Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Suvarnabhumi Airport Lounge options

On 23/11/2018 at 19:04, striderman said:

i thought this thread was about swampy lounges

I was talking entirely about lounges. But it isnt easy to talk about an airline lounge without mentioning the name of the airline that runs it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used Thai air biz class lounge about two years ago at bkk and imho may as well stay out in the concourse. Crowded and nothing much in the way of snacks or comfort. 

On 29/11/2018 at 08:42, Luv2Phuket said:

I flew Singapore from BKK for the first time this week, so I sampled their business class lounge.

I would give it high marks -- good food selection; nice selection of beverages (although I don't drink, so can't really speak to variety of beers, etc.).

I don't know if passengers on other Star Alliance carriers get access, but I would happily park my ass there again if flying Singapore.

You should be able to use any of the Star Alliance member airlines lounges if you're travelling in Business or are a Gold member.

Oh & I tried the Blue Ribbon lounge in Hall D, it's Bangkok Airways lounge & although nice, it's very small & the kind of lounge where they have a waitress to bring you food/drinks so don't think I would use it again as I like to grab a variety of foods / drinks & not have to go asking for them.

Of all the lounges available with Priority Pass the Air France/KLM is definitely the best one (for my tastes)

2 hours ago, tps said:

I used Thai air biz class lounge about two years ago at bkk and imho may as well stay out in the concourse. Crowded and nothing much in the way of snacks or comfort. 

The trick with Thai Air Business Class lounge is there's a bar near where you walk in where you can get wine, spirits etc... Took me a couple of times using it to find it.  But you are spot on, not the widest choice of food/drinks there. 

21 minutes ago, JB300 said:

The trick with Thai Air Business Class lounge is there's a bar near where you walk in where you can get wine, spirits etc... Took me a couple of times using it to find it.  But you are spot on, not the widest choice of food/drinks there. 

I agree, it’s very poor. I don’t use it now. I can use any Star Alliance lounge, though it can involve more walking, so tried the new Singapore Lounge last trip. It wasn’t bad and very quiet. The Eva Lounge is also decent.

I then made my way back towards my Gate and stopped in one of the small Thai Lounges on ‘B’ Concourse on the way. Hardly salubrious, but some drinks & snacks and very quiet. 

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 months later...

A summary of my two cards in keeper mode:

KnuDVwW.jpg

Keeper mode - beyond the first year;  neglecting the sign-up bonus.

Two credit cards are enough.

Two Priority Passes

If you have two Priority Pass Select cards, It makes sense to carry both when traveling both internationally and domestically.  For example, at SFO, I can use my AmEx Platinum to use the Centurion lounge, but there's a list of restaurants, bar and grills, etc. that offer a $28 credit towards menu items in lieu of using a lounge.

Another example is Boston Logan airport, use Priority Pass (1) for lounge access, Priority Pass (2) for $28 restaurant credit.

If you have both the Chase Sapphire and the AmEx Platinum, it's a good practice to carry both PPS cards when traveling.  Just make sure to have them marked so you don't inadvertently use the same one twice.

Decided against the IHG Premier card

9Nqgc5h.jpg

While the 120,000 bonus points might sound enticing, it's not really a good deal as a keeper card.

IHG rewards points are not worth 0.01, but rather an average of 0.0055, and most redeemable values on the IHG site range from 0.003 to 0.006.

Unless you're obsessed with IHG, the monetary benefits above do not account for the opportunity cost of using the Chase Sapphire Reserve (3X, 4.5X UR value) by using that card.

If you have the Chase Sapphire Reserve, I do not recommend the IHG card. 

Considering taking advantage of this offer.

• 3X points for one year on non-Travel non-Dining items.
  • Ultimate Rewards points, 4.5X value, combinable with the Chase Sapphire Reserve.
  • 3X the fisrt year, 1.5X thereafter
  • No annual fee

In-Branch Only: Chase Freedom Unlimited Offering 3x on the First $20,000 Spent

direct?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi0.wp.com%2Fthepointsguy.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F03%2FChase-Freedom-Unlimited_DETROIT-MARCH-2019-CREDIT-CARD-SHOOT-140-Edit.jpg%3Fresize%3D480%252C270px%26ssl%3D1&resize=w576

This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.

