IGNORED

Canterbury Tales Guest House - Room 1C -Review

up2u2

HI Up2u2

Very detailed report and I pick up on your points, one point is when you paid a deposit should only have been 20GBP for upto one week booking so not sure why you paid 50GBP and of course I receive the paypal rate not the cash shop accross the road so hence the slightly lower exchange.

As for the booking we have 25 rooms to choose from depending on availability and various types/styles and request 20GBP for upto a week booking then 40GBP for upto a month and 50GBP for a month and more.

We have had to adopt the deposit system and have had for yrs otherwise human nature taught us guys sometimes just dont turn up, this system guarantees the room when you arrive.

As for the TV being too high is a bit like, how do you like your eggs, and is about as comfortable viewing when lying on the bed, we try our best and have been running since 2005 and do get a lot of repeat custom and I have made many friends along the way as well as a few foes so must be doing something right.

Thanks for the review.

Cheers Dave 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have stayed in 3C and 4C and can honestly say that they are great value.

I love the location of the Soi, I love having breakfast at the cafe every morning and Daveo is a great bloke who will go out of his way to sort any troubles you may have.

It isn't the Hilton, and has never pretended to be, but whilst out there I just want a room to sleep in and be able to bring company back to free of charge, this makes CT perfect for me and the added bonus of a balcony to sit and smoke on is great!

Bill

Its refreshing to see an unbiased ( not a friend of the owner) report and also a fair and humble response ( not an angry one) from the owner, Dave ( Canterbury Tales) has always stated his rooms are (guest house) rooms NOT hotel or apartments ( apart from the apartments he owns in Niran court) unlike most who claim to offer "hotel or apartments " when clearly they are rooms in a converted shophouse mostly above a noisy bar.

At my last count he/ His wife has about 28 rooms and he is fully booked not a lot more to say on the subject IMO.

However if you like a little more comfort and are prepared to pay a little more check out my apartments;

Quality serviced apartments for rent direct from the owner 1,000tb per day all in:

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

Its refreshing to see an unbiased ( not a friend of the owner) report and also a fair and humble response ( not an angry one) from the owner, Dave ( Canterbury Tales) has always stated his rooms are (guest house) rooms NOT hotel or apartments ( apart from the apartments he owns in Niran court) unlike most who claim to offer "hotel or apartments " when clearly they are rooms in a converted shophouse mostly above a noisy bar.

At my last count he/ His wife has about 28 rooms and he is fully booked not a lot more to say on the subject IMO.

However if you like a little more comfort and are prepared to pay a little more check out my apartments;

Quality serviced apartments for rent direct from the owner 1,000tb per day all in:

JDM

Lol your apartments are miles away from the action

If some one is looking to stay in Canterbury tales

Not likely to want to stay in your apartments

Just saying

Lol your apartments are miles away from the action

If some one is looking to stay in Canterbury tales

Not likely to want to stay in your apartments

Just saying

Each to his own my friend however ( if your "action is WS" then my apartments are a lot closer).

It may be you have misunderstood my post I have endorsed and I agree Ct is a good location and I am not criticizing  it  or any of the accommodations in down town Pattaya Just stating it as it is IMO.

I see on forums (not necessarily this one) stating rooms for rent "hotel Rooms" that are a room in a converted shophouse some with no window, no lift, no parking, no pool and access via the bar. mate this is NOT a hotel room it is a guest house.

I have stayed in CT many times when visiting Pattaya and will do so in the future it is cheaper than paying taxi home ( I live about 45 mins drive  from pattaya and do not drive when drinking)

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

This review is very good imo. Wish for more like this, spesially like the video. Thanks for taking the effort of making it.

I have never stayed there, prefer places with a pool, but 600bath for a big clean room like that with kitchen is not a bad price. Maybe I have to try a guesthouse couple of days when I come in november.

This review is very good imo. Wish for more like this, spesially like the video. Thanks for taking the effort of making it.

I have never stayed there, prefer places with a pool, but 600bath for a big clean room like that with kitchen is not a bad price. Maybe I have to try a guesthouse couple of days when I come in november.

Many guesthouses have benefitted since the exchange rate decline and many people who tried to save a little baht and realised guesthouses were often much cheaper for bigger rooms and better atmosphere.

We also have 24 other rooms to choose from from budget minded to very large etc.

This is one of the reasons that I always come back to Dave no matter what. The location of the Guesthouse is in the middle of action and the food that his staff cooks is delicious

Many guesthouses have benefitted since the exchange rate decline and many people who tried to save a little baht and realised guesthouses were often much cheaper for bigger rooms and better atmosphere.

We also have 24 other rooms to choose from from budget minded to very large etc.

I will drop in and try your famouse breakfast and food when I come in November :)

Ooh yummy mouse for breakfast. How is it cooked?

Grilled, BBQ'd, poached, stir fry?

• 3 weeks later...

Had to check my notes it was 20 pounds deposit.

Never dealt with pounds in my life.

So 20 pounds deposit equalled $AUD34.18 x 29.05 (992.93 baht) + 940 baht on arrival

= 644 baht per night

Still good value at that price.

What a fantastic review - makes me wish I reviewed the hotels on my latest trip but I took zero pics of the rooms.

Next time I plan on doing a hotel report.

• 6 months later...

I want to make a booking for a friend of mine for 2 nights in May at this guesthouse. On their website there is only this fakked up paypal crap option. Any easier way to do the booking? 

Maybe the owner could send me an PM?

Cheers!

I don't mind PayPal. It is a pretty secure CC payment system.

The way CT has it set up gives them the exchange rate advantage.

