IGNORED

10-year visas for over 50's approved

davidge

Just in case people haven't noticed there is an update in the article linked to in the OP: Thailand’s New 10-Year Visas Meet Mixed Reactions

From that article here seems to be a summary of the current state of the proposal's status:

Permanent Secretary of the Interior Kritsada Boonrat said Thursday he had no idea when it would come into effect.

An official in the visa and travel division of the Foreign Affairs Ministry said she did not know anything either.

“The announcement didn’t include the date of when this will be implemented, so we will have to wait for them,” she said.

There seemed no clear answers as to whether the visa would be a new offering or replace existing retirement visas.

My interpretation of it: it's a cluster fuck.....lol

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now - $25,000 USD in the bank and ~ $2000 per month in income. I qualify.

New - $90,000 USD in the bank and ~ $3000 per month in income. I do NOT qualify.

You really don't see how this can be construed as "anti-foreigner" ? :Think1:

The current arrangement only allows you to stay one year then has to be done again. This is a long-stay option.

Just in case people haven't noticed there is an update in the article linked to in the OP: Thailand’s New 10-Year Visas Meet Mixed Reactions

From that article here seems to be a summary of the current state of the proposal's status:

Permanent Secretary of the Interior Kritsada Boonrat said Thursday he had no idea when it would come into effect.

An official in the visa and travel division of the Foreign Affairs Ministry said she did not know anything either.

“The announcement didn’t include the date of when this will be implemented, so we will have to wait for them,” she said.

There seemed no clear answers as to whether the visa would be a new offering or replace existing retirement visas.

My interpretation of it: it's a cluster fuck.....lol

The 3m needs to stay in the account for 1st year of 5 or 10? I.e. money has to go back in for the second 5 year term?

According to what is posted in this thread the report in Thai states that this is an additional avenue rather than a replacement for what is already in place. As I posted yesterday these type of statements are premature as we do not yet have any indication on how this will be implemented.

Totally understand there's nothing set in stone about any of this - just "answering" brewster.

The current arrangement only allows you to stay one year then has to be done again. This is a long-stay option.

Excuse me but the current option is $25K USD in the bank. The new one is $90K USD. And while I don't understand exactly the requirements for USING the money, i.e. withdrawing to live on AND the next requirement period and amount, for EITHER the current of the proposed new, even I know that having monthly income of $2000 USD and $3000 USD is a 50% rise in the requirement and more than likely a problem for some/many/most (pick one) of ex-pats wanting to stay in Thailand.

Also, MY best guess is most ex-pats, under the present requirements, struggled to get $25K in the bank,,,,,,,, never mind almost $100K.

So the MAIN issue isn't the proposed "longer stay" and the benefits of same (and people would still have to report every 90 days) it's the rather large $$$$$ requirements IF the new proposal REPLACES the current one.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Totally understand there's nothing set in stone about any of this - just "answering" brewster.

Excuse me but the current option is $25K USD in the bank. The new one is $90K USD. And while I don't understand exactly the requirements for USING the money, i.e. withdrawing to live on AND the next requirement period and amount, for EITHER the current of the proposed new, even I know that having monthly income of $2000 USD and $3000 USD is a 50% rise in the requirement and more than likely a problem for some/many/most (pick one) of ex-pats wanting to stay in Thailand.

Also, MY best guess is most ex-pats, under the present requirements, struggled to get $25K in the bank,,,,,,,, never mind almost $100K.

So the MAIN issue isn't the proposed "longer stay" and the benefits of same (and people would still have to report every 90 days) it's the rather large $$$$$ requirements IF the new proposal REPLACES the current one.

It makes perfect sense that the financial requirements are higher for a 10 year visa.

New - $90,000 USD in the bank and ~ $3000 per month in income. I do NOT qualify.

You really don't see how this can be construed as "anti-foreigner" ?  :Think1:

The real killer is the health insurance. Anyone over 75 or with health problems will probably not get cover so no visa. Hardly a retirement option.

It makes perfect sense that the financial requirements are higher for a 10 year visa.

jiFfM.jpg

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

You really don't see how this can be construed as "anti-foreigner" ?  :Think1:

Only if the 3 million in the bank or 100K per month were to replace the old rules. However, it appears that these new options are another mechanism to meet the criteria and are simply meant to complement the old system, not replace it. And if you meet the new criteria, you get a 10 year visa instead of the one year visa.

