IGNORED

High End Pocket Camera?

NorCalKid

Have a look at the Fuji XF1, can pick it up  for around £130 in the UK. Has a much larger sensor than the usual point and shoots at 2/3" and full manual controls for those who want that option and goes from f1.8 to f4.9. Decent low light performance, I've had the TZ10 in the past and although I loved the zoom on the lumix I'll take the better low light and general image quality of the Fuji every day. Shoots in RAW and JPEG too for those that want to do their own post processing but the built in Fujifilm filters give some nice effects. Its no RX100 but at a third of the price it's a great option for those that want to get better shots at night in Patts.

I bought a Fuji XF1 about 2 years ago, fantastic little camera, superb IQ and the effects are fantastic. Loved the camera madly...BUT...after about 6 months it stuffed up and couldn't use it anymore. I had 12 months warranty with it (purchased in Australia) so I contacted Fuji and sent it for repairs in Bangkok. Got it back a couple weeks later and it was superb again. Then a few months later it stuffed up again. I got onto Fuji Australia and told them I was making a trip to Oz soon but it would be a bit over the 12 months warranty period. Fuji agree to extend the warranty out to 14 months. Back in Oz I sent the camera to Fuji, they replaced some parts and it came back to me working great. About 2 weeks ago it stuffed up again. Can't use it, it's totally fucked. 

So while the Fuji XF1 IQ is superb and the camera delivers fantastic results the damn thing is totally unreliable and I would strongly recommend that you don't touch one with a 40-foot barge pole.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

That's the import one without warranty ... for 12.990 you get the Thai version with warranty . 

That's the import one without warranty ... for 12.990 you get the Thai version with warranty . 

Big Camera have it in their catalogue at that price. Yesterday i phoned the shop in Tukcom and asked if they had it in the shop as i wanted to have a look at it. The staff there are always very helpful,

However i was told they would have to order it and it would take about 2 weeks.

Edited by Billyboy294

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

One thing to keep in mind, even with a f1.8 lens you have a very small sensor in those "pocket cameras" so you will NOT get that shallow depth of field that you get with a DSLR.  Now Nikon has a compact pocket camera that has a DX size sensor in it, I think it's the same one they used in their D5100 and D7000 cameras. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-A.html

I don't know if Canon has something similar but the Nikon is a high quality camera, if you don't want to pay the new price, B&H will sometime have them as used.

One thing to keep in mind, even with a f1.8 lens you have a very small sensor in those "pocket cameras" so you will NOT get that shallow depth of field that you get with a DSLR.  Now Nikon has a compact pocket camera that has a DX size sensor in it, I think it's the same one they used in their D5100 and D7000 cameras. http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/COOLPIX-A.html

I don't know if Canon has something similar but the Nikon is a high quality camera, if you don't want to pay the new price, B&H will sometime have them as used.

Although it's not DSLR quality the Sony RX 100 doe shave a bigger size sensor (1 inch)

that let you play with the depth of field at 1.8 . 

IMG_1947-2.jpg

IMG_1999-3.jpg

• Like 2

I think you may have been unlucky SlyFox. Had mine around a year now and had no problems whatsoever and haven't seen anything about unusual unreliability for the XF1 on the various camera forums. I think it's too good a wee camera to pass up on the basis of a potentially aberrant experience. Anyway, as you mentioned, we can agree it gives great results when working. :GoldenSmile1: 

I came, I saw, I mongered!

Although it's not DSLR quality the Sony RX 100 doe shave a bigger size sensor (1 inch)

that let you play with the depth of field at 1.8 . 

attachicon.gifIMG_1947-2.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1999-3.jpg

Those are very well done. FWIW, you have to take into consideration the crop factor for the sensor size, 2.7 for that camera, the  1.8 is really a 4.86. These camera companies are very deceiving! 

I think you may have been unlucky SlyFox. Had mine around a year now and had no problems whatsoever and haven't seen anything about unusual unreliability for the XF1 on the various camera forums. I think it's too good a wee camera to pass up on the basis of a potentially aberrant experience. Anyway, as you mentioned, we can agree it gives great results when working. :GoldenSmile1:

Yeah unlucky for sure, I bought a lemon.

