IGNORED

Indian search ongoing

On 11/06/2020 at 12:11, jimboh said:

Yesterday, went to Retox Game on, had their daily special, chicken tikka masala, outstanding meal and great value at 199B.

As good a curry as I have had at any Indian restaurant around Pattaya.

Highly recommended.

Retox curry thumbnail_IMG_1421.jpg

Glad to report, after another visit last night, still great-also, pints of Heineken 100B till 7pm.

Curry meal and 3 pints, for 500B, great value. 

I live in Birmingham UK and there`s load of Desi pubs opening, I can get mixed grill - chicken wings, chicken tikka, lamb chops and shish kebabs, portion of curry sauce and a nan for about £12 (500bt)

In Thailand its thai food every time for me, all the pictures the indian food looks like slop.

114.JPG

Desi pubs are very popular in the West Midlands area in UK where Punjabi Sikh’s have taken over pubs in the old factory / Inner city areas and changed them into pub restaurants, the food is basic cooking and is absolutely superb, the pubs are packed every night.

For me I’m not knocking Pattaya curry but I’ll wait till I get home.

Google - West Midlands desi pubs

Thanks for that, sounds great.

A mate from UK was telling me recently that the "in thing" in UK was tandoori grill type food.

Must say, much as I love Indian food, not sure if I was out for a few beers, having the strong smell of Indian food would be appreciated.

Aside, I do note a trend starting in Pattaya. 

Punch and Judy does Italian food, alongside Italian food.

The new Big and Whistle on Soi 7 will be a combo place, with Indian food served alongside pub grub.

The Hungry Panda on Linkee, a type of burger joint with Chinese food. 

A little thing that annoys me in Pattaya is you cannot look at a menu outside an Indian restaurant.without a staff member coming out and talking you through it. Hello sir food very good all fresh we have blah blah blah etc, It kind of puts me off. I ask them to leave me alone to browse the menu, but they never do. I hate it when people try to over sell to me, Is it just  me, I never seem to get this in Thai or other restaurants.

Edited by bluechef

1 hour ago, jimboh said:

Thanks for that, sounds great.

A mate from UK was telling me recently that the "in thing" in UK was tandoori grill type food.

Must say, much as I love Indian food, not sure if I was out for a few beers, having the strong smell of Indian food would be appreciated.

Aside, I do note a trend starting in Pattaya. 

Punch and Judy does Italian food, alongside Italian food.

The new Big and Whistle on Soi 7 will be a combo place, with Indian food served alongside pub grub.

The Hungry Panda on Linkee, a type of burger joint with Chinese food. 

When I walked past the Big and whistle a few days ago, It looked shut to me with a for sale sign. 

8 hours ago, ronthebrummie said:

Desi pubs are very popular in the West Midlands area in UK where Punjabi Sikh’s have taken over pubs in the old factory / Inner city areas and changed them into pub restaurants, the food is basic cooking and is absolutely superb, the pubs are packed every night.

For me I’m not knocking Pattaya curry but I’ll wait till I get home.

Google - West Midlands desi pubs

This sounds like a good idea, a recent trend over the last few years is Indian restaurants going up market, Becoming more opulent. Most people want a beer and curry for not too much money, Not fancy plates and cutlery, with starched linen.

• 2 weeks later...

Indians eating at an Indian restaurant does not suggest a great Indian meal. 

Don't get me wrong; I love Indian food, and a packed restaurant in India is probably a good sign. But in Thailand, Indian tourists want any Indian food at all (because they're looking for a tame, close-to-home, almost-like-home experience while insisting loudly that Thai food can't be trusted because everyone eats rats and bugs while assuming that no one around them speaks their language(s)) and a lot of them are going to whichever restaurant the packaged tour contracted with, where there's no incentive to deliver quality. This is not the same thing as a local foodie in Delhi telling you where the hidden gems are.

It's sad, but there is probably much better Indian food in London if you know where to look than there is in Thailand, other than that one super famous Indian chef in Bangkok somewhere (I'll dig up his name and post it here) if you're curious about modern Indian fine dining. 

• Like 2

This is the guy I mentioned above; he's an El Bulli trained chef, and is applying molecular gastronomy approaches to modern Indian food: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaggan_Anand#Other_restaurants

Looks like he closed one restaurant (named after himself) and immediately opened another one with new investors (also named after himself), so ...sounds like a chef to me. 

