Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Guest House - Room 1C -Review

up2u2

I think my post was totally misunderstood. 

I have a problem with Paypal...not Canterbury.

Problem with Paypal is:

I make a deposit for a different person then myself. Paypal forces me to open an account with this persons name but with my credit card details (and that's never good). I also think paypal would block my existing account for security reasons. (Also not good)

You guys don't see the hazzle here?

With a different solution I believe this could lead to more bookings trough Canterburys website. Canterbury has a good rep for the budget traveler and most likely is a very good place to stay when in Pattaya. I want to come with an friendly suggestion to the owner of Canterbury to look around for a different " payment gateway". You can still take your deposit but it would make it more "user friendly" for your guests.

But what do I know about business?  :WinkGrin1: 

Cheers

Not sure if I totally understand this because if you want to make a deposit with me for a friend, you make the deposit in your name and tell me the deposit is for a room for your friend fred bloggs or who ever, this has often happened where a guest wants a room and his mate/brother etc send on the deposit with a message telling me it's for >>>??.

Paypal is as simple as it comes, you do not need a Paypal account as you can use your credit card and pay with that as you do when paying anything else with the card.

Its also no big deal setting up a paypal account and you can then use it to sell or buy things, I use it all the time and buy things online and have them sent to family in UK.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all good Dave it's your business how you run it is totally up to you.

If customers cannot fit in with your terms and conditions and the way you want to run things f@$k em.

Not my attitude I'am afraid.

I understand perfectly utopi. I wanted to book with I-Rover once and it required payment through some unheard of UK based PayPal system. Signing up and doing all that crap was more than it was worth to make a booking. Fortunately I have had a PayPal account for some time and I am very familiar with it.

Just one other thing when making your deposit through PayPal Dave has it set so it captures ALL your personal information. So have a PO Box and a secondary email address if you don't want this info transferred. I am sure it was set tat way.

Dave has made his position clear. 'Cant be bothered using PayPal bugger off somewhere else'. It is his choice. It's his business and runs it the way he wants.

I capture all of your personal details, what are you talking about, my Paypal is set up like anyone elses, I don't get a message telling me how tall you are and the color of your hair when you use Paypal, mine is the same as everyone elses.

I have never had this attitude you seem to adopt where I say bugger of somewhere else, its your attitude not mine, we have been running since 2005 and sure have guys who cannot/will not pay a deposit and in my experience if they will not pay a deposit many will not turn up and in business here you cannot cater for this when your rooms are busy most of the time.

When a guest pays a deposit I know they intend to turn up and they know the room will be saved for them so works both ways, you may loose a few baht in the exchange rate but any transfer of money this way charges are made so its not only paypal where you loose a few baht.

UpU2 got your facts wrong from the 1st post and have escalated it into me telling people to bugger of if they don't like it, total rubbish, its a well run system adopted by many Hotel's & Guest houses in Pattaya, I can offer you to book a room with a Thai run establishment and pay no deposit and will be completely luck if the room is actually available when you arrive.

I understand perfectly utopi. I wanted to book with I-Rover once and it required payment through some unheard of UK based PayPal system. Signing up and doing all that crap was more than it was worth to make a booking. Fortunately I have had a PayPal account for some time and I am very familiar with it.

Just one other thing when making your deposit through PayPal Dave has it set so it captures ALL your personal information. So have a PO Box and a secondary email address if you don't want this info transferred. I am sure it was set tat way.

Dave has made his position clear. 'Cant be bothered using PayPal bugger off somewhere else'. It is his choice. It's his business and runs it the way he wants.

I think you are quoting yourself not Dave , he never said bugger off if you can't use PayPal ... What he said is that's the system he has got and it's similar to the system with other guest houses ....why are you putting words in dave's mouth ...that your comment ...own up .

That's a nice room u got Dave . For the price u can't beat it IMO . I might actually book this room on my next next trip as I'm already staying at VT6 this trip.... If this tread wasn't bumped so much I wouldn't have seen what a great deal this is .. I'm a picky fucker when it comes to room and I must say this one looks pretty nice for 20$ .

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Nice room ..... Looks very nice and comfy , I think Dave , should name it " SPAM WORD Room " and charge more for it ....
charging more .... Boo ....

I don't agree with you Gobby.

I think the Devonshire rooms are better value.

