Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

5 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Their lounges in Japan are not fully open yet, so the experience is subpar giving them my "terrible" rating. The star of their 1st class lounge was the sushi bar that has no ETA on opening back up

Yes, you can still order their curry from the QR code at the table, but the lounge itself if a shell of what it was.    it's just not comfortable anymore and/or my standards are too high.   

Certainly the context of today...should weigh into the review...Other than whats not logistically available, was your flight terrible?

IYKYK

25 minutes ago, speedtoy said:

Certainly the context of today...should weigh into the review...Other than whats not logistically available, was your flight terrible?

Anytime you're sitting up front it's not terrible. 

Over the past 2 years I flew Japan Business to BKK at least 4X and Qatar about the same, plus flew AA to Japan a few times as well before my JL Flight.

Time after time, AA and QR were far superior in just about every aspect (other than service vs AA).

Again, comparing business class products only.  And although it's far from terrible there are much better options for money and/or your miles to BKK.

but if JL Biz is your only option you're still winning.

Edited by HimBadMan
edits
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Anytime you're sitting up front it's not terrible. 

Over the past 2 years I flew Japan Business to BKK at least 4X and Qatar about the same, plus flew AA to Japan a few times as well before my JL Flight.

Time after time, AA and QR were far superior in just about every aspect (other than service vs AA).

Again, comparing business class products only.  And although it's far from terrible their are much better options for money and/or your miles to BKK.

but if JL Biz is your only option you're still winning.

I flew it January/March rt LAX-BKK.  My needs are simple.  Lie flat.  All aisle access.  Privacy.  And somewhere quiet in a lounge between flights.  I've had better like Asiana or Cathay.  But I was very satisfied with JAL.  Like you say.  It works.  It's winning.

2 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

Their lounges in Japan are not fully open yet, so the experience is subpar giving them my "terrible" rating. The star of their 1st class lounge was the sushi bar that has no ETA on opening back up

Yes, you can still order their curry from the QR code at the table, but the lounge itself if a shell of what it was.    it's just not comfortable anymore and/or my standards are too high.   

Okay - I definitely get that. The last time I flew through Singapore, their lounge was like that. My order never got received, so I got no snack/food. It really sucked.

My recollection of JAL must be from pre-COVID, as I recall multiple trips to the curry table! 555

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Estimated tax payments are coming up in mid-September and I am thinking I need to pay more than my base rate given a potential bump in pay. That means it's time to check out new credit card bonus offers! 555

Right now, nothing looks too appealing, but hoping that September brings a new crop of expanded offers.

I think I am under the 5/24 Rule, but think that I just have too many open Chase cards. Chase Hyatt Biz could be a possibility, but frankly, it's a pretty shitty card that I would not keep past the first year (no annual free room).

AMEX offers me limited value, because I have had the personal Platinum card + I got the Delta AMEX card in June, so doubt that wanna float me another card this soon. AMEX Platinum Biz card has a 15,000 minimum spend for the bonus. Although I am upping my payment, I'm not upping it THAT much! 555

Citi Premier is looking like a possibility. BUT I have the Prestige (no longer offered) and they miscalculate my annual rate every year (charge me as if I am a Citi Preferred banking client, which I am not), so I may not want to draw too much attention to that account.

Bummed that the Marriott Boundless dropped from 5 free nights to three. Still, that could end up being a possibility.

Cap One may be a way to go. I have the Venture, but will likely drop it when it comes up for renewal. Venture X just doesn't hold that much appeal to me, but maybe I should take a closer look?

Alaska Biz looks a little appealing, but, from my experience, Bank of America is difficult to deal with on Biz credit cards.

Fingers crossed someone bumps up an offer in early September.

Anybody else eyeing a new credit card?

6 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Estimated tax payments are coming up in mid-September and I am thinking I need to pay more than my base rate given a potential bump in pay. That means it's time to check out new credit card bonus offers! 555

Right now, nothing looks too appealing, but hoping that September brings a new crop of expanded offers.

I think I am under the 5/24 Rule, but think that I just have too many open Chase cards. Chase Hyatt Biz could be a possibility, but frankly, it's a pretty shitty card that I would not keep past the first year (no annual free room).

