IGNORED

High End Pocket Camera?

NorCalKid

That is exactly what he was after. It was the first one on his list. He asked for reviews  and i gave it with my photo examples.

Quote:

"With a limited budget, current short list, with approx cost ...

Nothing to do with the OP ... what he asked for was, "something that has like a F1.4-1.8 (not sure about this W/a small sensor but it's gota be better than what I have now) and will do HD video.  I’m fine with spending a couple hundred bucks not looking to spend $700".  His own criteria pretty much restricts him to the earliest version of the RX100.

No harm in asking for help in getting a camera in a topic about getting a new camera.

No point in starting too many similar topics at the same time.

Edited by Billyboy294

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

That is exactly what Davidge was after. It was the first one on his list. He asked for reviews  and i gave it with my photo examples.

Quote:

"With a limited budget, current short list, with approx cost:

Panasonic LUMIX TZ35 £100

Canon SX600 £120

Nikon S9600 £110

Nikon L330 £90

Nikon L830 £120

Canon SX400 £130

Any reviews of these welcome. I'm really looking for something I can just 'point & shoot'."

And he chose the latest version of the Lumix TZ range , the TZ60   ( but about double the price.).

Nothing to do with the OP ... what he asked for was, "something that has like a F1.4-1.8 (not sure about this W/a small sensor but it's gota be better than what I have now) and will do HD video.  I’m fine with spending a couple hundred bucks not looking to spend $700".  His own criteria pretty much restricts him to the earliest version of the RX100.

So what!

I was replying to Davidge's post asking for information on 'point and shoot cameras with the TZ35 , the first one on his short list.

Why don't you reply to the OP and give some sample photos..?

Edited by Billyboy294

Why don't you reply to the OP and give some sample photos..?

Jerry has already given the reply and provided the relevant photos to support his recommendation.  

Edited by filibuster

Jerry has already given the reply and provided the relevant photos to support his recommendation.  

That is no reason for you not to make a positive contribution to this topic and also provide some samples and back up his.

A good mix of samples is always helpful for some one thinking on perhaps spending 12,000 baht.

Edited by Billyboy294

That is no reason for you not to make a positive contribution to this topic and also provide some samples and back up his.

A good mix of samples is always helpful for some one thinking on perhaps spending 12,000 baht.

Agreed.

The name filibuster seems to be appropriate to your posts. LOL

If I owned and would recommend a pocket camera that cost a couple of hundred USD and had a lens that did f1.8, I would.  Unfortunately, I currently own a Sony RX10 and Canon Powershot SX1is which, even although they are excellent "high-end" cameras, don't satisfy the OP's criteria for aperture, cost or size, so to post my pics taken with either of them in this thread would be pretty irrelevant.  Just like yours.  

I did own an Olympus xz-2 for about six months last year but didn't like it and couldn't get used to it ... hence, I wouldn't recommend it.  As for pics, these were all, taken in Hat Yai Municipal Park, hand held at f1.8 ... 

PC200014a.jpg

PC200023a.jpg

PC200026a.jpg

Edited by filibuster

Agreed.

The name filibuster seems to be appropriate to your posts. LOL

Any pics at f1.8, Bob?  

You could not go wrong with the Canon PowerShot G7 X or the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III,both great.

Here is a Video I made off Soi 6 with the Canon G7 X

My youtube channel .....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxoT31MMwxjrLmj6um_BnlA

2 Weeks in Jomtien trip report, photo heavy and videos.....  http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307477-big-g-returns-2-weeks-in-november-photo-heavy-and-some-videos/

First trip report,more then 500 images.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/177415-small-trip-reportbut-heaps-of-photos500-plus/

Any pics at f1.8, Bob?

555. I don't even know what f1.8 means!

Is that getting fucked for 1,800 baht? LT or ST?

You could not go wrong with the Canon PowerShot G7 X or the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III,both great.

Here is a Video I made off Soi 6 with the Canon G7 X

The Sony RX100 lll is selling for 28,000 baht (about $860) in Pattaya .

As Jerry said the Sony RX 100 is selling for 12,900 Baht ($400) in Tukcom. A big reduction on original price,

Edited by Billyboy294

The TZ60 arrived yesterday.

