IGNORED

Motorbike License

Yabusaki

I contacted 2 agencies today(7 Nov, 2022) for a motorcycle only license.  Mots wouldn't give me a price via line they suggested I come to their shop to hear all their wonderful options. Sure enough when I got there I got the hard sell; 4,500 might take until the New Year, 10,000 much quicker, 20,000 super duper quicker. I can't imagine paying 20,000 for a motorcycle license. 

I then contacted Nan Expat Services she was great she made me an initial appointment, told me what to bring, and told me the price up front, which is 500 Baht cheaper and no hard sell. 

8 hours ago, flythai said:

I contacted 2 agencies today(7 Nov, 2022) for a motorcycle only license.  Mots wouldn't give me a price via line they suggested I come to their shop to hear all their wonderful options. Sure enough when I got there I got the hard sell; 4,500 might take until the New Year, 10,000 much quicker, 20,000 super duper quicker. I can't imagine paying 20,000 for a motorcycle license. 

I then contacted Nan Expat Services she was great she made me an initial appointment, told me what to bring, and told me the price up front, which is 500 Baht cheaper and no hard sell. 

Thank for sharing. For others it would be useful to tell what she asked you to bring.

• Like 2

Thanks RB, Nan asked me to bring my passport, 2 passport photos, and proof of my residence which in my case was a copy of my lease agreement. Nan charges 4,000 Baht for motorcycle license. Also, here's an update on this process:

1. 7 Nov, 2022 - Contacted Nan Expat Services on 7 Nov, 2022.

2. 8 Nov, 2022 - Met Nan at the Drivers License Office. I provided Nan with my passport, 2 passport photos, and proof of my residence(copy of my lease). Waited in line for approx half an hour to schedule my:

A. 5 Hour Video Class on Motorcycle Driving/Safety in Thailand. Sunday 13 Nov, 2022 8am-1pm. 500 Baht.

B. Motorcycle Drivers Exam(50 questions) on Monday, 14 Nov, 2022 at 8AM. 

Hopefully I'll pass the exam lol. I'm not sure if I have to be tested on an actual motorbike. Right now if everything goes well I should have my motorcycle license next week. Fingers crossed. 

Finally, I'll say again Nan has been great. She's a very easy person to work with and a very hard worker. A+!

13 hours ago, flythai said:

2. 8 Nov, 2022 - Met Nan at the Drivers License Office. I provided Nan with my passport, 2 passport photos, and proof of my residence(copy of my lease). Waited in line for approx half an hour to schedule my:

How about a medical certificate?

1 minute ago, Rocketboy said:

I did not have to provide one with my agent.

It magically was taken care of.

2 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

Yes, I think LA is right by having an agent it will be magically taken care of. Which begs the question what's the point of a medical certificate? as riding a motorcycle in Thailand practically guarantees horrific death!

8 hours ago, flythai said:

Yes, I think LA is right by having an agent it will be magically taken care of. Which begs the question what's the point of a medical certificate? as riding a motorcycle in Thailand practically guarantees horrific death!

With that fatalistic attitude, way of thinking or whatever it is ...maybe it's best you don't buy and  ride a bike or even get on a bike again as a passenger!

I did it all by myself getting my DL, and a medical certificate was required!

Edited by Rocketboy

2 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

With that fatalistic attitude, way of thinking or whatever it is ...maybe it's best you don't buy and  ride a bike or even get on a bike again as a passenger!

I did it all by myself getting my DL, and a medical certificate was required!

You had several friends to help you a lot and I can't believe you wrote a nasty response like that.                                                                                                                      Jack

9 hours ago, axunjaxn said:

You had several friends to help you a lot and I can't believe you wrote a nasty response like that.                                                                                                                      Jack

Nasty response, surely you are joking! 555

What is nasty in your eyes? 

Several friends helped me?.....well you did by letting me drive your car and taking me out to DoLT a few times! And Donut did, that was four years ago and I can't think of who else maybe you do and can mention here if you need.

If you want credit....I mentioned that back when I wrote up the detailed process of me getting my DL in my ongoing thread!

When I said I did it all by myself I was alluding to the fact that I didn't use an agency! 

The BM who I responded to is a new friend who has rode with me on my bike. I helped him or actually found his very nice condo in my building! I've also provided him with info on a few things.

On 08/11/2022 at 17:44, flythai said:

Thanks RB, Nan asked me to bring my passport, 2 passport photos, and proof of my residence which in my case was a copy of my lease agreement. Nan charges 4,000 Baht for motorcycle license. Also, here's an update on this process:

A. 5 Hour Video Class on Motorcycle Driving/Safety in Thailand. Sunday 13 Nov, 2022 8am-1pm. 500 Baht.

Hopefully I'll pass the exam lol. I'm not sure if I have to be tested on an actual motorbike. Right now if everything goes well I should have my motorcycle license next week. Fingers crossed. 

Finally, I'll say again Nan has been great. She's a very easy person to work with and a very hard worker. A+!

Thanks for the detailed info.

What is it that the agent is doing? ...she is getting you an appointment quicker?? ...or something else? If so, how long would the queue have been doing it yourself. I have zero knowledge of this subject, in case it seems like a daft question!

6 hours ago, Rocketboy said:

Nasty response, surely you are joking! 555

What is nasty in your eyes? 

Several friends helped me?.....well you did by letting me drive your car and taking me out to DoLT a few times! And Donut did, that was four years ago and I can't think of who else maybe you do and can mention here if you need.

