IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

3 hours ago, madmike said:

I liked Asiana.  Their 380s were nice to fly on.

I think that they tended to have decent availability.

Hopefully Korean goes back to being a transfer partner of someone again. They were Chase before. Chase, Citi, AMEX, Cap One.....anything would help! 555

• Like 2

I'm a little tempted by the 60% bonus on purchase of Alaska miles (gotta buy 40,000, although I think I get 50% bonus on a purchase of 20,000-39,999 miles).

Downsides are that my Alaska account is pretty solid right now and -- the bigger one -- I am concerned of an impending major devaluation.

Posting this here as it is kinda a "miles and points" issue - 

Good (10%) to great (40%) discounts on Amazon purchases if you use 1 AMEX MR point:

https://onemileatatime.com/deals/amazon-discount-amex-points/

Like the blogger, I only got the 10% discount (capped at $10), but I immediately used it to buy a $100 Albertson's gift card for $89.99 + 1 AMEX MR.

It effectively knocks 10% off of my next $100 in grocery purchases.

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I'm a little tempted by the 60% bonus on purchase of Alaska miles (gotta buy 40,000, although I think I get 50% bonus on a purchase of 20,000-39,999 miles).

Downsides are that my Alaska account is pretty solid right now and -- the bigger one -- I am concerned of an impending major devaluation.

Yes they already said major devaluation coming.  Plus seems like lack of any availability lately!   😠 😡 

23 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Yes they already said major devaluation coming.  Plus seems like lack of any availability lately!   😠 😡 

I'm inclined to agree. I got the Alaska card SUB and have been trying to figure out how to use the miles. Every time I see an itinerary via Tokyo, going into the details shows that they're charging me business class in points to get from DC to the west coast, then economy from there onward. They recently announced that you can book Cathay on points through the Alaska site now, so I'll re-run some searches and see if I can tentatively plan out a trip for next summer / fall, and just do cash economy for this winter's trip.

I'm seeing Amex member specials coming up which will hopefully involve Qatar, so worst case I'm hoping to grab an economy ticket with something like a "spend $1k, get $200 back" deal on the Amex plat.

28 minutes ago, jmukh said:

I'm inclined to agree. I got the Alaska card SUB and have been trying to figure out how to use the miles. Every time I see an itinerary via Tokyo, going into the details shows that they're charging me business class in points to get from DC to the west coast, then economy from there onward. They recently announced that you can book Cathay on points through the Alaska site now, so I'll re-run some searches and see if I can tentatively plan out a trip for next summer / fall, and just do cash economy for this winter's trip.

I'm seeing Amex member specials coming up which will hopefully involve Qatar, so worst case I'm hoping to grab an economy ticket with something like a "spend $1k, get $200 back" deal on the Amex plat.

I finally cracked their code on that - if it shows a little "seat icon," then it is a Mixed Cabin itinerary. Those almost ALWAYS screw you on the long haul leg.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Yeah - they claim they are making their system "easier" on December 1.

Translation: kiss the Cathay and JAL first class options for 70k and 75k goodbye! I never snagged JAL first, but I did get Cathay first a few times.

I also think they are going to bump the Cathay 50k biz class award seating to at least the 65k required on JAL.

I'm at 140k Alaska miles. The 60% bonus would cost me $1,182.50 (all in) and would bump me to just short of 205,000 miles.

Sometimes I look at devaluations a little differently. Since every airline is doing them, it's not like I'm going to be able to find fantastic deals elsewhere. Might as well just suck it up and pay the extra miles.

15 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Yeah - they claim they are making their system "easier" on December 1.

Translation: kiss the Cathay and JAL first class options for 70k and 75k goodbye! I never snagged JAL first, but I did get Cathay first a few times.

I also think they are going to bump the Cathay 50k biz class award seating to at least the 65k required on JAL.

I'm at 140k Alaska miles. The 60% bonus would cost me $1,182.50 (all in) and would bump me to just short of 205,000 miles.

Sometimes I look at devaluations a little differently. Since every airline is doing them, it's not like I'm going to be able to find fantastic deals elsewhere. Might as well just suck it up and pay the extra miles.

Agree, but think they will be consistent with AA and charge 70K miles (hoping 65K though).

I'm doing opposite of you.  Trying to burn as much Airlines miles as possible.   Still stacking Chase and CapOne points though.