I just sent an email to Fujifilm Australia informing them that the camera has broken down again (3rd time) and requesting a replacement. They'll probably tell me to sod off but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I bought the camera just over 2 years ago, so the warranty has certainly run out, but the point I'm trying to make to them is while still under warranty twice their skilled technicians repaired the camera and yet the same fault returned, so in both cases the camera was not properly or successfully repaired. 

I'll wait and see what their reply is next week.

in those "pocket cameras" so you will NOT get that shallow depth of field that you get with a DSLR

The 3 images here were shot with my pocket camera,shallow depth of field (Bokeh) looks OK ?

Bokeh-001_zps6nmuk48b.jpg

bokeh%20004_zpstv6wxz9r.jpg

bokeh%20002_zpsv1qb9v9m.jpg

My youtube channel .....https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxoT31MMwxjrLmj6um_BnlA

2 Weeks in Jomtien trip report, photo heavy and videos.....  http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307477-big-g-returns-2-weeks-in-november-photo-heavy-and-some-videos/

First trip report,more then 500 images.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/177415-small-trip-reportbut-heaps-of-photos500-plus/

Yeah unlucky for sure, I bought a lemon.

I just sent an email to Fujifilm Australia informing them that the camera has broken down again (3rd time) and requesting a replacement. They'll probably tell me to sod off but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I bought the camera just over 2 years ago, so the warranty has certainly run out, but the point I'm trying to make to them is while still under warranty twice their skilled technicians repaired the camera and yet the same fault returned, so in both cases the camera was not properly or successfully repaired. 

I'll wait and see what their reply is next week.

Just in case anybody's interested I heard back from Fujifilm Australia and they told me to return the faulty camera to them and they will give me a replacement. This is exception service as the it's now 2 years 3 months since I bought the camera. Anyway, I posted the faulty camera to them today and they will post the replacement camera to my Australian address.

try the Lumix DMC-LX7

F1.4  around 350 US$

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-lx7

Edited by bj.blackowitz
  • Like 2

Have a look at the Fuji XF1, can pick it up  for around £130 in the UK. Has a much larger sensor than the usual point and shoots at 2/3" and full manual controls for those who want that option and goes from f1.8 to f4.9. Decent low light performance, I've had the TZ10 in the past and although I loved the zoom on the lumix I'll take the better low light and general image quality of the Fuji every day. Shoots in RAW and JPEG too for those that want to do their own post processing but the built in Fujifilm filters give some nice effects. Its no RX100 but at a third of the price it's a great option for those that want to get better shots at night in Patts.

I was going to suggest this model as well. I picked one up (refurbed) for about $200 CAD in the fall to use as a backup to my OMD EM1. But, I used the EM1 the whole trip and didn't really use the tiny Fuji so I can't comment on the quality - though it's tiny, the reviews are very good and it has an F1.8 lens. Since I got back I sold my 12-40mm lens and picked up a Fuji x100s to use as my backup/2nd camera. So, I'm going to sell the XF1. I haven't posted it in the sale forums yet, so if you think you might be interested send me a pm. Or, if someone in Pattaya is seriously interested I'll be back there in June so could bring it if we make a deal. 

Other than that, tons of raves about the RX100's but out of your budget. I had a Panasonic lx-3 years ago and it was stellar so I'd recommend trying to find a deal on an lx-5 or lx-7. They can be found at or very near your price range. 

Well NorCalKid have you decided  whether it is worthwhile paying up to $400  for a high end compact. I was disappointed at the lack of good examples from those recommending a camera although i am particularly interested in taking pictures of people.. My LumxTZ35 serves the purpose for zoomed photos (examples given).

If you go to professional reviews all the samples they seem to show are buildings. The idiots don't seem to understand that most people buy cameras to take photo of their friends and family in the home and garden or at weddings and parties etc. One review i looked at once had over 70 samples of buildings and landscapes and only one 'head and shoulders' (not a very good one) of a person.

Anyway for your information Lazada  have reduced the Canon S120 to 9900 Baht.

Based on the suggestions here, especially by Jerry  (and also reviews) while i quite fancy the Canon especially at that price. I think i will probably go for the Sony RX100M1 but likely wait and see if the price is going to drop further which is possible as there is now a M2 and M3. Of course there is also the danger that supplies will run out.

Edited by Billyboy294

here is an example of maximum bokeh with a RX100.

generally, bokeh is hard to get with that camera.

