Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips In Pattaya - Where?

Not a bad looking convection over / microwave, can I ask, how much it does it weigh and roughly what size it

Pip

Yes these things are the best and used by Starbucks, they cost about £2000 - £2500 in the UK and weigh in excess of 15-20 kilo's ... . top draw kit!

Hi,

Yes the wife is back early Tuesday morning so I doubt she will surface from bed until Wednesday then we will re-arrange our staff ^^ .. It will be sorted.

The second issue, er.. We decided and feedback from the Secrets forum to make our menu like a "British Chippy", if you order Cod in the UK you would just get Cod, each item is individually priced in the menu.. I know the TV screen did not help matters offering "Fish & Chips at 100 Baht" (small Dory 60 baht + small chips 40 baht). All I can do is apologize for the confusion and I will edit the TV thing in the next 2 days so its clearer.

I must say having the menu individually priced works really well, total customisation of you own meal, i.e Cod & Chips with say mushy peas, onion rings etc. Glad you enjoyed the food.

Thanks for the reply, I take your point.

I wasnt worried about the cost - just the time i.e. my fish arrived after 10 minutes, nice and crisp and nice and hot.

I then had to wait a further 10 minutes for the chips so now had a cold fish.

Just suggesting it might be worthwhile making it a little clearer as I doubt I am the only senile old bugger here :Whistle:

Bottom line for me is the food quality, and I will be back as it was excellent and now I understand it then it wont happen to me again at least :)

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Other suggestion mate - dont bin your food! There are plenty of good homes, hungry mouths, for unwanted food here in Pattaya. Its good to know you dont do as many would i.e. save them for the next day, but food wasteage is unnecessary in this town. There are various charities that deliver food to the slum kids in Banglamung who wont worry about a one day old pie - not sure how the locals will react to Steak n Kidney with mushy peas though 555

Jolly - this is NOT a criticism, as I said its god to hear you dont cheat - just a thought!

Ah Ha ! This is why there is confusion. ......................

Errrr no, I didn't say I was confused.

I was just questioning why you would charge differently in your restaurant next door, as I've been there more recently (saw another guy bring his own 7/11 water in lol).

I'm still sure that twice my bill said 30 Baht for water in the Jolly Friar, so perhaps the staff got confused - I don't know.

I'll risk another water in JF next time and see what happens.

I know it seems a very minor item, but a lot of people object on principle to unreasonable mark ups on water.

I really cannot understand, our price in the drinks menu is 20 baht and has never increase. I simply dont understand.

I still haven't checked, because both yesterday and today I was told "No have Cod" so I left.

Today I was further told "No have Cod long time" but I'm not sure if that meant previous to today or for the future.

Sounds like Whitesnider had the last one?

I went instead to Goose's tonight and it was a miserable experience.

I had this as #2, but I doubt I'll go there again.

I ordered the Cod fillet but I was given a tough-as-old-boots lump of loin. I had this once before so I knew I didn't want it again.

I queried it with the waitress but, not knowing that I have filleted many a Cod, she decided to educate me on their anatomy.

She conceded a little by only charging me for loin, but 270 Baht for chewy Cod, limp insipid chips, mushy peas and a slice of bread & butter doesn't do it for me - bye bye.

I dont know if he had the same problem as me, I spend 60,000 baht on Cod from our supplier and it arrived with "Freezer Burn", when defrosted the fish is like rubber and we refused to serve the fish instead we have a life time supply of fish for the fish cakes!

We have tried in vain to find a new supplier at the same cost as before and cannot, I will restock Cod but the price will go up significantly until I can arrange a better price elsewhere. We have however secured stock of Baramundi which is a lovely sea fish and is great in breadcrumbs or grilled (I think its a white snapper fish). This will be on the menu shortly.

Sorry about the Cod but I refuse to sell rubbery fish!

