IGNORED

Looking for condo for long term rental

davidge

With arrival getting closer I looked at some agent websites and sent enquiries about condos on 2 of them. Much more positive response than from my previous enquiries with other agents.

TownCountry were excellent in their response. The unit I enquired about was no longer available - this is quite common as one property can be with several agents and owners don’t inform everyone when they’re rented. However, the agent took note of what I said I wanted and made the effort to send property details of condos that actually matched what I’m looking for. I’ve arranged to call into the office when I arrive so I can view what’s available.

Gecko also responded quickly. Again, the particular condo was no longer available but she was quick to send details of other properties. Perhaps not quite as careful as the other agent to weed out less suitable ones, but good enough and I’ll contact her when I arrive.

I think I’ve got about a dozen places on my viewing list now. I’m just hoping I make the right decision when I get there as I’m not in the best frame of mind, but I can always move after a year if feel I want to.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

On 29/10/2022 at 11:37, davidge said:

With arrival getting closer I looked at some agent websites and sent enquiries about condos on 2 of them. Much more positive response than from my previous enquiries with other agents.

TownCountry were excellent in their response. The unit I enquired about was no longer available - this is quite common as one property can be with several agents and owners don’t inform everyone when they’re rented. However, the agent took note of what I said I wanted and made the effort to send property details of condos that actually matched what I’m looking for. I’ve arranged to call into the office when I arrive so I can view what’s available.

Gecko also responded quickly. Again, the particular condo was no longer available but she was quick to send details of other properties. Perhaps not quite as careful as the other agent to weed out less suitable ones, but good enough and I’ll contact her when I arrive.

I think I’ve got about a dozen places on my viewing list now. I’m just hoping I make the right decision when I get there as I’m not in the best frame of mind, but I can always move after a year if feel I want to.

If VT2A is still rocking your boat (I own a condo there so am biased!)- but it is very well run, great pool and right next to baht bus routes. Phil Christy owns 7 units I seem to remember so he might cut a deal. 

http://philcristy.com/

On 30/06/2022 at 16:49, davidge said:

I’m posting this far too early, and might decide to hide it again until later on, but it gives me a chance to test the ground before posting on Facebook - and no doubt getting lots of unsuitable offers!

Also, gives me something to look forward to later in the year while I’m dealing with rather a lot here at the moment.

So, any early offers welcome or (polite) suggestions about what I’m asking for and how I’m framing it. :)

Here goes:

Condo - Long Term Rental Wanted

Jomtien in the area around the arch and Hanuman Statue - see map.

I arrive mid-November and will stay in a hotel for up to a week to give time to look at condos. I am looking for a very long term rental with 12-month renewable contract.

I am prepared to pay 6-months or even 12-months rent upfront for a good discount.

I have friends in Pattaya who could look at some condos for me before I arrive if necessary.

Minimum 40sqm. I would prefer a separate bedroom but would consider a large studio.

Comfortable, well maintained & equipped with a decent western kitchen (oven a bonus), very big tv, very good internet, washing machine. Government rate for electricity and water.

Owner must be willing to file TM30 and provide other paperwork for Immigration as required.

If VT2A, VT5D, VT7 then I would prefer Pattaya side. If Jomtien Complex Condo then I would prefer the tower nearer Thappraya. If Neo Condo then I would prefer at front of building with view down Soi to Thappraya. Not necessarily a deal breaker though.

Other buildings in this area also considered but not VT1, not VT2B, not VT5C and not Jomtien Plaza Condo. Not Grand Condotel nor Jomtien Condotel either. 

I would be a quiet tenant who would take good care of the condo. I do not smoke. I am intending this to be an ongoing rental for many years if possible so am looking for a very good deal on rent. 🙂

I will try to reply to all messages but please do not be offended if I ignore offers for condos that are clearly in the wrong area.

F483D01F-6D6B-4AB4-8A03-91D1772ADEF7.jpeg

High floors Pattaya side suffer from the traffic noise from Theprassit Road but are cooler as it's on the dark side during the high season. Though it flips around in the summer. 

Edited by bsand

2 minutes ago, bsand said:

If VT2A is still rocking your boat (I own a condo there so am biased!)- but it is very well run, great pool and right next to baht bus routes. Phil Christy owns 7 units I seem to remember so he might cut a deal. 

http://philcristy.com/

Thanks. It’s my ‘budget’ option if I don’t find what I want in my preferred buildings. I know it’s popular and has a lot going for it but I’ve just found it too ‘busy’ the couple of times I’ve stayed there. Always seems to be a crowd around the lobby and too many bloody kids :rolleyes:

Just now, bsand said:

High floors Pattaya side suffer from the traffic miose from T

Whereas Jomtien side gets house from the Complex - at least I did when I stayed that side.

Studios there are going for 8-9k now so it would save me money. Lots available as I’ve seen at least a dozen on Facebook groups.

