IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips In Pattaya - Where?

Where's the barramundi Mr Jolly?? wasn't on the menu the other night so settled for the halibut, which was tasty in the beery batter. Glad I only ordered the medium chips the large sever would have been way too much.

Overall a good meal and prompt service

Will return in the future

I'll stick my neck out here, but in over 20 years of trying fish and chips in Thailand, i have NEVER had anything that resembles true F&C's that you buy in the UK in traditional chippies.

Where's the barramundi Mr Jolly?? wasn't on the menu the other night so settled for the halibut, which was tasty in the beery batter. Glad I only ordered the medium chips the large sever would have been way too much.

Overall a good meal and prompt service

Will return in the future

Hi , I had a falling out with the supplier in Bangkok after he sent me the fish in cased in ice thus nearly halving the weight.. I have about 20 kilo of Baramundi in the freezer upstairs but its only good in breadcrumbs or grilled not ideal for batter in my opinion ... I nice find a better supplier but at the moment I am trying to get to grips with the China Garden..I hope you understand but its not forgotten

I'll stick my neck out here, but in over 20 years of trying fish and chips in Thailand, i have NEVER had anything that resembles true F&C's that you buy in the UK in traditional chippies.

I think your right in some ways, without the right potatoes and oil and even access to the same fish its hard to replicate the total UK F&C experience but we do our very best with what's available here and most enjoy it but I do take your point.

Original Fish 'n Chips?

Never had it, not even in the UK.

Everything they served me just resembled F&C and most of the times they limit themselves to using breadcrumbs instead of batter.

The last time i was in pattaya last december the best fish and chips i ever had was in the Tara Court hotel in O'Gara's resturant, the fish was absolutely smashing and it was cod the real thing, chips were good too. Try it you won't be disappointed..............

Hi chaps,

Just quick update as been in patts for while now & stil the best fish n chips in town in my mind is Jolly Friar, Soi Lengkee.

Consitently good food and good sized portions & recently introduced few friends to the JF & they liked it too.

Large Dory fish and small chips (140bt) does the job for me as chips are huge!!

Was only dissapointed wen i tried the cod portion & it arrived in breadcrumbs , bit bland & tasteless, as thought would be battered, preffered the Dory fish to be honest.

Dont mind the staff as tend to get served quickly as am there at least once p/wk.

Keep up the good work!!!

Cheers,

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

• 1 month later...

Thanks! To be honest its you guys doing me a favour, its much easier having hundreds of eyes and ears and its also easy to become complacent.. so all feedback welcome. Ian

Just quick update as been in patts for while now & stil the best fish n chips in town in my mind is Jolly Friar, Soi Lengkee.

Consitently good food and good sized portions & recently introduced few friends to the JF & they liked it too.

Large Dory fish and small chips (140bt) does the job for me as chips are huge!!

Was only dissapointed wen i tried the cod portion & it arrived in breadcrumbs , bit bland & tasteless, as thought would be battered, preffered the Dory fish to be honest.

I'm afraid the Jolly Friar is slipping down my chart, or at least it would be if anyone else was doing any better - my last try at Goose's a couple of weeks back was rubbish for the price.

My previous visit to JF I too was served my Cod in breadcrumbs.

I checked the Menu - definitely Beer Batter. I asked the waitress why and she just shrugged.

TiT so I just ate it - not impressed with the Cod at all.

I asked the Cashier why I had breadcrumbs, but she just shrugged.

Then the cook appeared so I asked her - "I dunno too, I forget" she said and just laughed.

Yesterday I ordered the Cod at 200 Baht (not inc chips etc).

It came in Beer Batter OK as I had stipulated it, but the fish was tasteless, insignificant and very watery.

If I didn't think more of this place I would accuse them of serving me Dory. Either way, it was not Cod as I know it. If I'm going to live with the taste (none) and texture (watery) of Dory then I'll pay Dory price.

JF, you have obviously not solved your Cod supply problem yet and at 200 Baht I'll be taking an even longer break before trying again I'm afraid.

Opinions about F&C vary greatly, probably depending what you're used to back home.

For a reference point I was used to this HERE

I do accept that it is difficult if not impossible to replicate that in Pattaya, but will continue to look for those who do the best at it.

I'm afraid the Jolly Friar is slipping down my chart, or at least it would be if anyone else was doing any better - my last try at Goose's a couple of weeks back was rubbish for the price.

My previous visit to JF I too was served my Cod in breadcrumbs.

I checked the Menu - definitely Beer Batter. I asked the waitress why and she just shrugged.

TiT so I just ate it - not impressed with the Cod at all.

I asked the Cashier why I had breadcrumbs, but she just shrugged.

Then the cook appeared so I asked her - "I dunno too, I forget" she said and just laughed.

Yesterday I ordered the Cod at 200 Baht (not inc chips etc).

