IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

5 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Speaking of connections at LAX, I got another schedule change from AA for my upcoming trip. This one gives me 1:30 to connect at LAX on the way home. I do have Global Entry and I don’t check luggage. AA is at Terminals 4 and 5 and there are terminal connectors between Bradley-T4 and T4-T5. So maybe I’ll be OK. It’s all on a single ticket, so whatever will be, will be, not gonna worry about it.

I think the terminal connectors are after security, so they may not help much. Still, AA in Terminal 4 is the closest walk, as far as I can remember.

The fact that you are on a single itinerary is the best part.

Today has been my lucky day -- because of the schedule change, Alaska refunded my entire flight purchase, $139. Meanwhile, the Delta flight was a little less than $49, so I come out $90 ahead. Given the cheap cost, I was going to upgrade to Comfort Select for more leg room, then saw that a single seat exit row seat was available - it's a 2-3 layout, but the exit rows have no window seat, so my row is a single seat. I think it has no recline, but it's a one-hour flight. All I can about is leg room and personal space.

Delta AMEX gets me Delta lounge access, assuming I have time (with a 3-hour layover I should).

• Like 1

Still looking for decent biz airfare to BKK for my winter trip.  SIN is now avail for $3,600 originating from NYC. Not a great fare but quite decent. I would jump on that with both feet if were living nearby NYC.

Was looking at mid jan departure with a mid april return on google flights.

Anyone seen this:

AA has posted a note on my flight management page that my flight(s) have changed but everything is still the same. It's been posted on the page for about a week. It also pops up on the app. First leg IAH-LAX. Next leg LAX-HKG. 

1 hour ago, smithzac91 said:

Anyone seen this:

AA has posted a note on my flight management page that my flight(s) have changed but everything is still the same. It's been posted on the page for about a week. It also pops up on the app. First leg IAH-LAX. Next leg LAX-HKG. 

Same thing happened to me - baffled the shit outta me!

Check flight numbers and precise times - they may have changed by a few minutes.

2 hours ago, smithzac91 said:

Anyone seen this:

I may have posted this but just in case.  I flew AA from PHX to BKK via Sea and Narita.  Phx - Sea - Narita - BKK,  The return was the same route.

So while I'm in Thailand AA changes all my flights to:

BKK - Narita - HOUSTON - Sea

Note it does not get me back to PHX.   Good thing I paid attention.  I contacted them ans they after a bit of cajoling finally recognized they no longer had a complete round trip.  Oops.  They did let me choose my return flights and in fact booked flights that their system didn't want them to.    I chose flights with only a 1 hour in LAX to clear customs and immigraqtion and change terminals.  Told them I didn't check luggage and was quick.  I had time for a cup of coffee on LAX.  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, madmike said:

I chose flights with only a 1 hour in LAX to clear customs and immigraqtion and change terminals.  Told them I didn't check luggage and was quick.  I had time for a cup of coffee on LAX.  LOL

and here i am questioning if a 5h layover before and after YYZ Toronto is enough time...

im looking at my likely last minute award availability for my departure Sep24 and one flight that comes up a lot is YYZ-FRA-MUC-BKK but often the layover in FRA is 2hours... most would say thats good to go but LH471 was delayed almost 3h today and 1h 3 days ago

my local airports main Runway is closed for updating so if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction they divert/delay/cancel flights adding to the hassles. So i either book a long YYZ layover or will literally show up early for YQT-YYZ for a free same-day change

I'm considering booking into Thai airways First new 777-300er product LHR-BKK if it becomes available but its at a cost of 7h in economy YYZ-LHR as that flight wont be cheap in flex-points. But will be my first F product and might make a good rags to riches story for my trip report

or i can keep my gross airindia YYZ-DEL thai DEL-BKK but all in business

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ThePope said:

and here i am questioning if a 5h layover before and after YYZ Toronto is enough time...

im looking at my likely last minute award availability for my departure Sep24 and one flight that comes up a lot is YYZ-FRA-MUC-BKK but often the layover in FRA is 2hours... most would say thats good to go but LH471 was delayed almost 3h today and 1h 3 days ago

my local airports main Runway is closed for updating so if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction they divert/delay/cancel flights adding to the hassles. So i either book a long YYZ layover or will literally show up early for YQT-YYZ for a free same-day change

I'm considering booking into Thai airways First new 777-300er product LHR-BKK if it becomes available but its at a cost of 7h in economy YYZ-LHR as that flight wont be cheap in flex-points. But will be my first F product and might make a good rags to riches story for my trip report

or i can keep my gross airindia YYZ-DEL thai DEL-BKK but all in business

In fairness I also held a $49 back up flight back to PHX leaving a few hours later if my tight connection didn't work.  So I wasn't too worried.  Should have mentioned that.  LOL

12 hours ago, madmike said:

I may have posted this but just in case.  I flew AA from PHX to BKK via Sea and Narita.  Phx - Sea - Narita - BKK,  The return was the same route.

