IGNORED

TAXI/LIMO SERVICES – Women Owned, Operated, Recommended

brutox

I would like to hear someone in the know about this in Thailand to come up with the actual figures. if this estimate by Matrix123 is anywhere naer the reality,  it  would actually explain why she told me that virtually none of the "grey" Taxi drivers have a official license, nobody could afford it.

Anybody here who has more accurate actual info?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.. matrix123 and lkkrang .. while your interest in helping nong Nam secure whatever commercial credentials is thoughtful (if she does indeed need, or even want such credentials), could you move the conversation to another, or a new thread .. maybe nong Nam's thread?

.. I started the thread to commend the high quality services of women-owned limos to members .. not as a business advisory for them.

.. thanks!

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

Have used Meow but only got her friend driving me. Service was good and I had no problems. Been using Tans taxi for a few years and they are my favourite. Yes you pay a little more but professional service and I always feel safe with her driving.

Point taken, Brutox.

And thank you for posting this

.. no prob, lkkrang .. all forum members should be promoting these women to visitors who haven't yet truly understood the cost of getting wrong what appears a small decision .. unlike in other countries, a bad taxi selection in Thailand can be a real, real bad experience.

.. these women drivers are kicking the living shit out of the traditional male-dominated taxi and limo services .. and not by just a small margin.

.. you keep helping nong Nam .. other members here will hopefully help raise the deal flow for them all .. these women earn our continued patronage every day.

.. this should be a 'must seriously consider' decision for any visitor here, rather than a passive decision.

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

Is there anyone here who can cast light on the regulations and process to be followed to receive a formal license to carry passengers? I understand this would result eventually in getting a green number plate.

I also understand that the vast majority of "grey" taxis do not have these.

Does it require huge fees?

Does it require bribes to the issuing authority or person!

I know Nam has expressed interest in joining that green plate club, but us worried that the moment she asks a question if the relevant authority, she may get someone turn up and close down her service....

But if the right way to get the full licence and insurability were available, I would be more then happy to assist her to achieve that goal.

It's no great secret ... in Bangkok the yellow-green taxis are driver operators (rather than the other candy coloured vehicles which belong to cooperatives and are rented by individuals by the half-day). They are registered and insured as commercial taxis at the Land Transport Department and as such, can carry fare-paying passengers and pick up from the street. Since vehicle insurance in Thailand applies to the vehicle rather than the driver, none of the black plate taxis can be insured to carry fare-paying passengers. Green-plated vehicles are registered to companies (not individuals) engaged in the tourist industry ... All the info is freely available at her local Land Transport Department (doesn't she pass near it every time she drives to the airport?).

I must admit that I'm a bit manic about public transport in Thailand ... I have a few regular drivers in Bangkok and Hat Yai whom I use ... I simply wouldn't use any black plate taxi because they aren't insured to carry me and I'm not interested in pissing around with insurance companies from my hospital bed. I had a friend who ended up in that situation several years ago ... it was all a bit of a mess and not something I care to repeat. Neither do I buy into the notion that all male Thai taxi drivers in Thailand are testosterone fuelled, yaba junkies any more than I do the fact that most Buddhists rely on their amulets rather than seatbelts and airbags for protection.

If she really wanted to get registered, licensed and insured, she could ... but she would have to raise her prices as a result.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that clarification.

>Neither do I buy into the notion that all male Thai taxi drivers in Thailand are testosterone fuelled, yaba junkies any more than I do the fact that most Buddhists rely on their amulets rather than seatbelts and airbags for protection.<

All male Thai Taxi divers?

No, not all, but from my experience,  the proportion that are is too high for my comfort.

I  consider avoiding them a matter of reducing my risk of having a serious accident.

Thanks for that clarification.

>Neither do I buy into the notion that all male Thai taxi drivers in Thailand are testosterone fuelled, yaba junkies any more than I do the fact that most Buddhists rely on their amulets rather than seatbelts and airbags for protection.<

All male Thai Taxi divers?

No, not all, but from my experience,  the proportion that are is too high for my comfort.

I  consider avoiding them a matter of reducing my risk of having a serious accident.

I can see where you're coming from.  If your preference is for uninsured taxi drivers, it's probably a good idea to reduce the risk as much as possible.

Insured taxi driver's payments are no use to me when I'm dead.

Weighing the risks, I believe the chances of dying from an accident caused by a high risk insured driver are higher then incurring damage from an accident by a careful un-insured driver.

I also have serious doubts about the level of insurance cover by such "insured" drivers.

Is it 500.000 bt, or 1.000.000 baht? I suspect, in western terms of coverage, it will be rather inadequate.

Insured taxi driver's payments are no use to me when I'm dead.

Weighing the risks, I believe the chances of dying from an accident caused by a high risk insured driver are higher then incurring damage from an accident by a careful un-insured driver.

It's good that you have taken that into consideration - a pragmatic approach.  Of course, there's also the option of a careful insured driver ... that's the choice I opt for.   :wink:   

Trying to swerve this thread back on topic, I have used Ann's Private Taxi Service for all of my trips since the time she came to get me when Mr. T was overbooked.  I had a great conversation with her on the way to BKK, and she has had my business ever since.  

Always reliable (even with a mix-up in communication on my last trip, the driver was still there on time and I got to BKK early) and always a safe driver -- not too fast; not too slow.

Multiple times, I have had Ann, her brother and a female friend of hers who I think may be from Bangkok (attractive older lady with a VERY nice SUV) drive me, all with no incidents or complaints.  When a female friend of one of my friends needed a taxi, I set her up through Ann, and it worked out perfectly for her, too.

