Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Premier League 2018/19

davidge

Yes, I see he’s posted part 2 of his ‘letter to fans’ now.

An Open Letter to the fans.
Part 2 of 2

And yet I choose to rebel against what an end wants to be. I choose to be grateful for the past but remain ambitious and driven for the future.
For the next 3 years, I will take up the role of Player-Manager of RSC Anderlecht. 
Belgium’s finest.  

This may come as a surprise to you. 
It’s the most passionate yet rational decision I’ve ever made.

As a footballer, I was born and raised at RSC Anderlecht. 
Since the age of 6, I have been one with that club.
A history of 34 league titles, they are second to none.

The background to this story…
Belgian entrepreneur Marc Coucke acquired the club from the Vanden Stock family in December 2017.
What followed was a post take-over set back for a club that seemed robust but proved fragile. 
Although the take-over triggered a positive new vibe, sporting results did not follow.

I stopped at their training grounds on my way to international duty last year. Just to say hello.
Coucke, the chairman, and Sports Director Michael Verschueren asked my opinion regarding the difficult situation the club was in.
I shared my thoughts and listened to their vision for the future: ambitious, courageous and determined to get back to n°1.
I offered my help, no strings attached, should they need it.

Later on in the season, newly appointed Technical Director Frank Arnesen joined and we organized some technical sessions on how to build a strong playing identity based on attractive, attacking football. 
RSCA has a tradition of having fantastic youth. 
You could say they have the past and the future, but struggle with the present.

Not so long ago, I took a call from RSC Anderlecht.
Quite unexpectedly, they offered me the position of Player-Manager. 
Michael and Frank explained to me in detail how they saw it working in practice. 
They had thought it through.
Mr. Coucke, the owner, pledged full support: time, budget, framework, staff, facilities … 
I was left not only impressed, but also intrigued by this sign of confidence in me. 
It got me thinking. 

The end of this season couldn’t be more memorable.
I have lived the dream here.  
I have learned so much the last 3 years.
From an incredible manager.
Pep Guardiola reignited my love for the game.
I’ve witnessed, participated, analyzed, absorbed, studied.
Man City play the football I want to play.
It is the football I want to teach and to see played.

I have decided to take up the challenge at RSC Anderlecht.
Player-Manager. 
I want to share my knowledge with the next purple generations.
With that, I will also put a bit of Manchester in the heart of Belgium.

This is no goodbye. It’s a see you later. 
Et pour les Mauves, voor alle Anderlecht fans: tot binnenkort, à très bientôt.

Love,

Vincent

He was clearly going to try and move into coaching at some point so obviously feels he needs to take this chance now.

Good luck to him. Always seemed like a decent bloke.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve posted this in the Swans thread, but I’ll post here as well:

Brighton have appointed Graham Potter as their new manager on a four-year deal.

Potter, 44, leaves Championship side Swansea and replaces Chris Hughton, who was sacked last week after the Seagulls finished 17th in the Premier League.

Potter joined the Welsh side from Swedish side Ostersunds FK in June 2018 and guided them to a 10th-place finish.

"We believe that Graham is an excellent fit for our club," said Brighton chairman Tony Bloom.

"We are delighted to have secured the services of one of the brightest young English coaches. Graham Potter has an excellent record of developing teams with an attractive playing style, fierce determination and a strong collective spirit. 

"We are excited about our third successive season in the Premier League and we now wish to build on the solid foundations laid by Chris Hughton." 

Brighton have paid Swansea about £3m in compensation for Potter and his staff.

Swansea assistant manager Billy Reid, coach Bjorn Hamberg and head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay will join Potter at the Amex Stadium.

Potter 'sold a vision'

A former full-back in the Football League with Stoke, West Brom and York, Potter took his first managerial job at Ostersund in 2010, leading the club from the fourth tier of Swedish football to the first, winning the 2017 Swedish Cup and reaching the knockout stages of the Europa League.

Hughton, who took over at Brighton in December 2014, led them to the Premier League in 2017 and they finished 15th in their first season back in the top flight.