If you want credit....I mentioned that back when I wrote up the detailed process of me getting my DL in my ongoing thread!

When I said I did it all by myself I was alluding to the fact that I didn't use an agency! 

The BM who I responded to is a new friend who has rode with me on my bike. I helped him or actually found his very nice condo in my building! I've also provided him with info on a few things.

Good. Glad to hear that. I do not need or want any credit. Friends never do.

Jack

2 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

What is it that the agent is doing? ...she is getting you an appointment quicker?? ...or something else? If so, how long would the queue have been doing it yourself. I have zero knowledge of this subject, in case it seems like a daft question!

As far as I can tell, agents are usually only as valuable as the contacts they have, and for interpretive purposes when dealing with officials (if you don't know Thai)

The agent will have their inside person on Line and/or have their phone number and can get in-touch in order to cut some lines/procedures for you, and I think the agent will pay the contact for that.

They can also be handy for knowing procedure, but there's not much that isn't written of online these days.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2022 at 16:16, flythai said:

The point of the medical certificate seems to be to certify that you have a pulse, and to provide an easy few baht to the issuer.

I managed to survive a couple of decades and more than 300,000 km on a motorcycle in Thailand with neither an accident nor a ticket….. and am far from unique in doing that.

6 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

Whatever it is that they do, it will be a poor parody of the good old days when you gave a few ฿ details and photos met up the next day and trotted off with your Thai license. 

6 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

So far she's put my mind at ease more than anything else. As of this last Monday I knew very little on what was required to get a motorcycle license. The first agency I visited suggested it may take MONTHS to get a license unless I paid them 10,000 or 20,000 Baht. That's when I contacted Nan. She told me what paperwork to bring and meet her up at the license bureau at 1PM. The line took about 20-30 minutes and I was out of there. She needed my passport until later in the day, but I ended up getting it from her the next day. Now it's Thursday I'm scheduled to watch 5 hours of video on Sunday morning then hook up with Nan again at the license bureau on Monday, take the eye and computer exam and probably one or two other things and I'll have my license that day. Finally, yes I probably could have done this myself but everytime I do something like this I meet nice people, it's actually been kind of fun and 4k-5k Baht doesn't really hurt my wallet ymmv. 

Oh I forgot I have the link to the exam study guide if anyone wants the link just let me know!

14 minutes ago, flythai said:

Monday, take the eye and computer exam and probably one or two other things and I'll have my license that day.

You think that you’ll also need to take the motorbike driving test? Thanks for keeping us updated 👍

30 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

You think that you’ll also need to take the motorbike driving test? Thanks for keeping us updated 👍

Yes, I think she mentioned I'll have to get on a motorbike but that it's super easy. If all goes well I will have my Thai motorcycle license in less than 4 days🤞

14 minutes ago, flythai said:

Yes, I think she mentioned I'll have to get on a motorbike but that it's super easy. If all goes well I will have my Thai motorcycle license in less than 4 days🤞

I think the most difficult part is that you have to keep driving straight on a slightly elevated line. But not very hard. Good luck :Good_Luck:

3 minutes ago, Dutcher said:

I think the most difficult part is that you have to keep driving straight on a slightly elevated line. But not very hard. Good luck :Good_Luck:

Not that hard to pass, but the full beam is hard to do. Barely anyone in our group made it the whole way. Instructors kept falling off as well.

All they're looking for is good balance/control for a reasonable period. If we could do it for 2/3rds of the beam they accepted that.

Interesting @flythai is only mentioning the one video session. 

Our groups had to do a 10 hour video day plus a 5 hour video day (as well as eye/reaction tests, practical test and theory test, of course)

On 08/11/2022 at 17:44, flythai said:

Could have done all that yourself, not any different, except cost B250 ish for licence doing on your own

The questions are very hard for farangs many are car related, not many pass first time, you have to get 45 right, has she given you any help, if not you can find them samples  online

Swat up, you will need it

I am also going through the process of getting my Thai drivers license, both car and motorcycle. Like @Rocketboy I am doing it myself. So far I have gotten my medical certificate 400฿ and my residence document from immigration, two copies for a total of 600฿.

Went to transportation office and because I have my international drivers permit for a car its a simple change over to get my drivers license for a vehicle. I scheduled an appointment for the motorcycle test for next Thursday. Like @flythai said you do need to take the 50 question test. Which you have to get 45 out of 50 right before you move on to anything else in the motorcycle license process. I will update as I do and learn more. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to keep it 10 X 10 with you, I'd rather be in  Pattaya mofo.

TR's:

Gone till Nov.

Low Season Awaits....

TR3

3 minutes ago, JustL said:

I am also going through the process of getting my Thai drivers license, both car and motorcycle. Like @Rocketboy I am doing it myself. So far I have gotten my medical certificate 400฿ and my residence document from immigration, two copies for a total of 600฿.

Went to transportation office and because I have my international drivers permit for a car its a simple change over to get my drivers license for a vehicle. I scheduled an appointment for the motorcycle test for next Thursday. Like @flythai said you do need to take the 50 question test. Which you have to get 45 out of 50 right before you move on to anything else in the motorcycle license process. I will update as I do and learn more. 

Good luck in getting you’re M/C license mate, I’m sure you’ll secure it first go. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JustL said:

Each time I check requirements at the LTO I have been told 1 x medical certificate + photocopy and 1 x Certificate of Residence + photocopy.

Just some info for anyone with an ASEAN Licence, eg Philippines, Vietnam etc. They are recognized in Thailand without an IDP, under a recipricol agreement. Been checked twice this month with no problems.