IGNORED

Best Fish & Chips In Pattaya - Where?

I will be arriving in Pattaya on Friday and during my trip I'll be looking forward to eating Palmers Bar fish and chips.

Palmers F&C are quite good for what they are, but no choice of fish and no mushy peas doesn't get them into my top 3.

At the moment (in Pattaya) it is clearly between The Jolly Friar and Gooses IMO, with Jolly Friar just in front.

I'm going to check out theese places in January, I don't eat fish here but I've tasted fish and chips here. Thought it was great, and that was in the cafeteria at work, lol!

So, these places will be an experience for me. I just love that dressing thing you have on it!

I've tried the Village Chippy a few times on 3rd road and I think its good value although it doesn't have many seats.

Nice info will try them. Thanks for posting

I Ain't No Angel Figure.. Me The Devil...

It might not be in the true spirit of fish and chips, but I had a VERY good scampi and chips at the Queen Vic Soi 6 last trip, big fat chips if you like them, I couldn't finish it and I was well hungry.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I recently ate at a place called John Dorry, up 100m from where Soi Dianna extend across Soi Buakhao towards Pattaya 3rd Road. Excellent selection of fish and chips and pies etc,a good solid breakfast that costs you around TB 145.

Very clean tidy and top quality food, recommend

Pip

Edited by pipoz4444

Hi,

I recently ate at a place called John Dorry, up 100m from where Soi Dianna extend across Soi Buakhao towards Pattaya 3rd Road. Excellent selection of fish and chips and pies etc,a good solid breakfast that costs you around TB 145.

Very clean tidy and top quality food, recommend

Pip

I am not sure the place is called "John Dory", we are just up from Soi Dianna heading to 3rd Road on Soi Lengkee and our restaurants name is the "Jolly Friar". I suspect you ate our Dory fish! Thank you for your kind words.

Your correct, it was Jolly Friar, I was a bit pissed and probably looking at the name of the Fish. Thanks and I still recommend, great food and excellent service

Also went into gogo bar and thought the name was Twat

Edited by pipoz4444

Glad you enjoyed our Fish & Chips, remember we have Buy 10 meals and get 1 meal free promotion running all the time!

Thanks

Ian

In spite of the somber attitude of a couple of your service staff I have enjoyed 4 or 5 fish dinners at the Jolly Friar and have even brought friends . Unfortunately my last visit a couple of days ago may be my last visit . I do not appreciate an unfriendly attitude from service staff and the tall young woman in the short dress just pushed it over the limit with her inaudible mumbling and then grunting back at the customer when he doesn't understand.

After her rolling of the eyes like I am the one not getting it I told her I would go elsewhere for my meal . I didn't look back when I got to the door but could clearly hear a sarcastic "thank you " from the back of the restaurant . So ignorant, unfriendly attitude was my latest memory of the Jolly Friar .

Your food is good but your staff are driving customers away.

............. I do not appreciate an unfriendly attitude from service staff and the tall young woman in the short dress just pushed it over the limit with her inaudible mumbling and then grunting back at the customer when he doesn't understand.

I know the one you mean and you're not wrong, though personally I've learnt to rise above that stuff and it wouldn't stop me going there.

One thing I do have a petty gripe about is the price of a bottle of water at 30 Baht (bumped from 25?).

Goose's charged the same the last time I went.

I regularly eat at Seaside Restaurant off Soi 7 and they charge 10 Baht for the same item, alongside very competitive prices for good quality food.

I've seen some customers resorting to taking their own drink into JF.

I haven't resorted to that yet, but it is an issue with me.

When I have declined to order a bottle in the past, the shorter, more affable girl brought me a glass of iced water, out of sympathy lol.

The girl referred to above refuses to acknowledge any request for a glass of water.

I'm not a complete CC and I am ordering the Cod, usually with Mushy Peas, so my bill is over 200 Baht and I tip 20 Baht if I've had good service.

I just resent paying 30 Baht for water in an economy type restaurant. It feels like they've just loaded the drink price up to compensate for a low headline price (99 Baht F&C). Of course, that is what they're doing no doubt. :Circle_Sharks:

PS - Even Pig & Whistle only charge 20 Baht for water.

