Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Motorbike License

Yabusaki

4 hours ago, JustL said:

I am also going through the process of getting my Thai drivers license, both car and motorcycle. Like @Rocketboy I am doing it myself. So far I have gotten my medical certificate 400฿ and my residence document from immigration, two copies for a total of 600฿.

Went to transportation office and because I have my international drivers permit for a car its a simple change over to get my drivers license for a vehicle. I scheduled an appointment for the motorcycle test for next Thursday. Like @flythai said you do need to take the 50 question test. Which you have to get 45 out of 50 right before you move on to anything else in the motorcycle license process. I will update as I do and learn more. 

Good job kid!!

Proud of you experiencing doing this on your on! :)

Edited by Rocketboy

56 minutes ago, bangna said:

Each time I check requirements at the LTO I have been told 1 x medical certificate + photocopy and 1 x Certificate of Residence + photocopy.

Me too!

2 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

Me too!

Need 2 residence certificate for car and motorbike, 2 copies of everything else

The guy that said b400 for medical cert was ripped off, B120 max at any clinic

1 hour ago, splitpin said:

This is correct - or at least it's what I was told when I was getting them (I only got one each for moto, though).

The medical certs could be done at the training place I went to - not sure how much they were, as I got mine beforehand. We had heaps of people who hadn't brought them along, and they had them done onsite. Photocopies can be done there too.

Cert of residence x2 will be the biggest worry to anyone going for both.

It's the way they do their filing. It's all paper and they keep the originals for themselves.

2 hours ago, splitpin said:

I have motorbike and car DL. Two of everything yes. I paid 100฿ for medical certificate at clinic on Soi Buakhao.

4 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

I have motorbike and car DL. Two of everything yes. I paid 100฿ for medical certificate at clinic on Soi Buakhao.

Same clinic I think. For 3 renewals I have supplied 1 original and 1 photocopy of Cert of Residence and medical certificate. 

23 hours ago, splitpin said:

Your right I did pay more than normal but I forgot to say 2 copies instead of 1. So I paid 200฿ per copy for a total of 400฿  

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

On 08/11/2022 at 17:44, flythai said:

Thanks RB, Nan asked me to bring my passport, 2 passport photos, and proof of my residence which in my case was a copy of my lease agreement. Nan charges 4,000 Baht for motorcycle license. Also, here's an update on this process:

1. 7 Nov, 2022 - Contacted Nan Expat Services on 7 Nov, 2022.

2. 8 Nov, 2022 - Met Nan at the Drivers License Office. I provided Nan with my passport, 2 passport photos, and proof of my residence(copy of my lease). Waited in line for approx half an hour to schedule my:

A. 5 Hour Video Class on Motorcycle Driving/Safety in Thailand. Sunday 13 Nov, 2022 8am-1pm. 500 Baht.

B. Motorcycle Drivers Exam(50 questions) on Monday, 14 Nov, 2022 at 8AM. 

Hopefully I'll pass the exam lol. I'm not sure if I have to be tested on an actual motorbike. Right now if everything goes well I should have my motorcycle license next week. Fingers crossed. 

Finally, I'll say again Nan has been great. She's a very easy person to work with and a very hard worker. A+!

How did you get on with the test?

I recently up dated my expired Thai DL Motor bike and Car July 2022  .They had expired almost 2 years as I had not travelled  to Thailand since late 2019 /October.

I like to do things myself ,My Thai is very basic..I almost never hire or drive a car when in Thailand so I did not see the point in extending my Thai Car license.

I used Maneerat Agency soi 13 to organize my residency Certificate 500 baht they said I needed 2 one for Car license and one for bike license..But I just opted for getting one.

My Health Certificate I picked up from a Clinic in Jomtien 150 baht I think they just checked my blood pressure and again I was told I needed 2 ..But I said one would be enough.

I made my way out to the Land Transport Office to make an appointment.

Had photo copies of Passport  ,Expired drivers License etc2 photos which weren`t needed as they took their own pics

Girl I spoke with said all I needed was one Residency certificate plus a photocopy and one medical certificate plus a photocopy..

And an appointment was made for me in 3 days time.

I just turned up for an afternoon appointment was told to go upstairs ,Did the reflex test and colour blindness test then queued up to pay ..it was just a few hundred baht for each license.

