IGNORED

Motorbike License

Yabusaki

12 hours ago, regyai said:

C19 has become the workshy's charter, and the magic word for excusing cost cutting/profiteering

It's also quite a killer and not finished yet.

1 hour ago, Dutcher said:

But you mentioned that you needed to do the full exam?

I could exchange my Dutch car driving license, together with a International Driver's Permit I got in Holland, for a Thai one, with only a few simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception) and a 45 minute video.

:Agree1:

Same same for me 2½ years ago, when I got my first Thai driver lincenses (Car and Motorbike), no computer test.

I just renewed both of my 2 Thai DL, just had to do the simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception), no video and no computer test.

I only spended 40 minutes the Land Transportation Office. 

4 hours ago, logboy said:

My accountant used to do this for me. CAn't rcall how much it cost but they sent someone there and they were back shortly with my bike and car license. lol

2 hours ago, Hamchang said:

My accountant used to do this for me. CAn't rcall how much it cost but they sent someone there and they were back shortly with my bike and car license. lol

Have you done this recently or was this in the past?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2020 at 12:57, Dutcher said:

Have you done this recently or was this in the past?

2015 was the last time. 

On 24/12/2020 at 12:57, logboy said:

:Agree1:

Same same for me 2½ years ago, when I got my first Thai driver lincenses (Car and Motorbike), no computer test.

I just renewed both of my 2 Thai DL, just had to do the simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception), no video and no computer test.

I was given my Thai auto DL with little problem as I had a valid IDP and US IL DL. I had to do the full monty for the motorbike DL. I had a devil of a time with the ride the board piece. I kept coming off about 3 meters before the end when I touched the brakes before the turn. I eventually got through it all. Now that I have been on a bike for over a year, I can not see how anyone would have a problem with the board. :Dunno:

I need to review both licenses next year. This will be my first renewal. Anybody know if it is less of a hassle to renew the two of them together? I plan to go for the 5 year version. 

1 hour ago, ChiFlyer said:

I was given my Thai auto DL with little problem as I had a valid IDP and US IL DL. I had to do the full monty for the motorbike DL. I had a devil of a time with the ride the board piece. I kept coming off about 3 meters before the end when I touched the brakes before the turn. I eventually got through it all. Now that I have been on a bike for over a year, I can not see how anyone would have a problem with the board. :Dunno:

I need to review both licenses next year. This will be my first renewal. Anybody know if it is less of a hassle to renew the two of them together? I plan to go for the 5 year version. 

Very easy to renew both licenses at the same time. I don't think you can renew just one anyway. Remember to go for your renewal after your birthdate, your renewal date, you'll get almost six years before the five year license expires.

Note for people on a tourist visa: you can never renew for more than 2 years at a time. 5 years is only for retirement and other long time visas.

20 hours ago, forcebwithu said:

Very easy to renew both licenses at the same time. I don't think you can renew just one anyway. Remember to go for your renewal after your birthdate, your renewal date, you'll get almost six years before the five year license expires.

My renewal dates on the licenses are not my bday, rather they are two years from when each DL was issued. The DLs have different renewal dates.  I am toying with the idea of letting the auto DL expire and renewing both the day after the motorbike DL expires. I think I have up to a year to renew a license without starting over again.

6 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

My renewal dates on the licenses are not my bday, rather they are two years from when each DL was issued. The DLs have different renewal dates.  I am toying with the idea of letting the auto DL expire and renewing both the day after the motorbike DL expires. I think I have up to a year to renew a license without starting over again.

Just whatever you do don't let them go past being expired for 1 year. I did this because I forgot to get the right visa before I left Australia and was not able to renew the licences before the 1 year expiry limit.

This meant I had to do both the practical and written tests for both the car and motorbike licences. I don't know why the wouldn't accept my Australian car licence this time around like the first time but had to complete 2 lots of tests for both the car and motorbike. 2 days of my life I will never get back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, ChiFlyer said:

My renewal dates on the licenses are not my bday, rather they are two years from when each DL was issued.

If you get the 5 year license, it will expire on your birthday. 2 year is from the date issued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, rhodie said:

If you get the 5 year license, it will expire on your birthday. 2 year is from the date issued.

I am on my first set of licenses which are both the 2 year version. I think you have to go 2 year for your first licenses. I intend to apply for the 5 year version when I renew. Anybody know if there is anything different that I need to do for the 5 year version?

10 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

I am on my first set of licenses which are both the 2 year version. I think you have to go 2 year for your first licenses. I intend to apply for the 5 year version when I renew. Anybody know if there is anything different that I need to do for the 5 year version?

2 and 5 requirements the same for me in Kalasin.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to get a Thai motorbike License so i went to an agent to ask about the process.

So normaly it's 3500 baht for the license all include, the problem was becouse of Covid, you can not go to the traffic station and do the tests there, so my only choice was to pay "Under the table" 20,000 baht and just buy the license. They say maby the traffic station will start up again to do normal tests in april, but they did not know.

Atleast this was what they told me. I have a friend talk to another agent, and he said you can still do everything as normal, and pay 3500 baht, so i have to check around to see what's right i guess..

4 hours ago, ketil_n said:

I wanted to get a Thai motorbike License so i went to an agent to ask about the process.

So normaly it's 3500 baht for the license all include, the problem was becouse of Covid, you can not go to the traffic station and do the tests there, so my only choice was to pay "Under the table" 20,000 baht and just buy the license. They say maby the traffic station will start up again to do normal tests in april, but they did not know.

