IGNORED

High End Pocket Camera?

NorCalKid

51 minutes ago, chirockr said:

Thanks man I'll look into it, had a Canon G 12 prior but looking for something smaller, lighter and a tad more pocketable. 

Yes but what a chunk of glass it is re: Leica. They are minimalist cameras with superior optics but sometimes features & functionality lends itself to an easier shooting experience. Have a play, be curious to hear what you go for. 

Yes, good point...but sometimes they get in the way. I'm really leaning towards that minimalist experience when you cease thinking about the camera's mind-boggling capabilities & settings and just focus on the scene and composition in front of you. Back in the old film days I really enjoyed shooting with the Pentax K1000. That was a no bullshit camera, you either knew how to take good photos or you didn't. I also had a Leica back then and there was something about those photos taken with the Leica that I've yet to see from any other camera.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

I have a Panasonic TZ 100/101. Best Compact Camera I ever had. 1" Sensor, Zoom 25-250mm, F 2.8 - 5.9. 4K video. Comes with a good viewfinder built in. Only disadvantage is, you cant tilt the touchscreen. But thats not important to me. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/power-zoom-panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs100-tz100-review

• Like 2

I have the sony rx100 m2, been using it for about a year.  It is ok , kind of big to fit in pocket though. 

I'm looking to swith over to canon gx7  or something else in the price range of $400 to $450 usd or lower...

some feautres I like to have:

1. good low light quality

2. good video

3. can take photos while shooting video (like the way canon does it)

4. shoots in both jpg + raw format

5. decent zoom

Edited by rainman333
  • Like 2

I bought myself a black Sony DSC-W830.

Very compact and about 4,000 baht.

I keep it in my pocket.

Sony DSC-W830 black.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, The Sly Fox said:

Not sure mate. I'm not too keen on the Panas but that's just me. In my own case video means nothing and I'm chasing the best possible IQ, so I'm looking at Leica and Fujifilm. I may well opt for the Leica X2 which has fuck all except the best chunk of glass out front. 

It appears that their Leica X (Typ 113), also APC format, gives you same focal length, but a 1.7 lens at same price, according to DPReview, have you looked at that?

Personally, I have Fuji X100s,fixed 35 mm equivalent, but f2. The lens is superb, and at 2/3 the price of either of these Leicas.

You can now get the X100F, updated model, with 24 MP sensor. Leica glass is great, but the technical specs of the latest Fuji seems superior in almost all aspects.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The Sly Fox said:

Yes, good point...but sometimes they get in the way. I'm really leaning towards that minimalist experience when you cease thinking about the camera's mind-boggling capabilities & settings and just focus on the scene and composition in front of you. Back in the old film days I really enjoyed shooting with the Pentax K1000. That was a no bullshit camera, you either knew how to take good photos or you didn't. I also had a Leica back then and there was something about those photos taken with the Leica that I've yet to see from any other camera.

I agree with you, you had to have more technical expertise in taking photos in film days. They make cameras for 'enthusiasts' these days which is cool but annoying as they push soo many features and you need a degree to function the inner working of a camera when all you needed was a couple of dials back in the day and some good know how.

Personally, I believe nothing touches the Leicas, they just have superior optics and that's what your really paying for in the IQ. Problem is they churn a new unit out every other year so the 'tech' stuff is up to date. 

That model you mentioned (X2) has been out a while, I'd keep an eye out as I'm sure it wouldn't be too long before they re-release another model (x3?) think it's been 5 years ish...and that is testament to what a quality product they produce as the images still stand up today. If I had a money tree I'd go straight for the M10 and a trip to patts!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fakebook said:

I bought myself a black Sony DSC-W830.

Very compact and about 4,000 baht.

I keep it in my pocket.

For that price it seems like an excellent buy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chirockr said:

I agree with you, you had to have more technical expertise in taking photos in film days. They make cameras for 'enthusiasts' these days which is cool but annoying as they push soo many features and you need a degree to function the inner working of a camera when all you needed was a couple of dials back in the day and some good know how.

Personally, I believe nothing touches the Leicas, they just have superior optics and that's what your really paying for in the IQ. Problem is they churn a new unit out every other year so the 'tech' stuff is up to date. 

