Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

On 01/12/2022 at 20:31, Luv2Phuket said:

A possibly unique way to earn 60,000 MR - AMEX Business checking account:

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amex-business-checking-account/

Looks like a $5,000 minimum deposit has to be made and maintained for 60 days and you have to make 10 qualified transactions (based on comments, those would include bank transfers and credit card payments) within 60 days.

Interest rate isn't great (1.3%), but it's better than nothing, especially with the bonus MRs.

I'm about to come into a chunk of money, so looking for some ways to move it and get either a cash bonus or some points/miles, so this could be a viable idea to me.

Anybody else considering something like this?

This looks good but do you know how strict they are they on if you actually have a business?

Another option I've been looking at is trying to get a realistic redemption for a direct flight to one of the places we normally go (HKG, TPE, ICN etc) and then book a cheaper ticket on a different airline to BKK.  I did it once a few years ago when British Air had cheap business flight redemptions on partners to BKK.  Of course you have to go get your luggage and then go back through security at the connection airport. 

18 hours ago, wdogg said:

This looks good but do you know how strict they are they on if you actually have a business?

Another option I've been looking at is trying to get a realistic redemption for a direct flight to one of the places we normally go (HKG, TPE, ICN etc) and then book a cheaper ticket on a different airline to BKK.  I did it once a few years ago when British Air had cheap business flight redemptions on partners to BKK.  Of course you have to go get your luggage and then go back through security at the connection airport. 

I've considered flying into a hub and doing a cheaper ticket into BKK, but never really saw anything that appealed to me. I think it makes more sense if you want to stay in that location for a few days (like Singapore) OR if the mileage requirements are lower. Most mileage plans I use are the same to BKK as they are to HKG, TPE, etc. I would also only do it with short leg into BKK - no 5 1/2 hour flights to Tokyo or ICN.

I'm not sure about how strict AMEX is on having a business (primarily because I have been self-employed for years).

I just read about an IMPRESSIVE "duo" that I might have to try to get - AMEX Biz Platinum ($15k spend in first 3 months) + the AMEX Biz checking account (same requirements as above) + you get 20,000 bonus MRs if you satisfy both. 

Detailed here: https://frequentmiler.com/365000-point-bonanza-with-2-new-cards-and-a-checking-account/

While I have been reluctant to get the AMEX Biz Platinum because of the hefty spend requirement, a combined 245,000 MRs is pretty damn compelling (150k + 60k + 20k bonus + the 15k MR I would get for the required spend).

I have been considering getting the Biz Platinum (had the personal Platinum, so no bonus left there). The Centurion lounge here is nice and the Delta card I got last year has shittier access to it than I thought (ONLY when flying Delta). I am dropping it when it comes up for renewal.

The contract that killed my November trip got extended, with a nice year-end bonus, so I expect my tax bill to be UGLY (and even worse next year). I was going to pay $5k in estimated taxes in December, but I could probably do the full $15k on that, covering most, if not all, of my tax bill (the $5k was just to cover my ass by paying estimated taxes that exceeded my tax bill from last year).

EDIT:

I used a tax estimator and my records from last year to get a rough approximation of what my tab may look like in April, then deducted my estimated tax payments to date....ouch!

Let's just say I am safe paying $15,000 in estimated taxes in December or January! 555

Once the December payments hit my account, I am planning to jump on this offer.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I've considered flying into a hub and doing a cheaper ticket into BKK, but never really saw anything that appealed to me. I think it makes more sense if you want to stay in that location for a few days (like Singapore) OR if the mileage requirements are lower. Most mileage plans I use are the same to BKK as they are to HKG, TPE, etc. I would also only do it with short leg into BKK - no 5 1/2 hour flights to Tokyo or ICN.

I'm not sure about how strict AMEX is on having a business (primarily because I have been self-employed for years).

I just read about an IMPRESSIVE "duo" that I might have to try to get - AMEX Biz Platinum ($15k spend in first 3 months) + the AMEX Biz checking account (same requirements as above) + you get 20,000 bonus MRs if you satisfy both. 

Detailed here: https://frequentmiler.com/365000-point-bonanza-with-2-new-cards-and-a-checking-account/

While I have been reluctant to get the AMEX Biz Platinum because of the hefty spend requirement, a combined 245,000 MRs is pretty damn compelling (150k + 60k + 20k bonus + the 15k MR I would get for the required spend).