It came in Beer Batter OK as I had stipulated it, but the fish was tasteless, insignificant and very watery.

If I didn't think more of this place I would accuse them of serving me Dory. Either way, it was not Cod as I know it. If I'm going to live with the taste (none) and texture (watery) of Dory then I'll pay Dory price.

JF, you have obviously not solved your Cod supply problem yet and at 200 Baht I'll be taking an even longer break before trying again I'm afraid.

Opinions about F&C vary greatly, probably depending what you're used to back home.

For a reference point I was used to this HERE

I do accept that it is difficult if not impossible to replicate that in Pattaya, but will continue to look for those who do the best at it.

Hi,

I will check in to it, Cod is Breadcrumbs or Batter is available but they are different numbers on the menu.. I can only assume the girl wrote down the wrong number. Cod is very different to Dory in texture, size and taste so it should be easily distinguishable. We buy whole fillets from KPK and cut them in half, we have electronic scales to make sure the portions are above 230g every time, the fish is thicker and more flaky then the Dory fillets and a clean taste... we use about 30 kilo's of Cod but I will check with KPK if its a new supplier

Sorry about the 2 bad meals, we recently dismissed May who was "grumpy" and hoped that would improve the service... I will get in there today and have "a few words"

Thanks for the heads up

Ian

Hi,

I will check in to it, Cod is Breadcrumbs or Batter is available but they are different numbers on the menu.. I can only assume the girl wrote down the wrong number. Cod is very different to Dory in texture, size and taste so it should be easily distinguishable. We buy whole fillets from KPK and cut them in half, we have electronic scales to make sure the portions are above 230g every time, the fish is thicker and more flaky then the Dory fillets and a clean taste... we use about 30 kilo's of Cod but I will check with KPK if its a new supplier

Sorry about the 2 bad meals, we recently dismissed May who was "grumpy" and hoped that would improve the service... I will get in there today and have "a few words"

Thanks for the heads up

Ian

Thanks.

I've never noticed the breadcrumbed option as I've always ordered from the list under Beer Batter. I think it was a mistake in the kitchen rather than by the waitress judging by the cook's reaction. Not a big deal.

On the fish front, I worked for a fish wholesaler based in Hull (J Marr) a long time ago supplying F&C shops and restaurants around Lincolnshire and I still like to think I can tell the difference but it's hard to be sure sometimes when it's skinless.

I'd say that if that was Cod, it was very immature Codling (thin not flaky) which usually means <8 oz (30 gms) fillets. I hesitate to accuse, but although it was a reasonable size portion, it did not strike me as anywhere near 8 oz or a whole fillet. Neither do I think it was half of a 16oz fillet.

We had this discussion before, but I forget the answer, do you mean you weigh the raw fish with a view to estimating a portion size on the plate of 230 gms including batter & oil? Even so, what was on my plate did not look like 230 gms and it was a far cry what what I had there when you first opened.

Sorry to be blunt, but if that was your Cod Portion at 200 Baht, then it's all a bit academic I'm afraid.

Thanks for answering anyway.

Bit out of town but just in case anyone is in the area, a new Chippy opened last night in Bang Saray.

Had Dory (never checked the size guys sorry), chips and mushy peas.

Dory was..........well Dory. The batter was great and the fish was ..well, Dory.

Chips were real spuds and tasted absolutely TOP notch - best chips I have anywhere in ages.

Mushy peas were fine.......hard to elucidate about mushy peas really just to say they were not too thick and not too watery.

The owner insisted I had half a steak n kidney pie with him as he makes them himself and is clearly very proud of them. Pastry was shortcrust and thin. Filling was almost solid meat. Most people complain about "too much gravy", if anything the pie had maybe too little.

For those who know Bang Saray, its opposite "The Local" pub maybe 30 meters further up towards Sukhumvit (away from the beach).

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

fish in breadcrumbs with crinkle french fries and tatarsauce.soi buakaow, soi 13 , small restaurant ,,curry up ,, on the left side/i think only 119 bath.drinks are very cheap in the street.

• 3 weeks later...

Has not been able to find a really gd F&C yet. Tried it at only at pig & whistle and jolly friar.

Pig & Whistle - The fish was more tasteful but I find the platter too thick. The tartar sauce was good though.

Jolly Friar - Order a cod fish platter with chips. The platter was about the size i like but I find it not as tasteful. The medium range chips comes in a really huge portion so it will be gd for ppl who are really hungry or a big eater.

Cheers!

I hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it.

No Cod at JF's and I think I had the last Halibut.

I've about given up looking for now - another few weeks and I get to taste Haddock back in Blighty.

• 2 weeks later...

last time i had the fish/chips at jolly frier the fish was waterly and the chips were under cooked used to be half decent

last time i had the fish/chips at jolly frier the fish was waterly and the chips were under cooked used to be half decent

That would probably be the Dory. It usually is like that.