I liked the raised area near the windows but it needed a step to access it. Stepping up and down you had to be a little careful. It has the kitchen area but other than a cup of coffee / tea I don't cook meals. Great if you want to cook meals.

No PayPal payment if you are unfamiliar with it, no capturing of personal details when paying deposit and you don't take a hit on 3 currency exchange rates where 600 baht becomes 644 baht per night.

Not sure if Devonshire is still doing the 'Free Breakfast' with room but it isn't too bad. Although I don't have breakfast everyday so I tend not to factor that in. If a Pool is a factor then you can pop in at Opey De Place hotel at 100? baht.

I think Lengkee is a better Soi than Chaiyapoon. Closer to 7-11 / Family Mart a ton of Restaurants. It isn't a big deal but when walking to and from Room 1C you have to pass the 'massage Hello Girls' on Chaiyapoon. It gets a little annoying after the 50th time lol.

Up2U though

I have to pull my finger out and get this review on the apartments I stayed at on Soi Diana last trip absolutely fantastic value and seriously the friendliest service I have received from a Thai run business.

I don't agree with you Gobby.

I think the Devonshire rooms are better value.

I liked the raised area near the windows but it needed a step to access it. Stepping up and down you had to be a little careful. It has the kitchen area but other than a cup of coffee / tea I don't cook meals. Great if you want to cook meals.

No PayPal payment if you are unfamiliar with it, no capturing of personal details when paying deposit and you don't take a hit on 3 currency exchange rates where 600 baht becomes 644 baht per night.

Not sure if Devonshire is still doing the 'Free Breakfast' with room but it isn't too bad. Although I don't have breakfast everyday so I tend not to factor that in. If a Pool is a factor then you can pop in at Opey De Place Hotel at 100? baht.

I think Lengkee is a better Soi than Chaiyapoon. Closer to 7-11 / Family Mart a ton of Restaurants. It isn't a big deal but when walking to and from Room 1C you have to pass the 'Massage Hello Girls' on Chaiyapoon. It gets a little annoying after the 50th time lol.

Up2U though

I have to pull my finger out and get this review on the apartments I stayed at on Soi Diana last trip absolutely fantastic value and seriously the friendliest service I have received from a Thai run business.

no one ever have to agree with me . I have hangout in that building MANY MANY TIMES FOR years ( 3-4 ) as my friend always stay with Dave and I like it ( the area ) a lot . Now that Lolita's just open almost across it would be even better......

If I was going to stay in soi chaiyapoon or Langkee or buakao for that matter I would consider cantaburytale cafe first in my options . Not only is the place decent for price wise but the staff is very friendly and helpful. Not to mention Dave is a top guy ( no homo bro ) the food is great ( English breakfast ) even his wife is nice and always smiling ... Over all I will say I feel very comfy there.. No bullshit...

This post seem like ass kissing but it ain't . I don't get special service from Dave or an extra discount for anything. And to be honest the only reason I ever found out about the place is because my bud always stay there . And I must say I grown to really like the place and the people...

Places like I Rover Luxury Apartments, China garden , Boomerang , Billabong require no deposit if you don't want the Pay Pal payment plan me neither so not a problem , just too many guest houses flogging a room , . I think to if a hotel Includes  breakfast many do , a pool , some stairs , decent view and balcony these low priced rooms are not such wonderful value for money , 20 pounds English gets you Nature View or 21Pounds  gets you Sabia Empress with breakfast on Agoda Flash deal today,

Bookings.Com as well great deals right now . just examples of value for money  options, both with NO deposit and pay later . .

So your recommendation breaks down to 'Dave is a top bloke' and 'my mates stay there' and 'for the last 3-4 years this is the only place I stay'.

I did bring to the attention of staff that the street level door although having a 'tap and open' security lock could simply be pulled open. I was met with blank stares. What was even more hilarious was a little sign that said 'please do not pull the door open'. I have to admit I did 'run foul' of the creepy little shirtless guy in the ground level apartment who scared the shit out of me when he unexpectedly appeared berating me for pulling the door open. I hadn't seen the sign and wasn't sure if I had secured the door properly as it was just pulling open. After saying 'I hope any potential thieves abide by the sign then' and scampered off lol

Aaaah a Lolita fan. Can I recommend KJS House. You can trip at the front door and fall right into the arms of a Lolita honey. lol

IMG_6985.jpg

Brand new apartments August 2013 I grabbed the opening special @ 500 baht a night.

