IGNORED

Cabin Class

Mishko

3 hours ago, ZRHuser said:

Selective reading I guess.....

No. I read it, which is why I only took issue with the phrase " If you fly Business the Gold Card is not of much use.", as possibly it was not exactly what you meant.

Perhaps rephrased; If you fly Business as a matter of course, the Gold Card is of lesser benefit.... or If you fly Business as a matter of course, the Gold Card is not of as much use....

So perhaps selective reading on your part, as we are not in disagreement apart from that particular sentence. It's still useful, just not as useful, as some of the benefits are already obtained when paying for a Business class ticket.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mishko said:

Thanks Drew, in that case they can stuff it. Not going to chase them around the block only to get a Silver after one year. I'll take the best bidder for the flight next year

That might be short-sighted.  As I told you, you dwell too much on the negative instead of looking at what you have gained. Silver brings you decent benefits and you will have attained it relatively quickly, even if not right now. Not too long ago you had none of those benefits, but now you act as if you are completely entitled.

Wind it down a bit. Silver is still good. Gold is just better. You seem lose it way too quickly. Not a good way to be in Thailand, where a cool head often prevails.

2 hours ago, GreyMan said:

That might be short-sighted.  As I told you, you dwell too much on the negative instead of looking at what you have gained. Silver brings you decent benefits and you will have attained it relatively quickly, even if not right now. Not too long ago you had none of those benefits, but now you act as if you are completely entitled.

Wind it down a bit. Silver is still good. Gold is just better. You seem lose it way too quickly. Not a good way to be in Thailand, where a cool head often prevails.

Well I can't really chase them around only to be at Silver after a full year Greyman. Yes it has benefits but I'll look at competitors cause I'm sure they may have something to say too. What I choose in the end will depend on many factors, especially price around those dates, but to clock the miles in a way that leaves you so short off the level is not cool. Bad luck for me cause I can't do anything about unless I want to lose my job.

Regarding your last comments, I feel strongly about that for a number of reasons too long to discuss here. You probably think by now that I turn up at places riding a horse in a steel suit, carrying a giant hammer and a shield but I'm a lot cooler than you think.

But as my uncle who was a man's man and a traveller used to say: Never take any shit from anybody, whether you are here, there or in Zimbabwe. You know? The Thais are not all the sweet gentle people you're inclined to believe, I've been attacked already by two mototaxi riders in different circumstances, and we weren't miles away in some forsaken backstreet alley.

If they knew that's your thinking, do you know where that would place you? They would shaft you left, right and centre. Some of these people here they hate your guts and they smile at you. Don't fool yourself.

I will not be pushed over. I live by that sword. And if I die I die. Whether in UK, Spain, Europe, Thailand or Mongolia

3 hours ago, Mishko said:

Well I can't really chase them around only to be at Silver after a full year Greyman. Yes it has benefits but I'll look at competitors cause I'm sure they may have something to say too. What I choose in the end will depend on many factors, especially price around those dates, but to clock the miles in a way that leaves you so short off the level is not cool. Bad luck for me cause I can't do anything about unless I want to lose my job.

Regarding your last comments, I feel strongly about that for a number of reasons too long to discuss here. You probably think by now that I turn up at places riding a horse in a steel suit, carrying a giant hammer and a shield but I'm a lot cooler than you think.

But as my uncle who was a man's man and a traveller used to say: Never take any shit from anybody, whether you are here, there or in Zimbabwe. You know? The Thais are not all the sweet gentle people you're inclined to believe, I've been attacked already by two mototaxi riders in different circumstances, and we weren't miles away in some forsaken backstreet alley.

If they knew that's your thinking, do you know where that would place you? They would shaft you left, right and centre. Some of these people here they hate your guts and they smile at you. Don't fool yourself.

I will not be pushed over. I live by that sword. And if I die I die. Whether in UK, Spain, Europe, Thailand or Mongolia

I'll address both of your points in turn.

The first is that you have only taken a single flight with Oman, so the period of a full year has absolutely no meaning. If you took an economy flight with them next month, you would move to Silver status.