DSC00745.JPG

The TZ60 arrived yesterday.

Surprised myself and, after charging, actually managed to set the time/date and link it to my phone & iPad via Wifi without too many problems. I can even operate it remotely using my phone! I've just set it to 'intelligent Auto' for now.

What I cant manage to do, however, is attach the shoulder strap to the case in any tidy way whatsoever. WHY CAN'T THEY MAKE IT SIMPLE. FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pattaholic has posted some remarkably sharp  photos of Bikini girls taken with a Lumix TZ60 using the 30 x zoom. I asked if they were hand-held and he said yes but 'produced' from a video.

He is one if his samples.

Lumix TZ60 beach pic.png

Edited by Billyboy294
  • Like 2

Pattaholic has posted some remarkably sharp  photos of Bikini girls taken with a Lumix TZ60 using the 30 x zoom. I asked if they were hand-held and he said yes but produced from a video.

He is one if his samples.

attachicon.gifLumix TZ60 beach pic.png

I'm looking forward to trying the camera out in Jomtien in June.

I used it at a relative's birthday party and found it pretty good.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 3 weeks later...

Well NorCalKid have you decided  whether it is worthwhile paying up to $400  for a high end compact. I was disappointed at the lack of good examples from those recommending a camera although i am particularly interested in taking pictures of people.. My LumxTZ35 serves the purpose for zoomed photos (examples given).

If you go to professional reviews all the samples they seem to show are buildings. The idiots don't seem to understand that most people buy cameras to take photo of their friends and family in the home and garden or at weddings and parties etc. One review i looked at once had over 70 samples of buildings and landscapes and only one 'head and shoulders' (not a very good one) of a person.

Anyway for your information Lazada  have reduced the Canon S120 to 9900 Baht.

Based on the suggestions here, especially by Jerry  (and also reviews) while i quite fancy the Canon especially at that price. I think i will probably go for the Sony RX100M1 but likely wait and see if the price is going to drop further which is possible as there is now a M2 and M3. Of course there is also the danger that supplies will run out.

I will probably end up going with the RX.  I just took a new job and don’t see myself traveling for a while so I’m guna wait to see if prices drop a bit before my next trip.  I will probably just pick one up on Amazon sometime this year.   Thanks everyone

I will probably end up going with the RX.  I just took a new job and don’t see myself traveling for a while so I’m guna wait to see if prices drop a bit before my next trip.  I will probably just pick one up on Amazon sometime this year.   Thanks everyone

eBays got it $360 -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-Digital-Camera-/361069142347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541165e14b

Edited by Freeze

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but the king of the true compact camera is the Ricoh GR.It has a APSC sized sensor (the same one as in a Nikon d7000 DSLR) & fits in a shirt pocket.I think the only other camera with that spec is the Nikon Coolpix A.I took one to Hong Kong & it is the best handling camera I've ever owned.And I have owned (and sold on) a lot.It is popular with street photographers because of it's features such as snapfocus.The image quality is excellent,the lens super sharp.Some way better than the Sony RX100 II I have now especially in low light.About to sell the Sony & try and find a Ricoh used on ebay for my next trip.The camera won't be for everyone however as it is about £400 & has a fixed 28mm lens,although it has 35 & 50mm crop settings.Thought I should mention it for future browsers.

But I never have it with me because it’s a beast to carry around all day.  Looking for something I can always have on me that will work for this.

iPhone 6.

The best camera is the one you carry on you.

Either the stock camera, or combined with a third-party camera app that gives you direct control over exposure settings.

So good that campaigns are shot with it, and commercial videos are produced with it.

Edited by DaffyDuck

iPhone 6.

Either the stock camera, or combined with a third-party camera app that gives you direct control over exposure settings.

I don't need a pocket camera.I stay with my

Samsung Note 4.Best pics.No more to need.Cheers.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

iPhone 6.

So good that campaigns are shot with it, and commercial videos are produced with it.

Here's a review from Ken Rockwell , on how good the iPhone's camera is"

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#camera

Here's a review from Ken Rockwell , on how good the iPhone's camera is"

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-6-plus.htm#camera

Good link. Pay good attention to the section on low light.

They are remarkably good photos, I'm really impressed. If the AUD wasn't so damn low I'd treat myself to an iPhone 6 today.