IGNORED

10-year visas for over 50's approved

davidge

I know US citizens don't need any proof to get the letter and I think I've heard the same applies to Australians but most others do.

The issuing of the embassy letters though is down to the individual counties embassies, maybe the Thais shouldn't accept any embassy letters and just rely on cash up front ?

Saying that though this retirement thing is partially about pensions and there is no way the Thais are going to check on everyone's so they trust the embassies will only provide a letter that they know is true.

Not just based upon what one of their citizens has told them.

You think immigration can not ask additional documents ?..... it is their magic line  ...that is why every office , desk, officer can make his own rules !

Now already Dutch embassy changed the rules for the affidavid / income , now appear in person with proof/doc.of  income , or not delivering it   :Think1:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No mention of the cost of the visa either which may add further pain. Cambodia one year visa for about $300 is very attractive.

Worth it for me as well to explore Laos visas.

No mention of the cost of the visa either which may add further pain. Cambodia one year visa for about $300 is very attractive.

The cost was mentioned, it's B10,000.

Yeah but lets be honest, who wants to live in Cambodia, i don't

You think immigration can not ask additional documents ?..... it is their magic line  ...that is why every office , desk, officer can make his own rules !

Now already Dutch embassy changed the rules for the affidavid / income , now appear in person with proof/doc.of  income , or not delivering it   :Think1:

I know about the US embassy letter requiring no proof and I have heard the Australian one doesn't either.

Nowhere did I say that the Thai immigration officials don't sometimes ask for further proof.

The point I was making was in agreement with the one Scumbag made which was that some embassies will issue an income letter without verifying that its true.

Yeah but lets be honest, who wants to live in Cambodia, i don't

lol it is not to bad. Doubtful I would do much different to where I live now and is a quick transit to Thailand

I know about the US embassy letter requiring no proof and I have heard the Australian one doesn't either.

Nowhere did I say that the Thai immigration officials don't sometimes ask for further proof.

The point I was making was in agreement with the one Scumbag made which was that some embassies will issue an income letter without verifying that its true.

You Americans does not fear the I.R.S. ....? as Embassy and I.R.S. are both government services .....remember those where the only ones who could get Al Capone in jail  ... :GoldenSmile1:

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

lol it is not to bad. Doubtful I would do much different to where I live now and is a quick transit to Thailand

Yes good point, do side trips to Thailand, might even make it more fun.

Just re read the very badly written/ translated 'news' piece.

Must have medical insurance of at least $10000 cover per annum.

Now I'm no medic, but I don't think 10000 bucks is going to get you very far in a US of A hospital.

Maybe the gov is trying to promote insurance companies and people from countries where medical care is very very expensive to come to Thailand for treatment where you will get more bang for your buck as it were?

Just a thought.

If it replaces the current retirement requirements many people will be in the shit, me included.

I know US citizens don't need any proof to get the letter and I think I've heard the same applies to Australians but most others do.

The issuing of the embassy letters though is down to the individual counties embassies, maybe the Thais shouldn't accept any embassy letters and just rely on cash up front ?

Saying that though this retirement thing is partially about pensions and there is no way the Thais are going to check on everyone's so they trust the embassies will only provide a letter that they know is true.

Not just based upon what one of their citizens has told them.

It wouldn't be too difficult for immigration to start asking to see proof of deposits alongside self-declared income declarations.

I knew this was going to happen when they tightened up on the marriage extensions, It was only a matter of time.  They started with the visa runners then worked their way through.  I had a couple of retired guys gloating about the crackdown on marriage extensions after people started getting refused if they didn't have kids and I warned them the requirements for a retirement extension had not changed for a long time and were due to be reviewed at some point, they both laughed at me!!!  I know most will claim a huge loss of income if all these retirees leave the country but I honestly don't think the people in BKK that run the country give a squirt of piss!!!  They have made that abundantly clear in the last year or so what they think of foreigners......

It wouldn't be too difficult for immigration to start asking to see proof of deposits alongside self-declared income declarations.

Ok lets lets follow this through.

A guy says he gets the Thai equivalent of 150k baht per month pension but its paid into a bank account in his own country and he just sends over money as and when he needs it.

The amounts he lives on in Thailand are small, less than 40k per month so that's all he ever sends over.

There is no minimum amount that he must send over, merely a requirement that he must receive it somewhere.

To prove this he produces a pension statement from his former employer and bank statements from his own counties bank that show the money is deposited.

As anyone can knock out such things on a computer do the Thais believe him or do they actually check with his ex employer ?

Very different if every month a deposit of around 150k is made in his Thai bank account from overseas naturally, then they can see the money.

Nowadays documents little to almost no value unless counter checks are made to verify their authenticity.

Money on deposit in a Thai bank with a letter from that bank confirming it have value which is easily provable domestically.

Any letter from an embassy relies on trust that the embassy has checked and know for a fact that the amounts their own letter states are true.

Well, reading through various sources, it's quite unclear what this new visa will 'replace' if anything.

Possibly just the O/A, possibly nothing, possibly every current 'retirement' option.

We'll just have to wait to see what materialises!

I really hope it isn't instead of all current options as that would have a huge impact on many people.

