IGNORED

Looking for condo for long term rental

davidge

I’m posting this far too early, and might decide to hide it again until later on, but it gives me a chance to test the ground before posting on Facebook - and no doubt getting lots of unsuitable offers!

Also, gives me something to look forward to later in the year while I’m dealing with rather a lot here at the moment.

So, any early offers welcome or (polite) suggestions about what I’m asking for and how I’m framing it. :)

Here goes:

Condo - Long Term Rental Wanted

Jomtien in the area around the arch and Hanuman Statue - see map.

I arrive mid-November and will stay in a hotel for up to a week to give time to look at condos. I am looking for a very long term rental with 12-month renewable contract.

I am prepared to pay 6-months or even 12-months rent upfront for a good discount.

I have friends in Pattaya who could look at some condos for me before I arrive if necessary.

Minimum 40sqm. I would prefer a separate bedroom but would consider a large studio.

Comfortable, well maintained & equipped with a decent western kitchen (oven a bonus), very big tv, very good internet, washing machine. Government rate for electricity and water.

Owner must be willing to file TM30 and provide other paperwork for Immigration as required.

If VT2A, VT5D, VT7 then I would prefer Pattaya side. If Jomtien Complex Condo then I would prefer the tower nearer Thappraya. If Neo Condo then I would prefer at front of building with view down Soi to Thappraya. Not necessarily a deal breaker though.

Other buildings in this area also considered but not VT1, not VT2B, not VT5C and not Jomtien Plaza Condo. Not Grand Condotel nor Jomtien Condotel either. 

I would be a quiet tenant who would take good care of the condo. I do not smoke. I am intending this to be an ongoing rental for many years if possible so am looking for a very good deal on rent. 🙂

I will try to reply to all messages but please do not be offended if I ignore offers for condos that are clearly in the wrong area.

F483D01F-6D6B-4AB4-8A03-91D1772ADEF7.jpeg

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Please don't hide this thread, I'm interested in the replies and I'm sure there will be other BMs with similar thoughts.

• Like 4

This will interest me for the experience as I will be doing the same for my retirement in 2023 although I would prefer nearer central Pattaya.

20 minutes ago, The Danimal said:

Budget?

Deliberately didn’t put one as there’s a glut of rentals on the market so I want to see what offers I get.

eg I’ve seen a 2-bed in Neo offered at 8k a month for 12-months paid in advance. I was offered a 1-bed in Neo that I’ve stayed in before for 12k a month. I’ve seen a nice enough unit in VT7 advertised for 13k. Depends how flexible/desperate the owner is. The units in Jomtien Complex are generally much bigger so wouldn’t expect to find a decent one there for those prices.

My budget is flexible but I obviously want the best deal I can find. If I’m offered a brilliant & huge 1-bed that’s 5k a month more than a worse one, then I’d choose a better one.

I don’t expect to have to pay more than 15k and absolutely won’t pay 20k. I’d prefer to pay closer to 10k as I think the current market makes that a possibility. I wouldn’t say this on Facebook, I’d simply say ‘make me your best offer’. 

In my mind, I will be balancing out how nice the condo is, which building it’s in, how the owner seems, with the rental cost. 

9 minutes ago, davidge said:

Deliberately didn’t put one as there’s a glut of rentals on the market so I want to see what offers I get.

eg I’ve seen a 2-bed in Neo offered at 8k a month for 12-months paid in advance. I was offered a 1-bed in Neo that I’ve stayed in before for 12k a month. I’ve seen a nice enough unit in VT7 advertised for 13k. Depends how flexible/desperate the owner is. The units in Jomtien Complex are generally much bigger so wouldn’t expect to find a decent one there for those prices.

My budget is flexible but I obviously want the best deal I can find. If I’m offered a brilliant & huge 1-bed that’s 5k a month more than a worse one, then I’d choose a better one.

I don’t expect to have to pay more than 15k and absolutely won’t pay 20k. I’d prefer to pay closer to 10k as I think the current market makes that a possibility. I wouldn’t say this on Facebook, I’d simply say ‘make me your best offer’. 

In my mind, I will be balancing out how nice the condo is, which building it’s in, how the owner seems, with the rental cost. 

Definitely a good plan although I don't retire there till 2023 I have been following Thailand Property.com and FB, (too early I know) but I have noticed already that condos that were cheap during covid now coming back on the market at pre-covid prices and in some cases more, especially Grande avenue VT6 and the base! (Even for long term).

• Like 2

How can I view Jomtien properties on FB? I can get Pattaya but would like to single out Jomtien if possible. 

3 minutes ago, penboy said:

How can I view Jomtien properties on FB? I can get Pattaya but would like to single out Jomtien if possible. 

I’ve not found any. There are several ‘Pattaya’ property groups and they include Jomtien condos. 

Just now, davidge said:

I’ve not found any. There are several ‘Pattaya’ property groups and they include Jomtien condos. 

Sorry, I meant facebook marketplace.

9 hours ago, geezerrb said:

Definitely a good plan although I don't retire there till 2023 I have been following Thailand Property.com and FB, (too early I know) but I have noticed already that condos that were cheap during covid now coming back on the market at pre-covid prices and in some cases more, especially Grande avenue VT6 and the base! (Even for long term).

That was my point...prices at GA going up monthly...