Then went downstairs to wait again another hour or so to have my pics take then a half hour wait until my new licenses were ready.

When I went to organize an appointment I was also instructed to watch a video on driver safety just over an hour with a couple of simple questions .I took notes as I was watching it.

I would of course have liked a 5 year license but I was just on a tourist visa so could only get 2 year licenses

For those taking License test for motor bike ,I found most of the the questions and answers online it was a booklet from Canterbury Tales Bookshop.(this was a few years ago )

The motor bike riding test was very simple and even riding over the narrow strip was a breeze just don`t go fast keep the throttle steady and keep front wheel in the middle of the asphalt strip .

It did take me a couple of afternoons but for me I was quite happy to do it and did not see the point in paying an agent to do this for me when it really is a simple procedure .

If I was not sure about something I just asked some one and answers were forth coming 

Yeah, Maneerat told me I needed 2x original certificate of residence. I had already been to the DLT to check. I told the guy at Maneerat I only wanted 1, he said you'll be back. Funnily enough when I collected it the next day he included a photocopy. 

On 14/11/2022 at 13:07, splitpin said:

How did you get on with the test?

Thanks for asking I'll say it was a roller coaster ride on Monday. Mainly because I always wait until the last minute to study. I had to take a reaction test at 11AM, then the computer exam at 1PM. The testing center was packed so I got in some badly needed study time. Probably started the test around 1:45PM, I had a little trouble with approx 5-10 questions but thankfully I got a 48/50. The 2 guys I befriended(1 Russian, 1 American) failed the test and have to retake it.

I did have a short driving test, which was pretty easy. I then got my picture taken and shortly thereafter picked up my license. Probably got out of there around 3:30PM and Nan even gave me a ride back to Jomtien.

In summary I agree you can probably get your license without any assistance but it might cause you an extra long trip or two. Good luck! 

Update on getting my licenses. I have both now and the weather definitely played a part in it taking a bit more time to get them..555

Had an appointment for this Thursday at 8:30am. Got there early and was told to go upstairs and wait till 9am for written test. Turns out that it was the traffic light color test and braking test. Braking test is you sitting down and pressing a computerized gas pedal and brake to make sure you can stop quickly. Tests take less than 10 minutes depending on the size of the group that the instructor brings over to the area. Get my car license after I pay my 120฿. Taking the picture made me laugh because they called out the ticket numbers in Thai but when they get to a falang number they call it out in Thai first then English. So I was trying to keep up with the numbers with my limited Thai. Then I heard them call out the numbers in English and realized I'm doing to much...555 

Before I got my car license the instructor told me to make sure to come back up for my motorcycle test after I get my car license and to make a copy, front and back of the car license. Did all of that and found out the motorcycle test was at 1pm. That means I had 3 hours to wait. Found an indoor coffee shop and studied. Meet a nice Norwegian man who had the actually study book and we studied together while he drank coffee and I had a great tasting apple tea. 

Passed the written exam with 46/50. The translation from Thai to English really does make the test harder than it needs to be. I understand why some people have to take it multiple times. It started raining as I was taking the written motorcycle exam and I was not able to take the physical driving moto test at 2:30pm but was told to come back the the next day, Friday at 10am to take the test. 

Drove my bike out to the land transportation office Friday morning and enjoyed and learned alot about driving outside the Pattaya city center in the process. Took the test a little after 10am on my bike. Meet a pretty Uni girl who asked to borrow my bike instead of her renting a bike and helmet. I said yes but made sure to get her LINE as well 😁Paid my 105฿ for my moto license and was on my way back to Pattaya by 11:30am. 

Edited by JustL

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

• 2 months later...

Question, which I realise might be difficult for "normal " sighted people to answer

I am colour blind. Yes I do see colours, it is better to say I am colour deficient.

I have the most common red/green deficiency. (hardly anyone has black/white vision only)

I passed Victorian (Australia) drivers license test easily years ago.

Can anyone advise what is required in the colour test for a Thai license.

Thanks in advance

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 14/11/2022 at 05:57, j_omm said:

I recently up dated my expired Thai DL Motor bike and Car July 2022  .They had expired almost 2 years as I had not travelled  to Thailand since late 2019 /October.

I like to do things myself ,My Thai is very basic..I almost never hire or drive a car when in Thailand so I did not see the point in extending my Thai Car license.

