IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

10 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I think award tickets are starting to get really tight.

As I mentioned earlier, I did find a good return for early December. Now, I just need to find an outbound for early November. My hope is still that there will be last minute availability. I tried again yesterday and saw nothing for late October or early November. For fun, I looked at this week and there were some great options on United. I realize it’s nice to plan. On the other hand, the way your work sounds maybe last minute trips when you know things aren’t crazy might work out as opposed to having set dates in mind. I remember one time on a Sunday, I decided I wanted to go to Thailand. Found a round trip AA award that left that Thursday.

46 minutes ago, bgtp said:

As I mentioned earlier, I did find a good return for early December. Now, I just need to find an outbound for early November. My hope is still that there will be last minute availability. I tried again yesterday and saw nothing for late October or early November. For fun, I looked at this week and there were some great options on United. I realize it’s nice to plan. On the other hand, the way your work sounds maybe last minute trips when you know things aren’t crazy might work out as opposed to having set dates in mind. I remember one time on a Sunday, I decided I wanted to go to Thailand. Found a round trip AA award that left that Thursday.

Yep - big change from the past 10+ years.  I used to plan and block the time out. Now I think I am going to need to see openings and jump on them, assuming I can find award availability.

That said, if this project continues to last until the end of the year, I will be VERY happy....and due for a lONG ass trip early next year! 555

Alaska Airlines has a sale on miles for purchase (bonus of 30-60%, as it varies based on luck or other factors?). They seem to have a fantastic set of business class flights from USA. I'm getting Business Class Cathay Pacific out of LA for what equals ~$500 (one-way).

Alaska was my "go to" for Cathay for year, but Cathay's quality has taken a turn for the worse and their availability has been coming up as shit lately.

These days, I would rather burn the 20,000 extra AA miles for each OW because my AA account has growing to a pretty absurd level.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my epic 22 hour journey in Emirates 1st Class on the A380.   Definitely one of the best flights from soft/hard product I've had.   Showering during the flight was definitely a highlight on a flight full of highlights.

The food on board was superb from the unlimited caviar to the unlimited Dom P.  Even had to try a few glasses of a $1300 bottle of Hennessy Paradis.    Needless to say I'm currently in a food /champagne coma while in a Nams taxi to Pattaya.

18 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

Just finished my epic 22 hour journey in Emirates 1st Class on the A380.   Definitely one of the best flights from soft/hard product I've had.   Showering during the flight was definitely a highlight on a flight full of highlights.

The food on board was superb from the unlimited caviar to the unlimited Dom P.  Even had to try a few glasses of a $1300 bottle of Hennessy Paradis.    Needless to say I'm currently in a food /champagne coma while in a Nams taxi to Pattaya.

so what did you pay for/in points and how hard was it to book

9 minutes ago, ThePope said:

so what did you pay for/in points and how hard was it to book

Think it was 197k Emirates SkyPoints.   I booked this trip prior to the recent mile devaluation..  think it's about 20% higher now.    It wasn't that tough for me to find the award..  but could have been luck of the draw. My date was flexible for Feb, and I booked about 6 months out.

All F seats were taken on the LAX to DXB flight and around 60% full from DXB to BKK

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I managed to scoop the 2 EVA seats for me and a buddy as they came available for a trip jan21-feb10 next year. The seats become available at 2000eastern time at 360days out, and they don't both last long as someone usually grabs one within 24h

poor guy only has 18k aeroplan in his account now... and i had to do miles+cash for him so he's complaining of the price

46k baht and 145k aeroplan points for round trip business from Toronto... i was tempted to seat him in economy on the return leg just to prove a point

aircanada doesnt seem to release many international seats at their lowest rate and usually want double or more points if you have to fly AC international. Pretty much leaving EVA and Etihad (books about 11months out) the only good options currently however that may not last as i hear Etihad is releasing a variable points program that is likely to kick up partner award prices too

Its the new normal

After my EVA waitlist flight cleared, I was surprised to see many open seats in Biz class on the flight itself. 

Took me 34 hours door-to-door, but to a horrendous 7-hour layover at SFO and a BRUTAL taxi ride to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit from BKK. I was running on fumes and hopped into bed for a nap as soon as got into my room (around 2:30 p.m.).

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Took me 34 hours door-to-door,

For me, 32 hours is usually the fastest ... 34 hours has become more common.  I've had higher also, but they were not the norm.

I look at travel the same way you do -- door of my USA apartment to door of my Thai house.  It is frustrating to explain to non-travelers that travel time is not "the longest flight" of the trip.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, travelling_man said:

For me, 32 hours is usually the fastest ... 34 hours has become more common.  I've had higher also, but they were not the norm.

I look at travel the same way you do -- door of my USA apartment to door of my Thai house.  It is frustrating to explain to non-travelers that travel time is not "the longest flight" of the trip.

Mine was compounded by the fact that I was up at 4:45 a.m. for work on the day of my departure (6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Zoom mtg). By the time I finally got a nap (after first meal service), I had been up for like 23 hours.

