Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Long Haul Business Class for under $2K (Long Post)

Little Evil

Best redemption I found imo for Amex points is on Cathay.  They have normal schedule business flights for 85k each way but the surcharge is $500.  Only other realistic one I found was on Singapore but it's an additional leg making the trip 30 hours and it's 257k points round trip.  I'd rather pay the $500 with a normal two leg trip.  Doesn't hurt you can stop at The Pier and other lounges in Hong Kong.   

What a fuckng day I have had....

Work blowing up like hand grenades all around me...Drs. appointment shows I have gained 13 lbs in the past 4 months (WTF?!?)...THEN a Judge fucks me by agreeing to push some deadlines back....RIGHT into the start of my February trip.

Fuck me....

Despite being as busy as a one-armed wallpaper hanger, I spent most of the night fucking with ways to pull off my trip.

Ended up paying for JAL PE going over, which, factoring in the credit I had from the last time I booked them, cost me about $370. I paid a little extra to add LAS-LAX leg, but now it's all on one itinerary, so safer if there are delays, etc. (and bags checked all the way through at LAS). That locks in Platinum Pro for me for next year, although I pretty much had it locked in thanks to an extra estimated tax payment I just made.

THEN I realized the Judge pushing everything 7 days also fucked up my return date (something due while I would be flying).

All hail patience and the frequent flyer Gods - I found a biz class award ticket on EVA coming back the next afternoon (which also gets me back one of the nights I had lost). Shocked that I found one that was not waitlisted, but glad I scrolled down the page.

Did some scrambling with hotel points, locked in the extra night at InterContinental, as well as my "new" first night arrival, which is a late night arrival, so just did Holiday Inn Express for 5600 IHG points (vs $39 rate). 

All in all, I think I salvaged it (now 13 nights instead of 15 nights + no stay in Bangkok)....but it could all still unravel at the drop of a hat.

....sigh....

I was thinking about maybe doing a November trip in addition to my May one, so I started poking around on United for award availablity since that's my only airline option for award flights right now. There are decent 99K awards out there. I couldn't find a pair of awards that gave me the desired stay I wanted (4-5 weeks). I found one that gave me 7 weeks. Normally, I'd have taken that, but I'm doing a three-week family vacation just before that. So I passed on the option.

What I did do was lock in the return. 99K miles BKK-FRA-ORD in Thai business and United business. I also got my domestic flight home from ORD included in the award, but it's in coach. Good connection times. The reason I chose to lock in the return instead of the outbound is that I can continue to look for the outbound flight right up to the last day I would consider leaving. If I don't find anything that works, I can just cancel the return. On the other hand, if I locked in the outbound and wanted to wait up until the last day to find a return flight home and nothing was available, I'd have to buy a last minute ticket home.

For curiosity's sake, I decided to take a look at last minute availabilty today. I can fly tomorrow, domestic flight in coach to ORD, than EVA business ORD-TPE-BKK for 103.5K, not bad imo. I'll keep checking throughout the year for a flight, but it may turn out that I don't find one until the last minute. In any case, I'll see how this strategy works. I've got nothing to lose.

I need to scan that last minute availability for my February trip (which remains a complete clusterfuck, due to work)

Fuuuuuck me....work threatening yet again to fuck up my February travel....but there is a light at the end of the tunnel: two EVA flights -- one from SFO and one from LAX -- that would work PERFECT for my schedule. Neither currently available, but can be waitlisted.

Based on a tip from a BM above (sorry, forgot who left it, but thanks!), I went through a paid booking to check out the seats:
 - SFO has 10 seats (out of around 40, so about 25%) left on SFO-TPE;
 - LAX has 6 seats (around 15%) open on LAX-TPE
Both connect to same flight from TPE-BKK, which has an absurd 18 seats available.

Based on that, I used my remaining 75k EVA miles to waitlist the SFO-TPE-BKK flight.

I gotta think about changing my current Feb 4 booking to waitlist the LAX flight, so I at least have 2 balls in the hopper. If I do, I might try to beg plead and see if I can speed up the process.

Feb 4 departure has been looking dead in the water for a while.

I'm busting my hump these days (got a nice 4:30 a.m. Zoom call tomorrow!), so I REALLY need a few days of R&R, even if I have to work for the second week I am there!

Fingers crossed....

