IGNORED

Motorbike License

Yabusaki

Greetings,

I need members' assistance once more! I might be committing early injuries or death but I'm also interested in riding Motorbike only during daytime, minimum congested traffic and nonwet roads! I never rode motorbike before, only drove cars!

What and where I need to go to apply for a new motorbike license in Pattaya? I'm willing to pay an agent for assistance in getting a license. What are the steps I need to follow in getting license in Pattaya? Thanks in advance.

Trike is my first choice but it seemed I can't get a license to drive legally in Pattaya!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

I used J&C Concierge. It's 5,000 Baht for Car and Bike license. Takes a morning and they travel to the office with you to make sure you get it done as swiftly as possible. They are just up the street from Tuk Com.

A friend got his in Hua Hin where there seems less of a need to use assistance, he was in and out within an hour over there. I was told getting a license in Pattaya can be a painful experience and saw a vlog where someone was being required to use a complicated app just to book an appointment 30 days ahead, so went with the agency - no regrets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

Trike is my first choice but it seemed I can't get a license to drive legally in Pattaya!

Have you found the place in Theprasit which rents these out?

No doubt they could assist if you wanted to try one for a month.

I would recommend some lessons if you have never ridden.

There are so many things you will not know if you just try to learn on your own.

Two life saving things to learn are the following:

^^ these are good pointers

But to be honest when I hear people going down this route having NEVER ridden before it's a blood runs cold moment. Thai roads are notoriously dangerous and the carnage they impart has no need of another wobbling neophyte to fuel it's harvest.

Even with long years of motorcycle experience on many rides (from 'sewing machine' Scooters up to 1600cc) Thailand was still a surprise and if you are determined to pursue this plan then please study and inwardly digest this:

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

(I wish I'd had access to it twenty years ago).

And then try and get as much 'pilot in command' hours as you can in some safe environment with the target of becoming instinctively competent. A battlefield is not a good place to try out if you haven't learned which end of a rifle to hold ;)

• 3 weeks later...

To All My Comrades,

If you need assistance in getting license to drive motorbikes or automobiles in Pattaya,  please let me know, it will cost money but you'll save time, effort and headaches! The company is near Soi6.

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Hi Yabusaki,

Just a quick question!  Can I get a Thai DL with just a photocopy of my USA DL or do I need to show the actual DL?  I want to leave my DL in America.

Hope to see you at the agogos in a month or two.  Hate the 14 days of quarantine but I have started the process.

Thank You

4 minutes ago, Maiped said:

Hi Yabusaki,

Just a quick question!  Can I get a Thai DL with just a photocopy of my USA DL or do I need to show the actual DL?  I want to leave my DL in America.

Hope to see you at the agogos in a month or two.  Hate the 14 days of quarantine but I have started the process.

Thank You

I am unsure of Yabusaki's complete answer.....

however I have read it it helps if you are in USA to go to the Auto Club and get an International Driver License.

I did that last year and it cost $20-$30 including the photo and license.

I never used it because of covid.

Be sure if you have a motorcycle license, they transfer that information onto the international license as well.

Hi LASportsNut,

I did look into it but AAA in Southern California are not issuing International DL at this moment.  I hate Covid and all things related to this stupid thing with a passion.

Hope to see you in Thailand next year!

Thanks

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maiped said:

Hi LASportsNut,

I did look into it but AAA in Southern California are not issuing International DL at this moment.  I hate Covid and all things related to this stupid thing with a passion.

Thanks

C19 has become the workshy's charter, and the magic word for excusing cost cutting/profiteering

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Maiped said:

Hi LASportsNut,

Thanks

Wow, that is interesting that they suspended that service.  

When I was there it was just a collateral duty for one of the workers, unsure why they would suspend it.

Common sense is not very common anymore.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maiped said:

Hi Yabusaki,

Thank You

No you need your US DL. 

On 06/12/2020 at 03:39, regyai said:

^^ these are good pointers

But to be honest when I hear people going down this route having NEVER ridden before it's a blood runs cold moment. Thai roads are notoriously dangerous and the carnage they impart has no need of another wobbling neophyte to fuel it's harvest.

Even with long years of motorcycle experience on many rides (from 'sewing machine' Scooters up to 1600cc) Thailand was still a surprise and if you are determined to pursue this plan then please study and inwardly digest this:

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

(I wish I'd had access to it twenty years ago).