Add in that I don't sleep for shit on flights (got about 4 hours sleep on SFO-TPE leg, which is a lot for me), and I was a fucking zombie when I arrived at the hotel. The 90+ minute drive from BKK to my hotel (next to Terminal 21 in Bangkok) was the icing on the cake.

The nap was crucial, because I had another Zoom from 9 p.m. to 3 a.m. that night.

Luckily none since! 555

• Like 1

BTW, no idea how it will be next year, but EVA still requiring masks on flights as of this month

13 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

BTW, no idea how it will be next year, but EVA still requiring masks on flights as of this month

ANA and airline lounges in Narita were adamant about mask wearing.  I had a stewardess tell me that she and her friends-family don't wear masks in regular life, but they don't have a choice as the airline refuses to remove the requirement.

9 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

After my EVA waitlist flight cleared, I was surprised to see many open seats in Biz class on the flight itself. 

Took me 34 hours door-to-door, but to a horrendous 7-hour layover at SFO and a BRUTAL taxi ride to Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit from BKK. I was running on fumes and hopped into bed for a nap as soon as got into my room (around 2:30 p.m.).

Glad it worked out. How many days prior to you flight did the waitlist clear? 

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

@Luv2Phuket boots on ground now ?

Yes, indeed

8 minutes ago, xc1 said:

Glad it worked out. How many days prior to you flight did the waitlist clear? 

It cleared the morning of Feb. 2 for  flight that left at around midnight on the morning of Feb. 8 (but my positioning flight left the afternoon of the 7th)

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Yes, indeed

It cleared the morning of Feb. 2 for  flight that left at around midnight on the morning of Feb. 8 (but mets y positioning flight left the afternoon of the 7th)

Lets try to connect for lunch or a gogo visit

18 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

Lets try to connect for lunch or a gogo visit

Sounds good - I've been "lubbed up" and pretty much AWOL for the past few days, but should have some time to meet up over the next few days - drop me a PM.

Holy crap!

I don't know where people are seeing last minute award availability, but I have been checking every day (hoping to extend my "lubbed up stay" a few more days), and I am not finding shit!

I thought I had a chance with EVA, but changing my route to waitlisted SFO flight required cancellation and rebooking. Since current award ticket miles expire in March, I am pretty adamant about using them (otherwise, it effectively works out to 150,000 miles OW).

I thought I had a shot to add a day, figuring I would add a night at Hilton, InterContintental or Holiday Inn....ALL completely booked!

In typical "snooze you lose" fashion, that flight was long gone by the time I tried to get it.

On 14/02/2023 at 19:52, Luv2Phuket said:

I am surprised you cant find a SouthWest flight to LAX, SFO or SEA and get a much faster flight.

Las Vegas to LAX or Burbank is a dime a dozen.

Maybe the luggage delima?

Edited by LASportsNut

5 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

I am surprised you cant find a SouthWest flight to LAX, SFO or SEA and get a much faster flight.

Las Vegas to LAX or Burbank is a dime a dozen.

Maybe the luggage delima?

It was my own fault - I built in an absurdly long layover in case of delay/cancellation. 

Someone mentioned going in the night before and relaxing during the day of departure. The problem for me was a midnight departure, so, even with a late checkout, I would’ve had to kill hours upon hours.

As always, concerned about the connection on my return. I have about 3 hours, but I am booked on the LAST flight out of LAX, so, if I miss it, looks like I’ll be trying to use a Hilton or Hyatt award night. THEN I’d have to get a last minute flight to LAS on a Friday….yikes!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Holy crap!

I don't know where people are seeing last minute award availability, but I have been checking every day (hoping to extend my "lubbed up stay" a few more days), and I am not finding shit!

I thought I had a chance with EVA, but changing my route to waitlisted SFO flight required cancellation and rebooking. Since current award ticket miles expire in March, I am pretty adamant about using them (otherwise, it effectively works out to 150,000 miles OW).

I thought I had a shot to add a day, figuring I would add a night at Hilton, InterContintental or Holiday Inn....ALL completely booked!

In typical "snooze you lose" fashion, that flight was long gone by the time I tried to get it.

I just checked United real quick and saw this four days from now BKK-ORD. You'd need a positioning flight for the last leg. Not perfect, but in biz all the way with decent connection times

Screenshot (32).png

Edited by bgtp

Hey guys, you are much more experienced than me in the points/miles game and I appreciate this thread.

My local airport is BNA or Nashville.

Trying to plan first trip to Bangkok and Pattaya. I’m retired so flexible dates.

I’m figuring on positioning as I need to get to Chicago ORD or Dallas DFW (2 closest) or get east coast or west coast cities to take the international flight to Bangkok.

Am I not seeing much for May because it’s too close or do I just need to be looking daily in case something breaks?

Thanks again!

6 minutes ago, Whooah said:

Am I not seeing much for May because it’s too close or do I just need to be looking daily in case something breaks?

It would help if you could be more specific. If you are planning on using miles for the trip, how many do you have available and with what airline or card? Or are you just looking at flight prices?