Just to edit the above from yesterday, it appears from the government website at http://www.thaigov.g...ovember-22-2016 that these new rules are intended to replace the old rules, not to simply complement them as I had thought.

However, it appears that these new options are another mechanism to meet the criteria and are simply meant to complement the old system, not replace it.

The officials said:

http://www.thaigov.go.th/index.php/en/cabinet-synopsis-/item/109144-the-cabinet-meeting-on-tuesday-november-22-2016

1)    Age requirement: Foreigner aged 50 or more who applies for Non-immigrant catergory O-A (Long Stay) from Thai Consulates in their countries or foreigner who travels to Thailand with other types of visa and wishes to change to a Long Stay Visa. Holder of this type of visa will be permitted to stay in Thailand for 5 years with multiple entry and granted for another 5-year extension with multiple entry.

- 1st category: They will be able to apply for a 2 X 5 years VISA O-A abroad (in their own country)

- 2nd category: People travelling in Thailand (with a VOA or tourists VISA) will be able to apply for a 2 X 5 years VISA O in Bangkok

Conclusion:

- Nothing has been said about changing something for the "VISA O (3 months done in Bangkok) + n year extensions (done in your immigration office)" = No change for married VISA and 50 yo VISA.

- Nowhere you can read a "replacement" ! Only some press websites interpreted it as a "replacement", but facts are that officials never speak about a replacement or a cancellation of one type of VISA or type or extension or their existing conditions

The new option is put forwards for Medical issues.and to seemingly encourage people who are already unwell to come to Thailand for medical treatment.

Why does it then require health insurance ?, by definition if someone is already illl they will have trouble in obtaining it

Why then does it need to be for 10 years ?, is it only for people OVER 50 who will have ongoing health problems for 10 years ?

Maybe it is as Scumbag says and its a cluster fuck but what it does show there is a will to increase financial requirements and to introduce compulsory health insurance for people staying in Thailand that are over 50 and not holiday makers.

If this just disappears or leads to the implementation of these conditions for ALL retired people wanting to stay longer than on a tourist visa, or somewhere in-between will become clear over the coming weeks and months.

Fact : The retirement options financial criteria has NOT changed for at least 8 years.

Fact:  This new option, if its followed through is only for people of 50 years and older, just as the current one is

Fact:  To have 2 systems which are exclusively designed for the very same people but to keep one that has far less onerous conditions than the new one is pointless, who on Earth would bother with the new one ? very few.

Ok I'm using farang logic that to have these 2 schemes running side by side would be pointless but its so damn obvious that the Thais will also know that.

Reading some posts on here and many on Thai Visa its very clear that many are being deliberately blind to what's quite probably on the cards soon.

Again I hope everything works out well for guys directly effected by this and when changes come in to the current retirement option, because they will, all current holders are grandfathered into to the changed one.

For guys currently under 50 but looking to retire to Thailand in the future, do not base your financial planning on the current system, base it instead on the new option.

Fact : The retirement options financial criteria has NOT changed for at least 8 years.

The amount for 50 years old VISA & extensions have changes twice in 20 years: from 200,000 bahts to 500,000 bahts, then 800,000 bahts. Some people who obtained their VISA 15 years ago, are still today only showing 200,000 bahts when they are applying a new one year extension.

The new VISA's requirement may change, but for those who had recently a VISA, the condition wont change, still 800,000 bahts in their bank account, not 3 millions.

The new option is put forwards for Medical issues.and to seemingly encourage people who are already unwell to come to Thailand for medical treatment.

Why does it then require health insurance ?, by definition if someone is already illl they will have trouble in obtaining it

Why then does it need to be for 10 years ?, is it only for people OVER 50 who will have ongoing health problems for 10 years ?

Maybe it is as Scumbag says and its a cluster fuck but what it does show there is a will to increase financial requirements and to introduce compulsory health insurance for people staying in Thailand that are over 50 and not holiday makers.

If this just disappears or leads to the implementation of these conditions for ALL retired people wanting to stay longer than on a tourist visa, or somewhere in-between will become clear over the coming weeks and months.

Fact: This new option, if its followed through is only for people of 50 years and older, just as the current one is

Fact: To have 2 systems which are exclusively designed for the very same people but to keep one that has far less onerous conditions than the new one is pointless, who on Earth would bother with the new one ? very few.

Ok I'm using farang logic that to have these 2 schemes running side by side would be pointless but its so damn obvious that the Thais will also know that.

