Jump to content

Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | The Night Wish Group | Thailand 24/7 Forum | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News | | Pattaya Investigations | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Motorbike License


Yabusaki
 Share

Recommended Posts

Greetings,

I need members' assistance once more! I might be committing early injuries or death but I'm also interested in riding Motorbike only during daytime, minimum congested traffic and nonwet roads! I never rode motorbike before, only drove cars!

What and where I need to go to apply for a new motorbike license in Pattaya? I'm willing to pay an agent for assistance in getting a license. What are the steps I need to follow in getting license in Pattaya? Thanks in advance.

Trike is my first choice but it seemed I can't get a license to drive legally in Pattaya!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used J&C Concierge. It's 5,000 Baht for Car and Bike license. Takes a morning and they travel to the office with you to make sure you get it done as swiftly as possible. They are just up the street from Tuk Com.

A friend got his in Hua Hin where there seems less of a need to use assistance, he was in and out within an hour over there. I was told getting a license in Pattaya can be a painful experience and saw a vlog where someone was being required to use a complicated app just to book an appointment 30 days ahead, so went with the agency - no regrets.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

.......................
Trike is my first choice but it seemed I can't get a license to drive legally in Pattaya!

 

Have you found the place in Theprasit which rents these out?

No doubt they could assist if you wanted to try one for a month.

mouse.gif.00a707d30565699b15838265572acd33.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would recommend some lessons if you have never ridden.

There are so many things you will not know if you just try to learn on your own.

Two life saving things to learn are the following:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

^^ these are good pointers

 

But to be honest when I hear people going down this route having NEVER ridden before it's a blood runs cold moment. Thai roads are notoriously dangerous and the carnage they impart has no need of another wobbling neophyte to fuel it's harvest.

Even with long years of motorcycle experience on many rides (from 'sewing machine' Scooters up to 1600cc) Thailand was still a surprise and if you are determined to pursue this plan then please study and inwardly digest this:

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

(I wish I'd had access to it twenty years ago).

 

And then try and get as much 'pilot in command' hours as you can in some safe environment with the target of becoming instinctively competent. A battlefield is not a good place to try out if you haven't learned which end of a rifle to hold ;)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

To All My Comrades,

If you need assistance in getting license to drive motorbikes or automobiles in Pattaya,  please let me know, it will cost money but you'll save time, effort and headaches! The company is near Soi6.

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Yabusaki,

Just a quick question!  Can I get a Thai DL with just a photocopy of my USA DL or do I need to show the actual DL?  I want to leave my DL in America.

Hope to see you at the agogos in a month or two.  Hate the 14 days of quarantine but I have started the process.

Thank You

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Maiped said:

Hi Yabusaki,

Just a quick question!  Can I get a Thai DL with just a photocopy of my USA DL or do I need to show the actual DL?  I want to leave my DL in America.

Hope to see you at the agogos in a month or two.  Hate the 14 days of quarantine but I have started the process.

Thank You

 

I am unsure of Yabusaki's complete answer.....

however I have read it it helps if you are in USA to go to the Auto Club and get an International Driver License.

I did that last year and it cost $20-$30 including the photo and license.

I never used it because of covid.

Be sure if you have a motorcycle license, they transfer that information onto the international license as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi LASportsNut,

I did look into it but AAA in Southern California are not issuing International DL at this moment.  I hate Covid and all things related to this stupid thing with a passion.

Hope to see you in Thailand next year!

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Maiped said:

Hi LASportsNut,

I did look into it but AAA in Southern California are not issuing International DL at this moment.  I hate Covid and all things related to this stupid thing with a passion.

Hope to see you in Thailand next year!

Thanks

C19 has become the workshy's charter, and the magic word for excusing cost cutting/profiteering

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Maiped said:

Hi LASportsNut,

I did look into it but AAA in Southern California are not issuing International DL at this moment.  I hate Covid and all things related to this stupid thing with a passion.

Hope to see you in Thailand next year!

Thanks

Wow, that is interesting that they suspended that service.  

When I was there it was just a collateral duty for one of the workers, unsure why they would suspend it.

