IGNORED

The Golf Club LK Metro

I must admit I don't particularly like the place, don't particularly like the clientele it attracts. The food, however, can be quite superb so I tend to go to Metro bar and order from there. The girls at Metro have the menus and will sort your order out for delivery. Nice food, nice girls and genial host. Spot on

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Behavior breeds behavior…

Were you a smiling happy customer… or an old curmudgeon?

You admit that you had good service and good food… sounds like the latter.

I have been staying at, eating at and playing golf with The Golf Club since it opened; I consider it my “home away from home”. The staff has changed a bit in the last year, but they still reflect the friendly “no-nonsense” style of the owners. They do a lot of business in that small 6 table clubhouse; and they run food to many other guesthouses on the Soi. The fact that they are the preferred caterer of the guesthouses without foodservice should tell you something about the quality of their food and service. It also tells of the jealousy of the other couple of guesthouses that offer food and explains the wireless thing.

The owner who was complaining/moaning about an “illegal driver” is part of the charm of the place; it is called The Golf Club. If you really want to see him go off, ask him about PSC Handicaps… turning the TV’s to wrestling; he is an ex NCAA and US Army champion wrestler; his bar his choice. It is owned primarily by Americans, the food and the sports on the TV reflect that. Who else in town is doing steaks out front on a Weber grill?

The Golf Club and its staff are very much like a good small country club men’s grill (with the added benefit of the DD next door). If you understand that statement you will love the place; if not, there are many other choices.

He was probably complaining about the driver cuz his sucks! Get your game in order John. Be there Apr 21 for lunch. If u can do Siam on Sunday 22 I'm in. Regards, Jeff.

Behavior breeds behavior…

The owner who was complaining/moaning about an “illegal driver” is part of the charm of the place; it is called The Golf Club. If you really want to see him go off, ask him about PSC Handicaps… turning the TV’s to wrestling; he is an ex NCAA and US Army champion wrestler; his bar his choice. It is owned primarily by Americans, the food and the sports on the TV reflect that. Who else in town is doing steaks out front on a Weber grill?

I now realise it is his bar and he can do and say as he damn well pleases. :Finger5::Agree1:

But . . . . . . . common courtesy or good manners would normally suggest you ask if anyone watching the programme that was on (we were) and if so maybe just switch one of the screens to wrestling rather than all of them. But what do I know I am only a paying customer :Bye5: :Bye5:

I really do appreciate someone replying though . :9of10Score:

If it flies, floats or fucks - it will be cheaper to rent !

OK chaps

I thought I would TGC another chance for breakfast

Good start get served by a tall Thai guy who is very polite

Food is served by another young lady - perfectly OK

Then I realise exactly who the problem is in this place - the mid 30's Thai woman with a pony tail - knee length or so check shorts and addidas trainers to match

She has walked past our table several times - not acknowledged us at all - her only two words are as our empty plates sit in front of us

"you finish" I reply "Kop Khun Krup"

Absolutely no response or would you like anything else perhaps another coffee - nada -

So herein lies the problem

Besides that food was as good as always

I too eat regularly at the Golf Club because the food (and breakfast in particular) is so damn good.

Sure, the waitresses are surly and not very friendly and the whole place has a cliquey club feel to it (not surprisingly).

But I will keep eating there as the food is so damn good.

I ate mostly breakfast at TGC probably ten times last month. The food is really good and no problems with the service.

Sometimes it did feel like the servers were not that happy but I could usually get a smile with a smile. One day a waitress said to the other "I too hot, don't bother me". When she came to my table I told her that I was too hot and not to bother me. She cracked up laughing!

I agree with a previous post about the Metro (Apartments) Bar. Really good service and fun! They have The Golf Club menus and it is no problem for the food to come over to you and then you can finish with a delicious irish coffee from the Metro Bar.

I stayed at the Metro Apartments last month. Good times. Cheers to owner Dennis, his wife and the always friendly staff.

Went here once around 3.10 PM. Asked for breakfast, got told it wasn't served after 3 PM (first time I've been unable to buy late breakfast anywhere, but that's fine as it's written in the menu) and ordered some thai food for the girl and a club sandwich and fries for myself. The sandwich was OK, but the fries were terrible and the thaifood the girl ordered wasn't close to finished as she said it was shit.

edit; If you're like me and want late breakfast I often had it at Chow Soy, and the International (?) behind Triangle bar is very good

Last time I was here (Aug 2011) I got a chicken red curry for about 70 baht and it was wonderful. Went to look at the details about the golf on the board and a North American guy who I think was the owner came over and chatted to me about how to join up. Very helpful and friendly. Can't remember about the service.

Don't tend to sit outside and stare at the DD girls as I feel a bit self conscious. They're a bit close. Also my bird is usually with me and she doesn't know I have been in a few times. Don't want them waving over.