I have been considering getting the Biz Platinum (had the personal Platinum, so no bonus left there). The Centurion lounge here is nice and the Delta card I got last year has shittier access to it than I thought (ONLY when flying Delta). I am dropping it when it comes up for renewal.

The contract that killed my November trip got extended, with a nice year-end bonus, so I expect my tax bill to be UGLY (and even worse next year). I was going to pay $5k in estimated taxes in December, but I could probably do the full $15k on that, covering most, if not all, of my tax bill (the $5k was just to cover my ass by paying estimated taxes that exceeded my tax bill from last year).

EDIT:

I used a tax estimator and my records from last year to get a rough approximation of what my tab may look like in April, then deducted my estimated tax payments to date....ouch!

Let's just say I am safe paying $15,000 in estimated taxes in December or January! 555

Once the December payments hit my account, I am planning to jump on this offer.

My latest trip I considered doing TWO hubs.  First fly to LAX or SFO.  Then to TPE or NRT or SIN etc.  And buy separate tickets to get to and from the hubs.  But man does it add a lot of uncertainty to the trip.  For years I have done it at one end flying into LAX on a separate ticket.  Even that is getting dicey as airlines seem more inclined to change schedules and throw everything off.

I paid a bit more this time (no miles as I am incompetent using them or accruing them) to fly with one airline all the way from PHX to BKK but I feel assured if I am on time at my first gate they will get me there.  Well maybe.  I hear such bad things about Air Canada.  Oh well.  Makes like interesting I guess.

23 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I pulled the trigger, but it was NOT without complications....

The link provided took me to an AMEX Biz Platinum link that comes up as an expired offer. When I clicked the link below it on that page to "apply," it took me to a page offering 120,000 MRs for $15,000 spend.

BUT ThePointsGuy has a link for a 150,000 MRs for $15,000 spend, so I used the TPG link instead.

Went back to the original link and set up my AMEX Business Checking account, and funded it today from my current (Chase) business checking account. Piece of cake, as that account is already linked to my AMEX Hilton Biz credit card. I moved the $5k minimum required deposit in, but did it over 2 transfers, hoping they count as 2 of my required 10.

Because I used the TPG link for my Biz Platinum card, I'm not sure if I will get the 20,000 bonus points for doing each. The T&C just say "must apply separately for each," so I printed and saved that. Once I hit both bonuses, I will contact AMEX and try to squeeze the 20,000 extra MRs out of them if I don't get them (unlikely that will work, but at least it's worth a shot). In any event, I figure I am 30,000 ahead by using the TPG link (150,000 instead of 120,000 MRs), so it all works out.

Minimum MRs I should net from this looks like 225,000 (15k in spend + 150k Platinum bonus + 60k checking bonus).

Because I have an AMEX Hilton Biz card already, it populated just about everything for me. Only took a couple of minutes to complete the apps and get approved for both.

I looked at the perks of the Platinum Biz card and not overly impressed. The best thing is I will DEFINITELY drop my Delta card, as the Platinum Biz gets me Delta lounge access when flying Delta (and Centurion when flying anyone, which is the biggest perk for me). $120 a year in mobile credits that I will take advantage of (because they have good mobile phone insurance); CLEAR credit, but I already get that with my AMEX Green (which may spell the end of that card for me, as well).

On 05/12/2022 at 13:30, wdogg said:

The main issue seems to be a lack of awards available at the ‘saver’ levels. I think it’s important to look at all options. The price in miles between HKG and BKK may be the same at a given level, but if HKG has saver space available and BKK doesn’t, you’re better off going to HKG and finding another way to BKK either paid or using another award with a different program.

I’m doing a stopover in Japan on my next trip. Using AA miles, it was 60K USA-Japan and 30K Japan-BKK. That’s 20K more than the 70K saver award for USA-BKK, but at the time I’m traveling the were no saver awards available to BKK, only 140K anytime awards. It’s definitely getting harder, so booking early and exploring all the permutations for whatever miles you have available is becoming more important.

A few random miles & points thoughts....

Gift cards

Despite my experience "in the game," I often forget the value of gift cards. Since my AMEX Biz Platinum will refund my CLEAR membership fees, I am 99% sure that I am dropping my AMEX Green card, the primary value of which is the CLEAR reimbursement and 3X MRs on Uber.

