IGNORED

Suvarnabhumi Airport Lounge options

9 hours ago, Jeffone said:

Priority Pass has been, for me, a waste of money.  They get you into lounges that anyone can buy in to.  When it comes to other airline lounges it is set up with such limited and off peak usages, that I cant imagine finding it useful.  As I recall, Korean Airlines at LAX only accepts it noon.  So all the evening flights... the popular ones...  "Sorry sir" 

Get unlimited Priority Pass (for 2 people) with my Citi Prestige card, fees are s$535 SGD pa which includes 25,000 airmiles (enough for an SQ return flight SIN-BKK, 1.5 flights if I can get promo flights) free worldwide WIFI with Boingo, unlimited PP lounge access (2 pax) & various other perks (concierge, hotel deals etc...) I fly 4 times most months so it's well worth it to me (Lounge access is about s$40 SGD a time).

I used to pay for Priority Pass (IIRC it was $300 USD for their silver membership which included 10 lounge accesses) but stopped when I got my Citi Premier card (IIRC fees was $193 pa, gave 10,000 air miles + free PP membership with 2 lounge access PA) 

Have never noticed any limitations on when I can access any of the lounges, just the 2 or 3 hour limit they have in some of them

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Get unlimited Priority Pass (for 2 people) with my Citi Prestige card, fees are s$535 SGD pa which includes 25,000 airmiles (enough for an SQ return flight SIN-BKK, 1.5 flights if I can get promo flights) free worldwide WIFI with Boingo, unlimited PP lounge access (2 pax) & various other perks (concierge, hotel deals etc...) I fly 4 times most months so it's well worth it to me (Lounge access is about s$40 SGD a time).

I used to pay for Priority Pass (IIRC it was $300 USD for their silver membership which included 10 lounge accesses) but stopped when I got my Citi Premier card (IIRC fees was $193 pa, gave 10,000 air miles + free PP membership with 2 lounge access PA) 

Have never noticed any limitations on when I can access any of the lounges, just the 2 or 3 hour limit they have in some of them

Korean Air in LAX does have a weird 1-7pm only policy for PP admittance. I believe that's tied into each lounge's rights to control acceptance of PP based on capacity limits, where PP is often lower priority than direct FF program members and upper cabin ticket holders. I'm betting LAX gets cooking in the evenings for direct to Asia travel. I personally would have then used the PP on a PF Chang credit in LAX if I couldn't get into a lounge.

That being said, PP is a great program, whether finding an unexpected lounge to try out or a diner credit, I enjoy the perk. BKK has a few pretty nice PP Miracle lounges. 

How do they even enforce those limits? Do they come chase you down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Generally, no.  In most high end Lounges, you present your boarding pass to enter, and the departing flight must be within 2-3 hours from the time you enter.

If there's flight delays, etc., They're generally flexible.

Professionalism, dress code, and being well mannered goes along way while traveling.

10 minutes ago, 6853395 said:

Generally, no.  In most high end Lounges, you present your boarding pass to enter, and the departing flight must be within 2-3 hours from the time you enter.

If there's flight delays, etc., They're generally flexible.

Professionalism, dress code, and being well mannered goes along way while traveling.

I've never heard of that rule about flight departure within  2-3 hours, and have never been called on it either. Had a few 5-6 hour layovers in the last few years. Spent the time in lounges without any issues. Some higher end lounges have sleeping beds/sleeping rooms, so I can't see that being a real thing with the 2-3 hour departure time rule. At least not one that is enforced. No one has ever questioned me on it. 

3 hours ago, Little Evil said:

I personally would have then used the PP on a PF Chang credit in LAX if I couldn't get into a lounge.

Regardless of whether I could get in the Korean/AF lounge, I would have opted for PF Changs!

That lounge is BY FAR the weakest of the 3 "alliance lounges" at LAX

8 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Regardless of whether I could get in the Korean/AF lounge, I would have opted for PF Changs!

That lounge is BY FAR the weakest of the 3 "alliance lounges" at LAX

Korean lounges are kind of weak everywhere, including ICN, oddly. Last time through ICN the furniture seemed all beat up and dirty. Very minimalist food/drink spread, and a line for like 2 shower rooms. Was not impressed.  Maybe I just wasn't in the F lounge, but that was pretty low end for your home city. 

