IGNORED

Fake watches

Glenn A

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have over the years bought many 'fake' watches. The quality is now crap by comparison - i don't care where they come from in Thailand. Anyone who has a clue what a real Rolex or TAG looks like can tell them a mile off - forget the sweeping movement etc. They are really just cheap crap that Falangs pay a ridiculous amount of money for. Some watches (not copies) can be bought very cheaply (I mean 100 Bt) and will work for years. My honest advice is forget the copies.

Is it worth buying a fake Rolex out there and will it work as well as the real thing? I know the fake shirts my friend Eric bought me out there 5 years ago are still in a good condition.

Glenn,

The two basics are that it will not work as well as the real thing and even if it did, you will know that it is not the real thing - so you will be fooling yourself. IMHO it is not worth the money, whilst buying a real one probably is - it will be with you for the rest of your life.

I think there are several ways to crack this nut. To be honest the fakes in Thailand come in several different forms.

Bad Fake (25% real look/quality): Can be had everywhere from vendors to guys hitting you up in the bar. Poor quality, shitty material, obvious fakes, don't expect it to fool anyone or last very long. Cost: 500-1000 Baht

Good Fake (50% real look/quality): Can be found in the back of legitimate watch stores or at street booths. Much more realistic looking but still made from shit materials. You really have to look close but you can see the small details are off. They will usually last for a few years and may fool some of your friends but the bands are usually still poor quality and don't dare take them in water. Cost: 1000-2500 Baht

Decent Replica (75% real look/quality): These can be found at Jack's place or MBK as mentioned earlier in this thread. They are about 75-90% realistic replicas. Sometimes made with similar materials and movement as the real thing. Details are usually spot on with only a few minor errors. Weight is about the same as the real thing. These watches sometimes come with the expensive looking boxes and papers like the real thing. It will fool 99% of your friends and you will almost forget it's a fake since you will be paying a good chunk of money for it. Cost: 2000-10,000 Baht

Great Replica (90+% real look/quality): These can also be found at MBK, 3rd floor; not sure if jack has them?). They are nearly exact copies of the real thing. Many feature the same exotic materials, same expensive movement, almost always come with documentation and fancy box. You have to be a real expert to distiquish from the real thing. In some cases you could have them side by side and even an expert would have a hard time telling them apart. Rumor has it there is a factory somewhere (probably China)that actually buys the real one and takes it apart piece by piece and then makes thousand of perfect copies for the high end replica market. I know several of the BM are huge watch lovers and rave about the quility of these. Cost: 10,000-20,000 Baht

I hope this helps better explain the watch market in Thailand to everyone. Of course there are fakes up and down the scale. If it's a very popular model, then some Great Replicas can be found for much cheaper prices and some vendors will try to upsale you throughout the range. From what I've heard, Jack and MBK are honest brokers and will tell you where in the range a given watch falls. They may even have the same watch with several versions so you can see how the range of quality differs depending on the cost. Happy hunting and I hope this helps. Big Chris

Excellent post ftom BigChris above.

Those who condemn all fakes/copies as crap have probably bought from the shoulder tappers.

For those advocating the real thing, fine, I have a Tag, but it's safe in farang land. Fortunately, most thieves here will assume all watches are fake, but that may not stop them parting you from your real one anyway. IMO good copies are good value for that reason alone.

There is definitely a quality difference in replica watches. I paid 1000 baht for a submariner a year ago and it still looks great and keeps time accurately. It has been more difficult to find them on the street now, but if you ask for a quality replica they will find you one. Compare the replicas you will see the quality difference.

Glenn,

The two basics are that it will not work as well as the real thing and even if it did, you will know that it is not the real thing - so you will be fooling yourself. IMHO it is not worth the money, whilst buying a real one probably is - it will be with you for the rest of your life.

Good for fooling some slapper at home, though, who wouldn't know the difference. However, a real Rolex should last a lifetime bearing in mind some cost the same as a new Ford Mondeo, which probably won't last 13 years.

i bought 2 fake rolexs last year,still working perfect,but as what was said it would pay you to have a look around in the shops,could pick up a real bargain

A decent quality "fake" Submariner is on my purchase list next trip.