AMEX offers me limited value, because I have had the personal Platinum card + I got the Delta AMEX card in June, so doubt that wanna float me another card this soon. AMEX Platinum Biz card has a 15,000 minimum spend for the bonus. Although I am upping my payment, I'm not upping it THAT much! 555

Citi Premier is looking like a possibility. BUT I have the Prestige (no longer offered) and they miscalculate my annual rate every year (charge me as if I am a Citi Preferred banking client, which I am not), so I may not want to draw too much attention to that account.

Bummed that the Marriott Boundless dropped from 5 free nights to three. Still, that could end up being a possibility.

Cap One may be a way to go. I have the Venture, but will likely drop it when it comes up for renewal. Venture X just doesn't hold that much appeal to me, but maybe I should take a closer look?

Alaska Biz looks a little appealing, but, from my experience, Bank of America is difficult to deal with on Biz credit cards.

Fingers crossed someone bumps up an offer in early September.

Anybody else eyeing a new credit card?

I'm in the same boat...  I've been waiting..

I need to get a Marriott card, I need the free 15 night elite credit to ensure I stay Platinum for next year. I am not concerned about bonus points there as I have way too many (I guess can't really have enough).

I am really hoping Chase comes back with the 80k bonus for CSP.  I got that card and bonus over 4 years ago so I'm eligle again.   it's always nice to stack UR Miles..

but only 4 more months until End of Year so I need to make a decision quickly..

PS.  Sheraton Koh Samui approved my Suite Night Upgrade to a one bedroom suite for my stay this weekend.   only 1 night before I go to Koh Phangan.  and will do the last night back in Samui at my Fav Renaissance and should get my beach front pool villa like last year to hopefully exhaust all my SNA for the year..

let's hope we get some good bonuses!

Edited by HimBadMan
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Ronniecruize said:

Any experience flying JAL biz ? It looks very unique and excellent. Looks like a great " experience ", with traditional Japanese style being offered. 

JAL business class seats are a mixed bag. The Sky Suite (current "new" seat) is like a coffin. On the plus side, it is very private. I've changed my pants at a window seat without any fear of being seen. On the minus side, it can feel claustrophobic for larger people. There's like a 15" wide squeeze just to get to the seat if you're window. I also didn't like how there was no place to put my phone and loose items. There's a tiny table under the monitor, but that's it. Very little to no storage, depending on seat. 

Some routes get the Sky Suite III. That's the reverse herringbone same as CX, AA (the "newer" J seats), BR, and a few others. Not much to say there. Regional biz in Shell Neo and Skyrecliner have no real standout features over other regional biz carriers in 2x2x2 layout, so not much to report there. 

I actually like the food on JAL though because I like Japanese food. The bento box style meals are great, albeit not enough to really fill you up. They often run out though, so if you're set on it, try to pre-order the Japanese menu. The newer international biz seats have these IFE remotes where you can order snacks without having to call a FA over first. More airlines should do that. 

Lounge experience--I actually don't really recall much of the lounge, so I guess it didn't really make an impression. Although, I will say that JAL had one of the largest smoking rooms I've ever seen, and in-lounge as well. I don't smoke anymore, but if you do, you'll love it. It's truly massive with nice seating, so you don't feel like you're stuffed in a closet elbow to elbow with other smokers hot boxing the place. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Canadian Amex Gold has an offer 50k points for $3000 spend and 10points per dollar up to 20k points on groceries. But the offer is broken and the 20k points on grocery isn't capped. They had the same problem earlier in the year on a different card... Some people abused it a lot and got points taken back. Some people got banned. But its hard to get full info as people keep quiet online

So i have this card. Ive already done $3000 spend (in 7 days lol) and am still getting 10points per dollar at the grocery store. I just have to decide how daring i want to be with this... Do i do 5k spend a month giving me 150k extra points over the offer.. or 10k a month... I can buy amazon GC's, gas GC's, homedepot gc's, and we have a reloadable GC in canada with fees that are about 2.5% that i can bill-pay to liquidate so cost per point is 0.25cents with that method (up to $5000 a month) unfortunately my closest store is sold out of those at the moment

I think im aiming for $10,000 spend a month/ 300k points which transfer to aeroplan at 1:1. I can buy $500 a trip without being harrassed so thats 20trips a month... i guess im doing daily stops for bananas eggs etc

12 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

I'm in the same boat...  I've been waiting..

I need to get a Marriott card, I need the free 15 night elite credit to ensure I stay Platinum for next year. I am not concerned about bonus points there as I have way too many (I guess can't really have enough).