Surprised myself and, after charging, actually managed to set the time/date and link it to my phone & iPad via Wifi without too many problems. I can even operate it remotely using my phone! I've just set it to 'intelligent Auto' for now.

What I cant manage to do, however, is attach the shoulder strap to the case in any tidy way whatsoever. WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE IT SIMPLE. FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Hi Davidge, i hope the  extra cost for the TZ 60will prove to be worthwhilw. The Lumix TZ series (I have the TZ5 and TZ35) are well made and easy to use. Perhaps you will show us some pics later. My TZ 35 takes reasonable photos adequate for most purposes but i am always on the lookout for one that takes better photos but without all the gimmicks like GPS,NFC etc.

"Key Features of TZ60: 0.2-inch 200k dot EVF; 18-megapixel sensor; 30x optical zoom; Hybrid O.I.S.; Wi-Fi, NFC and GPS

What is the Panasonic Lumix TZ60? The Panasonic Lumix TZ60 was announced alongside the Lumix-TZ55 at January’s CES expo in Las Vegas, and is the successor to the very popular Panasonic Lumix TZ40. This new 'travel compact camera' retains the Wi-Fi connectivity and Near Field Communication (NFC) of its predecessor, but it also has a number of improvements over it.

For instance, the 20x optical zoom of the TZ40 has been replaced by a 30x optical zoom, Raw image capture is now possible, and an electronic viewfinder has been added. It is a useful little package of features and one that, on paper at least, makes the TZ60 a great 'go anywhere, shoot anything' camera.

It may appeal, then, to those who go travelling frequently or for longer periods and don’t want to lug around bigger kit. It may also appeal to the more inquisitive type of tourist who wants to take and share more than just holiday snaps of the places they visit whether that’s here or overseas.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-lumix-tz60-review#h5Zr4tGKroqybWFr.99"

PS: I see there is now a TZ70

Edited by Billyboy294

I expect I'll post some pics of my June/July trip.

I did spend more than planned, but got a camera that sells for close to £300 in all stores near me for £194. Hopefully, it will be worth it.

Past experience has taught me that extra zoom can be useful. It's great being able to get the photos onto the iPad so easily as well.

I'll experiment with it when I start taking my father to the cricket in late April. I'll just have to make sure I take it out with me during the day in Pattaya.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

555. I don't even know what f1.8 means!

It would appear you're not alone.   :SoWhat1:

Edited by filibuster

One of our online retailers has it going for similar money so i suspect that it can be gotten for that kind of coin in most places.$439 Aussie to be exact. It's still expensive for a travel camera but as you say it looks like a top quality bit of kit. 

$439AUD for the RX100, better price than buying here in Thailand. I need a new good quality compact and have my eye on this model but all my income comes from Oz, so buying a 13,000 Bt camera will cost me approx $525AUD at today's ex-rate. I plan on making a trip to Perth in Nov so I'll be looking to grab this camera while I'm there. maybe in one of the post-Xmas sales.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

well, OP was confused, he asked for a compact with F/1.4 - 1.8 and then gave a list of cameras which don't fit the bill.

Mind you, he was also asking for high end gear for 200 USD.

I would go for the Canon S120, after that the step up is the Sony RX100 M3

Anyone got more info (and photos) and current price of the Canon S120. It seems a posible option for the OP if he prepared to up his budget, and anyone else interested.

"The S120 model is the epitome of a pocketable yet powerful compact, so if small is your goal then there are few other competitors worth considering in our view. It's not as complex as some pricier, more advanced models with larger sensors, but that's  just fine.

The 1/1.7-inch sensor produces great-looking images straight from the camera and a maximum f/1.8 aperture at the widest aperture setting - a third of a stop brighter than its S110 predecessor - makes for greater shooting control.

There are plenty of other techie features too: Wi-Fi, a touchscreen control, a physical lens ring control that we're particularly fond of and super-fast autofocus. It's a cracking compact camera only let down by some issues, if we're being extra critical: overexposure, limited battery life, the high price and a Wi-Fi setup that could be improved are the main shortfalls. But that doesn't hold it back from being a winner.