"Great Replica (90+% real look/quality): These can also be found at MBK, 3rd floor; not sure if jack has them?). They are nearly exact copies of the real thing. Many feature the same exotic materials, same expensive movement, almost always come with documentation and fancy box. You have to be a real expert to distiquish from the real thing. In some cases you could have them side by side and even an expert would have a hard time telling them apart. Rumor has it there is a factory somewhere (probably China)that actually buys the real one and takes it apart piece by piece and then makes thousand of perfect copies for the high end replica market. I know several of the BM are huge watch lovers and rave about the quility of these. Cost: 10,000-20,000 Baht"

re the above there is a guy in Pattaya that does these his name is Mr Wong and he has a shop at the back of the fish market on pattaya south road on the same side as Tuk Com going towards Walking Street

He was actually busted years ago in BKK as his Rolex copies were too good, they made an example of him and took his shop cars house and cleaned his bank accounts out. He moved down to pattaya a few years ago and those that know him would not buy anywhere else

on his rolex watches he pressure tests them in water to make sure the seals are good

His top of the range ones are about 10-14,000 depending on the model. I know guys from back home that have the real deal and they could not tell the difference. One guy wanted to put it in a pint glass full of water for 30 minutes which I agreed to and his face was a picture when it came out working

give him a try he is very very good and if wnything does go wrong even years later he will fix

"Great Replica (90+% real look/quality): These can also be found at MBK, 3rd floor; not sure if jack has them?). They are nearly exact copies of the real thing. Many feature the same exotic materials, same expensive movement, almost always come with documentation and fancy box. You have to be a real expert to distiquish from the real thing. In some cases you could have them side by side and even an expert would have a hard time telling them apart. Rumor has it there is a factory somewhere (probably China)that actually buys the real one and takes it apart piece by piece and then makes thousand of perfect copies for the high end replica market. I know several of the BM are huge watch lovers and rave about the quility of these. Cost: 10,000-20,000 Baht"

re the above there is a guy in Pattaya that does these his name is Mr Wong and he has a shop at the back of the fish market on pattaya south road on the same side as Tuk Com going towards walking Street

He was actually busted years ago in BKK as his Rolex copies were too good, they made an example of him and took his shop cars house and cleaned his bank accounts out. He moved down to pattaya a few years ago and those that know him would not buy anywhere else

Whats his shop called mate ill have a look next time im in town.

on his rolex watches he pressure tests them in water to make sure the seals are good

His top of the range ones are about 10-14,000 depending on the model. I know guys from back home that have the real deal and they could not tell the difference. One guy wanted to put it in a pint glass full of water for 30 minutes which I agreed to and his face was a picture when it came out working

give him a try he is very very good and if wnything does go wrong even years later he will fix

All ive got in this world are my word and my balls and i dont break them for nobody

Money Number 1

re the above there is a guy in Pattaya that does these his name is Mr Wong and he has a shop at the back of the fish market on pattaya south road on the same side as Tuk Com going towards walking Street

Does Mr Wong have a shop at the back of the fish market ? I went in there the other day and couldn't find him.

If your looking for good quality watches try the place next to Mike Shopping Mall,as you pass Mike's entrance on beach road it's the first stall,shop you can walk inside,it also sells t shirts,jeans etc.Just tell him you want a watch and he will take you and show you the watches in a room.

it´s not easy to get the real good ones in pattaya.

jack in soi buokhao have sometimes good ones.

if you look for the first class you have to look in bkk in mbk or chinatown.

the first class rolex is arround 6000-1000 baht.

have a daytone for now over 2 years with working chrono automatic, very hard to spot as fake, get her for 7000 baht.

Does Mr Wong have a shop at the back of the fish market ? I went in there the other day and couldn't find him.

right at the back of the fish market still there every day up front casios etc but just ask and the good stuff comes out

Am i misreading the figures, or are people really saying they pay upto twenty thousand baht(thats nearly £400GB or just over $600US)for a fake????? :Laugh1:

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

• 2 weeks later...

Living part time in NYC is interesting. Go to Chinatown, times Square or anywhere near MACY'S and you hear Nigerian accented "Rolex, Rolex, Muvado" spoken constantly. It's unreal.

Recently I decided to buy a crap fake Rolex for my niece. They asked a ridiculous $45. I handed him $10 and said that was all he'd get. I got the watch. The next day I noticed my friend had a cool Breitling Bentley on his wrist. I knew he couldn't afford one. Turns out it was a fake. A nice looking one too, despite it not looking like the exact model. It was more of a hybrid of three Bentley models.

Last week I picked up three "replicas" from Chinatown sellers. Two Breitlings and one Omega. I never found any realistic looking Rolex fakes. They were all clearly battery operated with tick tick second hands. No sweeping motion. Laughable. The two Breitlings were nice looking, but they are plated, not stainless and WILL wear over time. $45 each. In just a few days I have received more compliments on it than I thought possible. Most had never heard of Breitling before and were just blown away with the look of the thing.

The Omega Seamaster is stainless and very high quality. No, I wouldn't swim with it. That would likely be fatal to the watch, but at $60 it is a nice gift for my dad.

There was an amazing Patek Phillip replica, but the guy wouldn't go below $65 and I passed. It was just too risky to spend that much not knowing just good good the timing was. I did pick up a lower quality one for $30. That one will go to a friend of mine who has a watch that looks so old and worn out I can't stand the look of the thing.

The stories about replicas in this thread are fascinating. I was never a watch man recently.

Oh, a side note... Fake Louis Vuitton bags are EVERYWHERE here in NYC. It's insane. From a distance most look real, but as soon as you look inside, they just fall apart. I have a funny story on this topic, but will have to talk on it later.

I have not taken a picture of the Omega yet.

breitlings.jpg

breitling_back.jpg

phillipe_geneve03.jpg

phillipe_geneve_back.jpg

right at the back of the fish market still there every day up front casios etc but just ask and the good stuff comes out

Excellent quality replicas at a fraction of the prices being quoted on here.

My father still has the SS Rolex submariner I bought in 1993.

The key with fake watches is where they are made. The Taiwanese made watches are the top shelf as opposed to those with japanese insides

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

I would highly recommend Sarahs watch shop over Mr Wong who has been known to be a bit dodgy in the past

I have copied below from another site to save me trying to explain location

If you are buying more than one watch then you should get price at about 50% of marked price. Once again only buy the Taiwanese watches

"Place yourself at the intersection of 2nd road and South Pattaya Road.

Walk east on the south side of South Pattaya about 250 yards, and you will come to the area where there are a shitload of fruit merchants, gold shops , and lots of people eating at the places that have a lot of foods cooking in big pots. The smells will direct you this area.

Now, behind the fruit vendors are the produce and fresh fish market . This is also a market selling clothes, other apparel, and the watch lady has her business in this complex as well. Once you find the fish market you are close indeed. Toward the rear of this market, and east of the fish/produce market is the watch lady. All she sells is watches, and the kiosk is about 10by10. I usually get into this market by stopping at a pharmacy for some Valium, whose back door leads directly to the market and the watch lady.

Tell her that you want to see the "good watches" She will go behind the counter or send her son(he has a cocked eye, you will recognize him straight away) for the quality knock-offs".

Thank Jimmybb for the directions,could not have put it better myself.

Like I have said avoid Mr Wong he is a rip-off merchant.

Looking at this photo,

http://www.pattayaphotoguide.com/?fstRUcMpkctD

you will see above the baht bus, to the left of the market, the word pharmacy on a sign attached to a green building with a blue awning.

Go into the market, walk to the "T" intersection and turn left, in otherwords the aisle that runs up to the back of that pharmacy.

Once you are roughly at about the back of the pharmacy you will see an aisle to your right.

Turn right and follow the aisle for about 50m, you will then see a watch counter on your right once you get past clothing etc.

The directions on page 2 are spot on as I did not have any trouble finding Sara from them."

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

ZARAH WATCH SHOP`

65/51 Moo 10 Watchaingkoi Market ,South Pattaya .Tel 038 713096; Fax038 713097

Archived