Oh and May the service girl has told us she will improve dramatically in her attitude and smile! We have given her one week rather then removing her straight away and not giving her a chance to improve, hope you guys understand... I will be keeping a close eye on May

Edited by Jolly Friar

Ah Ha ! This is why there is confusion. OK here is the problem, I rent the the ground floor of Le Katai and operate my restaurant there, I refurbished it 2 years ago and we have never looked back, HOWEVER Danny the lessee of Le Katai gets the revenue from "All Beverages" except Tea & Coffee... and he sets the price i.e 30 baht for water. I wont comment on the price but the Jolly Friar is 20 baht and I am sorry I have no control over the drinks prices at Le Katai. Sorry for any confusion! I do keep the meal prices down and have done so for 2 years now!

Saying you run the Le Katai and your F&C is next door to that should mean you are located just across the road from Opey... Must pay you a visit next time in Patts then (usually stay in Opey, but your F&C wasn´t there last year when i was there.

BTW really like your answers to rhe complaints mentioned here, proves to me that you are really running a serious business. Wish you all the best, and see you when i make it to LOS.

Cheers

Edited by 0069

Everyone has the right to my opinion

I dont know if he had the same problem as me, I spend 60,000 baht on Cod from our supplier and it arrived with "Freezer Burn", when defrosted the fish is like rubber and we refused to serve the fish instead we have a life time supply of fish for the fish cakes!

We have tried in vain to find a new supplier at the same cost as before and cannot, I will restock Cod but the price will go up significantly until I can arrange a better price elsewhere. We have however secured stock of Baramundi which is a lovely sea fish and is great in breadcrumbs or grilled (I think its a white snapper fish). This will be on the menu shortly.

Oh and May the service girl has told us she will improve dramatically in her attitude and smile! We have given her one week rather then removing her straight away and not giving her a chance to improve, hope you guys understand... I will be keeping a close eye on May

I've included a pic of the Aust Barramundi which are found in our tropical waters to the north in our rivers and ocean...its a great eating fish but not related to our snapper in anyway. It has a white flesh similar to the snapper but a sweeter taste and different texture which I like and have caught a few in my time. The ones caught in the ocean have a cleaner taste compared to the river bread barra which have a slight muddy taste.

I've eaten the imported variety, which I think comes from Vietnam, from my local fisho and you really cant taste the difference apart from it being frozen which waters down the taste a bit.

I'll be there in a few weeks so I'll drop in and give the barra a go.

Barramundi_Lates%20calcarifer.jpg

Edited by barmatt

I've included a pic of the Aust Barramundi which are found in our tropical waters to the north in our rivers and ocean...its a great eating fish but not related to our snapper in anyway. It has a white flesh similar to the snapper but a sweeter taste and different texture which I like and have caught a few in my time. The ones caught in the ocean have a cleaner taste compared to the river bread barra which have a slight muddy taste.

I've eaten the imported variety, which I think comes from Vietnam, from my local fisho and you really cant taste the difference apart from it being frozen which waters down the taste a bit.

Thanks for the info, the supplier in Bangkok although speaks perfect English (Thai / Indian) he was trying to tell me it was a white snapper! Now I am wondering if its Barramundi or a White Snapper ^^ eesh

Thanks for the info, the supplier in Bangkok although speaks perfect English (Thai / Indian) he was trying to tell me it was a white snapper! Now I am wondering if its Barramundi or a White Snapper ^^ eesh

I found out what you mean about the Cod supply yesterday when I went to stock my freezer - no have.

There was quite a lot of Pollock but I took their last 2 bags of Halibut.

It looks as though they're just running down the stocks now.

I need to find another fish which is OK and locally available. There must be one, but Dory is just so watery and tasteless.

Barramundi huh? Even the aussies import Cod though.

I just dream of Haddock myself. :Circle_Sharks:

I found out what you mean about the Cod supply yesterday when I went to stock my freezer - no have.

There was quite a lot of Pollock but I took their last 2 bags of Halibut.

It looks as though they're just running down the stocks now.

I need to find another fish which is OK and locally available. There must be one, but Dory is just so watery and tasteless.

Barramundi huh? Even the aussies import Cod though.