I used Maneerat Agency soi 13 to organize my residency Certificate 500 baht they said I needed 2 one for Car license and one for bike license..But I just opted for getting one.

My Health Certificate I picked up from a Clinic in Jomtien 150 baht I think they just checked my blood pressure and again I was told I needed 2 ..But I said one would be enough.

I made my way out to the Land Transport Office to make an appointment.

Had photo copies of Passport  ,Expired drivers License etc2 photos which weren`t needed as they took their own pics

Girl I spoke with said all I needed was one Residency certificate plus a photocopy and one medical certificate plus a photocopy..

And an appointment was made for me in 3 days time.

I just turned up for an afternoon appointment was told to go upstairs ,Did the reflex test and colour blindness test then queued up to pay ..it was just a few hundred baht for each license.

Then went downstairs to wait again another hour or so to have my pics take then a half hour wait until my new licenses were ready.

When I went to organize an appointment I was also instructed to watch a video on driver safety just over an hour with a couple of simple questions .I took notes as I was watching it.

I would of course have liked a 5 year license but I was just on a tourist visa so could only get 2 year licenses

For those taking License test for motor bike ,I found most of the the questions and answers online it was a booklet from Canterbury Tales Bookshop.(this was a few years ago )

The motor bike riding test was very simple and even riding over the narrow strip was a breeze just don`t go fast keep the throttle steady and keep front wheel in the middle of the asphalt strip .

It did take me a couple of afternoons but for me I was quite happy to do it and did not see the point in paying an agent to do this for me when it really is a simple procedure .

If I was not sure about something I just asked some one and answers were forth coming 

Did you just need your expired Thai license or did you have your international one. Did you need to do the actual motorbike test. Thanks

mistake ... sorry

Edited by onehunglo

This site has most of the Q and A.

Thai Driving License Exam Test Questions & Answers 2020-2021 - ASK ABOUT THAILAND (move2thailand.com)

if need be you could put it on your phone and take it in with you

Edited by onehunglo

2 hours ago, onehunglo said:

This site has most of the Q and A.

Thai Driving License Exam Test Questions & Answers 2020-2021 - ASK ABOUT THAILAND (move2thailand.com)

if need be you could put it on your phone and take it in with you

My tip for what it's worth, when you look at these swotting questions online, just look at the answer, it highlited

Also having done the test last year you will not be allowed a phone in the room

On 11/02/2023 at 14:40, FREDDYs said:

Did you just need your expired Thai license or did you have your international one. Did you need to do the actual motorbike test. Thanks

I just had my expired Thai DL ,No re testing for Motor bike.Just Eye test,Reflex Check and watching an online video for around 1 hour with some questions..I kept notes as I was watching there were some questions but answers were given in the video.Did not need my International License either...

On 11/02/2023 at 13:55, Jagaar said:

Question, which I realise might be difficult for "normal " sighted people to answer

I am colour blind. Yes I do see colours, it is better to say I am colour deficient.

I have the most common red/green deficiency. (hardly anyone has black/white vision only)

I passed Victorian (Australia) drivers license test easily years ago.

Can anyone advise what is required in the colour test for a Thai license.

Thanks in advance

The Test I did for colour blindness was a guy with a simulated traffic light he would flash on either colour green which was a bit hazy as was the red and orange lights he flashed on.As he flashed on the light I was to say which  colour it was,I did get one wrong but he let me do it again.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, j_omm said:

The Test I did for colour blindness was a guy with a simulated traffic light he would flash on either colour green which was a bit hazy as was the red and orange lights he flashed on.As he flashed on the light I was to say which  colour it was,I did get one wrong but he let me do it again.

yes I did that test before. was your expired license good enough or did you need a international one as well

any info regarding exchanging my old 2 year licences ? i think you have to book an appointment in advance ? i did it all myself 2 years ago . ay advice would be appreciated

20 hours ago, FREDDYs said:

yes I did that test before. was your expired license good enough or did you need a international one as well

Just the expired Thai licenses were enough I think they expired November 2020 and I picked up new ones July 2022..Being on a tourist visa they mt Thai mtr bike and car License are only valid for  2 years.I was told if one has the 5 year Thai License you can get an International Drivers License in Thailand  valid for 5 years.I managed to get one of these in Phuket a few years ago and I use it when I am in Bali