Common sense is not very common anymore.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Maiped said:

Hi Yabusaki,

Just a quick question!  Can I get a Thai DL with just a photocopy of my USA DL or do I need to show the actual DL?  I want to leave my DL in America.

Hope to see you at the agogos in a month or two.  Hate the 14 days of quarantine but I have started the process.

Thank You

 

No you need your US DL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/12/2020 at 03:39, regyai said:

^^ these are good pointers

 

But to be honest when I hear people going down this route having NEVER ridden before it's a blood runs cold moment. Thai roads are notoriously dangerous and the carnage they impart has no need of another wobbling neophyte to fuel it's harvest.

Even with long years of motorcycle experience on many rides (from 'sewing machine' Scooters up to 1600cc) Thailand was still a surprise and if you are determined to pursue this plan then please study and inwardly digest this:

https://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-traffic-rules-in-thailand-and-how-to-avoid-traffic-accidents-p169

(I wish I'd had access to it twenty years ago).

 

And then try and get as much 'pilot in command' hours as you can in some safe environment with the target of becoming instinctively competent. A battlefield is not a good place to try out if you haven't learned which end of a rifle to hold ;)

 

I didn't know how to ride a bike when I purchased mine in December 2018.

 

I got my Thai DL for both motorbike and car in Jan 2019. I had to do road test for both.

 

I did everything myself. And even though I had to go back to the Land Transportation Office twice it was worth the experience to me! 

 

Purchasing a motorbike was not something I planned or thought about before moving here in October 2018!

 

Best decision/purchase I made since I moved here! :)

 

I taught myself and actually read that link. I started out slowly for a couple weeks everyday in a controlled type environment.

 

When I felt comfortable enough I ventured out to the main roads.

 

I am quite comfortable now, but still as cautious and aware as I can be. 

Edited by Rocketboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Maiped said:

Hi Yabusaki,

Just a quick question!  Can I get a Thai DL with just a photocopy of my USA DL or do I need to show the actual DL?  I want to leave my DL in America.

Hope to see you at the agogos in a month or two.  Hate the 14 days of quarantine but I have started the process.

Thank You

 

Greetings,

No, you need to have an original license not a photocopy!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

No, you need to have an original license not a photocopy!

Ok, I will have to bring my DL with me.

Thank You

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

No you need your US DL. 

Thank you!  I will bring my DL with me.  I want a Thai DL to use as an ID.

I am not sure about driving a bike in Pattaya.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maiped said:

Thank you!  I will bring my DL with me.  I want a Thai DL to use as an ID.

I am not sure about driving a bike in Pattaya.

Greetings,

As long as your current driving license is current and not expired, they could help you getting new Thai license!

Good luck

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maiped said:

Thank you!  I will bring my DL with me.  I want a Thai DL to use as an ID.

I am not sure about driving a bike in Pattaya.

You might need an international driving license document to go with your original foreign driving license. Not sure if you need that for a US one since it’s already in English.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dutcher said:

You might need an international driving license document to go with your original foreign driving license. Not sure if you need that for a US one since it’s already in English.

One should be a little careful with the terms here. An International Driver's Permit is the correct term. In the US you can get one from AAA. As someone else said they cost about $30. There is also a company that sells a product called IDL. These are bogus and the Boys in Brown have caught onto that.

There is a very long detailed thread around here that goes over all of this. I found it to be quite useful.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

As long as your current driving license is current and not expired, they could help you getting new Thai license!

Good luck

You need to also have a type of licence on your US DL. Such as Class B, C, M for Moped or motorcycle. 

 

I moved here from Seattle and didn't even realise that my WA State DL didn't have a class on it. 

 

I never paid it any attention. And only found out when I went to the Land Transportation Office here and they informed me. 

 

No class or motorbike endorsement on my US DL  meant I had to do the road test.

 

It was also required that I sit through a five hour driving in Thailand video course.

 

At first I wasn't thrilled about it, but by the time it was over I was happy to have sat through and gain some knowledge. 

 

As I said two road test one for motorcycle and since I wanted a vehicle licence a road test for a car as well. 