So while I'm in Thailand AA changes all my flights to:

BKK - Narita - HOUSTON - Sea

Note it does not get me back to PHX.   Good thing I paid attention.  I contacted them ans they after a bit of cajoling finally recognized they no longer had a complete round trip.  Oops.  They did let me choose my return flights and in fact booked flights that their system didn't want them to.    I chose flights with only a 1 hour in LAX to clear customs and immigraqtion and change terminals.  Told them I didn't check luggage and was quick.  I had time for a cup of coffee on LAX.  LOL

With no checked bags, I think I could do a 1-hour - Global Entry has always been incredibly quick for me at LAX. I'd be nervous, but would be confident I could do it.

But, because of some stuff I need to take, I have to check a bag. Baggage claim at Bradley (or anywhere else at LAX) can take forever. That wait + having to re-check the bags in before the next flight are the big time killers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

With no checked bags, I think I could do a 1-hour - Global Entry has always been incredibly quick for me at LAX. I'd be nervous, but would be confident I could do it.

But, because of some stuff I need to take, I have to check a bag. Baggage claim at Bradley (or anywhere else at LAX) can take forever. That wait + having to re-check the bags in before the next flight are the big time killers.

I wouldn't have risked it if i didn't have a backup flight a few hours later on Southwest for $49.  I could afford to lose that money so I had insurance.  But flight arrived a little early.  Then sat on the tarmac forever.  I was exiting the plane with about 30 minutes til take off and figured I can't make it but I'll wander over the the AA terminal and check.  Went thru immigration like it wasnt there.  Never stopped at customs.  Sure enough.  Flight to PHX was delayed and I had time to buy a Starbucks to drink on the plane.  Only mistake was i forgot to cancel the Southwest flight and they would not refund me.  Small price to pay for insurance.

11 minutes ago, madmike said:

I wouldn't have risked it if i didn't have a backup flight a few hours later on Southwest for $49.  I could afford to lose that money so I had insurance.  But flight arrived a little early.  Then sat on the tarmac forever.  I was exiting the plane with about 30 minutes til take off and figured I can't make it but I'll wander over the the AA terminal and check.  Went thru immigration like it wasnt there.  Never stopped at customs.  Sure enough.  Flight to PHX was delayed and I had time to buy a Starbucks to drink on the plane.  Only mistake was i forgot to cancel the Southwest flight and they would not refund me.  Small price to pay for insurance.

Crap! I was going to mention Southwest's recent change so that flight credits never expire.

Because of that, I intend to back up my connections with a Southwest flight whenever possible.

I also forgot to factor into my "calculations" how BRUTAL the time spent sitting on the tarmac can be at LAX.

I book a second airline option 'Westjet' too. i have a lot of their 'dollars' and book a shtf refundable ticket

For my next departure date Sep24 i have a 0600 Westjet positioning flight booked to toronto for 150'westjet dollars' and $50 travel bank credit

I also have a refundable flight booked for my sister on the AC 0500 flight and one for my mom on the 1000 flight, so if the flights fill but i need a seat im hopefully able to quickly cancel them and book myself- although i know that may not be the case with how waitlists work

Either way being flexible and having lots of points opens up a lot of opportunities

Im seriously considering the thai first option out of LHR if/when it opens up im just not sure what cost im willing to pay and it may require a stop in YYZ and YUL for a tour of Canada

on the way back i have a planned 6h layover in YYZ but i have free same-day-airport-change and will grab an earlier flight if i make it through customs ok and theres a seat free on the plane

On 06/09/2022 at 19:27, Luv2Phuket said:

Same thing happened to me - baffled the shit outta me!

Check flight numbers and precise times - they may have changed by a few minutes.

Just checked it. Everything is exactly the same as it was prior to receiving the message. I think I am going to call them and inquire. 

Were there actually any changes to your itinerary?

38 minutes ago, smithzac91 said:

Just checked it. Everything is exactly the same as it was prior to receiving the message. I think I am going to call them and inquire. 

