IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Guest House - Room 1C -Review

up2u2

And you would go broke like many have out there!

Daves model is one that has worked so well that he has had to expand into different buildings on the Soi, a lot of this has to do with Dave himself and the way he handles guests. I think many envy him of his success and would love to know how to replicate his model, but alas they are not Dave and it just wouldn't work.

Bill

First of all I never said Dave's (Dont know him) model isn't working. I'm only saying "my" model would work better. It would increase the turnover of such an establishment. Higher turnover often results in bigger profit in the long run. It also increases the total value of the mother company and  the owner/s would get more by a sale.

Go broke? Could be, but highly doubt it!

But to quote myself: What do I know about business?

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is getting a rough ride here from a few(use your own choice of expletives).

He has done what many of us can only dream of and made a business work out in Thailand, so why are a few people trying to tell him he got it all wrong?? obviously he didn't!

I respect Dave for what he has done and how friendly he is to people and will stick up for him when he gets unfair treatment, like I would for anyone I respect!

And there is nothing wrong with a little bro-mance! 555

Bill

I dont feel im harsh or telling him he is wrong. I wanted to make a booking and asked if there where other alternatives to pay for the room (deposit) then Paypal. Maybe I was abit harsh above Paypal in my first post but never said anything negative above CT.

Only wanted to book a room..nothing more.

Didnt get any PM as stated by the owner nor did I feel any willingness to solve my issue. I did get a "my way or the highway" feeling tough:)

The rest is just pure fun. 

I dont feel im harsh or telling him he is wrong. I wanted to make a booking and asked if there where other alternatives to pay for the room (deposit) then Paypal. Maybe I was abit harsh above Paypal in my first post but never said anything negative above CT.

Only wanted to book a room..nothing more.

Didnt get any PM as stated by the owner nor did I feel any willingness to solve my issue. I did get a "my way or the highway" feeling tough:)

The rest is just pure fun. 

Please explain, did you pm me re a booking, sorry if I missed it, or forgot, maybe you can remind me of it.

I have paypal which has worked well for many years, sometimes guys have pals in Pattaya who can pop in with a deposit, western union is too expensive, as I believe bank transfers area also,  I don't have the attitude it is my way of the highway, please advise me of a better method than paypal .

I can only guarantee a booking with a deposit, that came from when I did not take deposits having too many book on a whim only to not turn up and anyone who is busy particularly over high season cannot afford to have that.

My theory is that if someone is willing to pay a small deposit then they intend to turn up, in the past year I have had probably 6 guys who email me saying they cannot pay a deposit for what ever reason and they assure me of turning up, I accept their word and only 1 has arrived so thats my reasoning.

And of course when you forward a deposit then you know you have the room on arrival.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

Please explain, did you pm me re a booking, sorry if I missed it, or forgot, maybe you can remind me of it.

I have paypal which has worked well for many years, sometimes guys have pals in Pattaya who can pop in with a deposit, western union is too expensive, as I believe bank transfers area also,  I don't have the attitude it is my way of the highway, please advise me of a better method than paypal .

I can only guarantee a booking with a deposit, that came from when I did not take deposits having too many book on a whim only to not turn up and anyone who is busy particularly over high season cannot afford to have that.

My theory is that if someone is willing to pay a small deposit then they intend to turn up, in the past year I have had probably 6 guys who email me saying they cannot pay a deposit for what ever reason and they assure me of turning up, I accept their word and only 1 has arrived so thats my reasoning.

And of course when you forward a deposit then you know you have the room on arrival.

I think we are discussing different things:)

I never sent you a PM, I made a post where I asked for an alternative to PayPal because the booking was for a friend of mine and not myself. I found it to be to much "hazzle" to enter my details and send you a email about the name of your guest etc. or open an new account with my friends name and my credit card details. I just wanted to book and pay for a room. 

Let me explain further:

What i wanted to do was not to book a room without a deposit. I fully understand your side of you needing a deposit because of "no-shows". I wanted to enter my credit card details somewhere and pay for my friends stay. A deposit or the full amount would have been the same for me. It was all about the easiness of getting the booking trough.

Your theory about people willing to pay a deposit gonna show up is correct, I fully agree. Still tough I would offer a different payment gateway where you not have to become a customer on a 3. part site because you want to book a hotel-night somewhere. Only because its more easy for your guest and why give Paypal your customers and even make you pay for it?

You just enter the name of the guest. Enter credit card details. Push "pay" and get a booking confirmation in your email. Easy, fast and secure! 

I would also not ask for a deposit, I would charge them everything from 50% up to full payment for the length of their stay and only return 100% of the prepaid money if cancellation is made minimum 1 week prior to the arrival of the guest. ( So you get a chance to re-sell the room). For later cancellations I would keep payment for 1 night or even more depending on when the cancellation is made and return the rest.

There are 100s of eCommerce payment gateway companies out there. Some of them can deliver all from a fully website with an integrated payment gateway or only offer you parts of it. Whatever you need.

My tip for you is to contact your bank and see what they can do for you.

Here is what Bangkok Bank has to offer: http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/BUSINESSBANKING/SMES/MERCHANTSERVICES/Pages/InternetPaymentGateway.aspx

Google "ecommerce payment gateway for thailand" and see if you find anything that fits you.

I wish you great success in your future business, I really mean that! Even without knowing you.

Cheers!

I found it to be to much "hazzle" to enter my details and send you a email about the name of your guest etc.