That model you mentioned (X2) has been out a while, I'd keep an eye out as I'm sure it wouldn't be too long before they re-release another model (x3?) think it's been 5 years ish...and that is testament to what a quality product they produce as the images still stand up today. If I had a money tree I'd go straight for the M10 and a trip to patts!

A couple months ago Ted's Cameras in Oz held a discontinued stock sale, they were selling Leica X-E (which is exactly the same as the X2 but with a different exterior) for $999. I quickly contacted Ted's and was halfway through buying one when the operator I was dealing with suddenly went silent. I fired off emails to Ted's but got no reply. Then 3 weeks later the bitch contacts me and says she went on leave. Now all the Leica X-E had been sold...sorry about that. I was fuckin' pissed off. Thought I'd found a German made Leica for under 1K. I could get an X-E from other sources but they are closer to 2K. The X2 goes for about 1.5K.

I would love a little Leica X2 but I'll wait until the Fujifilm X80 appears and see what that offers.

15 hours ago, ZRHuser said:

I have a Panasonic TZ 100/101. Best Compact Camera I ever had. 1" Sensor, Zoom 25-250mm, F 2.8 - 5.9. 4K video. Comes with a good viewfinder built in. Only disadvantage is, you cant tilt the touchscreen. But thats not important to me. 

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/power-zoom-panasonic-lumix-dmc-zs100-tz100-review

The tilt screen is a feature I would use often. I travel a lot and go to all these fabulous places like Angkor Wat but I have very few photos of myself and very few photos of myself + tirak together at all these wonderful spots we visit. Sometimes I give my camera to a stranger to take a photo of us but invariably they fuck it up and the shot is not focused correctly. If I had a tilt screen I could really take my time and get some outstanding images of myself + tirak. So the tilt screen is a very big attraction for me. So much so that between a Leica X2 and a Fujifilm x70 I'd probably buy the Fuji because of the tilt screen, even though I believe the Leica is the superior camera.

On 5/8/2017 at 8:24 PM, chirockr said:

I'm in the same boat & Looking for a travel compact high endish pocket camera that's light and fits in jeans w decent 4K video. 

Only thing I've come up with is the Panasonic Lumix zs100/tz100

Any experience with this model? Or suggestions?

C

Been looking at this one too.

LUMIX 4K Digital Camera LX10 with 20 Megapixel 1-inch Sensor, 3X 24-72mm F/1.4-2.8 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMILUX Lens, Tiltable LCD and Lens Control Ring

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-LX10K.html

As I said I'm not mad about the Panas but this model does tick many boxes for me - fairly large sensor, some zoom, fast f1.4 Leica branded lens, flip-up screen. I'd like to take a closer look at this and try one out. However, I seem to remember reading recently that this model, or one of the similar model Panas, was giving a purple tinge to images.

6 hours ago, The Sly Fox said:

A couple months ago Ted's Cameras in Oz held a discontinued stock sale, they were selling Leica X-E (which is exactly the same as the X2 but with a different exterior) for $999. I quickly contacted Ted's and was halfway through buying one when the operator I was dealing with suddenly went silent. I fired off emails to Ted's but got no reply. Then 3 weeks later the bitch contacts me and says she went on leave. Now all the Leica X-E had been sold...sorry about that. I was fuckin' pissed off. Thought I'd found a German made Leica for under 1K. I could get an X-E from other sources but they are closer to 2K. The X2 goes for about 1.5K.

I would love a little Leica X2 but I'll wait until the Fujifilm X80 appears and see what that offers.

Faaaarrrkkk!!! too right you'd be pissed off. Would have helped you out if I could have as I'm in Aus to follow up. Keep your eyes peeled as I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before something comes up. The X80 sounds promising!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Sly Fox said:

Been looking at this one too.

LUMIX 4K Digital Camera LX10 with 20 Megapixel 1-inch Sensor, 3X 24-72mm F/1.4-2.8 LEICA DC VARIO-SUMMILUX Lens, Tiltable LCD and Lens Control Ring

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-point-and-shoot-cameras/DMC-LX10K.html

As I said I'm not mad about the Panas but this model does tick many boxes for me - fairly large sensor, some zoom, fast f1.4 Leica branded lens, flip-up screen. I'd like to take a closer look at this and try one out. However, I seem to remember reading recently that this model, or one of the similar model Panas, was giving a purple tinge to images.