This is the one I'd definitely try to do if I could squeeze in a reservation and save up for it. But possibly not the same kind of experience if you're out for a drink and craving a kabab. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2019 at 02:11, greyvlegz said:

The best indian food this indian has had is from the place closest to The Base - its right opposite to soi 11 on 2nd road, has a pretty girl or the usual potbelly indian sitting in front on sidewalk taking orders. They deliver as well. Decent prices and excellent taste esp the tikka masala etc

Yes this place is called Curry Heaven.  They have some good priced Thali's which is sort of a combo meal.  For 220 I got rice, dal, veg curry and chicken masala, nan and papadam.  The pretty daughter is still there. Tried to find the combo on Grab/FoodPanda, might only be available direct.

While I enjoy Indian food, I just can't stand the constant near rip-off.  You want rice? 90B.  You want beer, forget it.  You want a five cent piece of bread?  70B.  Add two cents of garlic?  Now 90B.  Curry of same ingredients as Thai food, 300B.  Oh could we rip you off more?  Yes we will add VAT.  Did you like our service?  Too bad, we added 10% anyway.  I only order it take out now, and stick with thalis. Or find a non-Indian run place and hope for the best.

• 3 months later...

Went to Beer Hub on Tree town a few days ago, nice spot, roof terrace.

Jalfrezi chicken and nan good, reasonably priced-for Pattaya,  missus had pad ke mou talay, good but well overpriced. 

As for the guinness, crap and a total rip off at 269B.

thumbnail_IMG_2755.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2760.jpg

6 hours ago, jimboh said:

Any ideas what the rounding on bill is?

Makes the bill a whole number 984, instead of 983.60

Edited by robert6996
added more

Player in the Game of Life

• 1 month later...

Tesco currently doing a good deal on their Indian curry sauces. Simple to make, and will work out a cheap meal.

Also, great news that Mr Bau, who had a food cart in front of Treetown for years and made outstanding Chicken Tikka, is back cooking and doing deliveries, got 4 sticks coming today. He is also doing 3 different types of Thai sausages, so missus is all over that.

tesco thumbnail_IMG_3016.jpg

On 17/07/2020 at 10:50, bluechef said:

A little thing that annoys me in Pattaya is you cannot look at a menu outside an Indian restaurant.without a staff member coming out and talking you through it. Hello sir food very good all fresh we have blah blah blah etc, It kind of puts me off. I ask them to leave me alone to browse the menu, but they never do. I hate it when people try to over sell to me, Is it just  me, I never seem to get this in Thai or other restaurants.

Haha, I hear you mate. But...

Me and my mate were walking round Pattaya and, after being hassled in that annoying manner by a yappy overbearing Indian dude outside an Indian eaterie, we were both having a good grumble about it.

Then my mate said: 'Yeah... funny how, when it's the exact same spiel from a cute half-naked bird with a killer smile and great tits outside a beer bar or go-go, our reaction's, er, ever so slightly different...'. :wink:

Tom Tit

Edited by Tom Tit

Ron went home for a meal and a wash, but what he had seen over there did not let him rest.

• 1 month later...

Indian By Nature are doing a 20% discount for the month of January, just be sure to mention it before ordering.

Must say, their lamb curry's are outstanding.

• 4 weeks later...

Went to curry home last night, on Soi Buakhao near Lengkee junction.

Nice food, would recommend. Portions generous. 

This was our third time here in the past year and would be one of the best I have found in Pattaya.

thumbnail_IMG_3589.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3590.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3591.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_3592.jpg

• Like 2

The only criticism I would have, is that the chicken shashlik should have come on a bed of onions and maybe green peppers. Also, forgot to mention that the buttered nan was outstanding. 

• 1 month later...

Have been living in pattya for over 10 years and tried most mentioned in the thread and could not find any authentic restaurant with proper curry and taste !! Most of them are highly priced or have poor quality !! Have been eating in Resturant name “Indian Rasoi”every Sunday for past 2 years  (you can google it) and found it to be best in pattaya and Bangkok with very reasonable prices !! Highly recommended on google reviews as well !! Give it all try and you will not disappointed!! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The outstanding IBN doing a special discounted menu, unfortunately no lamb.

Not sure if they will add +++ 

IBN thumbnail_IMG_4546.png

• 1 month later...

Had a takeaway last night from Tarka House and glad to report, was really good.

And they do free delivery and 20% off too.

Will repeat. My top 3 right now in Pattaya would be

1/ Curry Home

2/ Tarka House.

3/ Masala Twist.

And of course, IBN would be also in the mix.

• 2 months later...

Last night, tried Dawat, its on second road near Avenue. Ordered off Hungry now, so was able to get the PL80 discount. Excellent value meal, and really tasty. I forgot to say make spicy and was glad, as it was rather spicy anyway. Missus spoke to driver, he told her that he was 7th in the queue, place busy. 

• 2 weeks later...

This week, ordered off HN, from Swaad, they were doing a decent discount, was under 500B for the meal. Overall, a good meal at a decent price.

ind IMG_5784.PNG