Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

10-year visas for over 50's approved

davidge

lol...have you been on the turps again.... :P

i was actually  a bit serious about it.

despite Thailand being the "land of smiles" they are takers rather than givers.

they have figured out that these old pricks living on the bread line and consuming community services don't deserve to live here.

what other reason could there be.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as the extension of stay on the 'O' visa remains the same then things would be OK.

The concern is that they'll look at that next.

A raise of the needed lump sum or monthly could be waiting next to come .... :unsure: . , but in the past they always respected "the grandfathering rule" for the existing extensions :rolleyes:  keeping for those the old requirements  

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

i was actually  a bit serious about it.

despite Thailand being the "land of smiles" they are takers rather than givers.

they have figured out that these old pricks living on the bread line and consuming community services don't deserve to live here.

what other reason could there be.

They are being more accommodating than most countries. For example there is no way a non-resident could do something similar in Australia without a huge wad of cash.

Also you are working on nothing but assumptions. Where is it unequivocally stated that this system will replace the current system? Where is your evidence that 'they have figured out that these old pricks living on the bread line and consuming community services don't deserve to live here'? I see very little that indicates (and what is is written in English and perhaps erroneous) that there will be any change to those that are currently living in Thailand under the visa the retirement route.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I am struggling to see how this improves things for us living here. 3M is a lot of money and all those unscrupulous types going to know you got some dosh. 

Lot more money involved and serious health insurance requirements - lots of scope for whatever...devil is always in the detail...

I suspect its the usual headline grabbing announcements to look good...hope i am wrong....but the past is a guide.

That's not the first time that ThaiVisa forwards false/unverified rumors to make the Buzz !

I'm not 50 yo, I'm not concerned but I really dont like what they are doing: why scaring peacefull retired people more than 24 hours ???

http://oknation.nationtv.tv/blog/akom/2016/11/23/entry-1

Posted today, Source: www.thaigov.go.th

Please forget everything has been said/wroten yesterday.

NOTHING WILL CHANGE ! :)

Why have this new scheme ?

The people it is for are the same as the existing one. Only the financial requirements and the health insurance are different.

It is most wishful thinking that nothing will change.

The last change was in 2008 that is 8 years ago so a change is overdue to the financial requirements, the health insurance makes obvious sense to include.

Before when the scheme changed people who were in it for several years were not made to follow the new change. It will be the same when this new scheme is introduced probably

It does not seem that old people living there now should worry but it will effect new people when its introduced.

It is most wishful thinking that nothing will change.

Google translatation (source www.thaigov.go.th)

อายุผู้สมัคร เป็นชาวต่างชาติที่มีอายุ 50 ปีที่ยื่นขอวีซ่าประเภทชั่วคราว (Non-immigrant) รหัส O-A (Long Stay) จากสถานกงสุลใหญ่ไทยในต่างประเทศ หรือชาวต่างชาติที่เดินทางเข้าสู่ไทยด้วยวีซ่าประเภทอื่นและเมื่อพำนักอยู่ระยะหนึ่งมีความประสงค์ที่จะเปลี่ยนประเภทการขอรับการตรวจลงตราเป็นแบบพำนักระยะยาว และอนุญาตให้พำนักในไทย ครั้งที่ 1 ไม่เกิน 5 ปี ในลักษณะ Multiple Entry และสามารถต่ออายุได้ ครั้งที่ 2 ต่ออายุให้พำนักในไทยได้ไม่เกิน 5 ปี ในลักษณะ Multiple Entry

Age of candidates is 50 years old and to foreigners applying for temporary visas. (Non-immigrant) Code O-A (Long Stay) from the Consulate General of Thailand abroad. Or foreigners who travel to Thailand on a visa and stay for a while with a wish to change the type to obtain a visa for a long stay. And allowed to stay in Thailand at one time up to five years in the Multiple Entry and can be renewed for the second renewal to stay in Thailand for up to five years in a Multiple Entry.

They never say that the VISA O + n X 1 year extension has to be replaced by a 10 years VISA O-A. That's your choice.

Google translatation (source www.thaigov.go.th)

อายุผู้สมัคร เป็นชาวต่างชาติที่มีอายุ 50 ปีที่ยื่นขอวีซ่าประเภทชั่วคราว (Non-immigrant) รหัส O-A (Long Stay) จากสถานกงสุลใหญ่ไทยในต่างประเทศ หรือชาวต่างชาติที่เดินทางเข้าสู่ไทยด้วยวีซ่าประเภทอื่นและเมื่อพำนักอยู่ระยะหนึ่งมีความประสงค์ที่จะเปลี่ยนประเภทการขอรับการตรวจลงตราเป็นแบบพำนักระยะยาว และอนุญาตให้พำนักในไทย ครั้งที่ 1 ไม่เกิน 5 ปี ในลักษณะ Multiple Entry และสามารถต่ออายุได้ ครั้งที่ 2 ต่ออายุให้พำนักในไทยได้ไม่เกิน 5 ปี ในลักษณะ Multiple Entry

Age of candidates is 50 years old and to foreigners applying for temporary visas. (Non-immigrant) Code O-A (Long Stay) from the Consulate General of Thailand abroad. Or foreigners who travel to Thailand on a visa and stay for a while with a wish to change the type to obtain a visa for a long stay. And allowed to stay in Thailand at one time up to five years in the Multiple Entry and can be renewed for the second renewal to stay in Thailand for up to five years in a Multiple Entry.