Yeah that's why I started looking at the zs100/tz100. I'm still not convinced and am yet to jump into panas, looks good on paper. Might do an image comparison on my 65" 4K television to nudge me over the edge. I've streamed the 4K video sampler of this unit from YouTube and was quite surprised with the output.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-ZS100-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX10

hoping they bring an update to this model before I head to patts in Oct. 

Edited by chirockr
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2017 at 2:36 PM, The Sly Fox said:

Not sure mate. I'm not too keen on the Panas but that's just me. In my own case video means nothing and I'm chasing the best possible IQ, so I'm looking at Leica and Fujifilm. I may well opt for the Leica X2 which has fuck all except the best chunk of glass out front. 

For you i would suggest the Sony RX100 M5 which has among many features:

• 20MP 1"-type stacked BSI-CMOS sensor
  • 24-70mm equiv. F1.8-2.8 zoom lens
  • 24fps burst shooting in JPEG + Raw, with full AF and AE
  • 315-point phase-detection autofocus system
  • Detailed 4K video capture with well-controlled rolling shutter
  • Good quality high frame rate video capture

This camera you mention above is new & top notch for a pocket camera & has lots of great spec but how much ???

I believe they are big money & well above the average price that most of us can afford.

Whats the price for this Sony RX100 Mark 5 ????

Thanks.

Jack.

• Like 1

I dumped my Leica M9 in preference for the Fujifilm X100T and never regretted it. The Leica definitely had the better glass but I couldn't use it quickly or in low light but, in real world comparison, the quality difference was unnoticeable.

But 2 weeks ago my wife, a pro photographer, wanted a handbag camera and the X70 was her first choice but s just couldn't get on without a viewfinder so she also gravitated towards the X100T.

So I have her mine and bought an X100F [emoji41]

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jack Frost said:

This camera you mention above is new & top notch for a pocket camera & has lots of great spec but how much ???

I believe they are big money & well above the average price that most of us can afford.

Thanks.

Jack.

Within reason Jack the price isn't a great factor. The sort of cameras myself and chirockr & Sexy Couple have been discussing here are priced around $1000-2000. We're discussing the cream of the "High End Pocket Cameras" with the largest sensors and superb optics. 

The SonyRX100M5 retails for $998 in USA and 38990Bt in Thailand. It's a fairly expensive model but not extreme. 

Edited by The Sly Fox

10 hours ago, chirockr said:

Yeah that's why I started looking at the zs100/tz100. I'm still not convinced and am yet to jump into panas, looks good on paper. Might do an image comparison on my 65" 4K television to nudge me over the edge. I've streamed the 4K video sampler of this unit from YouTube and was quite surprised with the output.

http://cameradecision.com/compare/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-ZS100-vs-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-LX10

hoping they bring an update to this model before I head to patts in Oct. 

Interesting comparison on cameradecision. The LX10 is definitely the only Pana that gets my attention. The zoom range is limited but that f1.4 lens sure appeals, plus the articulated screen. I've read a few user reviews and they are all very positive. This model has now moved onto my short list.

13 hours ago, The Sly Fox said:

Interesting comparison on cameradecision. The LX10 is definitely the only Pana that gets my attention. The zoom range is limited but that f1.4 lens sure appeals, plus the articulated screen. I've read a few user reviews and they are all very positive. This model has now moved onto my short list.

FYI thought this might come in handy. Another notable compact due for release this yr is the Canon G9 X Mk II which should be a notable competitor. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Sly Fox said:

Within reason Jack the price isn't a great factor. The sort of cameras myself and chirockr & Sexy Couple have been discussing here are priced around $1000-2000. We're discussing the cream of the "High End Pocket Cameras" with the largest sensors and superb optics. 

The SonyRX100M5 retails for $998 in USA and 38990Bt in Thailand. It's a fairly expensive model but not extreme. 

38,990 Baht is nearly a £1,000 in my money & this is big bucks for me for a pocket point & do the business.

That said if you can go out & pay double for a camera then I understand your above points.