IMG_6987.jpg

IMG_7000.jpg

There's your little Lolita girlies right over your balcony lol

This so how I roll:

I wouldn't be getting into a pissing contest, Utopi would be getting a PM from me and I would be asking what deposit payment is convenient for him. Utopi would be booked in quickly and conveniently to one of my rooms. I would be doing a full review of my deposit procedures. I would have the front door lock repaired so it worked properly. I would put in a step to the upper area. I would be hunting down those stinking candles and binning them.

Now breakfast:

IMG_7017.jpg

This was Canterbury Tales breakfast. The only comment would be that 'bacon' should be fed to the Soi Cat.

IMG_7935.jpg

This is i-Rover English breakfast 100 baht. Nice bacon. One breakfast was a little overcooked though quite edible.

IMG_8011.jpg

If you prefer a more American style breakfast you can't go past Billabong's 100 baht breakfast.

IMG_6399.jpg

Or if Devonshire is still doing free breakfast then this breakfast is okay. To be honest if you twisted the owners arm he would probably throw in breakfast if you asked. Pop that 'bacon' in a napkin and give it to a Soi cat though. At least you will get some Buddha goodwill. lol

At the end of the day an owner being my best buddy isn't why I visit Pattaya. This is the little honey I want to be my bestest buddy for the night:

IMG_7842.jpg

Still trying to get this little cutie out of my mind.

So your recommendation breaks down to 'Dave is a top bloke' and 'my mates stay there' and 'for the last 3-4 years this is the only place I stay'.

I did bring to the attention of staff that the street level door although having a 'tap and open' security lock could simply be pulled open. I was met with blank stares. What was even more hilarious was a little sign that said 'please do not pull the door open'. I have to admit I did 'run foul' of the creepy little shirtless guy in the ground level apartment who scared the shit out of me when he unexpectedly appeared berating me for pulling the door open. I hadn't seen the sign and wasn't sure if I had secured the door properly as it was just pulling open. After saying 'I hope any potential thieves abide by the sign then' and scampered off lol

Aaaah a Lolita fan. Can I recommend KJS House. You can trip at the front door and fall right into the arms of a Lolita honey. lol

attachicon.gifIMG_6985.jpg

Brand new apartments August 2013 I grabbed the opening special @ 500 baht a night.

attachicon.gifIMG_6987.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_7000.jpg

There's your little Lolita girlies right over your balcony lol

This so how I roll:

I wouldn't be getting into a pissing contest, Utopi would be getting a PM from me and I would be asking what deposit payment is convenient for him. Utopi would be booked in quickly and conveniently to one of my rooms. I would be doing a full review of my deposit procedures. I would have the front door lock repaired so it worked properly. I would put in a step to the upper area. I would be hunting down those stinking candles and binning them.

Now breakfast:

attachicon.gifIMG_7017.jpg

This was Canterbury Tales breakfast. The only comment would be that 'bacon' should be fed to the Soi Cat.

attachicon.gifIMG_7935.jpg

This is i-Rover English breakfast 100 baht. Nice bacon. One breakfast was a little overcooked though quite edible.

attachicon.gifIMG_8011.jpg

If you prefer a more American style breakfast you can't go past Billabong's 100 baht breakfast.

attachicon.gifIMG_6399.jpg

Or if Devonshire is still doing free breakfast then this breakfast is okay. To be honest if you twisted the owners arm he would probably throw in breakfast if you asked. Pop that 'bacon' in a napkin and give it to a Soi cat though. At least you will get some Buddha goodwill. lol

At the end of the day an owner being my best buddy isn't why I visit Pattaya. This is the little honey I want to be my bestest buddy for the night:

attachicon.gifIMG_7842.jpg

Still trying to get this little cutie out of my mind.

yes my recommendation is because I like the staff, the rooms . the location and Dave is a top guy.

What else do I need to make a recommendation ?

Well actually I don't like the color of Dave car ( white ) maybe I won't eat at his shop next time...lol

----

yes my recommendation is because I like the staff, the rooms . the location and Dave is a top guy.

Well actually I don't like the color of Dave car ( white ) maybe I won't eat at his shop next time...lol

----

Thanks Gobby and I think maybe we should call it a stalemate as the OP had his facts wrong from the word go and has been coming up with some weird calculations since, we take deposits from anyone who is not a regular and have been doing for years and it works well, it also guarantees the room reservation for you and that can go a long way especially high season.