2 hours ago, hioctane said:

I wouldn't know, after a couple of hours eating & drinking I'm ready for a wander anyway :)

Only time I've spent more than 2 hours in a lounge was in Dubai when (because of Emirates delay) I missed my connecting flight to Karachi & the next one was in 8 hours, wasn't worth going into town to use the hotel they offered so I spent 6 hours in the lounge.

Sorry to go OT, but that reminded me of a guy I was working with who got sent back to Dubai from Pakistan (thought he had a multi-entry visa, only had a single & had been in once) & spent 24 hours waiting in the Emirates lounge for us to sort his Visa out so he could come back.  He didn't know everything was complimentary & had no cash on him, so he spent 24 hours surrounded by free food & drink and ate nothing, drank water from the taps in the bathroom :P 

2 hours ago, Little Evil said:

I've never heard of that rule about flight departure within  2-3 hours, and have never been called on it either. Had a few 5-6 hour layovers in the last few years. Spent the time in lounges without any issues. Some higher end lounges have sleeping beds/sleeping rooms, so I can't see that being a real thing with the 2-3 hour departure time rule. At least not one that is enforced. No one has ever questioned me on it. 

Happened to me twice (pretty sure both times were in the Miracle Lounge in Hall C at BKK) where when I entered the girl behind the desk mentioned that it was a maximum of 2 hours (I ended up spending about 10 minutes in there, realised I'd be eating cheese sandwiches & peanuts so hiked it over to the Oman lounge in Hall E, passing all of the lounges in Hall D as I was so early for my flight I wanted to kill some time anyway).

It may just be certain Pay-2-Enter type lounges, that one is very small & from what I can see the only lounge in Hall C so maybe they're just stricter on it there than say Hall D where you have 2x Miracle, 1 x Blue Ribbon (Bangkok Airways) & Turkish Air lounges to choose from with your PP.  

I'm usually in the lounge 3-3.5 hours before my flight & this is the only times/lounge I recall it being mentioned 

Pretty sure I remember my mate telling me Emirates had a 6 hour limit in Colombo, as he had 8 hours between flights & had to sit around for a couple of hours before going in

Edit to add some pics 

3115934B-6B26-426B-ABD1-5F0EBC465A74.png

6A209F9B-83A5-4675-B968-FFF5AE328618.png

252ACF57-789B-472B-94DA-E72835567E10.png

6A745213-49D7-49A9-B9B0-4B36630C564E.png

I wish Priority Pass published the hours of acceptance for their card, and not just the lounge hours. 

Korean Air was the only choice in LAX and I was blocked out because it was the evening.  I have had similar issues in Hong Kong and other overseas destinations with PP.  The one lounge that was available in Seoul was non airline affiliated.  It might have been Miracle but I am not sure.  That was not a great experience.  It certainly is not the experience that would get me to pay for the card.  When I had the FF usage with Cathay their lounge in Hong Kong was stellar!  Perhaps it has ruined me for other less posh experiences. 

What CC has the best add on experience for airport lounges?  I have friends that swear by AmEx Platinum but I havent seen that much availability.  Thoughts?

31 minutes ago, Jeffone said:

I wish Priority Pass published the hours of acceptance for their card, and not just the lounge hours. 

Korean Air was the only choice in LAX and I was blocked out because it was the evening.  I have had similar issues in Hong Kong and other overseas destinations with PP.  The one lounge that was available in Seoul was non airline affiliated.  It might have been Miracle but I am not sure.  That was not a great experience.  It certainly is not the experience that would get me to pay for the card.  When I had the FF usage with Cathay their lounge in Hong Kong was stellar!  Perhaps it has ruined me for other less posh experiences. 

What CC has the best add on experience for airport lounges?  I have friends that swear by AmEx Platinum but I havent seen that much availability.  Thoughts?