So I started looking for alternative cards to use for my Uber account, when I read a blog that suggested gift cards. VERY disappointed I didn't think of this earlier!

My Chase Ink gets 5X at office supply stores (where I bought another Visa GC today), so that equates to 5X on Uber (already getting5X on Lyft on my Chase Sapphire Preferred).

The only downside is that you "prepay" to load your Uber account, but is now my preferred means of funding Uber rides. Bought an Uber GC at the grocery store today (my Citi Prestige is offering 5X on grocery purchases right now), but future loads will likely come via my Ink card at Office Depot.

Same concept works for Amazon purchases or just about any category where you can buy GCs.

AMEX Business Platinum

My card came yesterday and I immediately jumped on a few perks, including one that surprised me. 

I hope to use the shit out of the Centurion lounge at Harry Reid airport (and other airports, like LAX and SFO, although I am usually flying International through them).

$200 airline fee reimbursement I will TRY to use to fund my United Mileage Bank. It worked for my Hilton AMEX, so hoping it does here, too. Since that is an annual perk, I should be up for another $200 in 3 weeks.

$10/month mobile phone credit is a no brainer, given that AMEX has fantastic mobile phone insurance. I had been using my Citi Prestige for its insurance coverage, but the $10 a month credit makes AMEX the easy choice.

Finally, I knew there was a $200 Dell credit every 6 months (January to June; July through December), but thought "I'm not going to buy a computer very 6 months...." Luckily, I don't have to - Dell.com has an absurd amount of electronics and other shit. Last night, I got my HR Block tax program (that I buy every year for aorund $50), a 4 TB external hard drive (mine is okay, but getting old - new job requires a lot of data), and a sleeve for my 17" laptop (in case I am using a small carry on bag and not my backpack). Total out of pocket after the credit was $17.

As of January 1, a new $200 Dell credit kicks in, and I am already eyeing a pair of Bose Quiet Comfort noise cancelling wireless headphones ($249) or upgrading one of my outdated 24" monitors with a new 27" monitor. Even though the headphones look fantastic, I am leaning towards a new monitor in January, since that's a "daily use" thing.

Lots of ear buds and gaming shit. That stuff doesn't appeal to me (just got new AirPods with a Verizon credit), but, if you have a Business Platinum, it may appeal to you.

DEFINITELY not thrilled about the $695 annual fee, but dropping my AMEX Green and my AMEX Delta Reserve will save me right around that, if not a little more.

Quiet Comfort wireless headphones

• Like 2

Quick update to my AMEX experience - 

As mentioned above, I paid $15k on my estimated taxes. I called AMEX first, because, even though there is no preset spending limit, they evaluate past charges and activity and it was a new card. Rep said "no problem."

What really surprised me was that the MR bonus already has hit my account. I thought it would be at the end of the billing cycle (and it appears the 15,000+ MRs themselves will ht then), but the 150,000 bonus hot as soon as I hit the spending threshold.

• 2 weeks later...

Fingers crossed tomorrow i fly on award space through YYZ and YVR two airports that have had recent disruptions and IRROPS

Originally booked AC to DEL then TG to BKK but after my last fiasco in DEL i got lucky and was allowed to book a free change to fly on all AC metal to YYZ-YVR-BKK in J. Cost of 118k Aeroplan +$1576cdn is 'a lot' for an award flight however leaving dec26 and only booking ~5mo in advance i call this a win

Im HK on all flights according to cowtool (aircanada independent searcher/ info) checked in and seats confirmed

But being on award space and also being a zero AC status pax on an airline where status is hard to not-get unless youre a filthy Kettle or only fly on points

4h layover in YYZ, and 3h40m in YVR where i can check out the 'signature suite' lounge which rivals the best lounges in the world imo

2h to yyz, 5h to yvr, 16h to bkk so yes that adds up to 31h travel time or 32.5h if you count the 1.5h ill spend waiting in my regional airport

why do i do this? or why doesn't every man do this?... i dont know the answer to that question

I survived and was delivered to my destination 10minutes early however AC tried their best to screw that up

My positioning flight was late 1h 'just because' the inbound was late 'because AC'