I'm always happy to see Ann's service get mentioned in threads about taxis, and very happy to see that you have been a satisfied customer of hers, Brutox!

(also, this thread was a nice reminder that I need to email Ann about my trip coming up in less than 2 weeks, so thanks for that!)

I think most of the accidents are caused by more than one vehicle (except a MALE driver drive his car to a wall). For the last a few years, I saw more and more trucks carry containers on the road to/from Bangkok to Pattaya. And they are all MALE drivers. Even you have a careful FEMALE driver to take you to/from Pattaya, you are still sharing the highway with a lots of high risk MALE drivers. Those trucks could be easy to smash your FEMALE driver's car into pieces. 99% of the registered taxis and illegal taxis are driven by MALE drivers. So, I don't know how muck risk you could lower by the FEMALE driver.

If you have WESTERN travel insurance, you don't need to worry about how much the taxi's insurance cover. Your travel insurance should cover it in the WESTERN standard. If you don't have WESTERN travel insurance, the registered taxi should be able to cover the basic medical bill. For the illegal taxi, you may need to pay the medical bill on your own.

There's a fallacy here - some folks are more comfortable riding with a demonstrably more dangerous driver simply because then, their insurance coverage is beyond dispute. Kooky.

Logically, it'd be a lot better to go with a far less risky driver (also proved to be so, the females) and not have to worry about insurance.

Kinda like barebacking a farm fresh girl versus bagging up and going A-level on a 20-year Pattaya veteran. Different risk levels. Pardon the comparison.

Moral hazard is the concept. Ref the added risk-taking by motorcyclists who wear helmets and other gear versus those who ride with no helmet and in shorts and a tshirt. Different riding styles...

(I've just sent a request to Meow to handle my travels next time in LOS)

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

Logically, it'd be a lot better to go with a far less risky driver (also proved to be so, the females) and not have to worry about insurance.

There are more than two options, even if some guys would prefer you believed otherwise.  Much better to get a careful driver who is insured.  Nothing kooky about that!    :Think1:

• 1 month later...

I recently had to use a different driver from my usual, so contacted Tann. She didn't have any women driver available for my time slot and asked if she could send a man, for whom she could vouch as a safe driver.

He was, drove no mire then 110 all the wsy, no dangerous overtaking, either...

Used Tann taxi service in April.... From and to airport. Woman, not Tann, drove us down to Pattaya, no problem. Even better service when T ann took us smoothly to the airport going home. Everything from booking, confirmation, pick-up and payment was perfect...and Tann is a really nice person

Thank you Tann :)

Interesting thread.......

At the end of the day there is NOTHING that prevents you from riding in a privatly owned vehicle in a foreign country as long as it is insured and operated by a duly liscensed individual in accordance with applicable rules of the road and you are wearing a seatbelt/protective equipment for said class of transport. UNLESS specifically prohibited by terms of coverage (i.e moto taxis).

Shit happens....true.... But I would challenge my trip insurance company to prove that the baht in the drivers wallet was paid by me for unregulated services rendered.

Sometimes you cant read into the test question! LOL!

Find a good reputable driver, (thats a real benefit of this great board), and relax!!

My two cents,

Caz

• 1 month later...

I have to object to calling the motorway from BKK to pattaya "rural". Rural highways in Thailand can be a nightmare with extremely overloaded trucks going very slowly on one lane highways while cars are travelling at high rates of speed passing at every opportunity. Conditions from BKK to pattaya are much better than that.

A safe driver should be a very high priority in choosing a taxi & you don't get that by queuing up at the taxi stand. 

• 1 month later...

Just emailed these companies so thank you. I wanted to report that the ann_thailand email came back as incorrect so if anyone wants to try them maybe go to website or give them a call? I was lazy so emailed some others from above as emails much easier for me to deal with this trip.

Will try and remember to give feedback after Thursday trip

meow and her camry last year........

march april 16 001_800x396.jpg

march april 16 004_800x573.jpg

i booked her to take some mates to the airport and they are such pissheads i was concerned they would be out for the count so i turned up in case i had to drag their legs into gear.

but all was well

^Looks like Kojak and his sidekick that ate all the pies...hope she got paid

^Looks like Kojak and his sidekick that ate all the pies...hope she got paid

top blokes, one with an appetite.......

march april 11 054_749x600.jpg

march april 11 055_800x600.jpg

I understand the insurance implications of using private hire, but weighing that up with other considerations I am sticking with Meow, my current 'lady driver' (or as has occurred lately her lovely friend Moy). I just feel safe and comfortable. There is definitely a macho driving thing with Thai blokes, also drink driving and fatigue more likely to be an issue. The lady drivers (many single mums) are more likely to go home for a kip than hit the Lao Khao with their mates after a long days work. If I'm stereotyping, sorry, but that's my experience.

And women tend to be tidier, another stereotype I know. But compare your average male mate's flat to your average lady mate's flat.

I also do like supporting enterprising women having a go.

My experience with Meow was very good. Just confirmed multiple bookings of pick and drop for meow this month for my company. Hope all goes well.

Using Nam also for the first time this month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just emailed these companies so thank you. I wanted to report that the ann_thailand email came back as incorrect so if anyone wants to try them maybe go to website or give them a call? I was lazy so emailed some others from above as emails much easier for me to deal with this trip.

Will try and remember to give feedback after Thursday trip

I have it as [email protected]

Is that the one you used?  I will try to confirm it with Ann, as I always recommend her service.  

Archived