IGNORED

10-year visas for over 50's approved

davidge

Marriages were hit last year, 4 people I know without kids whom had been doing the extension for years were refused on the grounds of not having kids. Also the option of having a income vs 400,000, I was told last time they only cared about having the 400,000 in the bank, jomtien did not even care about how much my income was from abroad. Plus I also had to take my kid to immigration when I gave them all the paperwork, first time i've ever been asked, also had a home visit which was also another first.....

Last year I was standing in jomiten Immigration waiting for my ticket, the guy in front of me had a Dave man's club Pattaya Tshirt on with a big Freddie Mercury muctchace, when they asked him and the Thai lady who was standing next to him who he wanted to see he askd for the marriage visa lol. I wonder how he is getting on lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have an obtuse view of it:

it's just the yellow shirts ( BK elite) exacting revenge on the red shirts (lower socio-economic issan people) who make money from tourism and western ex-patts.

the bourgeois  just want the place for themselves.

bring this in - collectively puts pressure on the battling old age punter and he leaves - which can't be good for the red shirts

Thai version of the alt-RIGHT.

doesn't just happen in the US - worldwide nationalism is off and running.

as someone said to me awhile ago - a lot of westerners who retire in LOS are economic refugees.

in whatever form it comes it - it is not good news for them.

i have an obtuse view of it:

it's just the yellow shirts ( BK elite) exacting revenge on the red shirts (lower socio-economic issan people) who make money from tourism and western ex-patts.

the bourgeois  just want the place for themselves.

bring this in - collectively puts pressure on the battling old age punter and he leaves - which can't be good for the red shirts

Thai version of the alt-RIGHT.

doesn't just happen in the US - worldwide nationalism is off and running.

as someone said to me awhile ago - a lot of westerners who retire in LOS are economic refugees.

in whatever form it comes it - it is not good news for them.

lol...have you been on the turps again....:P

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Any letter from an embassy relies on trust that the embassy has checked and know for a fact that the amounts their own letter states are true.

Actually, at least for the USA, that's not correct.

The US citizen fills out the form certifying they receive $USD___________ per month (applicant fills in the amount of course.

All the US Embassy does is certify the person's signature is theirs; essentially the Embassy is only notarizing the person's signature.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

The US citizen fills out the form certifying they receive $USD___________ per month (applicant fills in the amount of course.

All the US Embassy does is certify the person's signature is theirs; essentially the Embassy is only notarizing the person's signature.

Yup this is surely going to need to change.

Think tne aussie embassy is the same from what mates tell me. Bear in mind a false declaration is a serious crimnal offence in oz and has (or at least had few years ago when I looked) a max imprisonment penalty of 10 years. No chance me personally putting myself in a position to be charged if anyone did a check.

3 million in the bank or a monthly salary of 100,000........Hmmm I wonder how much average pensioners whos is age 50+ who get a small pension from to native country every month,that lives in a small show box apartment in Niran condo for 4,00bht a month actually have 3 million in the bank  or make 100,000 salary per month to apply for this visa as at age 50 I think your working days are winding down.

Think tne aussie embassy is the same from what mates tell me. Bear in mind a false declaration is a serious crimnal offence in oz and has (or at least had few years ago when I looked) a max imprisonment penalty of 10 years. No chance me personally putting myself in a position to be charged if anyone did a check.

I believe it's the Thais that would make your life miserable for lying on the declaration. After all it'd be them you were lying to, not the U.S. or OZ.

Many old people now retired in Thailand must be very worried about this and I find no humour in it.

Made their planning and now cannot live there because of the changes but where to go and what to do for their last years.

To laugh at this is to be without heart

I hope that some compromise is achievable for them so they can end their days there.

I believe it's the Thais that would make your life miserable for lying on the declaration. After all it'd be them you were lying to, not the U.S. or OZ.

Our embassy is part of our country I thought so is an aussie crime but it may be as you say.

Our embassy is part of our country I thought so is an aussie crime but it may be as you say.

Yes, but it's a document you are actually giving to Thailand telling them you have enough monthly income. So I'm thinking it's Thailand you'd be lying to.

USA (don't know about Oz) is only verifying that you proved to their satisfaction it was you who signed the document. So you're not lying to the USA (or in your case Oz).

But I'm no lawyer so if anyone's concerned about it they should look into it.

Re these income decs from embassies. There have been recent reports over on TV of people been told by different immigration offices around the country that they now need to take these decs to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in BKK to be verified and stamped. So one more hurdle to jump over.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

Yes, but it's a document you are actually giving to Thailand telling them you have enough monthly income. So I'm thinking it's Thailand you'd be lying to.

USA (don't know about Oz) is only verifying that you proved to their satisfaction it was you who signed the document. So you're not lying to the USA (or in your case Oz).

But I'm no lawyer so if anyone's concerned about it they should look into it.

In the case of Australia I believe you have to make a Statutory Declaration. If so this is a legal document and making a false statement in one is a punishable offense.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but the Thais are tightening up on who they want to visit and live there and that revolves around how much money they have.

On the very same day of this announcement they reduced the fee they charge some nationalities from 2,000 baht to 1,000 baht and eliminated it entirely for a period of time for others.  It makes no sense to suggest the Indian tourists will flock to Thailand because the fee is reduced 1k baht while potentially  sending 10's of thousands of guys already living here out the door because of significantly higher bars to go over.

If this replaces the one year extension to stay based on retirement there will be a fire sale in the condo market.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

In the case of Australia I believe you have to make a Statutory Declaration. If so this is a legal document and making a false statement in one is a punishable offense.