Thats not a bother because my YYZ-YVR flight was delayed for 25minutes because its inbound was also delayed

Boarding was called at the revised time and we sat on the plane an additional 3h since YYZ gate D39 machinery that loads cargo was broken. I had a starboard window seat so i got to see the dumb+ dumber routine of the baggage loaders not knowing how to drive their airport trucks around with the trailers on them i think everyone is a new hire at YYZ

We made up 20m in the air so i landed at YVR with a comfortable 45m to transit but wait theres more

1h before landing the call came over the PA for a doctor- some FOTSG 65yo woman felt a tickle in her heart i guess so we all had to sit on the plane to wait for paramedics to get her off- thankfully she wasn't a full on drama Queen and walked herself off the plane so that only delayed an additional 15m.

After watching Mr and Mrs Kettle fiddle to get their carry-ons out of the bin in my isle as i sat in 1k and we were deplaning from door 2 i saw lane1 was open and switched isles through the front and was off to be blocked on the jetbridge by a 65yo man saying he has a late connection and stopped shoulder to shoulder to talk to a ramp agent about what his plan should be so i excuseyourselfsir past him and ran to my gate which was about half boarded at the 15m to scheduled departure mark

I probably didnt have to run but as it goes the airline can be as late as it wants but if youre the one holding them up they will gladly rebook you in 2 days in economy

Nice uneventful 15h20m flight as we made up time with wind and i napped a 10h block thanks to a couple Seroquel 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ThePope said:

I survived and was delivered to my destination 10minutes early however AC tried their best to screw that up

My positioning flight was late 1h 'just because' the inbound was late 'because AC'

Thats not a bother because my YYZ-YVR flight was delayed for 25minutes because its inbound was also delayed

Boarding was called at the revised time and we sat on the plane an additional 3h since YYZ gate D39 machinery that loads cargo was broken. I had a starboard window seat so i got to see the dumb+ dumber routine of the baggage loaders not knowing how to drive their airport trucks around with the trailers on them i think everyone is a new hire at YYZ

We made up 20m in the air so i landed at YVR with a comfortable 45m to transit but wait theres more

1h before landing the call came over the PA for a doctor- some FOTSG 65yo woman felt a tickle in her heart i guess so we all had to sit on the plane to wait for paramedics to get her off- thankfully she wasn't a full on drama Queen and walked herself off the plane so that only delayed an additional 15m.

After watching Mr and Mrs Kettle fiddle to get their carry-ons out of the bin in my isle as i sat in 1k and we were deplaning from door 2 i saw lane1 was open and switched isles through the front and was off to be blocked on the jetbridge by a 65yo man saying he has a late connection and stopped shoulder to shoulder to talk to a ramp agent about what his plan should be so i excuseyourselfsir past him and ran to my gate which was about half boarded at the 15m to scheduled departure mark

I probably didnt have to run but as it goes the airline can be as late as it wants but if youre the one holding them up they will gladly rebook you in 2 days in economy

Nice uneventful 15h20m flight as we made up time with wind and i napped a 10h block thanks to a couple Seroquel 

So am I correct that you just took the non-stop YVR-BKK flight with Air Canada?  What class and how was it?  I am scheduled January 8 in business class.

8 hours ago, madmike said:

So am I correct that you just took the non-stop YVR-BKK flight with Air Canada?  What class and how was it?  I am scheduled January 8 in business class.

yes i took that flight and yyz-yvr also in business class. AC business class is pretty standard with its hard product being the collins reverse harringbone seats found on many airlines; not quite as comfortable as a real bed but good enough. Zone 1 boarding means you get a priority lane to board when you want and are always called first now as they changed their priority boarding system so you dont even have to wait for the families to board and if youre late to board you can just skip the que with the zone1 line. IFE has good options. noise canceling headphones are ok but no match for my bose q35

the food on board is pretty good; choice of 4 meal options but they often run out of some so the tip i have is book your seat closest to the front because the way meals are supposed to be handed out is superelites and other status flyers and then front to back. However i found all 4 meal options on both flights looked good to me. I had the veal on the YVR-YYZ flight and i would review it as "first class hamburger helper" and a seabass on the YYZ-BKK which was great. They always hit you with a cheese platter and dessert. Arrival meal is omlette and sausage or chicken+noodles and as i hate omlettes i had the chicken and it was good. They have dine on demand as well as they put out baskets of snacks at the front of the cabin you can take as many kitkats or ms vickies chips as you want