The Chase Freedom Unlimited is a great card for everyday use, as it earns you 1.5% cash back on all purchases — or 1.5x Ultimate Rewards points if you also have a more premium Chase card like the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, Chase Sapphire Reserve or Ink Business Preferred Credit Card. If you’re earning 1.5x on every purchase, that equates to a 3% return on spending based on TPG’s valuations — hard to beat among personal credit cards for purchases that don’t qualify for bonus rewards.

The Freedom Unlimited’s standard sign-up bonus is $150 back/15,000 Ultimate Rewards points after you spend $500 in the first three months. However, a new offer is now available in Chase branches that makes this no annual fee card even more appealing. New card holders who apply and are approved for the Freedom Unlimited in-branch can earn 3% cash back on all purchases in the first year, on up to $20,000 spent. After that, they’ll earn the standard 1.5%/1.5x on all purchases.

This offer has many of us who already have the Freedom Unlimited — or who don’t have any 5/24 slots open — experiencing some major envy. If you also have a credit card that earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points, the 3% back on the first $20,000 you spend translates to 3x Chase points — worth an amazing 6% based on TPG’s valuations. Maxing out this offer by spending a full $20,000 in the first year would earn you $600 in cash back, or 60,000 Chase points, worth $1,200.

TPG values Chase points so highly because of the Ultimate Rewards program‘s strong transfer partners, including British Airways, Hyatt, IHG, Southwest and United. All transfers are at a 1:1 rate, and it’s not hard to find redemptions that get you at least 2 cents per point in value. And given the well-rounded selection of airline and hotel partners, you shouldn’t have trouble finding use for your points, either.

This offer is currently only available in Chase branches, though the issuer did share with us that it will be available online at some point in April. It’s a great opportunity to rake in the UR points if you can max (or get close to maxing) out the $20,000 spend cap. And it means this card should be at the forefront of your wallet for everyday, non-bonus purchases even more than before.

direct?url=https%3A%2F%2Fi2.wp.com%2Fthepointsguy.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F02%2Fchase-freedom-unlimited-040418.png%3Fresize%3D107%252C67px%26ssl%3D1&resize=w576

On 10/09/2018 at 19:07, xc1 said:

The Oman lounge while small is the best I have tried recently at bkk and I have tried most. Top shelf liquor, food, and many service people cleaning and restocking. Priority pass gets you 2.5 hours in Oman. I was in there Saturday after leaving the EVA business class lounge disappointed. .  Concourse E

I agree with the Oman air being an excellent lounge even though it is small. It is very comfortable and has a great selection of food and drink. My silver card Oman air card gets me in without having to use my priority pass card. 

Just read this blog that highlights Priority Pass' "best lounges" (based on a survey of its members -- although I don;t recall being contacted!  555):

https://thepointsguy.com/news/priority-pass-members-say-this-is-the-programs-best-lounge/

I found it interesting that the Miracle First Class Lounge in Concourse D merited mention.  

At the of it, there is a link to this post re the 10 "best" lounges - https://thepointsguy.com/2016/09/10-best-international-priority-pass-lounges/

It highlights the Oman lounge at BKK.

I haven't tried either, but they are both on my "to do" list for upcoming trips.

Looking at the website, Priority Pass has 14 lounges at BKK.  Sadly, I think I have tried NONE of them!  55555

I'm usually somewhat disappointed in the Cathay lounge at BKK.  The noodle bar is decent, but the food otherwise seems fairly mediocre to me.  I think the Singapore lounge at BKK was much better.

I'm off to JFK next month, where I will use my Priority Pass card to grab some (free) food at Bobby Vann's Steakhouse.  The $28 credit won't cover a steak, but it's more than cover a burger, sandwich or some appetizers. 

• 2 months later...