It is the same at the US Citizen Services. 

You are required to raise your hand and swear an oath, hence subject to penalties if you are making false statements to a US Government official.

EDIT:

From Sulu:

".....USA (don't know about Oz) is only verifying that you proved to their satisfaction it was you who signed the document. So you're not lying to the USA"

No. that is not what they have asked me.   What they ask when you are attesting to the document is that "the information you provided is true to the best of your knowledge"  and you don't sign the document until after you attest to it before a US Government official.  You have filled in the blanks with your name and the dollar amount. That makes it a federal crime to lie to that official.  They already have your passport and have verified identity before they hand it to you for attestation, signature and then they add their notary stamp and sign it.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/22/govt-approves-10-year-visas-foreigners-50/

Minimum 3 million baht in bank.

Large monthly income.

Health insurance.

Not sure there'll be a rush to apply!

The report states that the applicant must "earn" at least 100,000 per month or have 3 million in a Thai bank account. Does that mean that if the 100K comes from a retirement account instead of earned income the applicant will be disqualified?

I have a heap of mates the marriage visa, haven't seen any changes to that yet.

Vast majority of expats near me have marriage visas and no kids. Nothing has changed fir them so far.

Bro there have been many changes to the marriage Visa over the last few years.

I cant remember the exact time-scales but a few years back they removed the option to use the wifes income - now it has to be shown as your own. We used to pop down the Tax Office - pay a few hundred baht and got a tax payment slip which proved the 40k a month by work the %% up from the tax paid.

Recent main changes are that they require photos with the children

I went to do mine on Friday, complete with all forms and photos of me with wife and son. This was all that was required up to last year.

They said we have to have a photo with said son taken in the presence of an officer i.e. in the Imm' Office. They did NOT want daughter there, I am not her blood father.

We explained that my son in in school in Rayong and it would take a long round trip to go and get him. To be fair they were very relaxed about it, they processed the application and told us to come back Monday with son, which we then did and all was fine.

I have absolutely no idea why they needed this as it is a "marriage" extension and not everyone has kids in the first place - but they did.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I cant remember the exact time-scales but a few years back they removed the option to use the wifes income - now it has to be shown as your own. We used to pop down the Tax Office - pay a few hundred baht and got a tax payment slip which proved the 40k a month by work the %% up from the tax paid.

I went to do mine on Friday, complete with all forms and photos of me with wife and son. This was all that was required up to last year.

They said we have to have a photo with said son taken in the presence of an officer i.e. in the Imm' Office. They did NOT want daughter there, I am not her blood father.

We explained that my son in in school in Rayong and it would take a long round trip to go and get him. To be fair they were very relaxed about it, they processed the application and told us to come back Monday with son, which we then did and all was fine.

I have absolutely no idea why they needed this as it is a "marriage" extension and not everyone has kids in the first place - but they did.

Cool great info, very much appreciated. Having a get together with half a dozen expats tomorrow and will let them know.

On the very same day of this announcement they reduced the fee they charge some nationalities from 2,000 baht to 1,000 baht and eliminated it entirely for a period of time for others.  It makes no sense to suggest the Indian tourists will flock to Thailand because the fee is reduced 1k baht while potentially  sending 10's of thousands of guys already living here out the door because of significantly higher bars to go over.

If this replaces the one year extension to stay based on retirement there will be a fire sale in the condo market.

I suspect that you're right, but don't you think there's a little bias in that those most likely to be affected, whether due to insufficient income or capital or simply because they don't want to commit by depositing that much money in Thailand, are more likely to be renting anyway?

Is this a national change or is it local?

Closer to home (for an American) Ecuador, Nicaragua and Panama are making major strides at attracting retirees to move there with modest income requirements, improvements in infrastructure and with much closer proximity for occasional visits home.  Spanish is a hell of a lot easier to learn than Thai from my experience and Panama and Ecuador use the US dollar as their official currency.

If I knew then what I know now about Thailand there might have been a different outcome for me personally.

Don't panic, today we have an official post from the government (and nothing has changed):

http://oknation.nationtv.tv/blog/akom/2016/11/23/entry-1

"อายุผู้สมัคร เป็นชาวต่างชาติที่มีอายุ 50 ปีที่ยื่นขอวีซ่าประเภทชั่วคราว (Non-immigrant) รหัส O-A (Long Stay) จากสถานกงสุลใหญ่ไทยในต่างประเทศ"

=

"Age of candidates is 50 years old and to foreigners applying for temporary visas. (Non-immigrant) Code O-A (Long Stay) from the Consulate General of Thailand abroad."

- They never speak about a "replacement" (of the 1 year VISA O-A, just an option for a new 2 X 5 years VISA O-A done abroad with new requirements),

- This concerns ONLY the VISA O-A done abroad (nothing to deal with the 3 month VISA O done in Thailand + 1 year extension)

The government has a tendency to make a lot of announcements that never come to fruition. Only time will tell concerning this one.

But if this does go through and it does replace the non-immigration O/A for retirement reasons a lot of folks will be hosed. 

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and called me honey.

I did not know her name, I did not know her name but I sure did love the way she laughed and took my money.

The government has a tendency to make a lot of announcements that never come to fruition. Only time will tell concerning this one.

But if this does go through and it does replace the non-immigration O/A for retirement reasons a lot of folks will be hosed.

As long as the extension of stay on the 'O' visa remains the same then things would be OK.

The concern is that they'll look at that next.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Why do they insist on the age of 50 for a retirement visa? Many people can afford the requirements but are not old enough to meet this arbitrary age of 50.

Archived