5 minutes ago, davidge said:

Thanks. It’s my ‘budget’ option if I don’t find what I want in my preferred buildings. I know it’s popular and has a lot going for it but I’ve just found it too ‘busy’ the couple of times I’ve stayed there. Always seems to be a crowd around the lobby and too many bloody kids :rolleyes:

Whereas Jomtien side gets house from the Complex - at least I did when I stayed that side.

Studios there are going for 8-9k now so it would save me money. Lots available as I’ve seen at least a dozen on Facebook groups.

Fair comments I don't mind the kids it's a bit like a village in the sky. Quite 'gay' to a degree as well not that that's a problem in anyway. Yes the noise leakage from the bar complex across the road is pain for some. We got double glazing put in a couple of years ago and it cut it down massively. VT2B is more residential and 'sedate' if that's your thing but a longer walk to the  road. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bsand said:

Fair comments I don't mind the kids it's a bit like a village in the sky. Quite 'gay' to a degree as well not that that's a problem in anyway. Yes the noise leakage from the bar complex across the road is pain for some. We got double glazing put in a couple of years ago and it cut it down massively. VT2B is more residential and 'sedate' if that's your thing but a longer walk to the  road. 

2B is too far from the road for me but 2A is an option. It depends what I can find in a couple of other buildings. I’ve seen some nice condos but a bit overpriced so I’ll see if I can push a deal when I’m there.

One thing about 2A is that you really don’t need to leave the building if you don’t want to as there’s pretty much everything on site. I’ve never been impressed with the attitude of security though tbh.

5 minutes ago, davidge said:

2B is too far from the road for me but 2A is an option. It depends what I can find in a couple of other buildings. I’ve seen some nice condos but a bit overpriced so I’ll see if I can push a deal when I’m there.

One thing about 2A is that you really don’t need to leave the building if you don’t want to as there’s pretty much everything on site. I’ve never been impressed with the attitude of security though tbh.

The fat geezer at the desk is a bit of a lazy oaf but he and the others do their job at making sure strangers leave their id so it would be difficult to sneak woman if if that's what you are after. But there are plenty of "takeaways" in the building for sure it's not a problem. The gate security are only interested in vehicles not walkups. I'm on the line chat group  for the building which has about 110 members so if you ever  want me to post a requirement - feel free to post/pm me !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bsand said:

The fat geezer at the desk is a bit of a lazy oaf but he and the others do their job at making sure strangers leave their id so it would be difficult to sneak woman if if that's what you are after. But there are plenty of "takeaways" in the building for sure it's not a problem. The gate security are only interested in vehicles not walkups. I'm on the line chat group  for the building which has about 110 members so if you ever  want me to post a requirement - feel free to post/pm me !

No problem about guests leaving ID etc just found the attitude of some of the guys on the door to be rather unhelpful and unfriendly, and they’re more interested in chatting to other Thais in the lobby than in doing their job. Only stayed twice though. No big deal.

2 minutes ago, davidge said:

No problem about guests leaving ID etc just found the attitude of some of the guys on the door to be rather unhelpful and unfriendly, and they’re more interested in chatting to other Thais in the lobby than in doing their job. Only stayed twice though. No big deal.

There is a whole lot of internal debate about that and various fractious groupings for the Committee and the like but it needn't bother rentals. It's a poor man's "hiso" condo trying to hide it's mildy scuzzy roots whereas VT1 with it's bar beers on the ground floor isn't ashamed of what it is. Studios are 32sqm in VT1 and start at 37 in VT2. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bsand said:

There is a whole lot of internal debate about that and various fractious groupings for the Committee and the like but it needn't bother rentals. It's a poor man's "hiso" condo trying to hide it's mildy scuzzy roots whereas VT1 with it's bar beers on the ground floor isn't ashamed of what it is. Studios are 32sqm in VT1 and start at 37 in VT2. 

While I’m thinking about it, what are the superfast internet options in the building? 3BB or does True have fibre into 2A as well?

Thanks

There is a Sophon pay as you go deal which allows for monthly subs and the default fibre option is I think CAT which requires a yearly subscription. Don't know about the rest, if the condo owner hasn't already set it up there could be a 2.5k startup cost for installation and router.  Apparently 5G reception in the block is very good if you have a 5G enabled phone - you could certainly hotspot a laptop or tablet very effectively from that. 

18 minutes ago, bsand said:

There is a Sophon pay as you go deal which allows for monthly subs and the default fibre option is I think CAT which requires a yearly subscription. Don't know about the rest, if the condo owner hasn't already set it up there could be a 2.5k startup cost for installation and router.  Apparently 5G reception in the block is very good if you have a 5G enabled phone - you could certainly hotspot a laptop or tablet very effectively from that. 

Ok, thanks. I’ll be getting an Android box for tv so will be looking for fast internet with a router. I don’t know anything about CAT nor much about Sophon. I’ll look them up. I’m only aware of 3BB and True having proper superfast.