I remember the op now as he said he mentioned the shirtless guy, he mentioned the op too so lets leave it there, you cant please all the people all the time and when someone has facts wrong and starts making things up then it's going nowhere, we all have choices. 

----

No that's all good Gobby. I am the exact opposite. My view is a review / recommendation should be fiercely independent. I don't want the owner or any staff to know me or be my buddy. Basically I want to blow in as just a regular punter off the street and see what the bottom line on any particular business is. So unlike you I am not 'top bloke' Daves, his wife and staff best buddy I am just Mr Nobody punter dragging himself off the street and checking in.

I didn't find the staff overly friendly. Dave's wife certainly didn't introduce herself or say hello. A little confusion finding my booking but that is often normal. Had to wait around a bit while they found someone to walk me up to the room. Drew a total blank on the malfunctioning door but again that is pretty usual for Thai staff. On check out there was no thanks for staying and see you next trip. Service overall I would consider to be average.

Then I suppose if you are 'top bloke' Daves best mate, and after 3-4 years Dave's wife and staff know you and say hello and make you feel welcome I would prefer the fact that you are simply checking in is enough rather than waiting the 3-4 years to be provided with that type of attitude and service.

Thanks Gobby and I think maybe we should call it a stalemate as the OP had his facts wrong from the word go and has been coming up with some weird calculations since, we take deposits from anyone who is not a regular and have been doing for years and it works well, it also guarantees the room reservation for you and that can go a long way especially high season.

I remember the op now as he said he mentioned the shirtless guy, he mentioned the op too so lets leave it there, you cant please all the people all the time and when someone has facts wrong and starts making things up then it's going nowhere, we all have choices. 

That's odd seems the customer is always wrong unless he is saying what a top bloke Dave is.

Well there ya go. Who would have thought. lol

No that's all good Gobby. I am the exact opposite. My view is a review / recommendation should be fiercely independent. I don't want the owner or any staff to know me or be my buddy. Basically I want to blow in as just a regular punter off the street and see what the bottom line on any particular business is. So unlike you I am not 'top bloke' Daves, his wife and staff best buddy I am just Mr Nobody punter dragging himself off the street and checking in.

I didn't find the staff overly friendly. Dave's wife certainly didn't introduce herself or say hello. A little confusion finding my booking but that is often normal. Had to wait around a bit while they found someone to walk me up to the room. Drew a total blank on the malfunctioning door but again that is pretty usual for Thai staff. On check out there was no thanks for staying and see you next trip. Service overall I would consider to be average.

Then I suppose if you are 'top bloke' Daves best mate, and after 3-4 years Dave's wife and staff know you and say hello and make you feel welcome I would prefer the fact that you are simply checking in is enough rather than waiting the 3-4 years to be provided with that type of attitude and service.

whatever dude..lol

---

all this thread bumping cant be bad for business. 

That's odd seems the customer is always wrong unless he is saying what a top bloke Dave is.

Well there ya go. Who would have thought. lol

So your argument is that you didn't get a 'thank you' from the staff after all you did was whine at them for your stay? and that there was some improvement in security in your opinion that would of made it better and they didn't immediately alter what has worked for years for them and do it your way?

On my first visit there I locked all of my money in the safe and couldn't get it out and had a aircon unit start to leak water, these were both sorted out within minutes of me reporting them. I also have never left there and not had a 'thank you' from the staff/Dave/Daves wife(if they are there), maybe you could try and not be a constant problem during your stay and you would get one too!

Bill

whatever dude..lol

---

all this thread bumping cant be bad for business. 

Yeah whatever, if customer service isn't your thing dude.

I'm not sure. If I saw Dave's attitude on this thread, which is basically 'got a problem? tell someone who cares' lol

No way I'd be booking in there after reading this but up to BM'ers I think it's their risk.

Some business people see customer feedback as an opportunity to improve their business many get defensive and attack people who dare to raise an issue with them. up2 them.

So your argument is that you didn't get a 'thank you' from the staff after all you did was whine at them for your stay? and that there was some improvement in security in your opinion that would of made it better and they didn't immediately alter what has worked for years for them and do it your way?