Too much hassle to say 'joe blogs had paid the deposit for john does stay' in an email?

If you copy and paste the above(in quotations) and change the names to yourself and your friend it should be all good.

Bill

Too much hassle to say 'joe blogs had paid the deposit for john does stay' in an email?

If you copy and paste the above(in quotations) and change the names to yourself and your friend it should be all good.

Bill

I can be really lazy sometimes... :hello10:

Still I would have to become a member on a 3. part site to do it, or in my matter use an alternative that doesn't fits my wishes.

It really is quite bizarre.

I have never actually encountered a business owner who does not understand customer service or how to handle very basic customer feedback or complaints effectively.

For the vast and overwhelming majority of business owners / managers it is as simple as breathing.

At first I thought Dave was just having a 'bad day' then got his 'nose out of joint' and was intent on going 'down with the ship' but it is obvious that Dave genuinely has no concept of customer service or how to properly and professionally handle customer feedback and complaints.

More importantly how professional handling of customer feedback and complaints strengthens your product brand, builds brand confidence and loyalty and entices new customers to your door. It really is a crucial tool in brand awareness and positive marketing AND it is the most inexpensive marketing tool a business owner has.

If your approach to customer feedback and complaints is:

"Okay let me at these pricks I will show them who is 'top dog' and how wrong they are and how good a bloke I am. Get ready for a 'bun fight' " then it's very simple. You lose. You will win the 'bun fight' but every time you do it your business takes an unnecessary hit.

The list of customer feedback and complaints is so trivial:

1. With all the various buildings  I found selecting a room confusing.

2. AUD - GBP - THB deposit exchange rate made a 600 THB room into a 644 THB room

3. PayPal deposit discloses private address to the vendor.

4. Faulty street level entry door compromises the security and safety of the entire building

5. Personal privacy is important to me and old Trev watching everything guests do gives me the creeps particularly when he does not dress or introduce himself.

6. The never ending gauntlet of the massage Hello girls becomes a little annoying after the 15th pass

7. I prefer Soi Lengkee, Soi Diana, Soi Buakhao over Soi Chaiyapoon in respect of services being closer.

8. Staff customer service average.

9. Soi Chiayapoon road severely damaged and dusty.

10. Candles left in a room that makes it smell like a rat died.

11. BM 'Vincent' felt you rudely avoided him and didn't want to handle his issue with his room.

12. BM 'utopi' wanted another deposit payment option.

.13. After sales service catastrophic!!!! ALL customer feedback / complaints raised totally dismissed.

Most of the above should not even be elevated to an owner it should all be easily handled by junior staff.

I don't personally know him but TerryLee from Babydolls is probably the best operator on Forums when it comes to dealing with customer feedback or complaints. He and his team just 'nails' it very time. He could quickly walk you through the list and show you how to address the issues and how to make them a positive marketing tool for your business. Or just watch how he and his team deal with customer feedback and complaints.

If I was your opposition I would be immediately launching a 'Customer Feedback' card in every room and actively seek ALL customer feedback on Forums. I would clearly demonstrate how I effectively and professionally handle customer feedback and complaints. I would exploit the weakness in your business to my financial advantage. I would also totally review ALL my business procedures and endeavour to remove from my business ANY 'stumbling block' highlighted by your customer feedback and complaints. A PM would have gone through to EVERY BM'er you just barred offering my hotel / Guesthouse services highlighting how my customer service focus is the key to our success. I'd probably come over and give you a big hug.

Bill is well meaning but don't use his enthusiasm to validate continuing to mishandle customer feedback and complaints.

I think I am pretty familiar with the price structure of Guesthouse accommodation in Patts. My view is your room prices are significantly below market value. Above, poorly run Thai accommodation but below reasonably run Falang Guesthouse pricing. Looking at Room 1C I would consider that VERY good value at 800 THB low season and 1000 THB high season. Good for the consumer bad for you and your co-owners ROI. The question is, why are your rooms so undervalued on the market?

Dave you don't have to bar previous customers or potential new customers the moment you get into a 'bun fight' they are long gone and booking with your competitors. You have so many rooms to book you simply cannot afford to chase customers away.

Wow,  this thread needs a "Beating a Dead Horse" meme graphic right now.   It was an interesting read the first couple pages but now its out of hand.   All parties involved are looking worse by continuing to post in this thread.

Thank you for your feedback Lasam56

No problem

deadhorse.jpg

Easy done.

hahahaha......poor horse

Shit sorry kiwi I forgot the caption

" No actual horses or storm-troupers were injured or harmed during the course of this photo shoot"

My apologies.

Shit sorry kiwi I forgot the caption

" No actual horses or storm-troupers were injured or harmed during the course of this photo shoot"

My apologies.

No such disclaimer for board members whose senses may be detrimentally affected by over reading this thread.  If pain persists see a doctor.

No such disclaimer for board members whose senses may be detrimentally affected by over reading this thread.  If pain persists see a doctor.

Point taken Electoff and again thank you for your involvement and contribution to this thread.

All viewpoints are gratefully respected and welcomed.

I sincerely apologise that this thread has descended into a ramshackle dog's breakfast. However, at present I think it teeters on the cusp of a 'nail biting' conclusion.

I agree "if pain persists seek the advice of a medical professional".

Very sound advice.

• 1 year later...

You provided a lot of valuable information for everyone - Thanks

Archived