IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips In Pattaya - Where?

I like simons in jomtien myself

Thai T-Shirt Factory is your one stop screen print and custom clothing solution.

Visit us now: ThaiTshirtFactory.com

If You Think It! We Can Print It!

• 2 weeks later...

I just opened a great new fish & chips restaurant in Soi Lengkee called the The Jolly Friar, Fish & Chips start from 100 Baht!

Beer batter, home made chips and Cod, Flake, Dory, Halibut & Parrot fish on the menu plus other dishes... plus full Thai menu

Jolly-Friar2aaa.jpg

I just opened a great new fish & chips restaurant in Soi Lengkee ........................

Not everyone knows where that is.

Can you edit in a map?

Also consider the Business Owners Forum if you haven't already.

I saw it on 2nd road 100m north Central Festival...looks empty all the time :( maybe needs a bit of advertising.

I saw it on 2nd road 100m north Central Festival...looks empty all the time :( maybe needs a bit of advertising.

Are you referring to Goose's Fish and Chips?

That's definitely Goose's he's talking about. Very good quality but a bit pricey.

I'll be trying Soi Lengkee soon.

Anyone know where you can pick up Australian style Fish & Chips? The Pommy way of doing batter doesn't do anything for me and to be honest puts me right off a meal.

Now that my mouth is watering thinking of Australian Fish & Chips if someone knows where I can get my hands on or a supplier of Dim Sims that would be AWSOME :)

I just opened a great new fish & chips restaurant in Soi Lengkee called the The Jolly Friar, Fish & Chips start from 100 Baht!

Beer batter, home made chips and Cod, Flake, Dory, Halibut & Parrot fish on the menu plus other dishes... plus full Thai menu

I'll be trying Soi Lengkee soon.

So I did, yesterday :-

030820101231pa.jpg

Firstly, the place is immaculate, certainly on a par with Goose's - good aircon and TV.

Service also excellent.

I ordered the 250 gm Cod, which was the only size offered, at 190 baht.

There are other, cheaper options of different fish, but this was the only Cod.

To put this in perspective, 250 gm is gannet sized.

For Brits, F&C shops in UK generally offer portions 2-4 oz. - this is almost 9 oz.

I can eat big and I was hungry, but this was really too big even for me. It was a meal by itself really.

I would have thought a smaller option would be a good idea.

That price is for the fish only i.e. add on chips and mushy peas.

Luckily I only ordered the small chips (40 baht) and I left some. The peas were 35 baht.

I didn't order a drink, but a glass of iced water arrived anyway which was not charged for. I don't know if that's normal practice or they took pity on me.

On the face of it the prices are highish, roughly on a par with Simon's a Goose's but remember that's for Cod and not Dory, which most of the low priced options are. Dory is OK btw, but not as meaty and a milder taste imo.

Quality:-

The Cod - I would give this an 8 (9s and 10s are rarely found outside Lincolnshire or Yorkshire UK). Taking into account the size, it was the best I've had in Pattaya.

The batter was light and crispy (unlike Pig & Whistle's concrete coating).

Without taking the size into account, it was probably a 7 alongside Simon's and Goose's. To put that in perspective I'd say NeeRoy's is a 2/3 and P & G a 5(at best) - for the fish.

The Chips - didn't really work I'm afraid. They were real and they were OK, but they were on the soggy side. Potatoes here can be a problem but I suspect these had been blanched for ease of final frying (not certain).

It's a good idea and can work brilliantly, but oil temperature has to be high or they absorb too much and don't crisp. If I'm wrong it must be watery potatoes but still oil temperature too low. They were also not very hot and I suspect were put out before the fish was ready. You could easily go another day and they'd be excellent.

The Peas - were mushy. No problem there - portion OK and slump value correct. The only place I know that can really mess up mushy peas is NeeRoy's.

That may sound super critical, but that's me.

It was a damn good meal and I'd thoroughly recommend it. :GoldenSmile1:

Fish looks good!!!! thanks for the info!!!!

pabannerscaled.jpg

Never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can sleep.

(Murphy's Law Of Combat)

As a fish n chip man myself i used to like the Seaside 2 on soi chaiyapoon for many yrs the best value.

But last time i had it was poor, very greasy, plate was nt clean too and just didnt enjoy it.