I just dream of Haddock myself. :Circle_Sharks:

Getting a good sized Cod fillet is very hard , getting stupid sized Cod Loins is possible (125g) but end up like fish fingers, the other option is buying huge Cod fillets which are 400 - 600g each and have to be cut and sorting out consitant portions is a real pain, plus Makro were selling Cod for 300 baht a kilo, KPK etc want 500 - 600 baht a kilo! ;o( Its a real headache

Edited by Jolly Friar

I've included a pic of the Aust Barramundi which are found in our tropical waters to the north in our rivers and ocean...its a great eating fish but not related to our snapper in anyway. It has a white flesh similar to the snapper but a sweeter taste and different texture which I like and have caught a few in my time. The ones caught in the ocean have a cleaner taste compared to the river bread barra which have a slight muddy taste.I've eaten the imported variety, which I think comes from Vietnam, from my local fisho and you really cant taste the difference apart from it being frozen which waters down the taste a bit.

Keep the fish in slightly salted water for 1-2 hours should remove the muddy taste

Everyone has the right to my opinion

I have good news and I have bad news . I thought I would give the Jolly Friar another chance so returned late last night for dinner . Didn't see May so I figured she'd been let go . Placed order with the other waitress and when the fish arrived I cut in to see it was undercooked . I sent it back and another order came out with the same waitress with no concern or apology for the undercooked first order. The replacement order was dripping oil and and I had to

use tissue to soak up some of the excess . I was very hungry so I ate it but was not up to previous standards . Was there a new cook on Saturday night ?

When it was time to clear away the table , to my surprise , out comes May and actually smiled when she asked if I was finished before removing the plate . When she came back for check bin she was very pleasant . I probably would not have recognized her except for her wearing the short dress showing off her long legs as I had never seen her smile before .

There you have my latest experience in your restaurant .

I have good news and I have bad news . I thought I would give the Jolly Friar another chance so returned late last night for dinner . Didn't see May so I figured she'd been let go . Placed order with the other waitress and when the fish arrived I cut in to see it was undercooked . I sent it back and another order came out with the same waitress with no concern or apology for the undercooked first order. The replacement order was dripping oil and and I had to

use tissue to soak up some of the excess . I was very hungry so I ate it but was not up to previous standards . Was there a new cook on Saturday night ?

When it was time to clear away the table , to my surprise , out comes May and actually smiled when she asked if I was finished before removing the plate . When she came back for check bin she was very pleasant . I probably would not have recognized her except for her wearing the short dress showing off her long legs as I had never seen her smile before .

There you have my latest experience in your restaurant .

Sorry about your meal, I will immediately check who was the chef last night and speak with them regarding the under cooked dish, it really is unusual but again I apologize.

Good news regarding May as once more complaint will see her removed and I will have my wife feedback your comments tonight.

Thank you for the feedback... off to the kitchen now!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jolly Friar,

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you posting on the board, and listening to feedback from the boardmembers. I havent stopped by your restraunt yet, but after reading this topic and your replies to the baordmembers I will definitely be by when I make my next trip at the end of April. Its always reassuring to eat a at a place where you know that the owner is active and cares about the products and services they provide. See you in April!

Hey Jolly Friar,

Just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you posting on the board, and listening to feedback from the boardmembers. I havent stopped by your restraunt yet, but after reading this topic and your replies to the baordmembers I will definitely be by when I make my next trip at the end of April. Its always reassuring to eat a at a place where you know that the owner is active and cares about the products and services they provide. See you in April!

Good post, its good to support business owners who take the time and effort to answer members queries and deal with concerns.

Hey Jolly Friar,

Thanks! To be honest its you guys doing me a favour, its much easier having hundreds of eyes and ears and its also easy to become complacent.. so all feedback welcome. Ian

really good fish chips and mushy peas although the chips are a bit of a cross between roast potato and chips they taste lovely

twice this week

I gotta say Me and Las Vegas Paul and Ruffles and the Viking went over to the Jolly , we were all feening for fish and chips all except viking he can't stand fish, but he gave it a go. ate every thing on his plate

I asked him if he was that hungry and said no the food was that good!

the Jolly Friar gets a big thumbs up from Team Awesome

I gotta say Me and Las Vegas Paul and Ruffles and the Viking went over to the Jolly , we were all feening for fish and chips all except viking he can't stand fish, but he gave it a go. ate every thing on his plate

I asked him if he was that hungry and said no the food was that good!

the Jolly Friar gets a big thumbs up from Team Awesome

Indeed, I NEVER eat fish, but that was good!