I have two (2) Priority Pass Select memberships.  One with Chase Sapphire Reserve, the second with AmEx Platinum.  (I put "C" and "A" on the back to ensure I don't use the same one back-to-back)

I should have just gone directly to the Oman Lounge today, as I was very happy with it last time, but I decided to try Miracle Lounge.After having a small breakfast, I left the lounge and used my second card to go to Oman.

Miracle Lounge is lacks any bathroom facilities -- you must exit and use the public bathroom.  The seats are relatively nice, and the food is standard.  However, I sense a lower-class crowd (details omitted), which tells me Miracle gives access to lower level tiers.  

Oman Lounge has a more professional staff, and all around more comfortable.  The food is halal, but I like Mediterranean food, and their hummus is very good.

Oman is just all around a more pleasant experience.

22 minutes ago, 6853395 said:

I have two (2) Priority Pass Select memberships.  One with Chase Sapphire Reserve, the second with AmEx Platinum.  (I put "C" and "A" on the back to ensure I don't use the same one back-to-back)

I should have just gone directly to the Oman Lounge today, as I was very happy with it last time, but I decided to try Miracle Lounge.After having a small breakfast, I left the lounge and used my second card to go to Oman.

Miracle Lounge is lacks any bathroom facilities -- you must exit and use the public bathroom.  The seats are relatively nice, and the food is standard.  However, I sense a lower-class crowd (details omitted), which tells me Miracle gives access to lower level tiers.  

Oman Lounge has a more professional staff, and all around more comfortable.  The food is halal, but I like Mediterranean food, and their hummus is very good.

I also have two - 1 through Citi and 1 through AMEX, and I marked them, as well.

AMEX recently changed its policy and memberships through it no longer get restaurant credit, so it is important that I use the right card when I am at an airport where I can get Priority Pass credit on dining (like PF Changs at the Bradley Terminal at LAX or Bobby Van's Steakhouse at Terminal 8 at JFK)

5 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

AMEX recently changed its policy and memberships through it no longer get restaurant credit

Correct.  This was a significant advantage of having two cards.  My thinking is use the Chase for Restaurants, and the AmEx for lounge access.  

According to TPG (ThePointsGuy) the other cards are not yet following AmEx's lead.

I'm going to try the Turkish Airways lounge next time.

Anyone have feedback?

• 2 months later...

The three credit cards I use and why.

I view cards in "keeper mode" (omitting the sign-up bonus)

o6KilW4.jpg

Im always with Etihiad.. Miracle lounge im always in.. its ok... nothing to write home about,..

the lounges in Abu Dhabi are way better

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

I believe most Miracle lounges have bathroom facilities. They are not all the same. I recall, I went to one that was unenclosed, no bathroom and 1/5 the size of a regular Miracle lounge! At least I think it was called Miracle. I recall thinking this is nowhere like the ones I went to with the same name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got to drop some Chase cards before I will be eligible for the Sapphire Reserve (had 8 Chase card open at one point, but will be down to 6 shortly, split 3 personal and 3 biz). 

I'm also waiting to see if the bonus goes back to 100k, like it was when the card came out.

Now that they have closed the loophole to use it for gift cards, the AMEX incidental airline credit is pretty crappy and does not compare the credits issued by Chase or Citi.  I found a way to use it, but still have $100 left on my $250 credit from my AMEX Hilton.  Luckily -- or unluckily, depending on how you look at it, I should have a $200 change fee coming up and am hoping to use that card to cash out the remaining $100.

23 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Solid review here from a blog that was just posted:  https://onemileatatime.com/turkish-airlines-lounge-bangkok-review/

Same blog has a review of the Thai Business class lounge:  https://onemileatatime.com/thai-airways-business-lounge-bangkok-review/

Ben is obviously flying through Bangkok!  5555
Here is his review of the Miracle first class lounge:  https://onemileatatime.com/miracle-lounge-bangkok-review/

Is Ben the OP? The review clearly said there is a bathroom and shower which I have used as well which is why I thought he might have gone to another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived