IGNORED

Why are indians disliked in pattaya?

Mat Cauthon

23 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

I will respectfully disagree as my ex-GF had an Uncle who despised farangs.

To a point where he would only speak Thai (he was fluent in English) and demanded I learn to speak, read and write in Thai. 

I refused to participate in his mind games and ignored him.

Yeah, but that doesn’t mean all are like that. I know loads of Thai’s and none I know are racist towards westerners.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My wife does not like foreigners of any type, mostly because she dealt with way too many drunken assholes over the years. Sometimes they were assholes to start with, and sometimes alcohol turned them into assholes. Either way, she doesn't like foreigners.

Indians on the other hand, she grew up around, especially around the Sikh temple on Soi 17. As a result, she loves Indian food and is reasonably tolerant towards Indians.

However ... she tells me that Thai people don't like Indians. When I ask why, I'm told because they smell bad, because they don't like women, and because in large groups, they have no manners.

33 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

I will respectfully disagree as my ex-GF had an Uncle who despised farangs.

To a point where he would only speak Thai (he was fluent in English) and demanded I learn to speak, read and write in Thai. 

I refused to participate in his mind games and ignored him.

Thanks for the respect Greg, perhaps the exception that proves the rule. For my part, I never had to deal with this kind of attitude.

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I bought the crew dinner instead and said I was saddened by the racism that they had been subjected to. I meant it.

++++++

11 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Also, when I was working in India I occasionally heard intelligent well educated men making comments like "all Thai and Filipino women are sluts". The girls know how to read men's attitudes.    

Its unfortunate that these guys were denied entry, but Indians have a reputation for treating the women poorly and frequently trying to arrange group sex sessions with the girls to save a buck. You pitched up with a pack of them and those guys would have looked exactly like the troublemakers they would have had issues with in the past. You were also saddened by the racism they had to experience, yet they are as guilty of stereotyping the Thai and Filipino women themselves. They do the exact same thing the Thai do. 

I have zero sympathy anymore, just like I have zero sympathy for the rampaging Brits that have developed a reputation for football hooliganism and their stag/hen parties. 

Its up to them to change their behavior and peoples perceptions of them, its not up to you to scold other people to the point where they just tolerate and accept their poor behavior.

• Like 3

I have noticed when Arabic families are checking in for their flight, there is always some sort of heated argument and some drama.  Have noticed this a few times and always wonder what on earth it could be about. You have your ticket and your passport , then just wait for your boarding pass. What on earth could be happening? Even when you get to the gate, I have noticed heated discussions with staff before the gate is even open; about what? It’s odd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snowbird said:

High priced drinks in Indian bars does not = they are all big spenders.

The Thai government has long recognized that on average, Indians and Chinese are bigger spenders than Americans, Brits, Australians, Japanese, Taiwanese, Canadians……..

4AE50991-E82F-4CB9-8E8C-87BACB25BFD2.png

29EA3CA3-4ECE-4A2D-B6F3-25548E21BD55.png

D3AA1DD5-43C5-4C6F-A6F7-E7B2A1AE95E5.png

• Haha 3

That is clearly misleading though. There is no way people from Myanmar, Nepal or Cambodia are spending more than western tourists on a daily basis.

Edited by Herbby

30 minutes ago, Herbby said:

That is clearly misleading though. There is no way people from Myanmar, Nepal or Cambodia are spending more than western tourists on a daily basis.

Like with the false perception of Indians, so you thought.

I do not know if this is racism or xenophobia or other thing. Maybe just something difference. This is just they prefer Thai and give a preference to their peoples. No problem for me with that. They are really tolerant in their behaviours. Much more than a lot of other cultures. 

Maybe this is even good because they are proud of their nation and kingdom. I am sure for most of the girls they prefer young Koreans or Japanese than big boys from England. That is just their taste. And I can understand. In terms of identity for a nation maybe this is even better. Especially with tons of tourism each year. 

add to that I guess this is also hard to leave all the time with so many tourists. Good things they bring money but also they bring their vision of the world. Definitely Thai are tolerant face to face but in their deep what they feel exactly? Especially with group without money from India. They want now to select the tourists they come. They want to elevate the social class of the tourist. They want to select. And that type of group from India are not in their target. That is simple for me. 

The only thing I really know about Thai this is really hard to know or understand what they feel exactly. The culture is so different for me. They need the money from tourism but tourism have also bad aspects for them and could explain some feelings we saw. Especially with ones than do not bring enough money to be supported. At the end this is a deal and a contract. We pay money to be accepted and enjoying their lands and women. 

do not forget in Thailand a foreigner will never be authorized to buy a ground. That have sens but it explains a lot also on how they think and the how they want to protect them. 

At the end maybe this is just a form of protection. Nothing bad with that. I will not like also to have that type of group of Indians with no money and un respectful most of the time in my country.

Problems occur when foreigners try to force values and habits while visiting other countries, sometimes we all feel that procedures could be more efficient, experienced traveler adapt to local procedures.

6 hours ago, dogblower said:

My wife does not like foreigners of any type

From your comments you don’t sound like a Thai, so I guess your wife doesn’t like you ether. 

5 hours ago, Whalley said:

It’s not that false. Obviously, it is a broad brush point and certainly doesn’t include all Indians. Many are great people. But you do see much of the above points quite a lot in Thailand, particularly with groups.

7 hours ago, Whalley said:

That chart is rubbish. I don't know where that data came from but Bangladesh being one of the poorest countries in the world per capita and outspending Koreans ? I'm sure there are a few more wealthy people who are the tourists but this was suppposedly them as a group, rubbish.

I have heard from 3 different female cashiers from retail stores that repeat the type of comments above and the hong thong. I have personally witnessed it, and you think presenting some fake chart changes what the rest of the world sees? They are banned because they spend too much money🤣, in what world does that make sense?

I love it when I go to a bar and 5 Indians are standing there ringing the bell, each person 😁.  Oh yeah I have never been in a bar when they rang the bell.😏 Walking in standing in front of me buying nothing until a waitress told them buy a drink or leave, yes more than once. Buying lots of ladies drinks ring the bell...never.

7 hours ago, Herbby said:

It’s not that false. Obviously, it is a broad brush point and certainly doesn’t include all Indians. Many are great people. But you do see much of the above points quite a lot in Thailand, particularly with groups.

5 hours ago, snowbird said:

That chart is rubbish. I don't know where that data came from but Bangladesh being one of the poorest countries in the world per capita and outspending Koreans ? I'm sure there are a few more wealthy people who are the tourists but this was suppposedly them as a group, rubbish.

I have heard from 3 different female cashiers from retail stores that repeat the type of comments above and the hong thong. I have personally witnessed it, and you think presenting some fake chart changes what the rest of the world sees? They are banned because they spend too much money🤣, in what world does that make sense?

I love it when I go to a bar and 5 Indians are standing there ringing the bell, each person 😁.  Oh yeah I have never been in a bar when they rang the bell.😏 Walking in standing in front of me buying nothing until a waitress told them buy a drink or leave, yes more than once. Buying lots of ladies drinks ring the bell...never.

You would see it differently and call it for what it is, “racism” if the shoe was on the other foot.

If Russians were travelling to Thailand in groups and behaving badly and all white people were banned from bars and clubs and white people were shunned by the Thai ladies for the bad behaviour of the Russians you’d be screaming loudly that this is racism.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whalley said:

If Russians were travelling to Thailand in groups and behaving badly

U mean like the Brits traveling to Spain on Ryan?

7 hours ago, Herbby said:

How do you even know they are Indian?   Is it a presumption because they have brown skin?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• davidge locked this topic