Obviously AC lacks in on time performance so if you have a connection be sure to book a long layover... i had 4h in YYZ and 3h45m in YVR and that YVR turned into 15minutes due to that delay. They may have held the plane a bit for passengers but i couldnt imagine too long as the crew is already on duty for 18+ hours for a  15h flight. If youre connecting in YVR from the USA im not sure how long the connection will take or if you'll have to go through another screening. I didnt get to explore the YVR terminal but it looks pretty small

11 hours ago, ThePope said:

yes i took that flight and yyz-yvr also in business class. AC business class is pretty standard with its hard product being the collins reverse harringbone seats found on many airlines; not quite as comfortable as a real bed but good enough. Zone 1 boarding means you get a priority lane to board when you want and are always called first now as they changed their priority boarding system so you dont even have to wait for the families to board and if youre late to board you can just skip the que with the zone1 line. IFE has good options. noise canceling headphones are ok but no match for my bose q35

the food on board is pretty good; choice of 4 meal options but they often run out of some so the tip i have is book your seat closest to the front because the way meals are supposed to be handed out is superelites and other status flyers and then front to back. However i found all 4 meal options on both flights looked good to me. I had the veal on the YVR-YYZ flight and i would review it as "first class hamburger helper" and a seabass on the YYZ-BKK which was great. They always hit you with a cheese platter and dessert. Arrival meal is omlette and sausage or chicken+noodles and as i hate omlettes i had the chicken and it was good. They have dine on demand as well as they put out baskets of snacks at the front of the cabin you can take as many kitkats or ms vickies chips as you want

Obviously AC lacks in on time performance so if you have a connection be sure to book a long layover... i had 4h in YYZ and 3h45m in YVR and that YVR turned into 15minutes due to that delay. They may have held the plane a bit for passengers but i couldnt imagine too long as the crew is already on duty for 18+ hours for a  15h flight. If youre connecting in YVR from the USA im not sure how long the connection will take or if you'll have to go through another screening. I didnt get to explore the YVR terminal but it looks pretty small

Thanks for all of that.  Very much making me happier with my plan.  I have a 6 hour layover in YVR so all good there.  And I'm flying AC from the states as well one jump from PHX-YVR.  So unless one of those two flights is messed up I'm good to go.

I don't normally eat much food so usually don't care but in this case total time on that jet including at gates might be close to 17 hours.  It matters.  So good to know my seating in row 3 is good to go. 

Mind you I am currently a bit shell shocked as I was a victim of the Southwest meltdown this week.  Got home last night only because I am quick to find alternative transport and even that almost fell through when the tiny airport I flew out of lost their navigational equipment and incoming plane had trouble landing.  Yikes.  And Provo airport has no alternative airlines.  If your flight doesn't go you are screwed and tomorrows flights are already booked.  What a nightmare.

Thanks again.  I'm feeling better about choosing AC for this trip.

8 hours ago, madmike said:

Mind you I am currently a bit shell shocked as I was a victim of the Southwest meltdown this week.  Got home last night only because I am quick to find alternative transport and even that almost fell through when the tiny airport I flew out of lost their navigational equipment and incoming plane had trouble landing.  Yikes.  And Provo airport has no alternative airlines.  If your flight doesn't go you are screwed and tomorrows flights are already booked.  What a nightmare.

Thanks again.  I'm feeling better about choosing AC for this trip.

The SW meltdown also has me very nervous about positioning flights moving forward.

My brother was caught in it - I was able to find seats in first class for him and his wife for $5,500....ONE WAY!  OUCH!

He's rich and she was pissd off and ripping him a new asshole, so it was a small price to pay to get them home.

It also netted me another 5,500 Loyalty Points and about 16,500 AA miles (since I bought the tickets on my Aviator credit card and will get him to pay me back). Gives me an outside shot of Platinum Pro for 2023.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, madmike said:

I have a 6 hour layover in YVR so all good there. 