Still trying to burn 300,000 AA

55K Alaska

and 145K United.    which has been such a mistake on my part.   can't find anything under 180K and that's even mixed cabin!!!     all those star alliance carriers and not 1 business class seat at "normal" rate!!    fuck off united miles.   

26 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Agree, but think they will be consistent with AA and charge 70K miles (hoping 65K though).

I'm doing opposite of you.  Trying to burn as much Airlines miles as possible.   Still stacking Chase and CapOne points though.

Still trying to burn 300,000 AA

55K Alaska

and 145K United.    which has been such a mistake on my part.   can't find anything under 180K and that's even mixed cabin!!!     all those star alliance carriers and not 1 business class seat at "normal" rate!!    fuck off united miles.   

I am SO fucked re United - booked the OW using EVA referenced above for later this month, but that trip is on life support (and I'm about to pull the plug). Once I cancel that flight, the 99,000 miles will go back into my United account, taking me just over 100k.....about 80k short of just about everything these days (except Ethiopian!).

If/when I cancel that trip, in addition to the 99,000 United miles, I'll also be dropping 75,000 back into EVA (with an expiration date approaching), 95,000 back into Singapore, and 70,000 back into my AA account.

Granted, even if the trip comes off, 2 of those bookings will be cancelled and the miles returned.

What bugs me more than that is the fact that I have FOUR annual free nights expiring by year-end, and canceling that trip will make it difficult to use them.

Oddly enough, the prospect of missing my first Thanksgiving trip since 2010 (setting aside the lockdown of 2020) isn't weighing near as heavily on my mind as how I will find a way to use those free night certificates! 555

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I am SO fucked re United - booked the OW using EVA referenced above for later this month, but that trip is on life support (and I'm about to pull the plug). Once I cancel that flight, the 99,000 miles will go back into my United account, taking me just over 100k.....about 80k short of just about everything these days (except Ethiopian!).

If/when I cancel that trip, in addition to the 99,000 United miles, I'll also be dropping 75,000 back into EVA (with an expiration date approaching), 95,000 back into Singapore, and 70,000 back into my AA account.

Granted, even if the trip comes off, 2 of those bookings will be cancelled and the miles returned.

What bugs me more than that is the fact that I have FOUR annual free nights expiring by year-end, and canceling that trip will make it difficult to use them.

Oddly enough, the prospect of missing my first Thanksgiving trip since 2010 (setting aside the lockdown of 2020) isn't weighing near as heavily on my mind as how I will find a way to use those free night certificates! 555

I thought I read that EVA was extending miles through March 2023.   Also, I believe you can make a purchase through their EVA Mileage Mall to keep miles from expiring.

Yes using your free nights in the US just to "burn" them sounds terrible ..   sucks that you may cancel Nov trip was looking forward to catching up.

Credit Card Update

Last month I decided to stop waiting for a great credit card offer, so I went to my chase bank and signed up for a Chase Sapphire Preffered with 60K welcome points and Chase waived the $95 annual fee.

So this month, I knew I needed a Marriott Card.  I needed their 15 elite nights to ensure I hit Platinum for 2023.  (currently Titanium, but won't get 75 nights).    For Marriott fans Platinum is worth  it in SE Asia.  Great hotel options but my favorite benefit is the breakfast buffets which usually runs about  $25 plus USD per person and usually top notch.

Anyway, Chase website didn't have any special deals but the Marriott App had an interesting offer.  Bonvoy Boundless card with 75k points AND a $300 egift card that can be used for rooms etc, plus a free night award (35k).  with the $95 fee

The $300 gift card is worth more than the 25K point difference. (Chase offering 100k on site, this offer was $75k). so I'm plus $150

This will put my Marriott balance back over 800K points.

I'm looking to take an extended time off work next year and plan to travel SE Asia so these 800K points will net me a few months of hotel stays with the 5th night free benefit of booking with points.  (oh plus free breakfast buffets) 555.

SE Asia has amazing steals for some hotels with points.  For example end of Aug 2022, i stayed at Sheraton Koh Samui for 13k points a night..

long story short. that's why I wasted a 5/24 on a Marriott card.  

The last vid is from Renaissance Koh Samui.  stayed their final nights after koh phangan and stayed in my favorite room.  Beach Front Villa with private pool 

the welcome back home balloons and sign was such a nice touch 

20220828_101733.jpg

20220831_123908.jpg

Edited by HimBadMan

7 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

the bigger one -- I am concerned of an impending major devaluation.