I agree. Inflated 'extras' turn me off to a restaurant. When I go in Sizzlers, they ask if I would like anything to drink and I say 'no thanks.' They don't even act surprised anymore, so I think others are voting with their wallets.

i could not agree more .I have been there a few times with tg,s and they said the same

Edited by blue44

There is a place on Soi Langkee that I tried a few weeks ago. It was not bad. I think I see them as an advertiser here but the name escapes me at the moment. BTW, HP is definitely sold in the states, you might just have to look around for it.

agogobar.jpg

Go Go Bar - Go Go Bars Guide for Pattaya and Bangkok

There is a place on Soi Langkee that I tried a few weeks ago. It was not bad. I think I see them as an advertiser here but the name escapes me at the moment. BTW, HP is definitely sold in the states, you might just have to look around for it.

It's the Jolly Friar - the one we've been discussing for the last 6 or so posts.

HP?? WTF??

It's the Jolly Friar - the one we've been discussing for the last 6 or so posts.

HP?? WTF??

I am not sure if you are talking about my Fish & Chip shop or not ? My price for water is 20 baht and has never changed. (Jolly Friar, Soi Lengkee)

I take you points about the staff and will remove the two unfriendly girls next week, my wife just went home and I have learnt to let her deal with this situations. Its not the first complain about these two girls dower attitudes and I wont put up with it any more. Expect new service staff from Wednesday next week.

Ian

Drinks-Menu.jpg

Edited by Jolly Friar

i could not agree more .I have been there a few times with tg,s and they said the same ?

Point taken, its in hand and two girls will be replaces ASAP, Wednesday at the latest..sorry guys.

Edited by Jolly Friar

In spite of the somber attitude of a couple of your service staff I have enjoyed 4 or 5 fish dinners at the Jolly Friar and have even brought friends . Unfortunately my last visit a couple of days ago may be my last visit . I do not appreciate an unfriendly attitude from service staff and the tall young woman in the short dress just pushed it over the limit with her inaudible mumbling and then grunting back at the customer when he doesn't understand.

After her rolling of the eyes like I am the one not getting it I told her I would go elsewhere for my meal . I didn't look back when I got to the door but could clearly hear a sarcastic "thank you " from the back of the restaurant . So ignorant, unfriendly attitude was my latest memory of the Jolly Friar .

I am very sorry, May will be replaced. I need smiley happy girls and two of my current stuff just have poor attitudes towards customers, sorry it will be resolved quickly. Ian

I know the one you mean and you're not wrong, though personally I've learnt to rise above that stuff and it wouldn't stop me going there.

One thing I do have a petty gripe about is the price of a bottle of water at 30 Baht (bumped from 25?).

Goose's charged the same the last time I went.

I regularly eat at Seaside Restaurant off Soi 7 and they charge 10 Baht for the same item, alongside very competitive prices for good quality food.

I've seen some customers resorting to taking their own drink into JF.

I haven't resorted to that yet, but it is an issue with me.

When I have declined to order a bottle in the past, the shorter, more affable girl brought me a glass of iced water, out of sympathy lol.

The girl referred to above refuses to acknowledge any request for a glass of water.

I'm not a complete CC and I am ordering the Cod, usually with Mushy Peas, so my bill is over 200 Baht and I tip 20 Baht if I've had good service.

I just resent paying 30 Baht for water in an economy type restaurant. It feels like they've just loaded the drink price up to compensate for a low headline price (99 Baht F&C). Of course, that is what they're doing no doubt. :Circle_Sharks:

PS - Even Pig & Whistle only charge 20 Baht for water.

I really cannot understand, our price in the drinks menu is 20 baht and has never increase. I simply dont understand.

Edited by Jolly Friar

Hey Jolly Friar (alias John Dorry), your food is great, but can I suggest,

With your pies, see if you can keep them in a Pie Warmer/Oven and make them a bit more crisp, rather than heating them up in the microwave. I am assuming that is what they did for mine, by the taste of it.

Still good but could be better, from a connoisseur of Pies and TG's - Not sure which one tastes better in the morning

Edited by pipoz4444

Jolly Friar

I ate at your place for the first time last week and would like to comment in what i hope is a constructive way.

First, it was about 22.00. I was the ONLY customer and chose to sit outside. There were three girls sitting inside and I was totally ignored for around 5 or 6 minutes. I see from some posts this issue is likely to be resolved now, just letting you know.

