IGNORED

Indian search ongoing

Masala Twist went there months ago and was not impressed! Food just wasn't that good!

• 9 months later...
On 17/07/2020 at 11:50, bluechef said:

A little thing that annoys me in Pattaya is you cannot look at a menu outside an Indian restaurant.without a staff member coming out and talking you through it.

I'm very late to the party here! I get to London annually and always get to Brick Lane. If you don't know it, it's a street with scores of Indian restaurants, obviously in competition. Many have spruikers and some of them are in traditional dress, most will cut a deal to get you in for entrees, mains, beer etc -  and then others have no one out the front and cost a little more. Probably obvious, but all of my memorable meals there have been at the latter type of place. 

In Pattaya, Ali Baba is my pick. 

For the Londoners, it's the Rajasthan(s) in the city. Phaal is madness.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I have noticed, over the past few weeks, several new Indian restaurants spring up around Pattaya.

• 6 months later...

I never found any Indian Restaurant in Pattaya to be great to be honest. I find them over priced, expensive & the food, just ok at best.  

• Like 1

I've lived in Pattaya now for over a decade and I love Indian food, but sadly decent places seem thin on the ground and I'm reluctant to try any of the many I see which have zero customers inside.

However, there is one place that consistently delivers good Indian food and I usually eat there several times a month walking past at least 3 other Indian restaurants on my 15 minute walk there.

Everest - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063652477195

They are on GRAB too.

It is located near 2nd Road on the soi parallel to Soi Honey, just up from the backdoor of what used to be called Retox.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

On 13/02/2023 at 02:12, roger buttmore said:

I've lived in Pattaya now for over a decade and I love Indian food, but sadly decent places seem thin on the ground and I'm reluctant to try any of the many I see which have zero customers inside.

However, there is one place that consistently delivers good Indian food and I usually eat there several times a month walking past at least 3 other Indian restaurants on my 15 minute walk there.

Everest - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063652477195

They are on GRAB too.

It is located near 2nd Road on the soi parallel to Soi Honey, just up from the backdoor of what used to be called Retox.

Had the set non veg thali there last night.

199 baht.

Chicken curry, aloo chana, pillauo rice, onion banji and an onion nan.

Not bad but doubt any of the food was anything more than microwaved.

If you have a smallish appetite it would be adequate.

To compare this food to a decent curry house in the UK would be laughable.

Pleasant Napelese family and certainly one of the better options available in Pattaya.

Looking forward to getting back to blighty for a decent fish supper, Chinese and Indian food.

Pattaya's poor to medicore fayre grinds you down over time.

The carvery i go to at home would put the Robinhood and the Sportsman to shame.

It isn't that much more expensive either.

Thali food is usually pre-prepared.

It would have been a better test to order specific dishes.

I  have used Everest. I like it well enough but currently am favoring Indian Rasoi and The Kebabist (Jomtien). 

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2023 at 12:14, PeterStewart66 said:

To compare this food to a decent curry house in the UK would be laughable.

I can't disagree with that. The problem is when it comes to Indian food I am here (Pattaya), not there (UK). I worked at Broadgate for several years and every other Friday or so we'd head towards Brick Lane to our favourite Indian place and gorge ourselves on delicious Indian food. I miss that food.

I still like Everest, but they seem to have employed the most miserable middle-aged Thai woman who doesn't speak a word of English. That miserable face is off-putting. There's a constant stream of Grab drivers in and out so it seems more eat at home than inside these days. Perhaps the new staff has had an impact.

I should give Tikka Center at the top of Soi Honey another go. Over the years I've likely had 100 meals from there but not for some time. Ali is always friendly but it did seem tastier several years ago around the time the fat lad worked there.

Curry Home (near Cheap Charlies on Buakhao) used to be excellent, but the chef changed some years ago. No more from there for me.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

The chicken curry at the Indian Stall in the basement food court in Central Festival is really good. Freshly prepared and very tasty. I used to go there every alternate day during my last visit in December.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Tarka House Soi 13/4 was recommended to me by a restaurant manager.

Owner is from Bangladesh and has had the restaurant for 17 years.

Ordered chicken biryani and chana masala.

Servings were very generous and the food was lovely.

Very reasonably priced, pleasantly served in a timely fashion.

Will be back soon. Certainly the best curry house i have found in central Pattaya by a country mile.

IMG_20230712_172413.jpg

IMG_20230712_174322.jpg

Returned today for another meal.

Chicken Tikka, Aloo Gobi and a few chapattis.

Pictures tell the story. Generous portions and beautifully cooked in the tandoor.

IMG_20230714_180231.jpg

IMG_20230714_172603.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 14/07/2023 at 12:06, PeterStewart66 said:

Returned today for another meal.

Chicken Tikka, Aloo Gobi and a few chapattis.

Pictures tell the story. Generous portions and beautifully cooked in the tandoor.

IMG_20230714_180231.jpg

IMG_20230714_172603.jpg

That's a great find, prices are not too bad either. Are you able to request the spice levels required?

Zaika on second road opposite Ripleys Believe it or not. I’ve recommended this place numerous times.
I love their chicken Jalfrezi it’s nice and thick. Nothing worse than watery/oily curry. I go a few times every trip.

3 hours ago, ruudebwoy77 said:

That's a great find, prices are not too bad either. Are you able to request the spice levels required?

Just tell them how you want it.