They never say that the VISA O + n X 1 extension has to be replaced by a 10 years VISA O-A. That's your choice.

Again I must make the point then.

Why introduce this new scheme ?, it has no sense compared to the existing one for 50 years and older unless the existing scheme is also to be changed.

Same scheme to be joined inside Thailand or in home country is obvious in future.

Now 800,000 baht or 65000 baht pension or mix of both for 1 year and 90 day reporting for 50 years and older.

New 3,000,000 or 100,000 or mix of both for 5 year x 2 and 90 day reporting and health insurance for 50 years and older.

To have 2 schemes that amount to the same, being able to live in Thailand only for 50 years and over but keeping one which has much less requirements makes nonsense of starting a new one without changing the existing one to the same.

Again I also point out that the existing scheme has not changed in money needed for 8 years so change is more than late.

It is not in our interest that things become more difficult but to deny that this new scheme will not have any change on the existing one and that both can run is wrong because it would be extremely stupid to make the new one alone.

No one would bother to get it for only not having to go immigration every year but having to show the new amount of money and prove health insurance.

It is most obvious that there will be only one scheme for retirement for 50 and older that can be joined inside or outside Thailand and that will eventually be this new one.

The only serious question is when

Again I must make the point then.

Why introduce this new scheme ?, it has no sense compared to the existing one for 50 years and older unless the existing scheme is also to be changed.

Same scheme to be joined inside Thailand or in home country is obvious in future.

Now 800,000 baht or 65000 baht pension or mix of both for 1 year and 90 day reporting for 50 years and older.

New 3,000,000 or 100,000 or mix of both for 5 year x 2 and 90 day reporting and health insurance for 50 years and older.

To have 2 schemes that amount to the same, being able to live in Thailand only for 50 years and over but keeping one which has much less requirements makes nonsense of starting a new one without changing the existing one to the same.

Again I also point out that the existing scheme has not changed in money needed for 8 years so change is more than late.

It is not in our interest that things become more difficult but to deny that this new scheme will not have any change on the existing one and that both can run is wrong because it would be extremely stupid to make the new one alone.

No one would bother to get it for only not having to go immigration every year but having to show the new amount of money and prove health insurance.

It is most obvious that there will be only one scheme for retirement for 50 and older that can be joined inside or outside Thailand and that will eventually be this new one.

The only serious question is when

There are 2 types of visa available now. The O-A and the O. Both are available from the Thai Embassy in the U.K. The O can also be obtained within Thailand.

It would appear that the new visa is either an optional 'upgrade' or replacement for the O-A. Both mention medical treatment etc.

If it stops there, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Like you, I do wonder if they will go on to look at the O visa, and extension of stay, requirements. They seem to have looked at or tightened up most other types of visa already.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Like you, I do wonder if they will go on to look at the O visa, and extension of stay, requirements. They seem to have looked at or tightened up most other types of visa already.

In the official .gov website statment they never talk about VISA O (replacement or duration of the extensions).

OK we can speculate about the futur of the VISA O + duration of the extensions + requirements, but that's not for today.

In the official .gov website statment they never talk about VISA O (replacement or duration of the extensions).

OK we can speculate about the futur of the VISA O + duration of the extensions + requirements, but that's not for today.

I still wouldn't be as blasé you appear to be.

If this turns out to be a replacement for the current O-A then it makes it more difficult for people. The question then is, what about those who already had an O-A and are now doing extensions? Will they be able to continue as now or will they be expected to meet the new requirements?

We will have to wait to see if this is implemented, when it is implemented and how it is implemented.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

The government has a tendency to make a lot of announcements that never come to fruition. Only time will tell concerning this one.

But if this does go through and it does replace the non-immigration O/A for retirement reasons a lot of folks will be hosed. 

One can hope this is another fine example of a trial balloon which met with a quick death?

They are being more accommodating than most countries. For example there is no way a non-resident could do something similar in Australia without a huge wad of cash.....

Do you have crowds of people looking to move to Aussieland to retire now? :Whistle:

Thailand presently requires an income five times their national average for a single retiree to call LOS their home.

And (referring to another poster) I haven't been looking but I don't see falang joining in bread lines or making undo use of community services? It's pay as you go in LOS or go home.  I respect that about Thailand and I have no quarrels with Jomtien Immigration which is professional and more than accommodating to us old farts.  But some of the notions coming out of Bangkok and some of the comments in this string make me shake my head at times.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

On the very same day of this announcement they reduced the fee they charge some nationalities from 2,000 baht to 1,000 baht and eliminated it entirely for a period of time for others.  It makes no sense to suggest the Indian tourists will flock to Thailand because the fee is reduced 1k baht while potentially  sending 10's of thousands of guys already living here out the door because of significantly higher bars to go over.