But the club finished just two points clear of the relegation zone this season, winning only three of their final 23 league games and none of their final nine.

"I was sold by the long-term vision and passion shown by [chief executive] Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and [technical director] Dan Ashworth," said Potter.

"The ideas and plans they have for the future of this football club excited me; I am thrilled and honoured to be a part of it.

"This club has been on an incredible journey and my aim, along with Bjorn, Kyle and Billy, is to ensure the great work that has gone before us is built on, as we strive to cement our place in the Premier League for many years to come.

Potter, who turned 44 on Monday, added: "I have had worse birthday presents, that is for sure. It is a fantastic opportunity, I am very excited and proud and I am aware of the responsibility I have."

Swansea 'rejected initial Brighton approach'

Potter was given permission to talk to Brighton after telling Swansea late on Friday that he wanted to leave.

The continuing financial uncertainty at the Championship club is thought to have been one of the key factors behind his decision.

"We received a request from Brighton last week to speak to Graham over the vacant managerial position at the club," said Swansea chairman Trevor Birch.

"We had absolutely no Desire to lose the services of Graham after the excellent work he had done over the course of his debut season. We therefore declined Brighton's initial request to speak to him.

"We then spoke to Graham in length over the request. These discussions included the offer of a new, improved contract and certain assurances regarding future squad strengthening.

"These assurances would have had to sit within our current financial budget, but we were confident that by working together we could build on the excellent progress the team made last season.

"Unfortunately, following those amicable discussions, Graham expressed a Desire to challenge himself in the Premier League and we reluctantly allowed him to speak to Brighton after agreeing a compensation package."

and this is my take on what it means to Brighton:

he owners and new Chief Exec/Director of Football at Brighton clearly want to change the way they play. That helps explain some of the signings last summer which didn’t fit with the way Hughton sets teams out. Some of the players there just won’t have the ability to change to how Potter wants his teams to play. To oversimplify a bit, it’s changing from 1980’s style British football under  Hughton to Ajax/Barcelona style total football under Potter.

Keeper & central defenders will need to completely change the way they play, as will most of the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

I’ve posted this in the Swans thread, but I’ll post here as well:

Brighton have appointed Graham Potter as their new manager on a four-year deal.

Potter, 44, leaves Championship side Swansea and replaces Chris Hughton, who was sacked last week after the Seagulls finished 17th in the premier league.

Potter joined the Welsh side from Swedish side Ostersunds FK in June 2018 and guided them to a 10th-place finish.

"We believe that Graham is an excellent fit for our club," said Brighton chairman Tony Bloom.

"We are delighted to have secured the services of one of the brightest young English coaches. Graham Potter has an excellent record of developing teams with an attractive playing style, fierce determination and a strong collective spirit. 

"We are excited about our third successive season in the premier league and we now wish to build on the solid foundations laid by Chris Hughton." 

Brighton have paid Swansea about £3m in compensation for Potter and his staff.

Swansea assistant manager Billy Reid, coach Bjorn Hamberg and head of recruitment Kyle Macaulay will join Potter at the Amex Stadium.

Potter 'sold a vision'

A former full-back in the Football League with Stoke, West Brom and York, Potter took his first managerial job at Ostersund in 2010, leading the club from the fourth tier of Swedish football to the first, winning the 2017 Swedish Cup and reaching the knockout stages of the Europa League.

Hughton, who took over at Brighton in December 2014, led them to the premier league in 2017 and they finished 15th in their first season back in the top flight.

But the club finished just two points clear of the relegation zone this season, winning only three of their final 23 league games and none of their final nine.

"I was sold by the long-term vision and passion shown by [chief executive] Tony Bloom, Paul Barber and [technical director] Dan Ashworth," said Potter.

"The ideas and plans they have for the future of this football club excited me; I am thrilled and honoured to be a part of it.

"This club has been on an incredible journey and my aim, along with Bjorn, Kyle and Billy, is to ensure the great work that has gone before us is built on, as we strive to cement our place in the premier league for many years to come.