I was at 30-35 pre-COVID....COVID went down to 24...and that was pretty high still for a 2/2 there...now back up to 30 with multiple customers.

What about the floor number? Can it be ground or low floor?

Actually I am still looking to buy something similar to your requirements, so if you see anything that is for sale only, than I might be interested in buying it, if you will rent.

You seem to know the area and what you want! Pattaya side in VT2 would be my pick, as I lived there for several years.

My two cents is to stick to your hotel plan for a few days and then hit the ground running.

Daryle

4 hours ago, CampariO said:

What about the floor number? Can it be ground or low floor?

Actually I am still looking to buy something similar to your requirements, so if you see anything that is for sale only, than I might be interested in buying it, if you will rent.

I’m not really concerned about which floor it’s on which is why I didn’t mention it. As I’ll only be there about half the year I’d ‘probably’ avoid ground floor simply because it’s less secure but not 100% against. I’ve seen a few sensibly priced condos in some of the buildings but difficult to know how much work they’d need without close inspection. eg one in VT5D for around 2m (7th floor Pattaya side) as opposed to the usual 2.5 or so. There was one on the 11th floor a few months ago for just under 2m as well.

3 hours ago, Daryle said:

You seem to know the area and what you want! Pattaya side in VT2 would be my pick, as I lived there for several years.

My two cents is to stick to your hotel plan for a few days and then hit the ground running.

I’ve spent the last several years staying in various condos and viewing others to prepare for this. I think I know what will work for me. VT2A isn’t really my first choice though I’d be ok living there. I found the entrance area too ‘busy’ with lots of people hanging around most of the time while I like to slip in and out quietly. It’s got more long term residents than a lot of buildings which is good in terms of services on site (laundry, restaurants etc) but I did find it busier.

@davidge I notice that you omit vt2b. Is that due to the longish walk to the main road? Similarly is vt5 a bit of a trek to the entrance?

9 minutes ago, penboy said:

@davidge I notice that you omit vt2b. Is that due to the longish walk to the main road? Similarly is vt5 a bit of a trek to the entrance?

It’s purely a personal preference and, yes, due to distance from road. 2B and 5C are both very good buildings. I walk a fair bit during the day in Pattaya and I know neither are that far from the road BUT having to do the walk every time I want to go somewhere regardless of time of day, humidity or pouring rain, means they’re not for me. I stayed in 5C for about a month and I hated the bloody walk by the end. Also, due to back problems walking any distance can be very painful for me at times, and I’m not going to get any younger :)

I am not going to have my own transport in Pattaya. It will be baht bus or taxi.

• Like 3

Thread is now going way off topic. @Kalemaybe start your own thread on the main forum if you want? This is the real estate section so isn’t meant to be a ‘discuss anything’ thread.

Thanks.

I’ll tidy up the thread now.

• Like 3

A couple of other things that I’ll be looking for when viewing. First, definitely want a walk-in shower and not one over a bath - though this isn’t generally an issue with most condos. Second is a particular foible of mine which is I really hate having the aircon blowing directly onto the bed at night. Similarly, I won’t have a fan aimed directly at bed either (so won’t use ceiling fan). The advantage of a separate bedroom is that I can turn aircon off in bedroom, leave it on in lounge and keep door open. Otherwise the position of aircon and bed is something I look out for when viewing. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, davidge said:

Otherwise the position of aircon and bed is something I look out for when viewing. :rolleyes:

This a good point and one I pay attention to. I was in a place where the aircon had 2 settings, freezing and off. being blasted directly made it very uncomfortable sleep.

32 minutes ago, Sloracer said:

This a good point and one I pay attention to. I was in a place where the aircon had 2 settings, freezing and off. being blasted directly made it very uncomfortable sleep.

Yeah, I get  sore/dry throat if I have too much aircon when I first arrive.

51 minutes ago, penboy said:

Yeah, I get  sore/dry throat if I have too much aircon when I first arrive.

If you only get this when you first arrive it is more likely from the flight than the room aircon.

8 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Did you consider Chateau Dale? It's in the area you want, and I think it's 10 times nicer than VT2. 

https://www.thailand-property.com/condo/2823/chateau-dale

It’s just outside my ideal area. (I know I’m being very particular :)That doesn’t necessarily mean I’d rule it out completely. I’ve not stayed there, nor viewed any units there. From what I’ve seen online, it seems slightly more expensive than I’d really want to pay - but I’ll see if any offers appear when I’m there assessing options.

9 minutes ago, davidge said:

It’s just outside my ideal area. (I know I’m being very particular :)That doesn’t necessarily mean I’d rule it out completely. I’ve not stayed there, nor viewed any units there. From what I’ve seen online, it seems slightly more expensive than I’d really want to pay - but I’ll see if any offers appear when I’m there assessing options.

It would be worth your time to take a look. Very nice complex.

Either way, good luck in your search.

On 30/06/2022 at 18:23, davidge said:

I’ve seen a nice enough unit in VT7 advertised for 13k.

This unit now advertised for 10k a month. 11th floor, Pattaya side. Looks well set up, even an oven. It is for sale as well so I guess it could be bought and then I get kicked out by new owner, but that’s a risk in most cases. I don’t know what internet is available in VT7. Hoping to get BB3 when I’m settled - about 900 a month I think.

There are other buildings I’d prefer and I’d still like a separate bedroom, but shows what’s available now.