IGNORED

10-year visas for over 50's approved

davidge

I didn't even read my own link properly :Think1:

Thanks for clarifying it.

The 1 million for 20 years no frills, no airport transfers etc is definitely the one that has the most value.

If I was about to retire to Thailand I would grab this rather than the current or new retirement options.

50k per year + extension cost if you don't leave inside a 12 month period, no financial proofs - nothing !

Just pay the 1 million and your set for 20 years !

Oh wait a minute maybe they will withdraw it, cancel it. Thats always what some people say about Thailand Elite - see Thai Visa for the silly envious comments on that.

How ridiculous that you have to pay to extend it if you stay for more than a year. It should simple be a 20 year multiple entry visa period.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many recently and future US military retired would meet the new requirement of the monthly amount and medical. .....but still sounds like things are going to possibly get harder to qualify IF this comes true anytime soon. .....I'll wait and see. Plan on the worst. ....hope for the best.

The officials said:

http://www.thaigov.go.th/index.php/en/cabinet-synopsis-/item/109144-the-cabinet-meeting-on-tuesday-november-22-2016

- 1st category: They will be able to apply for a 2 X 5 years VISA O-A abroad (in their own country)

- 2nd category: People travelling in Thailand (with a VOA or tourists VISA) will be able to apply for a 2 X 5 years VISA O in Bangkok

Conclusion:

- Nothing has been said about changing something for the "VISA O (3 months done in Bangkok) + n year extensions (done in your immigration office)" = No change for married VISA and 50 yo VISA.

- Nowhere you can read a "replacement" ! Only some press websites interpreted it as a "replacement", but facts are that officials never speak about a replacement or a cancellation of one type of VISA or type or extension or their existing conditions

It's not clear from reading the instructions on the government website whether these new rules are meant to replace the old rules or to be an alternative to the one year retirement visa. It looks to me that it is meant to replace the old system, but I can't be sure. Much confusion is caused by the language saying that the retiree must have a "salary" of 100K. It doesn't say income. Does this mean pension or investment income doesn't count? Also, the website doesn't define OPD and IPD when discussing heath insurance..

It's not clear from reading the instructions on the government website whether these new rules are meant to replace the old rules or to be an alternative to the one year retirement visa. It looks to me that it is meant to replace the old system, .

Look... the officials are talking about a new VISA O-A done abroad, you are OK ? Now look at your passport, you have a VISA O done in Bangkok, so that's not your problem :)

Look... the officials are talking about a new VISA O-A done abroad, you are OK ? Now look at your passport, you have a VISA O done in Bangkok, so that's not your problem :)

Actually they appear to be talking about them (ie the new proposed visas) being done from abroad and from within Thailand. However, there is no clear indication either way about whether the proposed visa replaces the existing scheme or is a second option. Given that it was announced in the same communication that lowered the price of VoA for certain nationalities I am thinking that this is a scheme to make things easier rather than more difficult for foreigners.

I guess people's opinion of this depends on whether you are a half empty or half full type of person...:P

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

If they changed it to requiring 3 million baht in the bank or 100k per month coming in, there is going to be a lot of pensioners in trouble. Feel sorry for these guys. Hope it remains the status quo for you all.

not as simple in practice,,i just want to know can I keep doing my current 1 year extension based on retirement with the current monetary requirements,i do the affadavid way thru embassy,i really don't want to put 3 mill baht in thai bank and it is still a bit ambiguous how u can use it,,,i do make/have well over the amounts,i would not trust the elite card ,also med insurance could be awkward un gettable for many.we wait and see

also I suppose if it replaces current visa I assume your visa is still valid until next extension date then wammo lump it or like it

not as simple in practice,,i just want to know can I keep doing my current 1 year extension based on retirement with the current monetary requirements,i do the affadavid way thru embassy,i really don't want to put 3 mill baht in thai bank and it is still a bit ambiguous how u can use it,,,i do make/have well over the amounts,i would not trust the elite card ,also med insurance could be awkward un gettable for many.we wait and see

also I suppose if it replaces current visa I assume your visa is still valid until next extension date then wammo lump it or like it

That's the 3 million baht question.

It appears they will have two systems regardless since the new scheme will only apply to the 14 countries mentioned.

And besides not touching it for one year, you won't be able draw any of it unless it is for approved expenses, and then not more than 50%.

"...According to minutes of Tuesday’s cabinet meeting, the long stay, multiple-entry visa will be offered to citizens of 14 nations: Denmark, Norway, Netherlands, Sweden, France, Finland, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Japan and Canada. The application fee will be 10,000 baht.

The financial requirements alone are likely to exclude all but the most affluent.

Applicants must not only leave 3 million baht untouched for one year in a time deposit, but they cannot withdraw more than 50 percent, which they must show proof was spent in Thailand for such as medical, property, tuition or similar expenses, according to the resolution. Want to renew it five years later? Visa holders must again show 3 million baht in the bank or an income of at least 100,000 baht per month...."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2016/11/24/details-10-year-visas-meet-mixed-reactions/

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

Lol at who Lonely Planet think will use the thai visa...don't recall too many tourist couples like that in Patts  :)

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2016/11/24/thailand-extends-visas-over-50s/

555.....There's a few around but not so many.  Looks like an AARP* ad to me, 555.

*American Association of Retired Persons.  Known more for their left-leaning political notions than anything IMO. Noted for their token black, token Hispanic and token LGBT couples in every ad, 555. Bunch of wankers.

If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind. John Stuart Mill
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/john_stuart_mill

"If all mankind minus one were of one opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person

than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."  John Stuart Mill

555.....There's a few around but not so many.  Looks like an AARP* ad to me, 555.

*American Association of Retired Persons.  Known more for their left-leaning political notions than anything IMO. Noted for their token black, token Hispanic and token LGBT couples in every ad, 555. Bunch of wankers.

One of the sadder days of my life, getting the AARP solicitation informing me I was eligible to join them.

Being a Belgian I not even come into consideration, as Belgium is not among the 14 countries.

So, I suppose one can conclude, herewith, that the 1 year extension of stay will still be an option ( so far ).

Being a Belgian I not even come into consideration, as Belgium is not among the 14 countries.

So, I suppose one can conclude, herewith, that the 1 year extension of stay will still be an option ( so far ).

Yes. The 10 year visa is just a new option. It certainly won't suit everyone, much like the Elite option.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

i just want to know can I keep doing my current 1 year extension based on retirement with the current monetary requirements, //

Yes you can :)

As said previously this new Visa is a kind of "O-A ++" visa. You will have the choice - if you want to get an O-A Visa in your country - for the classical 1-year O-A or for this new 10-years (5-years?) Visa. But you will still have the possibility to choose the Extensions way rather than the Visa way to stay long-time and in this case nothing will change for you.  :)

Maybe more precisions in this article updated today:

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/12/long-stay-thai-visa-for-senior-tourists-to-be-extended-to-10-years/

Yes you can :)

As said previously this new Visa is a kind of "O-A ++" visa. You will have the choice - if you want to get an O-A Visa in your country - for the classical 1-year O-A or for this new 10-years (5-years?) Visa. But you will still have the possibility to choose the Extensions way rather than the Visa way to stay long-time and in this case nothing will change for you. :)

Maybe more precisions in this article updated today:

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2016/12/long-stay-thai-visa-for-senior-tourists-to-be-extended-to-10-years/

No offence (especially as Richard has perfectly summed up my understanding of the new Visa) but a post from somebody on Social media is hardly something to build you retirement plans on.

Again, the guy has verbatim listed my understanding/belief of what the new Visa is, but would you trust me when doing your retirement planning?

Archived