On my first visit there I locked all of my money in the safe and couldn't get it out and had a aircon unit start to leak water, these were both sorted out within minutes of me reporting them. I also have never left there and not had a 'thank you' from the staff/Dave/Daves wife(if they are there), maybe you could try and not be a constant problem during your stay and you would get one too!

Bill

If staff don't want to say 'thanks come again' up2 them doesn't worry me. Other than mentioning the street door lock was broken I checked in and checked out no hassle from me.

Dave's cheer squad aside a potential customer needing another deposit option, front street door lock broken, some creepy unknown shirtless guy confronting guests, 600 baht room becoming a 644 baht room via currency exchange, candles that made the room smell, a simple step up to the upper level in the room is all okay with Dave nothing to do with me. His business his decision. Seems like simple things to address to me.

Starting to get a little like an episode of Faulty Towers lol

If staff don't want to say 'thanks come again' up2 them doesn't worry me. Other than mentioning the street door lock was broken I checked in and checked out no hassle from me.

Dave's cheer squad aside a potential customer needing another deposit option, front street door lock broken, some creepy unknown shirtless guy confronting guests, 600 baht room becoming a 644 baht room via currency exchange, candles that made the room smell, a simple step up to the upper level in the room is all okay with Dave nothing to do with me. His business his decision. Seems like simple things to address to me.

Starting to get a little like an episode of Faulty Towers lol

Sometimes if Basil Fawlty is the main star, I am sure your life seems like it is like a episode of faulty towers.

Nearly all(including me) stay with Dave and have a very positive experience and re-book year after year, it isn't the Marriott and doesn't pretend to be! But I am sure the Marriott would have some issues that would irk you.

I do believe that you are trying to pick holes in something where there wasn't really any, it has made you come across as 'one of those people'. Your only real issue was the door, but any door can be forced with extra effort, so not really an issue, also the 'creepy guy' heard you trying to force it and came strait out. isn't that just good security!

Bill

I really have no opinion at all with either Dave's business practices (deposit) or CT as I have never stayed there, eaten yes (no complaints)! BUT what does piss me off here is the OP's practice of recommending other places c/w pics etc !

FFS if you want to advertise his competition go elsewhere & start other threads, maybe on SHHHH, OH sorry forgot your not really welcome there anymore either! Wherever & whatever you post just remember to tell the truth & not BS as you always get caught out, would have thought by now you would have at the very least have learnt that!

Hi Dave see you for breakfast on the 3rd June unless my aircraft goes on a magical Asian tour!

I really

No 'Pheat' the room was fine mate.

Clean tidy comfortable plenty of space.

No way I would use the term 'slum'

I have stayed in smaller rooms and paid twice the price.

The rate you were charged appears to be very cheap for what you got. The room seems underpriced IMHO.

I really have no opinion at all with either Dave's business practices (deposit) or CT as I have never stayed there, eaten yes (no complaints)! BUT what does piss me off here is the OP's practice of recommending other places c/w pics etc !

FFS if you want to advertise his competition go elsewhere & start other threads, maybe on SHHHH, OH sorry forgot your not really welcome there anymore either! Wherever & whatever you post just remember to tell the truth & not BS as you always get caught out, would have thought by now you would have at the very least have learnt that!

Hi Dave see you for breakfast on the 3rd June unless my aircraft goes on a magical Asian tour!

I really

This is a independent review it is not Canterbury Tales promotional thread if people want to come onto it and post that Canterbury Tales is the best value for money and has the best English breakfast that simply is not true. I am not promoting other places just presenting my opinion that Devonshire I consider better value and possibly KJS House is newer and better value and if you are looking for a good English breakfast then i-Rover English breakfast at 100 baht is better quality and better value. I am not here to advertise anyone's business. A few issues have been raised and Dave has answered them. Up to people to make up their minds if they wish to book there. Enjoy your breakfast with Dave.

The rate you were charged appears to be very cheap for what you got. The room seems underpriced IMHO.

He has purposely  mis-lead on the price, he quotes the exchange rate between AUD and TBH, but not the rates between AUD-GBP-THB. He has also quoted a different source for rates and does not say what the paypal rate was.

Bill

He has purposely  mis-lead on the price, he quotes the exchange rate between AUD and TBH, but not the rates between AUD-GBP-THB. He has also quoted a different source for rates and does not say what the paypal rate was.

Bill

He states that he paid 644 baht per night. The website states that the charge for room 1 C is 650 per night.

Archived