I am really hoping Chase comes back with the 80k bonus for CSP.  I got that card and bonus over 4 years ago so I'm eligle again.   it's always nice to stack UR Miles..

but only 4 more months until End of Year so I need to make a decision quickly..

PS.  Sheraton Koh Samui approved my Suite Night Upgrade to a one bedroom suite for my stay this weekend.   only 1 night before I go to Koh Phangan.  and will do the last night back in Samui at my Fav Renaissance and should get my beach front pool villa like last year to hopefully exhaust all my SNA for the year..

let's hope we get some good bonuses!

I was looking at Marriott cards and  am pretty sure that the Bonvoy Bold gives you 15 elite night credits each year, with no annual fee.

Crappy product, though - 30,000 Marriott points for $1,000 spend; 3X spend at Marriott. Then again, for no annual fee, what do you expect?

Be careful - I thought I read somewhere that elite nights from Marriott credit cards are capped at 15 total. Maybe that is from personal cards only, because I thought I got 30 from my Chase and AMEX Marriott Biz cards?

The more I think about my situation, the more I am leaning towards the Citi Premier. 80,000 Citi TY is reportedly their highest bonus offer ever, 3X grocery and gas spend (so it would be my "go to" card for those). Minimum spend is "only" $4,000 (which I would exceed with my estimated tax payment).

I'm sitting on 100k+ Citi TY, so that would push me closer to 200k. It is my only decent transferable program balance.

As it concerns travel to BKK, Citi TY transfer to Singapore, Asia Miles, Emirates, Etihad, Qatar, Thai (crappy redemption rates), Virgin Atlantic (reportedly great for ANA redemptions), and EVA.

As far as I have seen, Citi TY is the only transfer partner for EVA. With biz class flights at 75,000 EVA InfinityLand Miles each way, that makes TY one of my favorite programs (and why I cleared out my other transferrable program balances to load up my SQ account, as opposed to using TY).

EDIT:

Just checked my 5/24 eligibility, and I think I am sitting at 3/24, with my Chase Sapphire Preferred moving past 24 months in October. I opened 2 accounts earlier this year (Chase BA in April and AMEX Delta in June), so those are not going to clear for a while.

On the Chase front, I am considering the Hyatt Biz card. I can't see myself renewing it at the $199 annual fee given no free night, but current offer is 60,000 Hyatt points for $5k spend. That means minimum of 65,000 Hyatt points, which equates to over 8 nights in a standard at the Hyatt Regency or Grand Hyatt Erawan in Bangkok.

Also, although I have to be under 5/24 to get it, it is my understanding that it does NOT count against my 5/24 going forward. A key point given that I am 2 cards in the past 5 months.

Although I could easily hit either a $4k or a $5k minimum spend, I don't know that I can hit BOTH ($9k) in 90 days.

I recently got the Capital One Venture X, and I'd say it's the easiest ultrapremium annual fee to justify for me. I got a 50k retention offer on the Amex Platinum, or I would have canceled that this year. Will likely cancel my Amex Marriott next January as well; the monthly restaurant credit system just doesn't work well for me.

I also like having a Priority Pass that (finally) has restaurants included. I'm realizing I simply don't fly back from Colombia via Miami often enough to make use of the Centurion Lounge, so Amex's lounge program isn't great for me.

Have you looked at the Ink cards? They usually have high minimum spending required for the SUBs; might be a good one to get before a tax payment.

Chase Ink Business Preferred has a whopping 100k bonus offer, BUT it requires $15k in spend to get the SUB.

My estimated taxes are ugly, but not THAT ugly.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Chase Ink Business Preferred has a whopping 100k bonus offer, BUT it requires $15k in spend to get the SUB.

My estimated taxes are ugly, but not THAT ugly.

I prepped for this in advance by not paying my taxes for a couple of quarters. I'm explaining to my accountant that it's all for the credit card points...

• Haha 4

For those who may not have seen this. ThePointsGuy says that Etihad has released biz seats to Aeroplan.  Availability from sept 2022 to july 2023 from Chicago, New York and Washington amongst others.

https://thepointsguy.com/deals/etihad-business-via-aeroplan/?utm_content=AD5AD4E0-224A-11ED-8361-5F4D0EDC252D&utm_term=Editorial&utm_campaign=facebook&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR30ELWp4jiHuCMVqLnH2YfUgAJkVdgo0zH-b0TcsBechTKStFqBIwD1jKs

On 24/08/2022 at 09:10, Luv2Phuket said:

I don't know that I would call their lounge "terrible." It is stellar compared to USA domestic lounges; it just pales in comparison to some (many?) International lounges. I love Japanese curry, so I can always enjoy myself at their lounge or ANA's.