Devaluations are the curse of Frequent Flyer credit card churners. I don't buy miles speculatively, only if the cheaper price is timed with a pending trip I want to book.

I've gotten some great deals with American Airline miles. Alaska has some sweet spots, but I've never acquired any of their miles.

Edited by Billy Baht

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

2 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

Credit Card Update

Last month I decided to stop waiting for a great credit card offer, so I went to my chase bank and signed up for a Chase Sapphire Preffered with 60K welcome points and Chase waived the $95 annual fee.

So this month, I knew I needed a Marriott Card.  I needed their 15 elite nights to ensure I hit Platinum for 2023.  (currently Titanium, but won't get 75 nights).    For Marriott fans Platinum is worth  it in SE Asia.  Great hotel options but my favorite benefit is the breakfast buffets which usually runs about  $25 plus USD per person and usually top notch.

Anyway, Chase website didn't have any special deals but the Marriott App had an interesting offer.  Bonvoy Boundless card with 75k points AND a $300 egift card that can be used for rooms etc, plus a free night award (35k).  with the $95 fee

The $300 gift card is worth more than the 25K point difference. (Chase offering 100k on site, this offer was $75k). so I'm plus $150

This will put my Marriott balance back over 800K points.

I'm looking to take an extended time off work next year and plan to travel SE Asia so these 800K points will net me a few months of hotel stays with the 5th night free benefit of booking with points.  (oh plus free breakfast buffets) 555.

SE Asia has amazing steals for some hotels with points.  For example end of Aug 2022, i stayed at Sheraton Koh Samui for 13k points a night..

long story short. that's why I wasted a 5/24 on a Marriott card.  

The last vid is from Renaissance Koh Samui.  stayed their final nights after koh phangan and stayed in my favorite room.  Beach Front Villa with private pool 

the welcome back home balloons and sign was such a nice touch 

20220828_101733.jpg

20220831_123908.jpg

I'm still waiting for this winter to (hopefully) reap the benefits of Marriott status in SE Asia; it's been lukewarm in Colombia, utterly worthless in the US and in Peru. At Platinum now, and since my Amex card just got bumped to 25 elite night credits, I'm within hitting distance of Titanium if I can squeeze in a few Marriott stays in November or December. How rewarding that turns out to be in Bangkok, Pattaya (or possibly Koh Samui, based on your photo above, if I can find a girl who would be fun for a side trip) will determine how motivated I am to keep the card and status in future years. 

I started spending down my points after the devaluations were announced, though I have (ironically) gotten better value as a result. Probably down to ~60k points now and a couple of free night certs. But I'm happy to keep buying cash rooms, since Thailand is an absolute steal on hotel room prices, if the status is paying off.

After more than a week of uncertainty, American got me sorted and it’s wheels up in a couple of weeks if there are no more changes. It’s not the perfect flight itinerary, but it is acceptable. My feeling is that in the current environment, any business class award you can get at the lower award level regardless of program miles used is a good one. 70K AA miles each way between my home airport and BKK works for me.

I plan to be in Pattaya November 21-29 at a minimum. I’m keeping the option to arrive a few days earlier and/or extend my stay open. Prior to that I’ll be running around Bangkok and northern Thailand. Hope to meet up with whoever here is in town around that time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bgtp said:

After more than a week of uncertainty, American got me sorted and it’s wheels up in a couple of weeks if there are no more changes. It’s not the perfect flight itinerary, but it is acceptable. My feeling is that in the current environment, any business class award you can get at the lower award level regardless of program miles used is a good one. 70K AA miles each way between my home airport and BKK works for me.

I plan to be in Pattaya November 21-29 at a minimum. I’m keeping the option to arrive a few days earlier and/or extend my stay open. Prior to that I’ll be running around Bangkok and northern Thailand. Hope to meet up with whoever here is in town around that time.

Great to here.  I arrive morning of Nov 20th.  (leave Nov 18th on Cathay)  plan to spend the 1st day and night on BKK and stay in pattaya Nov 21 to 24. before I fly out to phnom Phen for the weekend.      Back in thailand Nov 27th. most likely Pattaya.   so ill be around (I think).