6h might be long enough...

be sure to head to the signature suite lounge afaik its at the same entry as the maple leaf lounge. I didnt get to check out the YVR one as i had zero minutes in the airport but the YYZ one was on-par with a 5 star restaraunt

I think the showers are operational in the MLL in YVR but you shouldn't need a shower so no reason to go the MLL

4 hours ago, ThePope said:

Gotta admit, with the SW meltdown and my brother and I both having every leg (3) of our respective AA flights delayed by 45 minutes to an hour, I am re-thinking the cushion I was going to build into my positioning flight from LAS to LAX. 

I was thinking 3 hours. I am now thinking 5+, as I should be able to kill plenty of time in the various lounges (including Centurion).

5 hours ago, ThePope said:

be sure to head to the signature suite lounge afaik its at the same entry as the maple leaf lounge. I didnt get to check out the YVR one as i had zero minutes in the airport but the YYZ one was on-par with a 5 star restaraunt

I think the showers are operational in the MLL in YVR but you shouldn't need a shower so no reason to go the MLL

Yeah shower wouldn't be needed yet.  I will hopefully have time to check out the lounge there.  Getting close and I'm getting anxious the world will fall apart before I go.  😜

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few trips this year.

1st...  Feb 2023. I have my LAX-DXB-BKK flight in Emirates 1st class.   This was suppose to be my mini retirement trip.  But sadly I decided to stay one more year at work.    Due to a recent Emirates devaluation I had to take this unscheduled trip.   If not, I would have had to repost miles and they pay for the new reward over 20% more.   So I just said fuck it let me spend a few days in Thailand

Trip 2: May 2023:.   I was tired of looking at 140k united miles and never seeing an award under 270K to BKk..   somehow saw a SFO -ICN- BKK flight for 82k miles.     SFO to s. Korea in united Polaris.  But Korea to BKk in Thai airways economy.   I'll just suck up that economy leg just to use those miles.     I will get to check out united Polaris and Polaris lounge in SFO that I never tried before.    I also had to buy a 2nd award flight for 15k miles to position myself from PHX to SFO

Trip 3.  Sept 203.    Finally was able to use my Alaska miles and score a Cathay business class flight from PHX -SFO to BKk for 50k miles.

For my February return had to purchase a PE Japan Airways flight back.  And for may and Sept trip returns home still waiting out award tickets in J or F to open up 

Edited by HimBadMan
  • Like 3

Looks like my February trip is a "go" -- EVA Royal Laurel on the way over (LAX-TPE-BKK); Singapore biz on the way back.

The recent flight schedule issues here in the USA have me constantly rethinking my positioning flight from LAS to LAX.

Currently have an Alaska flight getting in about 4 hours before my EVA flight, but I have credits on anyone/everyone at this juncture, so wondering if I want to spend even MORE time at LAX to be safe. Given the recent shit storms, I am thinking of booking a flight shortly before my Alaska flight and having the Alaska as a fall back in case of cancellation.

I should have good lounge access -- Centurion lounge via AMEX Platinum, Star Alliance given EVA flight, and perhaps Oneworld given Sapphire status (but may need to be flying a Oneworld carrier, so that could be a "no go"). Looks like Priority Pass lost access to the Sky team lounge (although it sucked).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Looks like my February trip is a "go" -- EVA Royal Laurel on the way over (LAX-TPE-BKK); Singapore biz on the way back.

The recent flight schedule issues here in the USA have me constantly rethinking my positioning flight from LAS to LAX.

Currently have an Alaska flight getting in about 4 hours before my EVA flight, but I have credits on anyone/everyone at this juncture, so wondering if I want to spend even MORE time at LAX to be safe. Given the recent shit storms, I am thinking of booking a flight shortly before my Alaska flight and having the Alaska as a fall back in case of cancellation.

I should have good lounge access -- Centurion lounge via AMEX Platinum, Star Alliance given EVA flight, and perhaps Oneworld given Sapphire status (but may need to be flying a Oneworld carrier, so that could be a "no go"). Looks like Priority Pass lost access to the Sky team lounge (although it sucked).

Nice.  What are your dates?

Yes, you will not have OW lounge access..  but thats ok because I like the star alliance lounge much better than the OW business class lounge.      Specifically the outdoor patio and the seats that over look the terminal.

Havent checked out the tom Bradley centurion lounge yet.   But if u have time why not ?    And yes that Korean lounge is/was pathetic..

Leaving late on Saturday, Feb. 4.  Arrive BKK the morning of the 6th.