@Ronniecruize Apex Biz seating is interesting. I am claustrophobic, so I do not like their window seating, but those seats are INCREDIBLY private. Maybe the most private business class seating that I have seen.

I'm with you on the Japanese curry and karaage(fried chicken). I usually have it at the ANA Gold lounge in Narita. The JAL and ANA lounges are stellar compared to the USA domestic lounges in food and service IMO as well. 

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

1 hour ago, JohnSmith said:

Etihad has released biz seats to Aeroplan

Just a tangent....I read that capital one miles/points can be transferred to Aeroplan on 1:1.8 so making the capital one miles almost double value.

Is it so?? Could a "virgin points dabbler" be able to navigate it easily??

Tia

1 hour ago, JustL said:

I'm with you on the Japanese curry and karaage(fried chicken). I usually have it at the ANA Gold lounge in Narita. The JAL and ANA lounges are stellar compared to the USA domestic lounges in food and service IMO as well. 

Just checked it to confirm, but my recollection was correct - the ANA lounge (not sure if it is the Gold lounge) at Haneda is part of Priority Pass, so, if you are flying JAL and have a Priority Pass membership, you can sample both lounges.

I did that on a prior trip. I thought ANA's was better, but it also was more crowded.

Found this a little interesting, so thought I would post it here.

I snagged the Citi Premier card. Instant approval, but a shitty LOC - only $3000.

I figured it was no problem, I would just move existing credit over from my Prestige card (which has a $30k+ LOC). I have done that too many times to count with Chase.

Called Citi and was told there is no way for them to transfer available credit between cards. Really surprised by that.

After I get the card in, I will call to try to bump the LOC to $5k. I have a $4k minimum spend, so it will be a bit of a pain in the ass to have to make mid-month payments in order to hit that $4k the first month.

• Like 1

Would have loved to get that new Citi card with 80k points bonus and relatively small minimum spend , but I don't qualify because as within the last 24 months,  I have both received the Premiere bonus and closed a Premiere card, which just one alone is a disqualifying factor. 

Edited by Ronniecruize

18 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Found this a little interesting, so thought I would post it here.

I snagged the Citi Premier card. Instant approval, but a shitty LOC - only $3000.

I figured it was no problem, I would just move existing credit over from my Prestige card (which has a $30k+ LOC). I have done that too many times to count with Chase.

Called Citi and was told there is no way for them to transfer available credit between cards. Really surprised by that.

After I get the card in, I will call to try to bump the LOC to $5k. I have a $4k minimum spend, so it will be a bit of a pain in the ass to have to make mid-month payments in order to hit that $4k the first month.

Why did Citi do you dirty like that on the LOC, particularly in light of a $30k LOC on another card? I've seen these type of LOC shenanigans from over seas banks like Barclays, who started me at $5k and only bumped me up to $8k after I complained that $5k is practically unusable due to utilization ratios (a good tactic, btw). But a domestic bank? 

Wonder if they're counting aggregate credit and have some magical formula that limits this other card. 

SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!

21 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

SOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous!

FYI.   landed about 30 mins ago and APEC line was clutch.   Happy to see it was easy/breezy and operational 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

FYI.   landed about 30 mins ago and APEC line was clutch.   Happy to see it was easy/breezy and operational 

VERY happy to hear that the APEC line is back up and running!

I hate when I waste "free points," and I just realized I effectively have waived about 1,100 Hilton points this year - nothing to lose sleep over, but still bugs me.

Hilton has partnered with Lyft so that, if you link your accounts, you get 3 Hilton Honors points for each Lyft ride. While I'm not a big Lyft customer, I have run up about $375 in charges since February.

Not to be confused, Marriott has partnered with Uber, for which I have been registered. As I understand it, you get 3X Bonvoy on many Uber rides, 6X on UberEats delivered to a Marriott hotel, and 2X on Uber East orders over $25.

I use Uber even less than Lyft (which is usually a little cheaper here in LV), so I've only added about 350 Bonvoy in the past few months. Again, nothing to get too excited about, but free points are free points.

Related note - be sure to link your Uber/Lyft account to whatever card gets you the most bonus points for rides. For me, Uber is on my AMEX Green, which gets me 3X MR, and Lyft is my Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is drawing 5X UR for Lyft rides.