IGNORED

Indian search ongoing

As a lover of Indian food and having tried more than a dozen places over the years, I still have to find a place that hits the spot. Also, find most Indian places overpriced.

I tried this place last night, looked good from outside, just before lights at junction of Klang and second road. There are about half a dozen Indian places nearby.

First negative upon entering was it was too hot, inside, at around 20-00hrs. Noticed only 1 of the 2 A/C was on/working. But not unbearable, so I ordered a coke zero. Noticed the guy heading outside and returning with 2 cans of coke zero, one he gave to me and the other to the fridge. Noticed the lack of drinks in the fridge, only 2 or 3 bottles of beers and soft drinks.

So I studied the menu and it was uninspiring, missing many of the bog standard Indian dishes, like Jalfrezi, Vindaloo, Bhuna etc. Seemed to be a lot of vegetarian dishes.  

So I ordered the buttered chicken-220B, buttered nan-40B, and egg bhriji-120B,

The buttered chicken was really good, adequate size, and the nan was the best nan I have had at an Indian in Pattaya. The Egg dish was small and tasted OK, but way over priced for what is just a scrambled egg dish with a few veg. I did not go for rice, as the pulao rice was overpriced at 120B, I think.

Service was OK and place looked clean.

May return but menu choice putting me off, although I am pretty sure that they would knock you up whatever dish you wanted.

IMG_5808.JPG

IMG_5809.JPG

Try this place.

The tandoor items and biryani are especially good. I would suggest this place even without the discounts but with the discounts, it's almost ridiculous. 

You can get up to 50 percent off with eatigo.com.

BTW, the other day I ordered the fish biryani which would normally be with a basic cheap white fish but I got lucky and they gave me salmon which isn't even on the menu. Not traditional but super delicious. A small yogurt is included with the biryanis. 

Edited by Kreggerz

Love the Indian food too some of the best I've had is in Bangkok but yet to find a Pattaya equivalent.

Be careful with places that don't seem to have the custom just a worrying thought how long the curries have been sitting there.

My go to is across the road from Central on 2nd road not sure of the name but the busy one. It's about 300baht for a dish so not cheap but sometimes just can't walk past without going in.

26 minutes ago, bfinkay said:

Love the Indian food too some of the best I've had is in Bangkok but yet to find a Pattaya equivalent.

Be careful with places that don't seem to have the custom just a worrying thought how long the curries have been sitting there.

My go to is across the road from Central on 2nd road not sure of the name but the busy one. It's about 300baht for a dish so not cheap but sometimes just can't walk past without going in.

You probably mean this place. Yes it's good and also expensive.

http://www.madrasdarbar.com/

Please do try Suruchi and tell us what you think. I'm not as big a fan of their curries as the guys in the video, but like I said I love their tandoori meats and biryanis. 

• Like 2

Yeah mate that's the one, will try to give yours a go when next in town I hope they have Naan :)

Everest at the back entrance to Retox Game On is my go Indian place in Patts...it's small and understated but food is very good.

Jimboh - I am probably the last person who should be commenting in this thread, as I am not a fan of Indian food. Once upon a time, I worked there for 6 months and grew to dislike it. Also, you seem to know your way around pretty well, so you have probably been to this place already, but ...

Several times when I have been in conversations about good restaurants in general someone has mentioned "Indian by Nature" over in Jomtien. Just saying.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x31029660cae6dc1d:0xa6472299045456ae!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipNElc6T3Uei4GAOoAu5ATMY9XuoBeudDwZgqIch%3Dw480-h320-k-no!5sindia+by+Nature+jomtien+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNElc6T3Uei4GAOoAu5ATMY9XuoBeudDwZgqIch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi_yZLR68fgAhXXV30KHR8QBlMQoiowCnoECAYQBg

• 4 weeks later...

Sad to say my last two visits to previously recommended Suruchi have been less than. First time they didn't have any fish or red meat. Second time, didn't spice my drink order as asked and a gobi Manchurian which was good before and actual pieces of cauliflower this time was more like fritters with small pieces of veg. I asked is this gobi? Yes, gobi. I don't think so. Still on eatigo but I'm going to give them one more try and if they haven't improved time to move on. 

I tried Suruchi a few weeks ago, wont be returning, meal was average, had a jalfrezi and the chicken was on the bone. They did honor the eatigo discount.