PRICE: £279 (at time of writing)

FULL REVIEW: Canon PowerShot S120 review"

Edited by Billyboy294

IMHO long zooms on compct cameras, such as 20x or 30 times, are often disappointing in terms of image quality. Lens designs for zooms are basically a compromise, and the longer the zoom, the lower the sharpnes, the higher the corner light fall off etc.

I use a 24-70 on my Canon, that is about 3x zoom, pretty. Good quality, but it weighs a ton and cost a fortune. Otherwise I only use prime. Lenses, e.g. With. Fixed focal lens.

The other drawback of long zooms tends to be small lens opening, thus making depth of fiel rather big, preeventing you to. Isolate your subject from its back ground.

The 1/1.7-inch sensor produces great-looking images straight from the camera and a maximum f/1.8 aperture at the widest angle setting - a third of a stop brighter than its S110 predecessor - makes for greater shooting control.

Even though this is a review from the web....it should read,widest aperture setting,not widest angle setting.

Some good reviews of compact cameras for 2015,but some a bit higher then the op's asking price.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120768-best-compact-cameras-2015-the-best-pocket-cameras-available-to-buy-today

Edited by Big G

My youtube channel .....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxoT31MMwxjrLmj6um_BnlA

2 Weeks in Jomtien trip report, photo heavy and videos.....  http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307477-big-g-returns-2-weeks-in-november-photo-heavy-and-some-videos/

First trip report,more then 500 images.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/177415-small-trip-reportbut-heaps-of-photos500-plus/

The 1/1.7-inch sensor produces great-looking images straight from the camera and a maximum f/1.8 aperture at the widest angle setting - a third of a stop brighter than its S110 predecessor - makes for greater shooting control.

Even though this is a review from the web....it should read,widest aperture setting,not widest angle setting.

Some good reviews of compact cameras for 2015,but some a bit higher then the op's asking price.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/120768-best-compact-cameras-2015-the-best-pocket-cameras-available-to-buy-today

Regarding reviews I have been looking at a few reasonably priced compacts for 2014 and 2015 and i am fed up reading that the latest  greatest model has an even longer zoom, a tilting touch screen  for selfies, has GPS  NTC (whatever that is ) and other gimmicks and then the reviewer adds ,for Image Quality 3 stars out of 5. Most seem to have "Image Sensor Size1/2.3"

I have the 2008 Lumix TZ5  with 10 x Zoom:  last year I bought the TZ35 (no frills version of the TZ40) and it came with a 20 x Zoom and Davidge bought for double the price the TZ60 and it has a 30 x Zoom, And " the TZ60 features a 1/2.3-inch, 18MP sensor. "

I have seen cameras with 40 and 50 Zooms.

As Ikkrang says above, the longer the zoom, the more disappointing the image quality..

Edited by Billyboy294

I bought it a few months ago and don't even use the Canon S110 and G16 anymore . 

Pretty sure there isn't a better camera out there in this price range at the moment . 

It's great in low light situations with it's 1.8 lens (and quality is already very good with

max aperture as well) . 

The TR with little May is shot with a Canon 5D but i use the RX100 for most of the pics

over the last months in the 'adventures' thread . 

All these shots are existing light , 800 ISO , full aperture (F1,8) , 

attachicon.gifDSC00584-2.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00602-2.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00612-2.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00834-2.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC00998-3.jpg

Jerry , what would you recommend

1, the Sony RX100m1 at  12,900 Bt, or

2: the Canon G16 at 11,900 baht.

I also quite fancy the Canon S120 but it does not seem to be available in Pattaya.

Edited by Billyboy294

I also quite fancy the Canon S120 but it does not seem to be available in Pattaya.

Sony RX100 hands doen .

Have a look at the Fuji XF1, can pick it up  for around £130 in the UK. Has a much larger sensor than the usual point and shoots at 2/3" and full manual controls for those who want that option and goes from f1.8 to f4.9. Decent low light performance, I've had the TZ10 in the past and although I loved the zoom on the lumix I'll take the better low light and general image quality of the Fuji every day. Shoots in RAW and JPEG too for those that want to do their own post processing but the built in Fujifilm filters give some nice effects. Its no RX100 but at a third of the price it's a great option for those that want to get better shots at night in Patts.

I came, I saw, I mongered!

Sony RX100 hands down .

Many thanks for reply.