Secondly - there was a sign in the window "Fish and Chips 100 baht". I wanted the Atlantic Cod so ordered that from the menu at 140 or 150 i think. It arrived without chips. I was told chips were extra. I dont have any issue about the cost but the perception of a Fish and chip restaurant would be that it comes with chips, especially as Fish and Chips could be had for 100 baht. As I sday its not a cost issue but I think your menu needs to make clear the items listed dont include chips.

Finally have to say - the food was GREAT and I will definitely eat there again so please dont take this post as being a nasty one.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Jolly Friar

I ate at your place for the first time last week and would like to comment in what i hope is a constructive way.

First, it was about 22.00. I was the ONLY customer and chose to sit outside. There were three girls sitting inside and I was totally ignored for around 5 or 6 minutes. I see from some posts this issue is likely to be resolved now, just letting you know.

Secondly - there was a sign in the window "Fish and Chips 100 baht". I wanted the Atlantic Cod so ordered that from the menu at 140 or 150 i think. It arrived without chips. I was told chips were extra. I dont have any issue about the cost but the perception of a Fish and chip restaurant would be that it comes with chips, especially as Fish and Chips could be had for 100 baht. As I sday its not a cost issue but I think your menu needs to make clear the items listed dont include chips.

Finally have to say - the food was GREAT and I will definitely eat there again so please dont take this post as being a nasty one.

Hi,

Yes the wife is back early Tuesday morning so I doubt she will surface from bed until Wednesday then we will re-arrange our staff ^^ .. It will be sorted.

The second issue, er.. We decided and feedback from the Secrets forum to make our menu like a "British Chippy", if you order Cod in the UK you would just get Cod, each item is individually priced in the menu.. I know the TV screen did not help matters offering "Fish & Chips at 100 Baht" (small Dory 60 baht + small chips 40 baht). All I can do is apologize for the confusion and I will edit the TV thing in the next 2 days so its clearer.

I must say having the menu individually priced works really well, total customisation of you own meal, i.e Cod & Chips with say mushy peas, onion rings etc. Glad you enjoyed the food.

Hey Jolly Friar (alias John Dorry), your food is great, but can I suggest,

With your pies, see if you can keep them in a Pie Warmer/Oven and make them a bit more crisp, rather than heating them up in the microwave. I am assuming that is what they did for mine, by the taste of it.

Still good but could be better, from a connoisseur of Pies and TG's - Not sure which one tastes better in the morning

Hello,

I actually spend 17,000 baht on a pie warmer, the problem was we never sold enough pies and ended up binning 5-6 pies each day! Its not upstairs collecting dust, I bought a convection over / microwave which did the pies wonderfully, nuked them then baked them at 250 degrees, that broke within 1 month! Now we just have a standard microwave but I am looking for another more commercial combination microwave ... I would kill for the Merrychef 5 series they use in Starbucks.

mico.jpg

Not a bad looking convection over / microwave, can I ask, how much it does it weigh and roughly what size it

Pip

I am not sure if you are talking about my Fish & Chip shop or not ? My price for water is 20 baht and has never changed. (Jolly Friar, Soi Lengkee)

Ian

I confess I've never read your drinks menu, which clearly does say 20 Baht - I don't recall even seeing it, but I just order water with the meal, so maybe I don't need to.

I'm sure that the two times I've ordered bottled water it said 30 Baht on the bill, so I'm confused too.

Would you be charging more in your restaurant next door, where for sure it's 30 Baht and I just paid it again today? :GoldenSmile1:

I confess I've never read your drinks menu, which clearly does say 20 Baht - I don't recall even seeing it, but I just order water with the meal, so maybe I don't need to.

I'm sure that the two times I've ordered bottled water it said 30 Baht on the bill, so I'm confused too.

Would you be charging more in your restaurant next door, where for sure it's 30 Baht and I just paid it again today? :GoldenSmile1:

Ah Ha ! This is why there is confusion. OK here is the problem, I rent the the ground floor of Le Katai and operate my restaurant there, I refurbished it 2 years ago and we have never looked back, HOWEVER Danny the lessee of Le Katai gets the revenue from "All Beverages" except Tea & Coffee... and he sets the price i.e 30 baht for water. I wont comment on the price but the Jolly Friar is 20 baht and I am sorry I have no control over the drinks prices at Le Katai. Sorry for any confusion! I do keep the meal prices down and have done so for 2 years now!