PS;   I still do not have a flight home for Dec 4th can find zero availability.  been checking AA. Alaska and United everyday for 3 plus months.   worst case I'll obviously pay.  but really need to burn miles.

Also glad your itinerary worked out.

to add. @Luv2Phuket did you see those blog posts about automatic IHG Diamond status yesterday?   I enrolled and was Diamond in the matter of seconds, valid until end of 2022.    Saw you may have a few IHG stays coming up..

of course IHG may claim it was an error and reverse course.   but maybe they won't.. 

55 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

to add. @Luv2Phuket did you see those blog posts about automatic IHG Diamond status yesterday?   I enrolled and was Diamond in the matter of seconds, valid until end of 2022.    Saw you may have a few IHG stays coming up..

of course IHG may claim it was an error and reverse course.   but maybe they won't.. 

CRAP! I didn't check the blogs yesterday -- I specifically thought about doing it, but I got distracted.

When I tried just now, it said the offer code was invalid.

Damn....you snooze, you lose.

Congrats on getting in before it closed!

Assuming my (shortened) November trip comes off, I will have 5 nights at IHG properties.

My Platinum status with them doesn't get me shit, but I pay for Ambassador status, when gets me upgrades (but not breakfast) at the InterContinental on paid stays. In Pattaya, they generally let me stay in the same upgraded room if I have a linked reservation on points/free night certs - usually charge me around 2000 baht per night, but that's far less than the difference in price. They couldn't get me in the same upgraded room my entire stay next month (was originally booked for 9 nights there), so I had to shorten my stay there (to 4 nights) and cash out some Hilton points for the other 5 nights.

Sad state of affairs, boys, but I actually purchased, like cash, a RT business class trip for Q1 next year. I didn't want to chance it, and will pursue my Q3 trip in points. Under $4k though for JAL biz. Definitely a gut punch, but could have been worse I suppose. Amex had a good plat discount during their current member days thing. Saved like $1,900 on it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bgtp said:

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

Great to here.  I arrive morning of Nov 20th.  (leave Nov 18th on Cathay)  plan to spend the 1st day and night on BKK and stay in pattaya Nov 21 to 24. before I fly out to phnom Phen for the weekend.      Back in thailand Nov 27th. most likely Pattaya.   so ill be around (I think).

PS;   I still do not have a flight home for Dec 4th can find zero availability.  been checking AA. Alaska and United everyday for 3 plus months.   worst case I'll obviously pay.  but really need to burn miles.

Also glad your itinerary worked out.

Still on the fence, but hoping to do my November trip. 

On the lookout for a last minute biz class award ticket, but currently booked on JAL PE (for $$$) going over. Their PE looks "best in class" with 42" pitch, but, fuck me, JAL customer service sucks ass. I was on hold for an hour and a half yesterday before hanging up. Having the same issues others have noted, as my JAL confirmation code on the AA reservation does not work on their website. AA Rep said she got me seat assignments and my itinerary shows seat assignments (aisle seat in center section of 2-3-2 layout), but who the fuck knows if it worked?

I have 2 separate itineraries coming back on the 29th (Singapore gets me into LAX too late to make a connection, so I expect to cancel it, but holding in case EVA fucks me).

Current schedule is BKK Nov. 15 (late night arrival) to 19, then Pattaya the 20th to the 29th. 

Sounds like we may all be there between the 21st and 24th - if so, let's do a "miles and points" meet-up.

FWIW, I REALLY need to burn miles! COVID, cancellations of multiple itineraries (August trip; dropped multiple flights going in for November b/c too early) and a recent 80,000 Citi TY bonus have my miles accounts closing in on all time highs. I'm sitting on over 750k AA miles, so those 110k OW AA first class itineraries are VERY appealing (saw a few, but they disappeared when I clicked through).

Slightly off topic. I’m reading these posts right now sitting in the doctor’s office waiting room to get my flu shot and ‘One Night in Bangkok’ came on their sound system bringing an apropos smile to my face.

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Slightly off topic. I’m reading these posts right now sitting in the doctor’s office waiting room to get my flu shot and ‘One Night in Bangkok’ came on their sound system bringing an apropos smile to my face.

Damn, bro - we think WAY too much alike - I'm getting my flu shot and a COVID booster at 4:30 today! 