Had earlier tried Simons fish n chips JOmtien and they were great and the best have had so far and almost like back home and he does puddings too!!!

So my vote is get to Jomtien just before u hit the beach rd on the right sside you wil find Simons fish n chips.

Cheers

Sticky.

I agree with stickfingers Simons Fish and Chips in Jomtien opposite Lovejoys is great price is 195 baht for large Fish and Chips or for 199 baht you can have small fish and chips with pudding and tea or coffee also do great gammon,egg,onion rings,peas and chips for 250 baht this place is a regular for me never been disappointed and the chips just melt in your mouth

I agree with stickfingers Simons Fish and Chips in Jomtien opposite Lovejoys is great price is 195 baht for large Fish and Chips or for 199 baht you can have small fish and chips with pudding and tea or coffee also do great gammon,egg,onion rings,peas and chips for 250 baht this place is a regular for me never been disappointed and the chips just melt in your mouth

Simon's is definitely in my top 3, but if we're comparing like with like and quoting prices you really should name the fish.

Large Cod & Chips with Mushy Peas was more like 315 baht last time I went.

Dory is a lot cheaper everywhere, including Jolly Friar, Goose's and Village Chippy.

Does anywhere sell haddock?

Goose's, but it's about 470 baht, so, much as I prefer it, that's a non starter for me.

Nicky's Bar Soi Bukhaow opposite Sweethearts bar...damn the secrets out now!

Sorry, but that is not the best Fish & Chips in Pattaya.

It's an OK meal but..................

I'm not sure about the price, because the card said 230 baht, but when I checked my bill it said "Thai meal 199 baht. That included bread & butter.

Service, aircon and TV all OK.

The fish was a fair size, but the batter, although tasty and crisp on the outside, was too heavy. The fish was Dory I think. It was very wet.

I buy packs of fish from Makro and when I thaw them there is a lot of water. The factory spray it as they freeze it I think, to maximise the weight of water they're selling as they do with frozen prawns.

Even after the water is drained off the fillet needs drying.

I think this fish was battered and fried from frozen for it to be that wet inside.

The chips were crinkle cut, real potato and looked golden and crispy - yum yum? No, because they were under cooked/hard inside. I think they had been blanched before frying (hence the outer appearance) but not for long enough.

The peas were frozen and a bit hard but OK, except it has to be mushy for me.

I wouldn't have ordered the bread and butter but it was included.

There was tartare sauce but it was more like that sweet mayo'.

All in all it was an OK meal for the price, but I won't be going back for more.

Its good to see places specializing in Fish and chips as its not easy to get it right, I have tried the new one at the village and they were excellent, I have not tried the Jolly friar yet and I have tried Gooses but a bit pricey, I have noticed though that since the village Chippy and the Jolly friar opened Neeroys seems a lot quieter as they are quite close.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

kilkenny bar on soi LK Metro does a cracking fish and chips. Cant remember the price but it wasnt expensive. I sure will be going back there for fish and chips in august.

Its good to see places specializing in Fish and chips as its not easy to get it right, I have tried the new one at the village and they were excellent, I have not tried the Jolly friar yet and I have tried Gooses but a bit pricey, I have noticed though that since the village Chippy and the Jolly friar opened Neeroys seems a lot quieter as they are quite close.

You're right it's not easy to get everything right every time.

I've been to the Village Chippy twice now. I was annoyed the first time because they gave me Dory for Cod. The second time was good but I didn't post a review.

You love or hate NeeRoy's F & C and their mushy soup, but the price of 99 + 25 baht has its fans. Even on their best day they're not in the same league as Simon's, Goose's and Jolly Friar but the prices are higher there.

I'm taking " The Best Fish & Chips in Pattaya" to mean just that. The best is likely to be more expensive.

Thanks in advance.

FYI, ironically, I never had English food until Pattaya and now love it. I even bring back a few bottles of HP sauce since it's not sold in the States!

Fish & chips? Good god isn't any place sacred? Every beach and town center in the UK is spoiled by hordes of chip shops selling greasy badly cooked crap. When they're good they are very good but I reckon 90% of chip shops don't know how to fry.