The opening hours are published in their mobile app (see my pics above) 

i like my Citi Prestige Card But it is Priority Pass in terms of lounge access 

Add KAL lounge at LAX 

34579FFB-4400-41C2-A643-1E356F691435.png

22 hours ago, Jeffone said:

Priority Pass has been, for me, a waste of money.  They get you into lounges that anyone can buy in to.  When it comes to other airline lounges it is set up with such limited and off peak usages, that I cant imagine finding it useful.  As I recall, Korean Airlines at LAX only accepts it noon.  So all the evening flights... the popular ones...  "Sorry sir" 

Man, the Korean Air lounge at LAX is pitiful.  Useful if you need to sit somewhere and use the wifi or shower rooms.  This is the same with other US lounges I've been to though, even the new United lounge at LAX which is nice but barely any food selection.

As an aside, one of the Miracle lounges at HKG was pretty good on Priority Pass along with the Plaza Premium lounge in TPE.  Club Autus at HKG is one of the best I've been to but it's brand new.

Man, the Korean Air lounge at LAX is pitiful.  Useful if you need to sit somewhere and use the wifi or shower rooms.  This is the same with other US lounges I've been to though, even the new United lounge at LAX which is nice but barely any food selection.

As an aside, one of the Miracle lounges at HKG was pretty good on Priority Pass along with the Plaza Premium lounge in TPE.  Club Autus at HKG is one of the best I've been to but it's brand new.

US lounges are horrible. It seems like most doesn’t have any food except salad. Sometimes PP gives a cash voucher towards nice restaurants which is nice. Lounges in Asia are much nicer.

23 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I agree re the Cathay lounge - the noodle bar is okay, but "pretty slim" is a very generous description of their pick up & go offerings.  They are about as bad as the crap you find at domestic lounges in the USA!

I gotta try that Miracle lounge.  I have always had a perception of them as very ordinary.  

Right, the regular Miracle lounges in BKK are really ordinary.  And they're still better than any US lounge!!  I always check to see if there's a business or first class lounge since we can get into any of the lounges listed on the Priority Pass app.  Some of the first class lounges for connecting flights in China are very, very nice.

I had an hour before my flight to Manila. There many lounges clustered together in BKK and so can easily hop between them.

I stopped first at Oman. Small and empty. Small buffet with Arab food (not bad tasting). Stayed 15 minutes and left.

Next I popped over to KLM. A little bigger and busy. A bigger buffet of international finger foods.. mini burgers, mini pizza, Chinese buns, mini sandwiches. Nothing interesting. I prefer some unique foods specific to the country.

Both had a self serve liquor bar and a selection of beer.

I still think I like Miracle lounges the best, but next visit leaving BKK, I will try out some more.. like gogo hopping.[emoji23] Maybe I need to get to the airport even earlier! [emoji848]

14 minutes ago, hioctane said:

I had an hour before my flight to Manila. There many lounges clustered together in BKK and so can easily hop between them.

I stopped first at Oman. Small and empty. Small buffet with Arab food (not bad tasting). Stayed 15 minutes and left.

Next I popped over to KLM. A little bigger and busy. A bigger buffet of international finger foods.. mini burgers, mini pizza, Chinese buns, mini sandwiches. Nothing interesting. I prefer some unique foods specific to the country.

Both had a self serve liquor bar and a selection of beer.

I still think I like Miracle lounges the best, but next visit leaving BKK, I will try out some more.. like gogo hopping.emoji23.png Maybe I need to get to the airport even earlier! emoji848.png

How do you get access to these lounges, I thought they were only for BC travellers?

How do you get access to these lounges, I thought they were only for BC travellers?

They are all Priority Pass lounges. It comes as a perk with some high end credit cards or you can buy passes with Priority Pass.

On 17/09/2019 at 20:40, Jeffone said:

On 17/09/2019 at 21:17, JB300 said:

The opening hours are published in their mobile app (see my pics above) 

i like my Citi Prestige Card But it is Priority Pass in terms of lounge access 

I have Priority Pass through both my Citi Prestige AND my AMEX Platinum.  I think the Chase Sapphire Reserve also gets it.

Be careful - I had an old Hyatt-based card that got me Priority Pass, but I still had to pay $25+ to use the lounges!  It was virtually useless.