FUUUUUUUUCK me....continued! (555)

I have realized that my AA PE itinerary is now pretty fucked - I will not be in bangkok in time for potential meetings on the 9th.  In case you don't know how my luck works, if I;m getting in too late, there WILL be meetings; if I get in early, there will not! 555

AA -- via JAL -- has an itinerary that works very well....for about $3,500....in Premium Economy! Uh...no fucking thank you!

The IDEAL EVA flight is still waitlisted. My attempts to call them today only got a recording that said "we're busy; call back later." WTF?  Still 10 open seats (out of only 38 total) and they just jacked up the price.

I'm considering buying EVA PE on that flight (about $1650 OW), then hoping the waitlist comes through and, if it does, cancelling ($150 refund fee....ouch).

The pros of that: I am assured of going on my trip and hopefully better protection from being fired; may be able to tweak my trip and still get 2 nights in Bangkok (at the cost of 1 night in Pattaya); curious if my odds of an upgrade are better than waitlisted award ticket?

The cons of that: a $1,600 credit on AA (up from $1250); JAL PE kicks the shit outta EVA PE; if I have to cancel, good fucking luck getting EVA on the phone!

There is the option of possibly saving about $100 (maybe less) by flying China Airlines at about the same time (and also through Taipei).  Good reputation, but SeatGuru seems to show EVA PE seat .3 inches wider (pitch the same). Just seems like a lot of trouble for relatively little savings.

EDIT:

I finally got someone from EVA on the phone today. She couldn't do anything - apparently, everything is handled in Taipei, and they are still celebrating Lunar New Year! 555.  She did say my odds of getting the waitlisted ticket look very good. She said I wait a few days and hopefully will hear by Monday.

....but "very good" is NOT "you are booked"! 555

I tweaked my fallback plan:
I went to book the PE ticket. It is $1775, not $1600 - ouch! - but can be cancelled/refunded for a $150 fee. The good news is they have an option to lock in the fare/ticket for 72 hours for $16.

I jumped on that, so I have a few more days to see if the waitlisted ticket comes through. I also can look at doing another booking and trying to see if I can get another 72-hour wait on it.

I'm starting to think this may actually come together....booked a few nights in Bangkok (Marriott certificates) and tweaked my Pattaya reservation to drop 1 night.

You have no idea how happy I am that I do not have your job! That level of constant uncertainty would drive me crazy.

My next trip is a-go departing aug25 on Etihad business YYZ-AUH-BKK with a positioning flight ahead of it on a separate ticket. The return is where im not sure what im doing;

Sep9 (13nights) Etihad business BKK-AUH-YYZ and a separate ticketed positioning flight

Sep15 (18nights) Etihad business again but the BKK-AUH flight is currently not operating but is bookable EY405, so not sure whats going to happen with that. Booked on AC so not sure if the flight is canceled if i will be able to free-change to something available regardless of price; however likely to be difficult to get all J anyway. Maybe rebooked on Etihad in J or Y automatically?

Sep17 (21nights) my fallback position; Y-PY-Y on NH-AC-AC all one itinerary with tighter connections NRT1h35m YYZ2h40m and YYZ has a later flight home (important when dealing with AC)

All flights price around the same; 70k Aeroplan and $900 or so

Reason i have so many returns is im not sure what im doing... 21 days is 7 too many for an all Pattaya/BKK trip... theres a girl i saw a lot on my last trip thats in Phuket now that im getting attached to... Maybe ill end up in scamket for a week....

• Like 3

As if it wasn't complicated enough before, my trip CONTINUES to twist and turn....sigh....

Since someone else is covering for me, I realized I could add a few days to my trip/return, but the only thing available was one the next day on EVA. I didn't think that was worth the hassle.

Then I looked at my EVA account - my balance of 75,000 miles (which was dropped back in when I cancelled a ticket) is/was going to expire March 31. Holy crap!  Now it DEFINITELY was worth the hassle! 555

So I'm avoiding the dreaded expired miles and getting an extra night tacked on at the end of my trip.

STILL fucking with EVA to try to get that waitlisted seat going over (flight departs in about 8 days, so come one! 555). Those fuckers do NOT like to answer the phone! 

I thought  found a backdoor in by calling the SFO Office, but they just transferred me back to the "sorry, our lines are busy. Call back later" line.