If this replaces the one year extension to stay based on retirement there will be a fire sale in the condo market.

I cant see them changing anything for guys who have been using the retirement thing but I can for new guys in the future.

Its all wait and see time though but I cant think of any need to introduce this new option because its a retirement permission and one already exists.

If I was a pensioner currently living in Thailand I wouldn't be getting ready to pack but understandably I would be concerned until the situation and the near future is clarified.

No pensioner condo fire sales on the horizon but maybe an indication of what guys coming up for retirement may be facing soon.

One can hope this is another fine example of a trial balloon which met with a quick death?

Do you have crowds of people looking to move to Aussieland to retire now? :Whistle:

Thailand presently requires an income five times their national average for a single retiree to call LOS their home.

And (referring to another poster) I haven't been looking but I don't see falang joining in bread lines or making undo use of community services? It's pay as you go in LOS or go home.  I respect that about Thailand and I have no quarrels with Jomtien Immigration which is professional and more than accommodating to us old farts.  But some of the notions coming out of Bangkok and some of the comments in this string make me shake my head at times.

I've often thought the same and wonder why the Thais are in the least bit concerned about us. Seems to me they already have the game sown up...we can't become citizens, we can't get any welfare, we can't get free medical/housing/education, we can't take jobs from Thais. All we do is spend money and eventually go home. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I've often thought the same and wonder why the Thais are in the least bit concerned about us. Seems to me they already have the game sown up...we can't become citizens, we can't get any welfare, we can't get free medical/housing/education, we can't take jobs from Thais. All we do is spend money and eventually go home. 

Even so some people do become a burden on Thais society. The one thing that I think is a good idea is the requirement that expats can pay for medical expenses. Obviously the easiest way to do that is to require those on long-term visas to have health insurance. However, I think that $10000 worth of cover is woefully inadequate.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Generally speaking, I don't see that as a terribly bad thing.

Wait till they get around to you, because they will. This regime was in responce to the demands of nationalists. Like their compatriots the world over they do not want foreigners in their country.

Wait till they get around to you, because they will. This regime was in responce to the demands of nationalists. Like their compatriots the world over they do not want foreigners in their country.

How is the making available a visa giving residency rights for 2 lots of 5 years pandering to 'nationalists'? Surely this is a relaxation of the system! Sure under the scheme you have to show more money at the outset but other than that it is more or less the same as what is already in place.

So for less money committed and no health insurance required you think they will keep allowing this old extension? Hopefully the only change they make is to require the health insurance on the old scheme. It would make no sense to not require that if they do for the other.

They are being more accommodating than most countries. For example there is no way a non-resident could do something similar in Australia without a huge wad of cash.

Yes because australia has an attarctive  welfare system and everyone wants to be part of it.

Also you are working on nothing but assumptions. Where is it unequivocally stated that this system will replace the current system? Where is your evidence that 'they have figured out that these old pricks living on the bread line and consuming community services don't deserve to live here'? I see very little that indicates (and what is is written in English and perhaps erroneous) that there will be any change to those that are currently living in Thailand under the visa the retirement route.

i am just pontificating and following the discussion.

as you know nothing is certain until it is enacted legislation and then after observing how it is applied will one only know the real effect.

BUT it doesn't look good for a lot of punters and i am speculating on the motivation behind it.

yes that seems to be direction the world is heading.

And (referring to another poster) I haven't been looking but I don't see falang joining in bread lines or making undo use of community services?

law and order,

sanitation

air pollution

all things that make up society and have to be paid for by someone.

i know you can say that is paid for by sales and turn over tax etc - but it seems the thai govt thinks that is not enough 

if you have a country of old people not working or contributiing to your economy  it will soon be in trouble - a big concern now in Japan and soon in China.

It's pay as you go in LOS or go home.  I respect that about Thailand and I have no quarrels with Jomtien Immigration which is professional and more than accommodating to us old farts.  But some of the notions coming out of Bangkok and some of the comments in this string make me shake my head at times.

'''''

yes.

its started with the first fleet and the 150000 British convicts in 1788.

the modern version gets here any way they can and are not so  much initially seeking to retire but to come here and prosper. 

admirable aims.

As you would know some are called boat people and are their treatment is the subject of a deep moral dilemma for a lot of Australians.

Marriages were hit last year, 4 people I know without kids whom had been doing the extension for years were refused on the grounds of not having kids.  Also the option of having a income vs 400,000, I was told last time they only cared about having the 400,000 in the bank, jomtien did not even care about how much my income was from abroad.  Plus I also had to take my kid to immigration when I gave them all the paperwork, first time i've ever been asked, also had a home visit which was also another first.....

The same thing happened at Korat. A friend had too show the physical amount he paid through receipts for his step daughters private school education. The elder gent is a very law abiding, retired and softly spoken person. 

Last year I was standing in jomiten Immigration waiting for my ticket, the guy in front of me had a Dave man's club Pattaya Tshirt on with a big Freddie Mercury muctchace, when they asked him and the Thai lady who was standing next to him who he wanted to see he askd for the marriage visa lol. I wonder how he is getting on lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

guess he wanted to 'Break free'

Archived