Prices are in Baht, paying in your currency against the English Pound then they get to 'low ball' the British Pound exchange rate on check in.

Unless the Pound plummets against the Baht you lose.

Most will take a small hit on the lower exchange rate and PP fees which isn't a big deal but once you add another currency you tend to lose twice.

It works this way, where you loose is because of the paypal exchange rate, you pay 20GBP, I loose  the commission's

Total amount:

£20.00 GBP
Fee amount:
-£1.08 GBP
Net amount:
£18.92 GBP

I receive 18.92, I accept that loss because if someone pays a deposit I know they intend to turn up, I will also honour the deposit for a year if they have to cancel as long as I get some notice.

I then take the 20GBP, not the 18.82 off the guests bill at the rate paypal give me for 20GBP which varies but is always lower than the cash exchange rate in Pattaya, Paypal don't charge for many services but make their money by giving a lower rate, same as any bank.

I have been using this system for years and works very well, a guest only loses a few baht not a lot if you work it out, not sure how the room came out at 644baht as the op only paid 20GBP deposit so lost about 24baht the rest of the booking was paid in cash per night.

I don't get an exchange rate advantage I get the paypal rate.

I want to make a booking for a friend of mine for 2 nights in May at this guesthouse. On their website there is only this fakked up paypal crap option. Any easier way to do the booking? 

Cheers!

I have sent you a PM, but its straight forward but if you cannot pay a deposit with a fekked up crap paypal option or someone can pop in and do it I cannot save the room.

It works this way, where you loose is because of the paypal exchange rate, you pay 20GBP, I loose  the commission's

Total amount:

£20.00 GBP

Fee amount:

-£1.08 GBP

Net amount:

£18.92 GBP

I receive 18.92, I accept that loss because if someone pays a deposit I know they intend to turn up, I will also honour the deposit for a year if they have to cancel as long as I get some notice.

I then take the 20GBP, not the 18.82 off the guests bill at the rate paypal give me for 20GBP which varies but is always lower than the cash exchange rate in Pattaya, Paypal don't charge for many services but make their money by giving a lower rate, same as any bank.

I have been using this system for years and works very well, a guest only loses a few baht not a lot if you work it out, not sure how the room came out at 644baht as the op only paid 20GBP deposit so lost about 24baht the rest of the booking was paid in cash per night.

I don't get an exchange rate advantage I get the paypal rate.

As long as it works for you that's the important thing Dave.

Cheers!

Hi Utopia I will get a Apartment review up this weekend. Right on Soi Diana in the middle of the action without the noise. FANTASTIC value at 700 baht per night and to be honest the VERY best, friendly service I had received from a Thai run business.

I will PM the link to you when I have it up.

Good to see you still posting up2u2.

Your hotel reviews are the best & most detailed I've seen.

Wish I could give you a list of places to try out & review before I book them :)

I think you misunderstood Dave, his not objecting to the commission or paypal as a concept, its just that it takes a bit of an effort to actually open a paypal account - and we lazy bums want to make our booking as simple as possible without having to put any work into it. Just press a button and put in your visa card and get the room. Thats all :)

Nice room ..... Looks very nice and comfy , I think Dave , should name it " Penthouse Room " and charge more for it ....

As long as it works for you that's the important thing Dave.

It works both ways round and is fair, you pay a deposit for example of 20GBP and receive the correct paypal rate, I lose the 1.08 pounds Paypal commission, not sure of your reckoning.

First you said you paid 40GBP deposit when you paid 20GBP then you said the room was 644 baht ? 

It's all good Dave it's your business how you run it is totally up to you.

If customers cannot fit in with your terms and conditions and the way you want to run things f@$k em.

I think my post was totally misunderstood. 

I have a problem with Paypal...not Canterbury.

Problem with Paypal is:

I make a deposit for a different person then myself. Paypal forces me to open an account with this persons name but with my credit card details (and that's never good). I also think paypal would block my existing account for security reasons. (Also not good)

You guys don't see the hazzle here?

With a different solution I believe this could lead to more bookings trough Canterburys website. Canterbury has a good rep for the budget traveler and most likely is a very good place to stay when in Pattaya. I want to come with an friendly suggestion to the owner of Canterbury to look around for a different " payment gateway". You can still take your deposit but it would make it more "user friendly" for your guests.

But what do I know about business?  :WinkGrin1: 

Cheers

I think my post was totally misunderstood. 

I have a problem with Paypal...not Canterbury.

Problem with Paypal is:

I make a deposit for a different person then myself. Paypal forces me to open an account with this persons name but with my credit card details (and that's never good). I also think paypal would block my existing account for security reasons. (Also not good)

You guys don't see the hazzle here?

With a different solution I believe this could lead to more bookings trough Canterburys website. Canterbury has a good rep for the budget traveler and most likely is a very good place to stay when in Pattaya. I want to come with an friendly suggestion to the owner of Canterbury to look around for a different " payment gateway". You can still take your deposit but it would make it more "user friendly" for your guests.

But what do I know about business?  :WinkGrin1: 

Cheers

I understand perfectly utopi. I wanted to book with I-Rover once and it required payment through some unheard of UK based PayPal system. Signing up and doing all that crap was more than it was worth to make a booking. Fortunately I have had a PayPal account for some time and I am very familiar with it.

Just one other thing when making your deposit through PayPal Dave has it set so it captures ALL your personal information. So have a PO Box and a secondary email address if you don't want this info transferred. I am sure it was set tat way.

Dave has made his position clear. 'Cant be bothered using PayPal bugger off somewhere else'. It is his choice. It's his business and runs it the way he wants.

Archived