• 1 month later...

Everest Indian (actually Nepalese) Curry house is still very good. They do a special set menu for 200 baht. Best part for me are the home made condiments with the meal. Their home made mango lime pickle is sublime.  

On 12/07/2023 at 06:53, PeterStewart66 said:

Tarka House Soi 13/4 was recommended to me by a restaurant manager.

Went here with a friend during my recent visit to Pattaya.  It's as good as described, lovely spicing, large portions, and very reasonable prices. 

Lady M. and I ordered a variety of dishes between us, and told them to spice them as they would if they were cooking for their grandma (all the way up to vindaloo).  Spice palette was hearty and balanced, and heat levels were as expected. 

Pleasant staff lends to a good atmosphere for enjoying the food.  They greeted my friend by name (he's a 50% resident and goes there every week when in country).

Recommended.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

The problem with Indian restaurants in Pattaya is that there are way too many of them and not enough customers. So, the business model is to generally have smaller portions so that you order more, and the dishes are paneer (cottage cheese), chicken, or lentils based (garbanzo beans, kidney beans, dals). Indian food typically has a lot of fresh vegetables and vegetarian choices but those tend to be limited in Pattaya. In addition to the restaurants already mentioned, for South Indian food, Madras Darbar opposite Central has some options - most other restaurants are Nepali or North Indian food. I agree its better not to order the thalis as they are generally overspiced and not freshly made.

The Indian tour groups visiting from India typically go to two buffet restaurants. Vedas is opposite LK emerald, and has a lot of tour groups. Though its a buffet, due to the very large volume of customers, the food is generally fresh & tasty - be warned though that during peak times it can be super crowded. They have been around for a while. I think the price here is 300 baht if I remember correctly.

There is also another buffet called Asian delight near the Taco Bell and Pizza Hut on Beach Rd. You have to walk down a flight of stairs and go the right. Its just 200 baht currently, and they also have a lot of tour groups so the food is fresh and not a stale buffet. They will also bring fresh naans or rotis to your table.

Hopefully, there is some consolidation and if a smaller number survive they could offer more quality and choices.

Everest is my Favourite and Madras Dabar is also good

We visited the one in the middle opposite Central Festival; oredered meal & a beer, sorry sir we're from South India & don't serve Alcohol...lying fucks, they didn't have a licence. 🤨

Prawn Madras came, hang on, these are frozen prawns? Sorry sir fresh prawns not available on market...aargh!

Check Bin & you'll never be seeing me again. 

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

On 24/10/2023 at 03:43, michaelduni said:

The problem with Indian restaurants in Pattaya is that there are way too many of them and not enough customers. So, the business model is to generally have smaller portions so that you order more, and the dishes are paneer (cottage cheese), chicken, or lentils based (garbanzo beans, kidney beans, dals). Indian food typically has a lot of fresh vegetables and vegetarian choices but those tend to be limited in Pattaya. In addition to the restaurants already mentioned, for South Indian food, Madras Darbar opposite Central has some options - most other restaurants are Nepali or North Indian food. I agree its better not to order the thalis as they are generally overspiced and not freshly made.

The Indian tour groups visiting from India typically go to two buffet restaurants. Vedas is opposite LK emerald, and has a lot of tour groups. Though its a buffet, due to the very large volume of customers, the food is generally fresh & tasty - be warned though that during peak times it can be super crowded. They have been around for a while. I think the price here is 300 baht if I remember correctly.

There is also another buffet called Asian delight near the Taco Bell and Pizza Hut on Beach Rd. You have to walk down a flight of stairs and go the right. Its just 200 baht currently, and they also have a lot of tour groups so the food is fresh and not a stale buffet. They will also bring fresh naans or rotis to your table.

Hopefully, there is some consolidation and if a smaller number survive they could offer more quality and choices.

Think you should pay a visit to Tarka House before making generalisations.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PeterStewart66 said:

Think you should pay a visit to Tarka House before making generalisations.

Yes, thanks for the recommendation. Your experience there and the pictures look great - will try it for sure, and am always happy to learn when I wrong about something.

• Like 1

Any advise on Pattaya restaurant servicing goat biryani. Had one with the goat meat simply melts in my month

• 3 months later...

Just tried a random one on 2nd Road near New Plaza heading towards Klang, Rasol, Indian grub via Bangladesh staff…<_<

Noisy lot behind the counter, one sneezing, my Chicken Kadai arrived, on the bone which was not mentioned on the menu, sauce was delicious but after hacking away I noticed the meat was pink in the middle, downed the cheap cutlery & meal over.

One best avoided, they did offer to replace it but the damage was done. Not cheap either.

IMG_7970.jpeg

IMG_7972.jpeg

IMG_7974.jpeg

IMG_7975.jpeg

Edited by Petesie

Tried Curry Home after over a years Hiatus, on Buakhao, slightly disappointing. Aloo Paratha was a bit soggy, not many pieces of chicken which had never seen a tandoori skewer; sauce had some chilies etc which were obviously added after the fact. They also never asked what strength I’d prefer.

Looked like the place has had a makeover since my last visit but I won’t be rushing back. <_<

IMG_7952.jpeg

IMG_7953.jpeg

IMG_7954.jpeg

IMG_7955.jpeg

IMG_7958.jpeg

Edited  by petesie (see edit history)
Only staff can see this message
  •  

• Like 3