Atleast this was what they told me. I have a friend talk to another agent, and he said you can still do everything as normal, and pay 3500 baht, so i have to check around to see what's right i guess..

I'm sure I read the DLT at Pattaya is open.

18 hours ago, ketil_n said:

If you are on tourist visa and have international motorcycle DL, then the agent can get the license sorted for 3500 baht?

Do you recommend your agent? I'd like to get a thai license too.

33 minutes ago, Climbhigh889 said:

If you are on tourist visa and have international motorcycle DL, then the agent can get the license sorted for 3500 baht?

Do you recommend your agent? I'd like to get a thai license too.

Yes I would think so because you alredy have a international DL for motorbike. So you don't need test or as many tests. Best thing to do is to contact them, becouse there are so many variables there times..  

As for recommend or not I did not use there services, but I read good things about them other places.

I leave there link here.

https://www.mots-services.com

• Thanks 1

I just got my bike and car license for 4500b through VIP Visa. It was a conversion from IDP to local license.

Day 1 I got picked up and made a booking for my tests. Total time spent was 10 minutes.

Day 2 was 2 weeks later and total time was 2 hours. This was basically waiting 30 minutes then doing color and reaction test then photo and wait for licenses.

Even if you failed we passed as we were all with either VIP Or TIKTOK and we were taken care of seperate 

15 hours ago, bangna said:

I'm sure I read the DLT at Pattaya is open.

I went last week and it was open.  At least for buying a tax sticker and change of address stuff.   

With covid style queuing outdoors etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lextsy said:

I just got my bike and car license for 4500b through VIP Visa. It was a conversion from IDP to local license.

Day 1 I got picked up and made a booking for my tests. Total time spent was 10 minutes.

Day 2 was 2 weeks later and total time was 2 hours. This was basically waiting 30 minutes then doing color and reaction test then photo and wait for licenses.

Even if you failed we passed as we were all with either VIP Or TIKTOK and we were taken care of seperate 

Glad you got what you wanted for 4500.

Now you know the process, do you think you could have done it yourself without an agent ?

9 years ago I did it myself, and got both motorcycle and car license.  Had IDP for car.

I did computer based test, road test for motorbike, eye test, reaction test, distance test, watched video.   

Took an afternoon. But wasn't an ordeal.  Glad they checked I was competent to drive.  A good thing.  Keep incompetant drivers, and spellers, off the road.

I don't like the sound of failures got passed. What type of person wants that?

Edited by rog555

2 hours ago, rog555 said:

Glad you got what you wanted for 4500.

Now you know the process, do you think you could have done it yourself without an agent ?

9 years ago I did it myself, and got both motorcycle and car license.  Had IDP for car.

I did computer based test, road test for motorbike, eye test, reaction test, distance test, watched video.   

Took an afternoon. But wasn't an ordeal.  Glad they checked I was competent to drive.  A good thing.  Keep incompetant drivers, and spellers, off the road.

I don't like the sound of failures got passed. What type of person wants that?

I’d pay an agent to do the forms, pick me up, do the photos and take care of everything everytime. 4500b including the actual licenses is a bargain

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lextsy said:

I’d pay an agent to do the forms, pick me up, do the photos and take care of everything everytime. 4500b including the actual licenses is a bargain

OK.  I can understand that.  I have a slightly complicated issue about car registration that I'd happily pay a one off 4500 to fix.  Or maybe 1000.  But I'm doing it myself and its a chore. Yes.

On the other hand I am glad I did the driving license stuff myself.   A challenge, kind of. 

You get to interact with the government and bureaucracy.  Mix with normal thai people.  Check your driving skills.  It wasn't hard.  

When you renew your license will you pay an agent ?

What's your view about people who failed the eye sight etc tests, yet getting a licence ?

Edited by rog555

My farang and international licenses were long expired so I was in a position where I had to take the written test. I'm told more than half fail the first time since 90% is passing and some questions are not very clear.  I would strongly recommend using study materials before taking the test.   You can take the test in English or Thai.  .

The driving test, reflex test, and vision tests are all quite easy/

Ladyboy Review Forum http://www.ladyboyreview.com

8 hours ago, rog555 said:

OK.  I can understand that.  I have a slightly complicated issue about car registration that I'd happily pay a one off 4500 to fix.  Or maybe 1000.  But I'm doing it myself and its a chore. Yes.

On the other hand I am glad I did the driving license stuff myself.   A challenge, kind of. 

You get to interact with the government and bureaucracy.  Mix with normal thai people.  Check your driving skills.  It wasn't hard.  

When you renew your license will you pay an agent ?

What's your view about people who failed the eye sight etc tests, yet getting a licence ?

Ill pay an agent as long as my time is more valuable than my money. When i was paying off my mortgages and valued my money more id have done it all myself. In the future if i dont work and i have more time than money ill revert back to my old ways.

The truth is services are so expensive overseas (Sydney) that you learn to do it all yourself so when i come here its a pleasant change getting people to do things (Condo cleaning not included) but for menial tasks their labour rate is so low it makes no sense to do things yourself when your skills are paid 50x theirs.

I have recently found out home pro basically can do anything in your home and im guessing they are not the cherapest mob in town but their rates still come up cheaper than independent contractors who are bumping up their prices for fraang.

• Like 2