Edit: so CAT simply owns the cables which Sophon use, as far as I can work out. Sounds a bit like Sophon would be ‘normal’ internet while 3BB and True are proper fibre. I stand to be corrected.

3 hours ago, davidge said:

Ok, thanks. I’ll be getting an Android box for tv so will be looking for fast internet with a router. I don’t know anything about CAT nor much about Sophon. I’ll look them up. I’m only aware of 3BB and True having proper superfast.

Edit: so CAT simply owns the cables which Sophon use, as far as I can work out. Sounds a bit like Sophon would be ‘normal’ internet while 3BB and True are proper fibre. I stand to be corrected.

Just left a message on the line group to get the definitive up-to-date answer. 

Just now, bsand said:

Just left a message on the line group to get the definitive up-to-date answer. 

Thanks. Much appreciated. Friends tell me 3BB is the best choice so it would be nice to have that option.

20 hours ago, bsand said:

I've joined the line group, thanks.

Talking of ''takeaways'', do you know if Yupa massage on the ground floor offers happy endings?

The landlady organised my internet connection, 3,000 baht for router and modem. Cable Connect is the name of the company and it's fibre optic 500Mbps/50Mbps. I think 800baht per month and it's a monthly deal which is what I need given I'm only staying for 6 months.

I did get a (very brief) reply from Phil C. Reading between the lines, my requirements were rather too much for most of his condos. Are they generally more ‘downmarket’??

Anyway, he said only 2 of his 26 condos might suit but no details and the rental section of his website doesn’t work. I’ll see when I get there. Plenty of other options anyway.

Friends putting more and more pressure on me to get somewhere closer to them on Pratumnak - think they’ve got pretty set routines now. 

6 hours ago, penboy said:

The landlady organised my internet connection, 3,000 baht for router and modem. Cable Connect is the name of the company and it's fibre optic 500Mbps/50Mbps. I think 800baht per month and it's a monthly deal which is what I need given I'm only staying for 6 months.

That’s good to know, thanks. Not up to 3BB standard but a little cheaper. As long as it’s a stable connection it’s certainly enough for a TV box.

Just to add following this thread with great interest as I’m taking the same steps in March, although I think your friends are onto something, I’d be interested if you do look at anywhere in the Pratumnak area as well.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

14 minutes ago, Stokielad said:

Just to add following this thread with great interest as I’m taking the same steps in March, although I think your friends are onto something, I’d be interested if you do look at anywhere in the Pratumnak area as well.

If I do look at anything there it would only be at the top of Soi 6 or Soi 5. They had been pushing me towards Tara Court but one of them went in today and was told they’re only doing nightly rates now. They used to offer monthly. I’m not over keen on it anyway.

One friend is in Waterpark and a 38 sqm 1-bed can probably be had for under 10k now. Nice rooftop pool but some issues over funds for maintenance and security. Another is in Axis and there are some decent 1-bed there for maybe 12-14. Cheaper studios at the front get a lot of road noise. Good pool. 

I’ve seen a few cheap rentals in South Beach condo. It’s a few years since I’ve been inside, the developer ran into difficulties and I think a bank took over some of the units. Not sure of the situation now.

Always cheaper options available in Laguna Bay 1.

If you don’t mind being further away from a baht bus route, there are plenty of deals on Kasetsin etc. I’ve even seen reasonable rents in Amari Residence.

Thanks some helpful names to look at there. I’m happy riding a bike so I think Pratumnak might work well for me. Key elements must be separate bedroom, minimum 40 sqm and have a reasonable sea view. Looking up to 20k hoping for 15 😀

12 minutes ago, Stokielad said:

Thanks some helpful names to look at there. I’m happy riding a bike so I think Pratumnak might work well for me. Key elements must be separate bedroom, minimum 40 sqm and have a reasonable sea view. Looking up to 20k hoping for 15 😀

Have a look at vn residence 3.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Stokielad said:

If you want to be right on the sea then the front building of View Talay 3 might be an option, or Sands if you push your budget.

Not fussed about being on the beach just as long as I can see the sea and not just a tiny corner of it hanging my head off the balcony 😀 I will also be considering cozy beach view condo  and a couple more but will be waiting until I’m on the ground before committing anything

I’ll be on the ground this week so will see first hand how things are. From numerous contacts with agents and owners recently I’d say the Jomtien rental market is picking up slightly but still lots of empty units. The better looking units can be rented quite quickly without offering very low rents but others stick around.

I think I might end up having to decide between getting a decent unit in one of my favoured buildings for around 15k or something in my second choice buildings for 10-12k.

• Like 3

Just a quickie, in my condo search I’ve just been offered a condo in VT5C for 10000 baht a month. Usual prices there are 15k. I know nothing about the unit, not even seen pics, it was just a reply on Facebook from an agent. I’m not interested in 5C so if anyone is seriously looking for a long term condo, PM me and I’ll send the agent’s details.

• Like 3