Were there actually any changes to your itinerary?

One time I couldn't figure it out.

Check arrival times -- they may have changed by a few minutes.

23 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

One time I couldn't figure it out.

Check arrival times -- they may have changed by a few minutes.

Just received an email. They changed my departure and arrival time on the IAH-LAX flight by 20 minutes. Same flight number. Exactly like you said. 

• Like 2

On 07/09/2022 at 09:13, ThePope said:

Came over in july on the new 777 Thai First class from LHR. Great way to fly. Slept like a baby.

Booked w Aeroplan in april when they released the seats shortly after they took delivery of their new 777's.

90k miles plus $975 if remember correctly. YUL-LHR overnight on AC biz then LHR-BKK in First.

• Like 2

Well, I needed to make a decision on my next credit card and unfortunately no big sign up deals presented themselves to me...

So today, I went to my local Chase Bank to deposit unspent cash from my trip I just got back from this Sunday..      Chase had a branch only offer for the CSP, still just 60K miles, but they will waive the $95 annual fee.    So I pulled the trigger. It's been well over 4 years since my last CSP bonus, and UR points are always useful.   Wished for a better bonus, but this had to do.

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

Well, I needed to make a decision on my next credit card and unfortunately no big sign up deals presented themselves to me...

So today, I went to my local Chase Bank to deposit unspent cash from my trip I just got back from this Sunday..      Chase had a branch only offer for the CSP, still just 60K miles, but they will waive the $95 annual fee.    So I pulled the trigger. It's been well over 4 years since my last CSP bonus, and UR points are always useful.   Wished for a better bonus, but this had to do.

My Chase UR are at a horrendously low level, but I am coming up on 2 years from the date I opened my CSP. I'm sitting at 4 opened cards in the past 24 months, so that October date looms large! 555

My issue with Chase is the number of open accounts I currently have. I;m sitting at 7 open cards (personal and business), and the only one I am interested in dropping is my personal Chase BA Avios card, which I only opened in April. I plan to drop it when it comes up for renewal next year. I have a ton of available credit with them, and Chase is very cooperative in moving available credit from one card to another.

On the other hand, my inability to transfer credit from my Citi Prestige to my Citi Premier has been a pain in the ass. I am paying $5k on my estimated taxes, so I had to pay one chunk on the estimated taxes, pay off the card, then go back and pay the rest of the estimated taxes. I lose the benefit of the 30-day float, but 80,000+ Citi TY points softens the blow on that.

I could have hit the minimum spend next month by shifting some other payments to this card, but that's an even bigger pain in the ass! 555

On 12/09/2022 at 10:44, JohnSmith said:

Came over in july on the new 777 Thai First class from LHR

Does Thai have First class on the 777? Doesn't show on SeatGuru but maybe the site is not updated

Just now, Kandinski said:

Does Thai have First class on the 777? Doesn't show on SeatGuru but maybe the site is not updated

i think its only some of their (newest) 777-300er's and i think they are flying to LHR and some cities in Japan right now

8 minutes ago, ThePope said:

i think its only some of their (newest) 777-300er's and i think they are flying to LHR and some cities in Japan right now

Went to Thai booking and they do sell tickets as First class but when looking up the plane First and Biz are same cabin

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thai_Airways/Thai_Airways_Boeing_777-300ER.php?flightno=911&date=

3 minutes ago, ThePope said:

3 minutes ago, ThePope said:

Looks tempting but amazing SeatGure isn't up to speed:

Looks pretty damn good!

I have had that issue with SeatGuru a few times.

3 hours ago, Kandinski said:

Looks tempting but amazing SeatGure isn't up to speed:

i would bet that's because Thai airways website isn't even up to date and doesn't even show the 3class version of the 300er

pretty sure they only have 2 and only ordered 3 of the new aircraft. According to wikipedia they have 14 of the older 777-300er's and they will be retrofitted with first class

LHR-BKK tg911 on sep26 has the 3 class version

looks like they have 10 rows of business for 40seats and first is 8seats

so forward cabin is going from 6 rows of business (24J) to 8F 8J

and they are converting the second cabin from 18J 56Y to 32J

so that should convert the whole plane to 8F 40J 250Y give or take on the Y

21 hours ago, ThePope said:

I flew BKK-LHR last week, it was an almost-full B787-800 with 2-class only, although perhaps they may be planning to put a larger plane on for the winter-season ?