IGNORED

High End Pocket Camera?

NorCalKid

16 hours ago, MrLek said:

There isn't a perfect solution just what's best for you. I just did my first trip with a Richo GR11 and was impressed with it over all. I am the least technical person in the solar system and even I could work the menus out pretty easily. I still think it's a bit big for a pocket camera but it has a much better form and is lighter than any of the other apsc sized sensor pocket cameras that i handled. Image quality is really good.

I think most of them have too many features and sub menus which end up being confusing when you just want to get a shot away. 

One school of thought is you should never use the latest super-duper cameras, instead use a camera that is well below your capabilities. This forces you to think creatively to compensate for the lack of technical features. 

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2017 at 0:33 PM, The Sly Fox said:

One school of thought is you should never use the latest super-duper cameras, instead use a camera that is well below your capabilities. This forces you to think creatively to compensate for the lack of technical features. 

I am not entirely sure there is a camera below my capabilities. Truth is if you primarily stick to aperture mode except when using off camera flash you can get good results most of the time. Some photographers primarily shoot in shutter speed priority some prefer aperture and some purists shoot full manual. I am an aperture shooter ,works for me.

The Ricoh was appealing because of the  form factor and the simple menu system and it is one of the reasons that the sony's put me off. The menu's were just too confusing.Not knocking Sony it is just that they are probably suited to gen y folk who are more tech savvy or experienced photographers who can work things through easily. I just want simplicity and a good image.  I am not entirely sold on the Ricoh as it is still bigger than I would like it to be but if i want smaller i need to go down to micro 4/3rds or a 1 inch sensor as it is easily the smallest and lightest apsc compact. 

Edited by MrLek
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

For the Sony's RX100 they get more and more expensive, but Glass is very good. Sure the latest got some improvements, but not to be so crazy about always, compared to older models. The older models, second hand , can be found already around 300 € for a RX 100 M3, with viewfinder.  I use this now for 4  years and use the SLR for better blurred bacground, and it is tremendous.

Most of my albums are made for 80 % with this little camera, portraits with a Canon 550 D

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125991523@N03/albums

11 hours ago, real tintin said:

For the Sony's RX100 they get more and more expensive, but Glass is very good. Sure the latest got some improvements, but not to be so crazy about always, compared to older models. The older models, second hand , can be found already around 300 € for a RX 100 M3, with viewfinder.  I use this now for 4  years and use the SLR for better blurred bacground, and it is tremendous.

An RX100M3 can be found new for around 17k on Lazada , much better deal than buying a slightly upgraded M4 or M5 for twice that money .  

• Like 2

Now the M6 has been announced. Major changes being a 24-200 f2.8-4.5 lens and a touchscreen with touch to focus. For 1200 USD. I'm going to hold on to my M3 which does fine for me - for reach I'll use an DSLR anyway...

Photo taken with a M3...de3ede7ddcd5e401124af462dc4034dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9 people can't make a baby in one month

On 16/06/2018 at 08:43, singalong said:

Now the M6 has been announced. Major changes being a 24-200 f2.8-4.5 lens and a touchscreen with touch to focus. For 1200 USD. I'm going to hold on to my M3 which does fine for me - for reach I'll use an DSLR anyway...

Photo taken with a M3...de3ede7ddcd5e401124af462dc4034dd.jpg

Same here....I use my Canon D550 with a zoom or better, just a 50 mm 1.4 lens

Any zoom is a compromise betweek focal length, speed and image quality. If you stretch one of these, one or more of the others has to give. The M3 suits me fine!
On very long zooms, yes. However, I have used the Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II and the 24-70 2.8L for a long while and both are extremely sharp and there are no real compromises in either of them. I have also used the Canon 100-400 IS2 for wildlife and it's extremely sharp across all focal lengths and gives you the edge when you move in really close over the long prime - the shot below was taken using a 100-400 at 100mm/f5.6/ISO1000 on an old Canon 60D (why 60D is another story altogether!). My friend who was with me using a vastly superior Nikon D5 with a 400mm f2.8 prime missed the shot - the fella was too close...