With such little members pics posted these days on this forum I have cameras but my Apple phone does give me some nice results.

Look forward to seeing your pics with your new camera.

Happy shopping.

Jack.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 5:35 AM, Sexy Couple said:

I dumped my Leica M9 in preference for the Fujifilm X100T and never regretted it. The Leica definitely had the better glass but I couldn't use it quickly or in low light but, in real world comparison, the quality difference was unnoticeable.

But 2 weeks ago my wife, a pro photographer, wanted a handbag camera and the X70 was her first choice but s just couldn't get on without a viewfinder so she also gravitated towards the X100T.

So I have her mine and bought an X100F emoji41.png

Thanks for your post, you reassure me that the highest quality optics are still in Leica & Fujifilm. I'm interested in your opinion of the Leica branded lenses in the Pana compacts. In particular I'm considering the Pana LX10. I no longer do any pro work but I want excellent IQ nonetheless.

On 5/10/2017 at 5:21 AM, Jack Frost said:

Thanks.

Jack.

The Belgian guy Steff in Thailand makes Pattaya videos with the RX100 Mk5, so you can get a good idea of the video capabilities from the day / night vids he posts. The songkran vid he posted looked excellent on Soi Buakhao.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2017 at 1:05 AM, skybar said:

The Belgian guy Steff in Thailand makes Pattaya videos with the RX100 Mk5, so you can get a good idea of the video capabilities from the day / night vids he posts. The songkran vid he posted looked excellent on Soi Buakhao.

Pretty game really taking a camera like an rx100m5 out at Songkran, get a bucket of water on a camera like that and it'll end up in the trashcan. One time years ago I put a condom on my camera for Songkran...lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, The Sly Fox said:

Pretty game really taking a camera like an rx100m5 out at Songkran, get a bucket of water on a camera like that and it'll end up in the trashcan. One time years ago I put a condom on my camera for Songkran...lol

huh?

put the camera in an underwater housing and you are fine...

I took my Canon 550D in a Dicapac and had no problems.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, manarak said:

huh?

put the camera in an underwater housing and you are fine...

I took my Canon 550D in a Dicapac and had no problems.

Or you could go low tech and use a ziplock plastic bag. Even use extra care and throw in a sachet of dessicant for about 3 cents and your camera will be protected from humidity and safe from water. 

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to handle the new Panasonic Lumix LX10 today. Saw one in Big Camera at Central Plaza. I've read a lot about this model online and watched YouTube reviews and was convinced that this was the perfect camera for me. But after handling it I went right off it. It's very similar to the Sony RX100 range...a heavy little black brick that I wouldn't want to carry with me all the time. It's an amazing piece of technology with about 10 zillion features but I reckon you'd spend 99% of your time tapping the touch screen and fiddling with dials rather than concentrating on your subject and considering composition and the decisive moment. So I'm now swinging to a simpler compact camera like the Leica X2/X-E or the Ricoh GR. But I'm still waiting for a look at the new Fujifilm x80, which should be out in a couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-9 at 6:27 PM, The Sly Fox said:

Finally got a chance to handle the new Panasonic Lumix LX10 today. Saw one in Big Camera at Central Plaza. I've read a lot about this model online and watched YouTube reviews and was convinced that this was the perfect camera for me. But after handling it I went right off it. It's very similar to the Sony RX100 range...a heavy little black brick that I wouldn't want to carry with me all the time. It's an amazing piece of technology with about 10 zillion features but I reckon you'd spend 99% of your time tapping the Touch screen and fiddling with dials rather than concentrating on your subject and considering composition and the decisive moment. So I'm now swinging to a simpler compact camera like the Leica X2/X-E or the Ricoh GR. But I'm still waiting for a look at the new Fujifilm x80, which should be out in a couple of months.

There isn't a perfect solution just what's best for you. I just did my first trip with a Richo GR11 and was impressed with it over all. I am the least technical person in the solar system and even I could work the menus out pretty easily. I still think it's a bit big for a pocket camera but it has a much better form and is lighter than any of the other apsc sized sensor pocket cameras that i handled. Image quality is really good.

I think most of them have too many features and sub menus which end up being confusing when you just want to get a shot away. 

• Like 1