Many previous postees have said pig and whistle, and i have to agree. i went in ordered my fish and chips and ended up with a blue whale and chipe, portions were massive. funny thin was two middle aged fellas came in with their two tiny 35kg TG and ordered 4 fish and chips whislt i was having mine. i was thinking, the girls may as well have one between them as i was full off 1! it would practically be their bodyweight, DOUBLED!

<EMBED SRC="http://games.webgamedesign.com/free/counter2-1.swf?title=Since%20I%20Left%20LOS!&count=down&time=1338968100000&bgc=0x0077cc&bgb=1&bgd=0&bc=0xcccccc&bb=1&bd=0&tc=0xcccccc&tb=1&td=1&uc=0x99ccff&ub=1&ud=2&nc=0x333333&nb=1&nd=0" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" NAME="Free Counter" ALIGN=MIDDLE WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=100 quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">

Gooses on second road between soi 7 & 8 is expensive but the best IMO. :10of10Score:

Many previous postees have said pig and whistle, and i have to agree. i went in ordered my fish and chips and ended up with a blue whale and chipe, portions were massive...................

I have been to the Pig & Whistle many times and I will go again in case it has improved and do a proper report.

If you are only talking about portion size , regardless of quality, P & G would be up there somewhere.

For me personally, the best F & C in Pattaya will at least include the option of Cod. Haddock would be even better (at Goose's but too expensive). My Top 5 is not likely to include somewhere that only offers Dory, or whatever that is the P & W uses.

The P & W is an excellent restaurant with excellent service and offers some really good meals without doubt.

Their chips are very good as are the mushy peas. The fish portion size appears to be very generous too. The reason it fails with me is their batter. It is like concrete and very thick. I'm guessing they pre-cook and re-dip and fry again.

If you prefer light to medium batter not overwhelming the fish you will be disappointed. If you just want gut filler it serves the purpose, but you will often see plates returned with a mass of batter on them. The fish portion inside is not that big and it's pretty tasteless.

Some people are easily satisfied, including in the UK, but if you've tasted it done properly around Lincolnshire and Yorkshire there is no going back. It's suffered the effects of becoming a chain, but eg Harry Ramsden set a benchmark for F & C in UK, matched and even surpassed by many individuals who took/take their trade seriously.

I have been to the Pig & Whistle many times and I will go again in case it has improved and do a proper report.

If you are only talking about portion size , regardless of quality, P & G would be up there somewhere.

For me personally, the best F & C in Pattaya will at least include the option of Cod. Haddock would be even better (at Goose's but too expensive). My Top 5 is not likely to include somewhere that only offers Dory, or whatever that is the P & W uses.

The P & W is an excellent restaurant with excellent service and offers some really good meals without doubt.

Their chips are very good as are the mushy peas. The fish portion size appears to be very generous too. The reason it fails with me is their batter. It is like concrete and very thick. I'm guessing they pre-cook and re-dip and fry again.

If you prefer light to medium batter not overwhelming the fish you will be disappointed. If you just want gut filler it serves the purpose, but you will often see plates returned with a mass of batter on them. The fish portion inside is not that big and it's pretty tasteless.

Some people are easily satisfied, including in the UK, but if you've tasted it done properly around Lincolnshire and Yorkshire there is no going back. It's suffered the effects of becoming a chain, but eg Harry Ramsden set a benchmark for F & C in UK, matched and even surpassed by many individuals who took/take their trade seriously.

Love Harry Ramsdens, in Pattaya like Neeroys a bargin at 99 baht(nice chips too) and the village chippy

Love Harry Ramsdens, in Pattaya like Neeroys a bargin at 99 baht(nice chips too) and the village chippy

Harry Ramsden's is a very distant memory when they still had the kids' swings up north of Leeds _ I hear the chain is in trouble now.

Sorry to disagree, but I can't possibly put Neeroy's in the same class as Village Chippy, Goose's or Simon's.

I admit the price is right (124 baht including very mushy peas) but actually not much cheaper than the others' cheap fish (Dory etc) options. I do go there sometimes (usually drunk) and they do deliver to your place at the bar, which can be handy.

The problem with Neeroy's is the ratio of batter to Dory (about 3:1) the variable pre-blanched chips often being soggy and the mushy peas which are really more akin to a very bright green soup, but it can be OK.