5d505f56f5b47db479fca4834d77e319.jpg

• Like 3

9 people can't make a baby in one month

Quite agree with that. After years on fast primes, a friend turned me onto that Canon 24-70, it was my main lens on my 5D2 for years following. But getting too heavy.
I like the zoom on the m3, my point was that the m6 longer zoom seems to stretch it too far, also losing the light. The m3 zoom on 24 mm setting is still fast, so OK DOF and ss still usable for my kind of purpose....

I have been trying to decide which way to go.

I have been saving up since my last trip and got my choice narrowed down between these 2. The Fuji is a little more expensive than the Kodak, but I think I will better photos with it.

LeoTex 

Disposable camera b.jpg

Disposable camera a.jpg

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

• 1 year later...
On 09/05/2017 at 04:15, fakebook said:

I bought myself a black Sony DSC-W830.

Very compact and about 4,000 baht.

I keep it in my pocket.

Sony DSC-W830 black.jpg

I have a silver one,,

‘very light and small,,

‘great pics also

Tigers 2017 premiers 

On 17/06/2018 at 18:12, Encora said:

Any zoom is a compromise betweek focal length, speed and image quality. If you stretch one of these, one or more of the others has to give. The M3 suits me fine!

yes, the m3 is a very very very good little camera.

have had mine since 2014, I just had to buy a replacement battery. other than that it still works very well and I really like it all around, especially the 24mm wideangle which a lot of compacts lack.

• 2 months later...
On 16/06/2018 at 02:23, jerry said:

An RX100M3 can be found new for around 17k on Lazada , much better deal than buying a slightly upgraded M4 or M5 for twice that money .  

It's 1.5 years later and the RX100 V can be had for 14k or less. Still a great option for a small and slim point and shoot. Mark VI is around 22k. However the mark VI has the long range zoom that the V lacks. Not sure if it's worth the extra 6k+ though.

23 hours ago, zq11 said:

It's 1.5 years later and the RX100 V can be had for 14k or less. //

Hi. Where do you see it at that price please ? :unsure:

I have had various versions of the 1" sensor RX100.  It has the best combo of video and still imagery. 

But if you want professional grade, apsc size sensor pocket camera, Id go with the Ricoh GR. 

The video is not very good, but for photography its top of the line in its class.  bigger sensor than RX100, 24 megapixels. 

(edit, the III is 24 megapixels, the I &II are 16 megapixels, still created excellent images)

Also years back Nikon made an apsc sensor camera, the Coolpix A, which was excellent. It has aged well, save for autofocus. 

If you find it for cheap its a good. buy. 

Edited by Timon88

On 09/05/2017 at 18:35, Sexy Couple said:

I dumped my Leica M9 in preference for the Fujifilm X100T and never regretted it. The Leica definitely had the better glass but I couldn't use it quickly or in low light but, in real world comparison, the quality difference was unnoticeable.

But 2 weeks ago my wife, a pro photographer, wanted a handbag camera and the X70 was her first choice but s just couldn't get on without a viewfinder so she also gravitated towards the X100T.

So I have her mine and bought an X100F emoji41.png

I have heard some great things about the T, I own the S, which I like (although I don't use it enough). 

Just a note on the M9, very valuable camera... Kodak sensor, has a very unique look. The last great CCD.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2018 at 12:37, LeoTex said:

I have been trying to decide which way to go.

I have been saving up since my last trip and got my choice narrowed down between these 2. The Fuji is a little more expensive than the Kodak, but I think I will better photos with it.

LeoTex 

Disposable camera b.jpg

Disposable camera a.jpg

all jokes aside, I actually still like these. The flash look give it an interesting feel.  And its film. 

last one i bought was 2012, a panasonic pentax lumix pocket camera when I was in HK, I still have it but use it rarely.