....sigh....each time I fuck with something, it seems to cost me $50+.

On 12/01/2023 at 04:25, HimBadMan said:

But Korea to BKk in Thai airways economy.

The bane of award travelers existence -- Thai airways availability from Korea and Narita -- always in economy.  And I have never known them to release seats -- even at boarding.  It doesn't matter to them that you are on a business reward -- if you booked in economy, that is where you are staying.  

I flew last week, business class, from the US to BKK with the first flight on United to NRT.  There were 13 1-k fliers in the business cabin.  I have never seen this many 1-k's on an airplane before.  

The outbound flight from the US was 263,xxx reward miles.  It makes me cry to think about it.  I hope with more planes, reward redemption rates will begin to decrease again.

3 hours ago, travelling_man said:

The bane of award travelers existence -- Thai airways availability from Korea and Narita -- always in economy.  And I have never known them to release seats -- even at boarding.  It doesn't matter to them that you are on a business reward -- if you booked in economy, that is where you are staying.  

I flew last week, business class, from the US to BKK with the first flight on United to NRT.  There were 13 1-k fliers in the business cabin.  I have never seen this many 1-k's on an airplane before.  

The outbound flight from the US was 263,xxx reward miles.  It makes me cry to think about it.  I hope with more planes, reward redemption rates will begin to decrease again.

United is insane how many miles they charge.   Big mistake getting a united CC and trying to burn their miles.   Live and learn I suppose ..   but I will never ever accrue united miles again. (and thank goodness I never even flew delta one time).   People talk shit about AA but at least their award redemptions are reasonable with US to BKk in business in their planes and partner planes being 70k miles 

2 hours ago, travelling_man said:

Using United miles, I’ve been seeing Thai business class award availability for travel via Europe. As I mentioned above, just booked a flight last week for 99K miles. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Using United miles, I’ve been seeing Thai business class award availability for travel via Europe. As I mentioned above, just booked a flight last week for 99K miles. 

I fly out of LAX. Out of curiosity is it a specific hub on the east coast ?

Edit.  I see you are using ORD

Edited by HimBadMan

10 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

I fly out of LAX. Out of curiosity is it a specific hub on the east coast ?

Edit.  I see you are using ORD

Yeah, ORD for that one. For my spring trip, I fly back thru EWR. Both those trips are Thai business-United business-domestic leg in coach included. So, no need to buy a positioning flight. 99K each. TG may not be the greatest, but the complementary massage is nice.

9 hours ago, HimBadMan said:

People talk shit about AA

Hahahahaha.  You don't know me but you do!  Yes, I am one of those people who talk shit about AA.   

I try to fly United *Star exclusively.  I accumulate a lot of miles so it doesn't kill me when I get ripped off like I mentioned ... I just cry a little because I feel the burn.  

We all have our preferences and I'm glad AA is working out for you!

What's worse: having awards at 70,000 miles with NO availability OR charging exorbitant miles for a OW ticket, but having seats? 

I see both sides, but, like it or not, my loyalty -- and a stupidly high warchest of miles -- are with AA.

Just hopped on United's website to see if any last minute availability might pop up for my trip.

There were a couple of good options for 103,500 miles (mixed cabin, but only on short haul positioning flight).  Unfortunately, they all get in about 5 hour too late for me.

STILL waiting on EVA award. I can't figure out WTF they are doing.

I even checked PE award availability. I know from the ticket I booked that it is wide open on one flight (like 70% available), but they still show that flight as waitlisted.

Per my track record, once I buy a ticket, the waitlisted seat will open up for me, so I might as well plunk down the $$$! 555

25 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Per my track record, once I buy a ticket, the waitlisted seat will open up for me, so I might as well plunk down the $$$! 555

if you buy a ticket is it free 24h cancellation? its like that with aircanada even for non-refundable tickets

this close to travel prices shouldn't move too much, you might be able to buy+cancel+rebuy waiting for the seat to open up

6 minutes ago, ThePope said:

if you buy a ticket is it free 24h cancellation? its like that with aircanada even for non-refundable tickets

this close to travel prices shouldn't move too much, you might be able to buy+cancel+rebuy waiting for the seat to open up

EVA has an option where you can hold for 72 hours for $16...which I have taken advantage of 3 times with this itinerary! 555

For domestic airlines, we get 24 hours here in the USA, but I don't think that rule applies to foreign carriers and international travel.