Potter, who turned 44 on Monday, added: "I have had worse birthday presents, that is for sure. It is a fantastic opportunity, I am very excited and proud and I am aware of the responsibility I have."

Swansea 'rejected initial Brighton approach'

Potter was given permission to talk to Brighton after telling Swansea late on Friday that he wanted to leave.

The continuing financial uncertainty at the Championship club is thought to have been one of the key factors behind his decision.

"We received a request from Brighton last week to speak to Graham over the vacant managerial position at the club," said Swansea chairman Trevor Birch.

"We had absolutely no desire to lose the services of Graham after the excellent work he had done over the course of his debut season. We therefore declined Brighton's initial request to speak to him.

"We then spoke to Graham in length over the request. These discussions included the offer of a new, improved contract and certain assurances regarding future squad strengthening.

"These assurances would have had to sit within our current financial budget, but we were confident that by working together we could build on the excellent progress the team made last season.

"Unfortunately, following those amicable discussions, Graham expressed a desire to challenge himself in the premier league and we reluctantly allowed him to speak to Brighton after agreeing a compensation package."

and this is my take on what it means to Brighton:

he owners and new Chief Exec/Director of Football at Brighton clearly want to change the way they play. That helps explain some of the signings last summer which didn’t fit with the way Hughton sets teams out. Some of the players there just won’t have the ability to change to how Potter wants his teams to play. To oversimplify a bit, it’s changing from 1980’s style British football under  Hughton to Ajax/Barcelona style total football under Potter.

Keeper & central defenders will need to completely change the way they play, as will most of the rest of the team.

Nailed on relegation candidate for next season then. Crystal Palace tried that approach & nearly went down, but for Roy.

Whatever I have seen of BHA they are not suited to play that tiki-taka style.

................................................................................................................

• 2 weeks later...

West Ham have released Andy Carroll, Samir Nasri & Adrian.

3 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

In case someone does not know, tonights Chelsea Arsenal Europa Cup Final is being streamed on youtube for free tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw8wJvn6_sk

Ah fuck ... too late for me , because if I saw your post earlier , I would have watched the match .. Chelsea won by a mile .. deserved I presume . 

5 hours ago, jocky king said:

Ah fuck ... too late for me , because if I saw your post earlier , I would have watched the match .. Chelsea won by a mile .. deserved I presume . 

You will find the Champions League Final on Saturday night on the same link, if it helps.

16 hours ago, davidge said:

West Ham have released Andy Carroll, Samir Nasri & Adrian.

Shame about Andy, they just could not keep him on the pitch. He was always plagued by injury.

image.png

15 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

In case someone does not know, tonights Chelsea Arsenal Europa Cup Final is being streamed on youtube for free tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw8wJvn6_sk

I was lucky as I've got BT Sport so was able to watch it on there channel last night and will be watching the Spurs v Liverpool final on Saturday night on BT Sport BUT its good to know that some games are shown live on YouTube

1 hour ago, blue1878 said:

I was lucky as I've got BT Sport so was able to watch it on there channel last night and will be watching the Spurs v Liverpool final on Saturday night on BT Sport BUT its good to know that some games are shown live on YouTube

Yes, I have BT Sport as well - though with the lack of atmosphere, poor camera positions & Savage as co-commentator the shit I had at half time was more enjoyable than the tepid first half. Perked up a bit second half but quite poor for a final overall.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

Yes, I have BT Sport as well - though with the lack of atmosphere, poor camera positions & Savage as co-commentator the shit I had at half time was more enjoyable than the tepid first half. Perked up a bit second half but quite poor for a final overall.

Last night my mate called round and watched the game with me and we both don't like Savage as co-commentator. On Saturday night me and my mate will watch the game at my house and will have one or two cans during the game.  And when the game has ended we will then go the pub

26 minutes ago, blue1878 said:

Last night my mate called round and watched the game with me and we both don't like Savage as co-commentator. On Saturday night me and my mate will watch the game at my house and will have one or two cans during the game.  And when the game has ended we will then go the pub

I knew Savage when he was in schoolboy football. He wasn’t any more likeable then.

