IGNORED

Business Class Fares & Offers

davidge

6 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Last couple of days of a real promo that may be of interest to those who live in Thailand.

http://www.srilankan.com/en_uk/special-offers/promotion/srilankan-travel-fest

For travel between March 1 and December 10.

Example: BKK>LHR>BKK in business class for 62,000B

That's a great deal Kitten. Please post any other discount travel options you have. I'll definitely be making a booking soon!!

8 hours ago, roderick said:

That's a great deal Kitten. Please post any other discount travel options you have. I'll definitely be making a booking soon!!

Last day tomorrow so dont hang about. After that you are probably looking at about 10-15,000B on the price.

I fly with them every year and have never been disappointed. Service is good. I've always been particular fond of the local food they produce on the ground, both in the lounge and in the layover hotels I have stayed in. If you like interesting and tasty curries, with accompanying sambals, you just cant go wrong. Never seen any pork there though, so I would avoid the breakfast sausages.

CMB airport is also very small and very easy to transit through. All in all a very good experience.

Edited by KittenKong

HI Kitten

I looked at their site, they are offering incredibly good value !! 

How often do these  discount fares  come around??

That particular airline has a couple of sales every year, as do many others. Prices/discounts vary according to supply and demand of course.

Recently booked Turkish airlines return from Dublin to Bangkok via Istanbul for 1650 Euro. Great price for business and they get great reviews, really good flight times too and the lounge in Istanbul is supposed to be outstanding!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, dontpanic said:

Recently booked Turkish airlines return from Dublin to Bangkok via Istanbul for 1650 Euro. Great price for business and they get great reviews, really good flight times too and the lounge in Istanbul is supposed to be outstanding!

i did the same  with turkish airlines with a 7 day layover in ist for 1750 € . i also found it great value and am itching to go ! 

32 minutes ago, dontpanic said:

also , im delighted to know about the lounge in istanbul !

Be aware when flying via Turkey that some countries/airlines, including the UK,  ban electronic items lager than a small cellphone from being carried carry on bags. So for example if you are returning to the UK from Thailand on Turkish Airlines you will have to put laptops etc into you checked in bags. 

4 hours ago, gmingot said:

Be aware when flying via Turkey that some countries/airlines, including the UK,  ban electronic items lager than a small cellphone from being carried carry on bags. So for example if you are returning to the UK from Thailand on Turkish Airlines you will have to put laptops etc into you checked in bags. 

A friend flew from BAH to LGW (via Ataturk) with Turkish in September and was allowed iPad etc on the UK leg. All hand baggage was hand searched though.

He described the airport as a shithole. :rolleyes:

Edited by davidge

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

20 minutes ago, davidge said:

A friend flew from BAH to LGW (via Ataturk) with Turkish in September and was allowed iPad etc on the UK leg. All hand baggage was hand searched though.

He described the airport as a shithole. :rolleyes:

I have flewn biz on THY to JNB on multible times and very impressed of their service however, as with every flight, its all down to the crew. 

Agree IST is a shithole but the Star Allience (Turkish) lounge iS absolutely in the upper class when it comes to biz class lounges. Really good selection in food, attentive staff and some (very) comfortable areas.  Point Guy had a review early 2018 that very much summarize my impression   https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/turkish-ist-business-lounge-review/   and will absolutely use their services on other occasion

8 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

I have flewn biz on THY to JNB on multible times and very impressed of their service however, as with every flight, its all down to the crew. 

Agree IST is a shithole but the Star Allience (Turkish) lounge iS absolutely in the upper class when it comes to biz class lounges. Really good selection in food, attentive staff and some (very) comfortable areas.  Point Guy had a review early 2018 that very much summarize my impression   https://thepointsguy.com/2018/01/turkish-ist-business-lounge-review/   and will absolutely use their services on other occasion

They’ve certainly developed a very good reputation in Business Class in recent years.

Done Turkey...  Istanbul Airport was aright I thought ...  had a thai girl come over and meet me there.  they did ask if we could check in some of our hand luggage as the the flight was totally full and lot of people just had hand luggage. Was allowed my laptop etc no problem  just not my mini suitcase I had with me full of my skiing clothes etc. but it did seem more of a space issue on board in the over head lockers  than any thing else.  that was  Istanbul to London.   and was economy 

Doubt they would stop a business class flyer taking on a laptop .. one of the reason for business class is that you can work and that needs a laptop ..  surely !! 