EDIT:

I was wrong - you do have 24 hours, even with foreign carriers:

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/24-hour-flight-cancellation-rule#:~:text=The Department of Transportation's 24,within a one-day window.

Panic set in today....

I checked my EVA account, and it showed that my waitlisted flight had cleared, BUT there is no way to finalize it online. Instead, it said I needed to contact the reservation center....you know, the one where they just keep saying "all lines are busy, call back later."

Also, my "backup" PE booking would expire today at 2:30 p.m.

What number of "Fuuuuuuck!" are we up to now?!?

Found a "backdoor" that got me someone on the line. In a couple of minutes, he was able to lock me in.

Seats selected, as well as meals, so I should be good to go.

Turns out, doing the 72-hour thing was the way to go. It cost me $48 to hold that back-up flight instead of a $150 refund fee if I bought the ticket and then cancelled it, so I look at it as "saving" $102 (trying to ignore the value of my time spent fucking with it, though! 555)

All's well that ends well.

....now all that remains is getting clearance from my work project! 555

• Like 2

Got another There's been a change in your trip. email from AA a little while ago. They think they're doing you a favor by automatically rebooking you on the shortest flight duration available at the time. Sorry, but I don't want a 29 minute connection in my itinerary. Called, not much of a wait time, and got it sorted pretty quickly. Still it's annoying. Three months to go. We'll see how many more times this happens.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, bgtp said:

Got another There's been a change in your trip. email from AA a little while ago. They think they're doing you a favor by automatically rebooking you on the shortest flight duration available at the time. Sorry, but I don't want a 29 minute connection in my itinerary. Called, not much of a wait time, and got it sorted pretty quickly. Still it's annoying. Three months to go. We'll see how many more times this happens.

That pisses me off, too.

There was like a 5-minute change in my flight, so they re-booked me on an earlier one, cutting my connection time. If I wanted the earlier flight, I would've booked it myself when I bought the ticket! 555

In other AA news, I should hit Platinum Pro this year, despite flying AA on rev tickets like twice over the past year. If my calculations are correct, I should clear it by like 200 LPs when my Aviator statement closes on Feb. 5.  Not sure if charges between Feb. 5 and Feb. 28 will count because closing date for card is Mar. 5. I think they will, but not sure - even if they don't, they would roll over for next year.

I had something similar booking via an OTA just over a year ago (I think it was Korean Air), when a flight at 00.10 was retimed to 23.55, ie 23-hours & 45-minutes later on the same day which anyway totally missed the (unchanged) connection in Seoul to Vancouver, if they had just put me on the flight which was now 15-minutes earlier (but the previous day) then all would have been fine.

Luckily I was able to cancel cost-free, my credit-card wasn't debited at all, and to purchase a new ticket for the same flights departing 23.55 on the previous day.

These computers aren't as clever as they're cracked-up to be !  You'd hope they might notice that an onward-connection departed 18-hours before one landed on the inbound-flight  ...  but no !  🙄

My friends sometimes liken me, to that Victor Meldrew on 'One Foot in the Grave', but as I often tell them  "I simply don't believe it " !  😎

Edited by semi-retired member

United's website has always been one of the better ones for booking international or seeing what's available.  I looked at it for searches since the late 2000s.  From LAX I only see crazy redemption mileage amounts too.  Like as in one way is more than a round trip ticket should be. 

• Like 2

I think award tickets are starting to get really tight.

Even though I have no idea if I can go or not, I am seeing NOTHING on AA or Alaska for oneworld availability in November. Alaska had some Mixed Cabin awards, where the Tokyo to BKK legs were economy, but that was about it. I checked SFO and LAX.  I also checked Delta out of SEA and LAS (since Korean does LAS-ICN non-stop), but saw nothing.

I found a couple of spots on Singapore, but the ones with better timing will require an overnight stay in Singapore. There are worse things!  555

The issue with Singapore is a somewhat late arrival at LAX (around 8 p.m.).  That doesn't leave much leeway to catch the last flight out to LAS. If I do a flight with an overnight in Singapore, I can get into LAX before noon or into SFO early in the morning. That allows me to build in a better/safer layover for a positioning flight to get home.