I must give credit where credit is due

Have been there in the evenings and it is a totally different experience - the guy who does the bbq literally falls over himself to serve you - the bbq is great - can recommend the Pork Chop - the waitresses are very friendly too

So in essence it is only one member of staff who works in the mornings letting the side down - unless its one of the owners other half personally I would get rid - however TiT.....

Great Kudos to you "socrates" you have had a bad experience but you have gone back and written a glowing report on the place. I tip my hat to you sir and very much hope i could do the same following a bad experience. :Clap9:

Socrates, the morning lass is Joy. And she can be a "joy" early in the morning. Yes, very hot and cold. Sometimes gives me the evil eye and I KNOW she likes me. So I get you. The Sportsman has one just like her. Hmmm, wonder if she has a sister :GoldenSmile1:

The tall guy serving is the cooks husband. A good guy. And the BBQ guy is fantastic. He is a fanatic Man U fan and always cheerful.

Socrates, the morning lass is Joy. And she can be a "joy" early in the morning. Yes, very hot and cold. Sometimes gives me the evil eye and I KNOW she likes me. So I get you. The Sportsman has one just like her. Hmmm, wonder if she has a sister :GoldenSmile1:

The tall guy serving is the cooks husband. A good guy. And the BBQ guy is fantastic. He is a fanatic Man U fan and always cheerful.

The BBQ guy is from Nepal. He is the best! His service is second to none. Can't wait to get back next month.

Going to nip in for the bbq next time. Drink (singha) very reasonable too if I remember correctly.

Went here once around 3.10 PM. Asked for breakfast, got told it wasn't served after 3 PM (first time I've been unable to buy late breakfast anywhere, but that's fine as it's written in the menu) and ordered some thai food for the girl and a club sandwich and fries for myself. The sandwich was OK, but the fries were terrible and the thaifood the girl ordered wasn't close to finished as she said it was shit.

edit; If you're like me and want late breakfast I often had it at Chow Soy, and the International (?) behind Triangle bar is very good

I am really surprised. My TGF loves the Thai food there and always wants to eat there.

I am really surprised. My TGF loves the Thai food there and always wants to eat there.

We had two TG's with us - we asked the owner if they could eat cart food whilst we ordered off the BBQ menu - or if he wanted a cover charge - he said it was fine they could eat their own food and we could order off the menu and there was no extra charge - they even gave them plates and cutlery - obviously we left a generous tip

Surprisingly good for local beef

Retired

Very true! The pork chop rox!

• 2 weeks later...

I always sit and have a drink in the Metro, and they order the food from the Golf Club and it's delivered.

Best of both worlds then.

Very true! The pork chop rox!

:D

• 1 month later...

I like the Golf Club...ok I'm a golfer but Iv'e never played with the guys there so I'm not one of the "in crowd", nevertheless its far from unfriendly...I have even tried my rakish charm on with one of the hot waiteresses. There is a Thai lad who seems to supervise things and he is very friendly and chatty (for a Man U fan lol)....but the key issue is the grub, quite simply top notch!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK chaps

I thought I would TGC another chance for breakfast

Good start get served by a tall Thai guy who is very polite

Food is served by another young lady - perfectly OK

Then I realise exactly who the problem is in this place - the mid 30's Thai woman with a pony tail - knee length or so check shorts and addidas trainers to match

She has walked past our table several times - not acknowledged us at all - her only two words are as our empty plates sit in front of us

"you finish" I reply "Kop Khun Krup"

Absolutely no response or would you like anything else perhaps another coffee - nada -

So herein lies the problem

Besides that food was as good as always

I went there last week and got the same response - I did try to crack a joke and she looked at me as if I had just FARTED - I asked if I could have the password for my laptop and she gave me the wrong one - how sweet - when we asked for white suger instead of brown she really wasn't happy dragging herself away from the T.V. .

The food was very good but I have no idea why the bosses employ somebody who doesn't want to serve Falangs and looses them customers.

I have used the Golf Club since it first opened, and there is no doubt the level of service is now far away from what it used to be.

Its the old story of the 3 stages of a business in Pattaya.

Year 1 : Enthusiasm and a willing to please.

Year 2 : Relief

Year 3+ Eye of the ball, and then the staff start taking over.

As much as I like John-Steve-John, they seem oblivious to what is happening around them, especially the service to customers that are not part of their golfing clique, some of which I have seen over the last year, you could only describe as pretty nasty.

How they have put up with the girl that works behind the bar for so long being the biggest puzzle.

But lets be honest, their small bar is busy enough anyway, so why should they care ?

• 7 months later...

Just visited the Golf Club after reading this thread... and it was excellent.

It's a weds so its one of their BBQ nights where the chef is out front working the Weber grill.

I had the rack of ribs, along with fries and corn on the cob (295 baht). Everything was verrrry good. The ribs especially!

As for staff attitude, they were quick and courteous. When finishing up my dinner the owner must have noticed I was a new face and came over to introduce himself, asked how my meal was, and made some small talk.

I'm not a golf fan at all so I don't have much to talk about with the regulars, but that won't stop me from going back soon.... great food and great attitude.

Archived