I did go to Fisherman by the lake about a week ago, with the missus, both had curries, pulao rice and buttered nan. The curries were good, the nan was terrible, so we then ordered a paratha and it was really good. So will return, just remember to sack the nan. Surprising, as they have the proper Indian barrel style oven.

My favourite is Little India, opposite to Papagayo and beside the Beefeaters sit out. I’ve mentioned this on a separate thread ordering Indian food can be tricky. If you order Paratha and butter chicken at Madrasdurbar you won’t be happy. Ordering Masala Dosa at a Punjabi place is again a bad idea. There’s a lot of diversity in food in Indi as with everything else. Little India is owned by a Bangladeshi and their East Indian cuisine is the best. You can try steamed rice with daal and fish curry for instance. Don’t try their biryani, it’s awful in most places in Pattaya.

• Like 3

On 18/02/2019 at 09:44, bfinkay said:

Thats the problem with most of the indian places here in Pattaya...................Ive hardly seen any customer in any of them.

• 2 weeks later...

The best indian food this indian has had is from the place closest to The Base - its right opposite to soi 11 on 2nd road, has a pretty girl or the usual potbelly indian sitting in front on sidewalk taking orders. They deliver as well. Decent prices and excellent taste esp the tikka masala etc

On 18/02/2019 at 19:24, PR1977 said:

Everest at the back entrance to Retox Game On is my go Indian place in Patts...it's small and understated but food is very good.

Absolutely. Best I've had.

5 hours ago, chelseafan said:

Absolutely. Best I've had.

I've never been to an Indian restaurant but I don't mind the supermarket meals now and again. In relation to this particular place the 2 Nicks from Ndtvi did a story on this place giving it high praise. The English can be trusted when commenting on Indian food imo.

Now that there are so many indian tourists in Pattaya where they go to eat? Surely they know where are good indian restaurants. I mean, if an Indian restaurant is full of indian customers that a good signal, isn’t?

:Dance1:

4 hours ago, Jous said:

Now that there are so many indian tourists in Pattaya where they go to eat? Surely they know where are good indian restaurants. I mean, if an Indian restaurant is full of indian customers that a good signal, isn’t?

:Dance1:

Without being stereotypical an Indian tends to eat on the cheap so quality of food isn't necessarily a factor for them. I would eat in an Indian restaurant full of Farangs. Maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by chelseafan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, chelseafan said:

Without being stereotypical an Indian tends to eat on the cheap so quality of food isn't necessarily a factor for them. I would eat in an Indian restaurant full of Farangs. Maybe I'm wrong.

It really depends on the economic level. I've been in Madras Darbar before when it's packed with very well dressed Indian families but the majority of Indian tourists here are going for things like budget thalis and they're definitely not here for the food. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d1504592-Reviews-Madras_Darbar-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Kreggerz

Alibaba has awesome Indian Food  though a bit expensive than other restaurants serving Indian food in patts .

• 2 weeks later...

Everest at the back of soi Honey, next to Retox game on is very good. Daily specials offer good value.

I know next to nothing about Indian food, but I've enjoyed the little I've had. I had lunch a while back with an Indian board member at hotel Arya on Soi Honey. (Sadly I can't recall the correct spelling of his board name). My only requirement was no meat, and he made the menu choices. I thought it was quite good, and not at all expensive. 

https://goo.gl/maps/tWYd3UsJoA92

7564305_15_b.jpg

Image from Google Maps. 

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be an explosion of Indian restaurants around town. Coming into Walking Street last night (just after the bend from Jomtien) i counted 5 Indian restaurants in about 50 yards. No wonder ther have no customers. Their prices put me off as well. Why should an Indian curry meal be double the price of a Thai spicy meal. And rice 100 + baht.

Edited by chris2004

4 hours ago, chris2004 said:

There seems to be an explosion of Indian restaurants around town. Coming into Walking Street last night (just after the bend from Jomtien) i counted 5 Indian restaurants in about 50 yards. No wonder ther have no customers. Their prices put me off as well. Why should an Indian curry meal be double the price of a Thai spicy meal. And rice 100 + baht.

I haven't been to India but I'm guessing the typical Thai curry costs more than the typical Indian curry in India.

Get the pattern?

• 3 months later...