IGNORED

High End Pocket Camera?

NorCalKid

Here's some pictures of neon signs I took earlier today in Hong Kong - iPhone 6.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429996325.111189.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429996350.893636.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429996375.620680.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429996426.332264.jpg

• Like 2

that's quite impressive for a phone camera!

I'm consistently impressed by the low-light capabilities of the new iPhone 6 camera.

Here's a review from Ken Rockwell , on how good the iPhone's camera is"

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#camera

Very good camera in last iPhone, yes, but it's a review from last year...

Right now the Best Camera Phone is the Samsung Galaxy S6

I saw some night pics with a S6 on another forum: really impressive ! :) Edited by Oukiva

Right now the Best Camera Phone 2015 is the Samsung Galaxy S6

Unfortunately it comes attached to a crappy 'meh' phone that tries hard to be an iPhone - LOL.

Unfortunately it comes attached to a crappy 'meh' phone that tries hard to be an iPhone - LOL.

Are your snaps from a iPhone 6 or a iPhone 6Plus?

Are your snaps from a iPhone 6 or a iPhone 6Plus?

Think it's got the same camera . 

The 6 plus camera does optical image stabilization. The regular 6 camera just does digital. Different parts. I heard, but haven't verified, that the 6 plus is a tad better in low light.

I'm very happy with the 6 regular camera - albeit I'm not too excited about the iPhone being larger.

just got myself an LX100 on uk amazon lightning deal, have yet to take any bg pics but hope to soon.

You mean it does not come with a dictated down phone :) everyone there own preference i guess. And some people are just brand and image bound. rather just use what works best for me at the time i need a new one. [emoji4]

Think it's got the same camera . 

The Plus has image stabilisation ... as does the Samsung S6.  Makes all the difference in low light situations (I would imagine).  I'm not a smartphone person so neither would appeal to me.  

• 1 month later...

First chance to try out my TZ60 at cricket this year. First pic is with no zoom, second with full zoom.

image.jpg

image.jpg

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 months later...

The best camera is the one you carry on you.

Amen!!

One if us has been a pro photographer for many years and we're delighted by the quality of the iPhone 6.  Many of the shots on the "pro" Instagram account are taken on the iPhone6.

It's never going to replace a DSLR or even a mirrorless camera though for the versatility.  

For "work" we use a 1DX and a 5D3, but walking around Pattaya shooting street stock with a 1DX makes you very conspicuous and the early evening visit back to the hotel is mandatory to drop the camera off before heading out for the evening, especially if we're planing to spend the night in Soi6.  

We wanted a pro-standard pocket camera and went through a few cameras that we thought would meet the criteria, but didn't.  It was an expensive learning curve, but we settled on the Fujifilm X100T.  Not cheap, but we also needed something that we could submit images to the major stock agencies with.  We're delighted with the X100T, but still wincing at the costs of the cameras that didn't work for us.

I don't understand those people who still carrying pocket camera , while they can use their smartphone

Sent from Dishwasher

<CENTER><h2 style="background-color:red;color:red;">-</h2><p style="background-color:orange;color:orange;">-</p><p style="background-color:yellow;color:yellow;">-</p></body>

I don't understand those people who still carrying pocket camera , while they can use their smartphone

It depends very much on the photos you want to take.  It's a good approach to only carry the kit you need and not to overpack camera gear.  If a smartphone is nailing the photos that you want, then it's the right camera and many times, that's all we're carrying.

However, the shot below (stolen from another forum, deliberately NOT one of ours) illustrates a type of shot that you would be very hard pushed to take on a smartphone - this was taken on an X100S as we understand it.

643533052db6688d013c85a6b8f6a88e.jpg

• Like 3

Sent from Dishwasher

Why ? Because most smartphones don't come even close to the quality of a good compact camera . 

If people are happy with the quality their telephone gives them , all fine but i want to be in control of

the camera (ISO , shutterspeed , F number , etc) . 

I like a good wide angle lens and a few times zoom (not digital zoom) .

Although the Nokia N1020 that i use gives good pictures i usually carry a good pocket camera

around if we're on a day out (not on a night out or to the supermarket of course) .   

Amen!!

One if us has been a pro photographer for many years and we're delighted by the quality of the iPhone 6.  Many of the shots on the "pro" Instagram account are taken on the iPhone6.