I've tried leaving it to drain after thawing and dipping it in flour to dry it some more, but it's never exciting.

Last time I went to Jolly Friar, the chips were sort of mushy rather than undercooked. I would say they over did the blanching and then under did the frying, which would have made them crispier.

I gave up on Pattaya last week and rode over to Simon's at Jomtien.

It's still as good as ever and they do have Cod, but at 315 Baht for Large Cod & Chips & Mushy Peas it ain't a cheap option.

Simon's also offers Dory at a lower price, but Dory isn't anything like Cod, let alone my favourite Haddock.

Thanks.

I've never noticed the breadcrumbed option as I've always ordered from the list under Beer Batter. I think it was a mistake in the kitchen rather than by the waitress judging by the cook's reaction. Not a big deal.

On the fish front, I worked for a fish wholesaler based in Hull (J Marr) a long time ago supplying F&C shops and restaurants around Lincolnshire and I still like to think I can tell the difference but it's hard to be sure sometimes when it's skinless.

I'd say that if that was Cod, it was very immature Codling (thin not flaky) which usually means <8 oz (30 gms) fillets. I hesitate to accuse, but although it was a reasonable size portion, it did not strike me as anywhere near 8 oz or a whole fillet. Neither do I think it was half of a 16oz fillet.

We had this discussion before, but I forget the answer, do you mean you weigh the raw fish with a view to estimating a portion size on the plate of 230 gms including batter & oil? Even so, what was on my plate did not look like 230 gms and it was a far cry what what I had there when you first opened.

Sorry to be blunt, but if that was your Cod Portion at 200 Baht, then it's all a bit academic I'm afraid.

Thanks for answering anyway.

Maybe they weighed it when it was still frozen? :Circle_Sharks:

Try Jamesons on soi 12 or 10 off Pattaya Klang what you pay for is what you get, alternatively Soi 6 pub do a lovely fish & chips for 220 baht opposite Quicky bar Queen Vic me thinks!

Maybe they weighed it when it was still frozen? :Circle_Sharks:

Try Jamesons on soi 12 or 10 off Pattaya Klang what you pay for is what you get, alternatively soi 6 pub do a lovely fish & chips for 220 baht opposite Quicky bar Queen Vic me thinks!

I tried Queen Vic - not impressed. Jamiesons is how much?

About another 5 weeks and I should be standing here ordering Haddock.

Upton.JPG

Great Fish & Chips at the Irish Wolfhound. Pratumnak Soi 4.

My favourite last visit.

grit

Edited by grityorteef

Just had the best F&C's i ever had in Pattaya. At home.

Home made beer batter,( you can buy McDougalls flour in Central Beach) Mazola oil, large tail fillet of Red Snapper, its a very moist fish perfect for deep frying IMHO. Fresh cut chips, blanched first, then crisped up after the fish was cooked. Tin mushy peas, bread and butter.

Served with Sarsons vinegar, none of that Heinz malt places crap serve up, and washed down with a large bottle Sam Migel Lite

Try Jamesons on soi 12 or 10 off Pattaya Klang what you pay for is what you get, .........................

What you get is still that kin Dory not Cod.

What you pay is 360 Baht for F & C & Peas. That's too much for Dory, it's cheap as chips here - well, cheaper actually. GoldenSmile1.gif

Just had a large cod and chips at Simons in Jontiem, thought the Cod was excellent, fantastic batter, agree the chips are a bit small but taste good, Mushy peas were good too.. I, for one, will be going back

Just had a large cod and chips at Simons in Jontiem, thought the Cod was excellent, fantastic batter, agree the chips are a bit small but taste good, Mushy peas were good too.. I, for one, will be going back

You won't get a lot who'll disagree that Simon's in Jomtien does the best F & C in Jomtien, but this thread is about the best F & C in Pattaya. Circle_Sharks.gif

That would probably be the Dory. It usually is like that.

I've tried leaving it to drain after thawing and dipping it in flour to dry it some more, but it's never exciting.

Last time I went to Jolly Friar, the chips were sort of mushy rather than undercooked. I would say they over did the blanching and then under did the frying, which would have made them crispier.

I gave up on Pattaya last week and rode over to Simon's at Jomtien.

It's still as good as ever and they do have Cod, but at 315 Baht for Large Cod & Chips & Mushy Peas it ain't a cheap option.

Simon's also offers Dory at a lower price, but Dory isn't anything like Cod, let alone my favourite Haddock.

I went to the jolly friar the other day, i had the cod at 200 baht and you get a choice of breadcrumbs or batter. I had the batter which was excellent,and a good size too. I had a small portion of chips, although there were plenty i agree with you they were mushy and not crispy.

Will i go back ......of course but will only have the cod and mushy peas.