I'll request that they play "One Night in Bangkok" at the CVS! 555

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

FWIW, I REALLY need to burn miles! COVID, cancellations of multiple itineraries (August trip; dropped multiple flights going in for November b/c too early) and a recent 80,000 Citi TY bonus have my miles accounts closing in on all time highs. 

Curiosity (and a little OCD!) got the best of me, so I just updated the totals on all of my accounts.

Since my mid-March update, my total balances have increased over 525,000, and that will go up to 620,000 when I cancel the Singapore return (95,000 miles) that I do not anticipate using at the end of November.

Total miles/points balances are now at just shy of 2.5 million, and that Singapore refund will push me over 2.5. Way too much, but, just as I sometimes have more money than sense, I got more miles/points than time.

Some accounts dropped, but others had big jumps, especially AA, since I use my Barclay"s Aviator for much of my monthly spend to make sure I get Platinum status (already locked in, now wondering if I might make Platinum Pro by the end of February).

My "transferrable programs" (Chase UR, AMEX MR, Citi TY) went up overall, but that was due to the big increase in TY points (now over 190,000). AMEX MR are depressingly low (around 2,750), and Chase balance is weak (around 19,500). Trying to shift some spend to my Sapphire card, but daily spend takes FOREVER to build - we all know that bonuses are the way to go, and I am on the sidelines with Chase for a little while longer.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

On the lookout for a last minute biz class award ticket, but currently booked on JAL PE (for $$$) going over. Their PE looks "best in class" with 42" pitch, but, fuck me, JAL customer service sucks ass. I was on hold for an hour and a half yesterday before hanging up. Having the same issues others have noted, as my JAL confirmation code on the AA reservation does not work on their website. AA Rep said she got me seat assignments and my itinerary shows seat assignments (aisle seat in center section of 2-3-2 layout), but who the fuck knows if it worked?

Current schedule is BKK Nov. 15 (late night arrival) to 19, then Pattaya the 20th to the 29th. 

Sounds like we may all be there between the 21st and 24th - if so, let's do a "miles and points" meet-up.

My JAL codes I got from American work fine. One thing you could do is go to the JAL website and start to make a booking for the flights you’re on. This will let you look at the seat maps for those flights. If your seat is still open, something’s wrong. If it’s taken, you probably, but not definitely, are OK. I always use those maps when asking AA to book my seat on JAL. The seat I pick always changes from open to taken on the JAL site and I’ve not had any issues.

A meet-up sounds great!

1 hour ago, bgtp said:

My JAL codes I got from American work fine. One thing you could do is go to the JAL website and start to make a booking for the flights you’re on. This will let you look at the seat maps for those flights. If your seat is still open, something’s wrong. If it’s taken, you probably, but not definitely, are OK. I always use those maps when asking AA to book my seat on JAL. The seat I pick always changes from open to taken on the JAL site and I’ve not had any issues.

A meet-up sounds great!

Thanks for the suggestion! I did exactly that and both of the seats AA picked for me show as taken. Boht have an open middle seat next to them, which is promising.

It's also a codeshare flight paid and booked through AA (with AA flight numbers), so that gives me a little more confidence.

Brilliant idea to use that when asking AA to book the seats, because it shows what is taken and what seats may have an empty one next to them. I just used SeatGuru.

5 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Still on the fence, but hoping to do my November trip. 

I have 2 separate itineraries coming back on the 29th (Singapore gets me into LAX too late to make a connection, so I expect to cancel it, but holding in case EVA fucks me).

FWIW, I REALLY need to burn miles! COVID, cancellations of multiple itineraries (August trip; dropped multiple flights going in for November b/c too early) and a recent 80,000 Citi TY bonus have my miles accounts closing in on all time highs. I'm sitting on over 750k AA miles, so those 110k OW AA first class itineraries are VERY appealing (saw a few, but they disappeared when I clicked through).

Just in case you are not aware, the APEC meeting is taking place in Bkk on November 18th-19th with Putin, Kamala Harris, China's Xi(bit yet confirmed,but possible), Saudi's crown prince, Macron, and other leaders all supposed to attend, so I would at least expect traffic disruptions during your stay. In addition, November 16th-18th have been declared a public holiday in Bkk for this occasion creating a 5 day weekend. Hopefully the girls will not decide to go home for the very long weekend, but again, just an FYI...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2412293/putin-to-attend-apec-summit

• Like 2