Staying in BKK at the Sheraton Grande for a few days, before heading to Pattaya (Hilton, then finish up at InterContinental for a few nights to use BOGO and 2 free night certs).

Return on Singapore is the 21st. Short trip and likely stuck working for a good chunk of it.

On my positioning flight, there is a United flight that departs 45 minutes before my current Alaska flight. Cheap enough ticket, but I think they will hit me with bag fees that REALLY increase the fare....although I get those credited back if I use my AMEX Hilton Aspire or Centurion card to pay for them.

One advantage of United is that they should be able to link the itineraries and check my bags all the way through to BKK, since EVA is Star Alliance.

2 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Leaving late on Saturday, Feb. 4.  Arrive BKK the morning of the 6th.

Staying in BKK at the Sheraton Grande for a few days, before heading to Pattaya (Hilton, then finish up at InterContinental for a few nights to use BOGO and 2 free night certs).

Return on Singapore is the 21st. Short trip and likely stuck working for a good chunk of it.

On my positioning flight, there is a United flight that departs 45 minutes before my current Alaska flight. Cheap enough ticket, but I think they will hit me with bag fees that REALLY increase the fare....although I get those credited back if I use my AMEX Hilton Aspire or Centurion card to pay for them.

One advantage of United is that they should be able to link the itineraries and check my bags all the way through to BKK, since EVA is Star Alliance.

Yes!  About the interline baggage.    I just had to do extensive research when I just redeemed my united miles.   I had to buy two award tickets.   But united will let me check my bags in PHX without rechecking in SFO.   Such a welcome relief from AA who will refuse to do this

I'll be in town Feb 15 to 18 (yeah only 4 day trip).   Hope this time we can catch up 

6 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Yes!  About the interline baggage.    I just had to do extensive research when I just redeemed my united miles.   I had to buy two award tickets.   But united will let me check my bags in PHX without rechecking in SFO.   Such a welcome relief from AA who will refuse to do this

I'll be in town Feb 15 to 18 (yeah only 4 day trip).   Hope this time we can catch up 

Alaska was able to check mine through to Singapore because they have an interline agreement. Calling them now to see if they have one with EVA, as well.

The bag fees had me leaning Alaska (free since Sapphire with oneworld), but I forgot about the AMEX airline credits that I could use. I also have a chunk of $$$ in my United Travel Bank from those credits. I was going to just reload it, but now may use for fees.

EDIT:

Sweet! Just called Alaska - they have an interline agreement with EVA, and Rep said I should be able to check my bags all the way through to BKK when I get to LAS.

12 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I’m so paranoid that I do my outbound positioning flights the day before and use points for an airport hotel. Besides being less stressful, I can head to the airport and check-in for my long haul flight at my leisure rather than have a long layover at the airport. On the return, I shoot for a 3-4 hour layover between my long haul flight and the positioning one. If the long haul flight is on time and an earlier positioning flight is available on the same airline I’ve booked, I try to get on that one instead. I’ve been lucky on most of my trips and able to get the domestic legs included on the award although occasionally they’re in coach, particularly with United awards.

12 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

I was about to give you shit for checking luggage for a four day trip 555 then I realized your United trip is not your four day one.

My next trip puts me in Thailand mid-May to early June after some time in Japan. Got my first ‘There’s been a change in your trip’ email from AA last month. It was actually an improvement, so I can’t complain, for now. Planning a fall trip, but haven’t decided where yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bgtp said:

I’m so paranoid that I do my outbound positioning flights the day before and use points for an airport hotel. Besides being less stressful, I can head to the airport and check-in for my long haul flight at my leisure rather than have a long layover at the airport. On the return, I shoot for a 3-4 hour layover between my long haul flight and the positioning one. If the long haul flight is on time and an earlier positioning flight is available on the same airline I’ve booked, I try to get on that one instead. I’ve been lucky on most of my trips and able to get the domestic legs included on the award although occasionally they’re in coach, particularly with United awards.

Turts me - I considered that.

Problem is, my outbound to TPE/BKK leaves around midnight. Even with a late checkout, that would give me a big chunk of time to kill.

On a prior trip, I had some work I needed to do so I flew to SFO early a.m., got a "day/office room" in a nearby hotel and spent my time there until right around check-in time.  WELL worth the $100-125 that I spent on it.