West Ham have agreed to sign Roberto on a free transfer, with the Spanish goalkeeper joining on a two-year deal.

The 33-year-old is available from 1 July, when his contract with La Liga club Espanyol expires.

Roberto, an Atletico Madrid youth graduate, has played for Benfica and Real Zaragoza, and won three Greek Superleague titles with Olympiakos.

"I think everyone who follows football knows the importance of this club, so I'm really excited," Roberto said.

Roberto arrives at the London Stadium following the departure of second-choice keeper Adrian , along with striker Andy Carroll and midfielder Samir Nasri.

So, Sarri has told Chelsea he wants to quit to take over at Juventus.

Player & team?

AB7D34AC-2CD2-4A5A-90EB-143B6B279892.jpeg

23 minutes ago, davidge said:

Player & team?

AB7D34AC-2CD2-4A5A-90EB-143B6B279892.jpeg

Trevor cherry Huddersfield .... :)

7 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Trevor cherry Huddersfield .... :)

Got it in one JK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/48568007?__twitter_impression=true

Justin Edinburgh dead at 49.

Leyton Orient statement:

It is with profound and utmost sadness that Leyton Orient announces its manager Justin Edinburgh has passed away.

Justin suffered a cardiac arrest last Monday and passed away on Saturday.

“We are completely heartbroken by this tragedy”, said Orient chairman Nigel Travis. “All our thoughts and love are with the Edinburgh family and we know from the messages that have flooded into the Club over the last week that the wider football world will share our sentiments.

“The success that Justin brought to Leyton Orient was incredible, but more importantly the impact he had on us all as a winner and a wonderful, inspirational human being will be his legacy and will stay with us forever.”

Edinburgh, 49, joined the O’s as Head Coach in November 2017 and, having secured a mid-table finish in his first season, went on to lead the Club back into the Football League as National League champions in 2018/19.

Having started his playing career at Southend United, where he made 37 appearances and helped the club win promotion from Division Four, he was transferred to Tottenham Hotspur in 1990 and went on to make 215 appearances, scoring once and being part of both FA Cup and League Cup winning sides during a decade at White Hart Lane.

Three years at Portsmouth followed before the Basildon-born full-back returned to Essex to end his playing career as player manager of Billericay Town between 2003 and 2006.

His next stop was Fisher Athletic, who he steered to promotion in his first season, before spells as assistant manager at Grays Athletic and Woking.

In February 2009 he was named manager at Rushden & Diamonds after originally joining the club as assistant but left for Newport County after the Diamonds went into administration.

Justin led Newport to promotion from the Conference Premier via the play-offs and also to the final of the FA Trophy.

After Gillingham agreed terms with Newport for his services, he moved to the Kent club for two years before a brief spell at Northampton Town in 2017.

But it was at Orient, in what turned out to be his final managerial position, that Justin enjoyed his biggest success, winning 45 and drawing 21 of his 82 matches in charge of the club and securing the National League title and a return to Wembley for the FA Trophy Final.

All our thoughts are with Justin’s wife Kerri and their children Charlie and Cydnie at this very sad time.

I am an Orient fan and absolutely devastated. After several hellish seasons Justin got us back into the football league with a hungry entertaining side. So sad. RIP

Sad news, RIP.

image.png

Please note that players signified as a "free transfer" or released by a club on the expiry of their contract on 30 June 2019 could still remain there next season.

So this list should not be seen as definitive for players leaving their club.

Please also note a player's status may have changed since the lists were submitted.

Players denoted with an asterisk (*) have been offered new deals with their existing clubs. 

2018/19 Free Transfers

AFC Bournemouth

Boote, James Peter
Holmes, Jordan Thomas
Pugh, Marc Anthony

Arsenal

Bramall, Cohen
Cech, Petr
Gilmour, Charlie Ian
Lichtsteiner, Stephan
Pleguezuelo, Julio Jose
Ramsey, Aaron James