Of course, it may not be implemented at all, or changed in some way.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Well, reading through various sources, it's quite unclear what this new visa will 'replace' if anything.

Possibly just the O/A, possibly nothing, possibly every current 'retirement' option.

We'll just have to wait to see what materialises!

I really hope it isn't instead of all current options as that would have a huge impact on many people.

Of course, it may not be implemented at all, or changed in some way.

Let me be very clear I hope nothing is a changed because if it is in the way the news articles currently describe it will be awful for many people.

But lets look at what has happened recently, the multi entry visas were gone in a flash to be replaced with a rigorous set of conditions on the METV

Chinese zero dollar tourism suddenly squashed.

Border runners & ED visas tightened up on.

The retirement option was obviously going to be in the firing line as well.

If it does go through then the next target will be marriages of convenience because that is another way to get around staying but not having what the Thais perceive is enough money to do so.

The Thailand Elite scheme is bound to get far more uptake and may well be in for a set of price increases in the near future.

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but the Thais are tightening up on who they want to visit and live there and that revolves around how much money they have.

I don't disagree with you but there are quite a few things that are unclear from the articles.

They talk about promoting Medical Tourism and a new visa. This doesn't tie in with the current 'Extension of stay on basis of Retirement' but the 'replacing the current annual visa' could tie in with the O/A.

I too wouldn't be surprised at a lot of changes in the near future and further tightening up in many areas.

I've been saying for 18 months that this regime is NOT like previous ones.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Let me be very clear I hope nothing is a changed because if it is in the way the news articles currently describe it will be awful for many people.

But lets look at what has happened recently, the multi entry visas were gone in a flash to be replaced with a rigorous set of conditions on the METV

Chinese zero dollar tourism suddenly squashed.

Border runners & ED visas tightened up on.

The retirement option was obviously going to be in the firing line as well.

If it does go through then the next target will be marriages of convenience because that is another way to get around staying but not having what the Thais perceive is enough money to do so.

The Thailand Elite scheme is bound to get far more uptake and may well be in for a set of price increases in the near future.

I don't want to sound all doom and gloom but the Thais are tightening up on who they want to visit and live there and that revolves around how much money they have.

Marriages were hit last year, 4 people I know without kids whom had been doing the extension for years were refused on the grounds of not having kids.  Also the option of having a income vs 400,000, I was told last time they only cared about having the 400,000 in the bank, jomtien did not even care about how much my income was from abroad.  Plus I also had to take my kid to immigration when I gave them all the paperwork, first time i've ever been asked, also had a home visit which was also another first.....

I don't disagree with you but there are quite a few things that are unclear from the articles.

They talk about promoting Medical Tourism and a new visa. This doesn't tie in with the current 'Extension of stay on basis of Retirement' but the 'replacing the current annual visa' could tie in with the O/A.

I too wouldn't be surprised at a lot of changes in the near future and further tightening up in many areas.

I've been saying for 18 months that this regime is NOT like previous ones.

The key for me was specifically mentioning 50 years old and over, if it was just for medical tourism why mention an age ?

It's simple to prove , they just need to require that the 100K+ is deposited in to a Thai bank account monthly and the statements to prove it. BOOM, DONE, how will you argue against this?

It's simple to prove , they just need to require that the 100K+ is deposited in to a Thai bank account monthly and the statements to prove it. BOOM, DONE, how will you argue against this?

Probably becasue they will want proof that it is continuing income. It is either that or 3 million in the bank. It is Thais that we are talking about.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Humour sometimes doesn't translate on forum discussions :-)

Not everybody is rich and after a life of hard work I'm happy for the people who can enjoy the rest of their life living a simple life in the place they always wanted to be.

Also I hope that the pound gets stronger again, that the euro doesn't collapse and that the situation in the USA soon gets back to normal. I don't know if that is realistic but I do know that people who are not hoping for this to happen are nasty people.

Fantastic words

... but the Thais are tightening up on who they want to visit and live there and that revolves around how much money they have.

Generally speaking, I don't see that as a terribly bad thing.

I knew this was going to happen when they tightened up on the marriage extensions, It was only a matter of time.  They started with the visa runners then worked their way through.  I had a couple of retired guys gloating about the crackdown on marriage extensions after people started getting refused if they didn't have kids and I warned them the requirements for a retirement extension had not changed for a long time and were due to be reviewed at some point, they both laughed at me!!!  I know most will claim a huge loss of income if all these retirees leave the country but I honestly don't think the people in BKK that run the country give a squirt of piss!!!  They have made that abundantly clear in the last year or so what they think of foreigners......

I have a heap of mates the marriage visa, haven't seen any changes to that yet.

Marriages were hit last year, 4 people I know without kids whom had been doing the extension for years were refused on the grounds of not having kids.  Also the option of having a income vs 400,000, I was told last time they only cared about having the 400,000 in the bank, jomtien did not even care about how much my income was from abroad.  Plus I also had to take my kid to immigration when I gave them all the paperwork, first time i've ever been asked, also had a home visit which was also another first.....

Vast majority of expats near me have marriage visas and no kids. Nothing has changed fir them so far.

Haha, this is going to fuck you guys who are getting buy with only 800K in the bank and yearly renewals.

Not that I am one of them but why are you laughing about it?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Archived