 

There is also a 50 question computer test. You can only miss 5 questions. More than that you have to retake the next day. 

 

 

Edited by Rocketboy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dutcher said:

You might need an international driving license document to go with your original foreign driving license. Not sure if you need that for a US one since it’s already in English.

Me and a friend who got our Thai DL at the same time didn't have or need any type international document....permit or DL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rocketboy said:

Me and a friend who got our Thai DL at the same time didn't have or need any type international document....permit or DL. 

But you mentioned that you needed to do the full exam?

I could exchange my Dutch car driving license, together with a International Driver's Permit I got in Holland, for a Thai one, with only a few simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception) and a 45 minute video.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi All,

Thank you everybody for all the replies and comments!  To be clear, I will be in Thailand on a retirement visa and  I will use the Thai DL as an ID.  I will not be driving a car or a motorbike for now.  I will consider driving a motorbike only 6 months or a year after my arrival. 

On a different note, I think that if you are in Thailand for a short time, an International Driving Permit from AAA will allow a person to operate a motorbike or a car for about a month or two.

I just read the comments by Rocketboy and Dutcher as I am typing this reply.  I have a Class C DL from California so I will get a Thai DL to operate a car.  Since I will be using the DL as a ID, it will be OK.

I will bring my US driver license to Thailand to get a Thai DL.  On the next trip home to the US, I will just leave the US license in America.

Next year when and if I decide to drive a motorbike, I will take the driving lessons and then apply for a DL for motorbike.  I will do exactly the same thing as Rocketboy.  I will take it super slow as first and only drive on the regular roads when I am really comfortable with my bike.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

But you mentioned that you needed to do the full exam?

I could exchange my Dutch car driving license, together with a International Driver's Permit I got in Holland, for a Thai one, with only a few simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception) and a 45 minute video.

Yes I did all of that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

But you mentioned that you needed to do the full exam?

I could exchange my Dutch car driving license, together with a International Driver's Permit I got in Holland, for a Thai one, with only a few simple tests (color recognition, reaction time, depth perception) and a 45 minute video.

45 minute video I think my friend had to sit through something like that. He had a class on his GA DL and only got DL for car. 

 

He took the computer test as well. As far as I know everyone regardless of what DL you have has to take that test. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share




  • COVID-19

    Any posts or topics which the moderation team deems to be rumours/speculatiom, conspiracy theory, scaremongering, deliberately misleading or has been posted to deliberately distort information will be removed - as will BMs repeatedly doing so. Existing rules also apply.

  • Advertise on Pattaya Addicts
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • For those that don't know, I did Friday meetings before many years ago,  I feel like we are missing a regular meeting for members,  I am aware guys meet at PA affiliated bars. But I want to start meeting people again, I'm inviting the guys following my YouTube also.

      The meetings is a chance to get to meet each other,  I plan to be at every meeting, I also have Dean from Dive bar that has offered to help out with a crawl after.
      The meetings will be  Monday  6 pm - 8 pm each week.  (The improvised bar crawl will commence at 8 p.m.  Dean will make his own plans for that.)

      Due to low numbers of people in town, I will start the meetings in our bars to help our girls and managers, please check back often incase things are changed.  I will be sharing the love around town later, but Soi 6 is first on my list (including bars that are friendly competition)   
      If bar owners want us to have a meeting at their bar,  they need to have a minimum of 10 girls.  I'm not dragging people to empty bars for favours.
      Please help us invite other members, it takes a while to get momentum.
      Monday 6 pm - 8pm  (then bar crawl after)
      21st March - Playpen Soi 6
      28th March - Night wish bar Soi 6
      4th April - Toy Box bar Soi 6
      11th April - Repent Soi 6
      18th April - where angels play Soi 6
      25th April -  (next bar we have open)

      2nd May - (next bar we have open)
      9th May - Cooters bar soi 6 
      16th May - Hot shots bar Soi 6
      23rd May - (next bar we have open)
      30th of May - Lust soi 6 
      6th of June - Illuzion
      13th of June - (next bar we have open)

      I look forward to meeting people again.
      • 60 replies
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.