It's never going to replace a DSLR or even a mirrorless camera though for the versatility.  

For "work" we use a 1DX and a 5D3, but walking around Pattaya shooting street stock with a 1DX makes you very conspicuous and the early evening visit back to the hotel is mandatory to drop the camera off before heading out for the evening, especially if we're planing to spend the night in Soi6.  

We wanted a pro-standard pocket camera and went through a few cameras that we thought would meet the criteria, but didn't.  It was an expensive learning curve, but we settled on the Fujifilm X100T.  Not cheap, but we also needed something that we could submit images to the major stock agencies with.  We're delighted with the X100T, but still wincing at the costs of the cameras that didn't work for us.

The Fujifilm X100s (All versions) are fantastic cameras.  The images are great and it is a lot of fun to shoot with it.   I use mine all of the time and hardly every leave home without it.  

Here's a review from Ken Rockwell , on how good the iPhone's camera is"

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#camera

Yeah, but it's a bloody Apple product. Great hardware, but they F up the software to no end. Locked down UI, intentionally crippled apps, have to run ITunes (possibly the worst app approach ever created), no thanks.

Oh, and I have lots of Apple products through my work, have used them since the '80s - and they were good up until the 3GS generation of iOS, last few years, it's sh*t. Think of the entire experience before buying an Apple product.

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, but it's a bloody Apple product. Great hardware, but they F up the software to no end. Locked down UI, intentionally crippled apps, have to run ITunes (possibly the worst app approach ever created), no thanks.

Oh, and I have lots of Apple products through my work, have used them since the '80s - and they were good up until the 3GS generation of iOS, last few years, it's sh*t. Think of the entire experience before buying an Apple product.

I respect your opinion. But there are many intelligent, tech savvy, people who will disagree with you. I'm a PC and Apple user. Both have their place. Are you really familiar with the current line up of phones, laptops, OS, etc? It's a pretty good experience overall.

I respect your opinion. But there are many intelligent, tech savvy, people who will disagree with you. I'm a PC and Apple user. Both have their place. Are you really familiar with the current line up of phones, laptops, OS, etc? It's a pretty good experience overall.

It's part of what I do for a living...

To be simplistic, here's a summary:

• MSFT products - built by idiots
  • Apple products - built for idiots

Then there's Android - a decent compromise IMO

BTW, what's a PC these days?  That's an obsolete term.  Are you really familiar with the current line up of technology?  :-)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtmarko/2015/01/15/pc-obsolete-term/

Back to my point, with emphasis added - think of the entire experience before buying an Apple product - there's a hell of a lot more required than just the initial device, you're marrying a whole family of products.  Apple devices do not co-exist happily alongside other products - the proverbial "plays well with others" does not apply to them.

On top of that, they're flaky, and since you rely on a closed stack, you're SOL when Apple fucks up, or decides to strand a product.  Take a look at their Yosemite OS and its WiFi issues as one example.  With other companies, there'd be workarounds, not so with Apple.  Go ahead, buy one, it's your money - just don't try to justify it to me.

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

It's part of what I do for a living...

To be simplistic, here's a summary:

• MSFT products - built by idiots
  • Apple products - built for idiots

Then there's Android - a decent compromise IMO

BTW, what's a PC these days?  That's an obsolete term.  Are you really familiar with the current line up of technology?  :-)

<snip>

Ha ha. This just shows how old I am. My last dig. I use Windows at work and Mac OS when I have work that needs to get done. ;). I have lots of old-timey friends that are Linux guys and so I understand your point.

Now for thread specific content. I'm a fuji X100T, XT1 shooter, with lots of good glass for the XT1. I still have my D700 with lots of good glass. However, I find myself when walking about using the Sony RX100 III *a lot*. It is a fantastic pocketable camera. However when I'm out to take some photos as my primary purpose, I'm find myself grabbing the X100T. The shooting experience is just so much more fun compared to using the Sony which is a bit fiddly. Also having an optical VF is awesome.

-M

X100/S/T, Ricoh GR, OM-D + 20mm f1.7.

Wouldn't bother with anything else personally. Nowadays that's my setup (sold the oly) + X-Pro1, 16mm, 23mm, 35mm, & 52mm

Edited by jojo90