Reading some posts on here and many on Thai Visa its very clear that many are being deliberately blind to what's quite probably on the cards soon.

Again I hope everything works out well for guys directly effected by this and when changes come in to the current retirement option, because they will, all current holders are grandfathered into to the changed one.

For guys currently under 50 but looking to retire to Thailand in the future, do not base your financial planning on the current system, base it instead on the new option.

For those under 50 there is always the Elite option.

The amount for 50 years old VISA & extensions have changes twice in 20 years: from 200,000 bahts to 500,000 bahts, then 800,000 bahts. Some people who obtained their VISA 15 years ago, are still today only showing 200,000 bahts when they are applying a new one year extension.

The new VISA's requirement may change, but for those who had recently a VISA, the condition wont change, still 800,000 bahts in their bank account, not 3 millions.

Thanks for this but you must agree with the rest of my post ?

Change is inevitable and this new option shows the way its likely to go, or do you not think so ?

If not why ?

One of TAT,s recent slogans is their search for "Quality Tourists" this means ones with money to spend, do you not think this will also apply to people they are prepared to allow retirement there ?

True,  just because you have wealth doesn't mean you spend it and medical insurance doesn't mean you need it but having both means you have them..

The health insurance, as I've previously said,  makes total sense simply because old people will get sick and there is no reason the Thais should pay or subsidise their medical treatments and hospital stays.

I've just re read my posts on this topic and I confess they are negative as to what lays in store but they are unfortunately 100% realistic.

Conversely others are making assumptions and basing conclusions on them.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

For those under 50 there is always the Elite option.

Yes I've already mentioned that but again it comes down to money.

The simple fact is that many retired guys, not just in Pattaya but certainly in Chang Mai and Issan don't have 500k for 5 years, every 5 years.

I really cannot see Thailand continuing to let new guys retire there who don't and most definitely not without health insurance.

The new option, IMO, foretells the future for all new retirees  soon.

OMG I really don't want to sound so negative but as I've already said its realistic.

Yes I've already mentioned that but again it comes down to money.

The simple fact is that many retired guys, not just in Pattaya but certainly in Chang Mai and Issan don't have 500k for 5 years, every 5 years.

I really cannot see Thailand continuing to let new guys retire there who don't and most definitely not without health insurance.

The new option, IMO, foretells the future for all new retirees soon.

OMG I really don't want to sound so negative but as I've already said its realistic.

The Elite is 1m for 20 years.

One of the mysteries of life is why the retirement visa is 50, why not have no age criteria

Conversely others are making assumptions and basing conclusions on them.

I cant see the point of this new option without drawing the conclusions I've made and honestly anyone else who has read them cant seriously not, no matter if they really don't want to.

Lots of denial going on but this issue isn't like the tracking sim for all tourists, its real and easy to implement plus its practical and benefits Thailand.

By that I mean its for guys with more money than currently and who have health insurance. Those who can spend more, even if they don't and will be able to fully pay any medical costs they incur..

If it was in our own countries all guys would be screaming "Yes and about time" but I get the feeling that there is a huge amount of hypocrisy from many and basic shouts of "This is just so unfair"

The Elite is 1m for 20 years.

One of the mysteries of life is why the retirement visa is 50, why not have no age criteria

Because those 50+ guys aren't likely to be working illegally.

2 million for 20 years and 20k per annum excluding VAT.

http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php#Introduction

They recently introduced 4 new options which included a 10 year (no "frills") option for 800k & a 20 year (again no airport limo, spa, Golf etc...) for 1Million

http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php#Thailand%20Elite%20Program

Because those 50+ guys aren't likely to be working illegally.

Of course guys 50+ could be working. Some people want to be here with little money so would work if they could, probably too busy drinking though

They recently introduced 4 new options which included a 10 year (no "frills") option for 800k & a 20 year (again no airport limo, spa, Golf etc...) for 1Million

http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

I didn't even read my own link properly :Think1:

Thanks for clarifying it.

The 1 million for 20 years no frills, no airport transfers etc is definitely the one that has the most value.

If I was about to retire to Thailand I would grab this rather than the current or new retirement options.

50k per year + extension cost if you don't leave inside a 12 month period, no financial proofs - nothing !

Just pay the 1 million and your set for 20 years !

Oh wait a minute maybe they will withdraw it, cancel it. Thats always what some people say about Thailand Elite - see Thai Visa for the silly envious comments on that.

Archived