Turkish airline lounge in Istanbul quite impressive and if you have longer layover they will even put you up in hotel there as well.  However, if shorter layover seemed that it was bit out of the way to get to and this cut into enjoyment of it.

1 hour ago, rioman said:

Turkish airline lounge in Istanbul quite impressive and if you have longer layover they will even put you up in hotel there as well.  However, if shorter layover seemed that it was bit out of the way to get to and this cut into enjoyment of it.

I think it is only 25 km into town which is half an hour, probably a bit more during rush hours. Probably not worth risking unless you have a six hour layover but if you have I'm pretty sure that it would be worth the trip.

I flew with Turkish a couple of years ago. I thought they were shit and I will never fly with them again

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

7 minutes ago, Judge Dredd said:

I flew with Turkish a couple of years ago. I thought they were shit and I will never fly with them again

In Economy or Biz?

11 hours ago, davidge said:

In Economy or Biz?

It was in business class. 

The judge has spoken and passed judgement

22 hours ago, Guiness said:

also , im delighted to know about the lounge in istanbul !

Any lounge with a scaletrix track has to be good! Food looks great too.

21 hours ago, gmingot said:

I checked the baggage conditions and it's 40kg checked and two carry on bags where they specifically say a laptop can be one.It would be very unusual

https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/any-questions/carry-on-baggage/index.html

Then I found this page which specifically mentions the US and UK electronics ban where you can use them until you board the aircraft then crew take them from you. I think this specifically affects the US and UK although the article is from last March. That wouldn't bother me, I usually don't use the laptop on board and just use it for watching youtube whilst waiting in airports. There's usually plenty of entertainment on board. I might drop them an email to see what the story is.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/03/24/turkish-airlines-electronics-ban/

16 hours ago, T-T-T said:

Done Turkey...  Istanbul Airport was aright I thought ...  had a thai girl come over and meet me there.  they did ask if we could check in some of our hand luggage as the the flight was totally full and lot of people just had hand luggage. Was allowed my laptop etc no problem  just not my mini suitcase I had with me full of my skiing clothes etc. but it did seem more of a space issue on board in the over head lockers  than any thing else.  that was  Istanbul to London.   and was economy 

Doubt they would stop a business class flyer taking on a laptop .. one of the reason for business class is that you can work and that needs a laptop ..  surely !! 

Its not a Turkish Airlines rule, its a UK government rule regarding inbound UK flights from Turkey and about half a dozen other countries which are deemed to be a terrorism related risk

13 hours ago, Judge Dredd said:

I've gone with Etihad pretty much exclusively for the past 10 years but there service which started off great has been declining and getting more expensive. For example, no more Chauffeur service except in UAE, no more lounge access for Silver tier guests again except in Abu Dhabi and it's the smaller lounge. Abu Dhabi is getting too busy, too packed and prone to delays so Turkish have been getting great reviews and are 600 Euro cheaper so I'm willing to try it out.

2 minutes ago, gmingot said:

Its not a Turkish Airlines rule, its a UK government rule regarding inbound UK flights from Turkey and about half a dozen other countries which are deemed to be a terrorism related risk

Yes, but as I said, it was not being implemented in September. The UK Govt website is unclear - restrictions were lifted for many airports and airlines last year.

1 minute ago, davidge said:

Yes, but as I said, it was not being implemented in September. The UK Govt website is unclear - restrictions were lifted for many airports and airlines last year.

Agreed, the ban was lifted for many countries, however, it still stands for Turkey, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi and Tunisia.

The following is from the BA website, The rules apply to all airlines flying direct from these countries to the UK

https://www.britishairways.com/travel/flightops/public/en_gb?p_faqid=6398

I know what you are talking about but the BA website is out of date.

Firstly, the restrictions have been lifted completely at some airports. The following is from the UK Govt website:

You do not need to follow these restrictions if your flight is from Antalya, Bodrum, Istanbul Sabiha Gökçen or Izmir airports in Turkey,

Secondly, the restrictions were also lifted at other airports for SOME airlines. The UK Gov website says to check with each airline. 

Thirdly, as I’ve posted earlier, a friend, wife & daughter flew with Turkish from Bahrain to Gatwick last September. No such restrictions were imposed. Their carry-ons were hand searched at Ataturk but there was no problem taking iPads on board - actually his daughter also had a bottle of water but that’s another matter!

Edit: to make sure, I contacted Turkish Airlines. :)

They say all restrictions have been lifted.

Edited by davidge