And then try and get as much 'pilot in command' hours as you can in some safe environment with the target of becoming instinctively competent. A battlefield is not a good place to try out if you haven't learned which end of a rifle to hold ;)

I didn't know how to ride a bike when I purchased mine in December 2018.

I got my Thai DL for both motorbike and car in Jan 2019. I had to do road test for both.

I did everything myself. And even though I had to go back to the Land Transportation Office twice it was worth the experience to me! 

Purchasing a motorbike was not something I planned or thought about before moving here in October 2018!

Best decision/purchase I made since I moved here! :)

I taught myself and actually read that link. I started out slowly for a couple weeks everyday in a controlled type environment.

When I felt comfortable enough I ventured out to the main roads.

I am quite comfortable now, but still as cautious and aware as I can be. 

Edited by Rocketboy

8 hours ago, Maiped said:

Hi Yabusaki,

Thank You

Greetings,

No, you need to have an original license not a photocopy!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

39 minutes ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

No, you need to have an original license not a photocopy!

Ok, I will have to bring my DL with me.

Thank You

2 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

No you need your US DL. 

Thank you!  I will bring my DL with me.  I want a Thai DL to use as an ID.

I am not sure about driving a bike in Pattaya.

1 hour ago, Maiped said:

Greetings,

As long as your current driving license is current and not expired, they could help you getting new Thai license!

Good luck

Hang Loose, mongoose!

1 hour ago, Maiped said:

You might need an international driving license document to go with your original foreign driving license. Not sure if you need that for a US one since it’s already in English.

1 hour ago, Dutcher said:

You might need an international driving license document to go with your original foreign driving license. Not sure if you need that for a US one since it’s already in English.

One should be a little careful with the terms here. An International Driver's Permit is the correct term. In the US you can get one from AAA. As someone else said they cost about $30. There is also a company that sells a product called IDL. These are bogus and the Boys in Brown have caught onto that.

There is a very long detailed thread around here that goes over all of this. I found it to be quite useful.

2 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

As long as your current driving license is current and not expired, they could help you getting new Thai license!

Good luck

You need to also have a type of licence on your US DL. Such as Class B, C, M for Moped or motorcycle. 

I moved here from Seattle and didn't even realise that my WA State DL didn't have a class on it. 

I never paid it any attention. And only found out when I went to the Land Transportation Office here and they informed me. 

No class or motorbike endorsement on my US DL  meant I had to do the road test.

It was also required that I sit through a five hour driving in Thailand video course.

At first I wasn't thrilled about it, but by the time it was over I was happy to have sat through and gain some knowledge. 

As I said two road test one for motorcycle and since I wanted a vehicle licence a road test for a car as well. 

There is also a 50 question computer test. You can only miss 5 questions. More than that you have to retake the next day. 

Edited by Rocketboy

2 hours ago, Dutcher said:

Me and a friend who got our Thai DL at the same time didn't have or need any type international document....permit or DL. 

3 minutes ago, Rocketboy said:

Me and a friend who got our Thai DL at the same time didn't have or need any type international document....permit or DL. 

But you mentioned that you needed to do the full exam?

I could exchange my Dutch car driving license, together with a International Driver's Permit I got in Holland, for a Thai one, with only a few simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception) and a 45 minute video.

Hi All,

Thank you everybody for all the replies and comments!  To be clear, I will be in Thailand on a retirement visa and  I will use the Thai DL as an ID.  I will not be driving a car or a motorbike for now.  I will consider driving a motorbike only 6 months or a year after my arrival. 

On a different note, I think that if you are in Thailand for a short time, an International Driving Permit from AAA will allow a person to operate a motorbike or a car for about a month or two.

I just read the comments by Rocketboy and Dutcher as I am typing this reply.  I have a Class C DL from California so I will get a Thai DL to operate a car.  Since I will be using the DL as a ID, it will be OK.

I will bring my US driver license to Thailand to get a Thai DL.  On the next trip home to the US, I will just leave the US license in America.

Next year when and if I decide to drive a motorbike, I will take the driving lessons and then apply for a DL for motorbike.  I will do exactly the same thing as Rocketboy.  I will take it super slow as first and only drive on the regular roads when I am really comfortable with my bike.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

I could exchange my Dutch car driving license, together with a International Driver's Permit I got in Holland, for a Thai one, with only a few simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception) and a 45 minute video.

Yes I did all of that. 

45 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

45 minute video I think my friend had to sit through something like that. He had a class on his GA DL and only got DL for car. 

He took the computer test as well. As far as I know everyone regardless of what DL you have has to take that test.