I can't speak to the Chase Sapphire Reserve because I don't have it, but here is my quick breakdown of Citi Prestige vs AMEX Platinum when it comes to lounges:

- Prestige - you get free Priority Pass Select Membership, which includes credit at participating restaurants (typically $28-30, but double that if you have a guest with you!).  I use this feature more than you would think -- as noted above, PF Changs at LAX Bradley Terminal is on the list, as is Bobby Van's Steakhouse at JFK (American terminal, which is what I try to fly to keep my Platinum status). 

Here is a list of the 30 domestic and 20 International Priority Pass restaurants and the airports where they are located as of about 3 weeks ago:  https://thepointsguy.com/news/priority-pass-adds-new-restaurant-us/

- AMEX Platinum - NO restaurant credits with their Priority Pass membership, but the Platinum AMEX also gets you access to Centurion lounges (MUCH better than any domestic lounge I have been in, but they can get absurdly crowded), access to Delta Sky Club lounges when you are flying Delta and access to Airspace and Escape lounges (I used the Escape lounge in Reno).

Currently, there are Centurion lounges in Las Vegas, Hong Kong, Dallas, Houston IAH, Miami, LaGuardia, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Seattle, BUT 6 more are schedule to open in the coming year - LAX (late 2020 at Bradley Terminal - sounds like it is going to be HUGE at nearly 14,00 sq. feet!), Phoenix (Nov. 2019), Heathrow (2020), JFK (2020), Charlotte (2020) and Denver (2020)

Conclusion: if you fly Delta a lot OR use any of the Centurion airports with frequency, AMEX is probably better.  If, on the other hand, you frequently use an airport where you can cash out restaurant credits, the Citi Prestige may suit you more.

In addition to a Priority Pass membership, both cards also get you a $100 Global Entry credit, in case you either do not have it or need to renew it.

I believe Chase Sapphire Reserve has the same credit.

23 hours ago, wdogg said:

Right, the regular Miracle lounges in BKK are really ordinary.  And they're still better than any US lounge!!  I always check to see if there's a business or first class lounge since we can get into any of the lounges listed on the Priority Pass app.  Some of the first class lounges for connecting flights in China are very, very nice.

I found the Miracle lounges in Swampy to be pretty good value for 1200 baht. They don't enforce the 2 hours. Great selection of spirits can make bloody mary's. Cold beer and soft drinks, cappuccino machine, decent selection of food, very comfortable chairs and tables, good wifi, clean bathrooms and showers. use it all the time

• 2 weeks later...
In addition to a Priority Pass membership, both cards also get you a $100 Global Entry credit, in case you either do not have it or need to renew it.

I believe Chase Sapphire Reserve has the same credit.

And if you don’t need the global entry credit, you can use it to pay for someone else’s GE application fee.

And if you don’t need the global entry credit, you can use it to pay for someone else’s GE application fee.

Really.. I didn’t know that. I thought it was only your own.

3 hours ago, legionofdoom said:

3 hours ago, hioctane said:

Really.. I didn’t know that. I thought it was only your own.

I don't know if it has to be a spouse or family, but travel bloggers definitely say you can use it on someone else's application.

Keep in mind, the $100 credit is generally limited to once every four years, so be careful about paying for someone else's unless you have another card with a credit that you can use on renewal for your own card (Global Entry is valid for 5 years).

To clarify this Global Entry matter, here are the facts:

* Renewal/Application fee is every five years

* Various cards, including AMEX Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve, etc. offer the Global Entry Credit

- Above $100 credit may only be used or applied once every five years per card.

- The $100 credit applies immediately when your charge appears (similar to CSR travel credit, AMEX Uber, Sacs 5th credit, etc.)

- If you have more than one card, and you use one for yourself, you may use another card to charge the $100 for anyone else.

The moment it's billed to "Global Entry", the $100 credit applies to the card.

Only one $100 credit, per card, every five years.

It's no different than a monthly $15  Uber Credit on AmEx - the moment the first $15 is charged, it's credited, irrespective of whether it's to the benefit of the cardholder or anyone else.

The only thing that appears on the statement charge is a $100 charge to Global Entry.

It's included in the annual fee benefit - *per card* (CSR is a $450 annual fee; AMEX Platinum is a $550 annual fee).

I value the Global Entry Credit as $20 per year per card ($100/5) average.

One $100 credit per 5-year period per card 

Archived