If you ignore the tier points already obtained and move to another airline, do you imagine a single flight with another airline will put you immediately on to another tier, with the commensurate benefits?

You appear to be the type that bites off your nose to spite your face. If you discard the Oman Tier miles, you will have to begin again from scratch and will likely have even less than Silver in a year's time. How does that make any sense??

No, the person with the cool head will at least check to see which airline will offer you a path more easy and more generous,  before reacting. 

Thus we get to the second point. Know when to make your move to the best effect. 

If you jumped ship and went with Qatar, for instance;

You need 150 QPoints to reach silver. So it would be a whole year later and unless your BC tickets where in the highest class, you still won't reach Silver. 

So don't throw your toys out of the perambulator just because things don't go exactly the way that you want. Keep a cool head and make the best decisions for you, in the long run.

Really.JPG

On 16/08/2017 at 9:16 AM, GreyMan said:

Really.JPG

If I took a flight from London and according to that info, that would leave me at 49.856 miles !  

But I imagine that flight being hundreds of pounds more expensive than from Milan. I have to start evaluating whether it's worth the extra money, and a way to get the extra 144 miles, as there has to be some way.

As I will be at 23.800 Tier miles, there won't be any bonus miles for me.

how about buying something in flight, some airlines dish out miles for on board purchases

2 hours ago, Mishko said:

If I took a flight from London and according to that info, that would leave me at 49.856 miles !  

But I imagine that flight being hundreds of pounds more expensive than from Milan. I have to start evaluating whether it's worth the extra money, and a way to get the extra 144 miles, as there has to be some way.

As I will be at 23.800 Tier miles, there won't be any bonus miles for me.

Perhaps you didn't notice the illustration was for Qatar Airways. To demonstrate that abandoning your miles won't put you in a better position.

Furthermore, the Tier level is decided by QPoints, so only full fare BC would qualify you for Silver.

2 hours ago, striderman said:

how about buying something in flight, some airlines dish out miles for on board purchases

Not for Tier miles.

5 hours ago, GreyMan said:

Perhaps you didn't notice the illustration was for Qatar Airways. To demonstrate that abandoning your miles won't put you in a better position.

Furthermore, the Tier level is decided by QPoints, so only full fare BC would qualify you for Silver.

Flying a return ticket with Oman Air from London Heathrow will give me 25792, which will leave me at 49592 Tier Miles. 

So I am 408 miles short that I hope I can scrape off somewhere, and the same dilemma applies. I have just checked the Mileage calculator, and flying from Manchester or from Paris give me extra miles. 

Manchester has 13106 to Bangkok, so I would be able to get at least 26000 miles if I can get a good price booked as two One way tickets. If I book a return ticket from Manchester would be 26212, and it could be cheaper than flying from London, so I will be watching out.

I would need 26192 Tier Miles to make it to Gold, so it's very close.

5 minutes ago, Mishko said:

Flying a return ticket with Oman Air from London Heathrow will give me 25792, which will leave me at 49592 Tier Miles. 

So I am 408 miles short that I hope I can scrape off somewhere, and the same dilemma applies.

50000 tier Miles is for Gold you would be Silver at that.

1 minute ago, mbamber said:

50000 tier Miles is for Gold you would be Silver at that.

I re-edited the message whilst you replied :)

55 minutes ago, Mishko said:

I re-edited the message whilst you replied :)

Would be nice if you could fit in another trip to get gold just for the 2 upgrade vouchers to Business class.:D

On 29/07/2017 at 11:28 AM, ZRHuser said:

I did not see this seats in the last 6 flights on Oman Air. They replaced them with new seats who are less roomy, but you get more privacy. I like the new one better. 

Agreed. Oman Air used to be my airline of choice, because I work in Muscat, and flights to Bangkok and London are non-stop. However, one of the main reasons I switched to Qatar a couple years ago was that the new Oman Air business class cabin was more cramped and uncomfortable than the one shown in the photos above.

It might sometimes be a good deal on the UK Bangkok route in business class and it is still reasonable in economy but it is not a patch on Qatar or Emerites. Like the other middle East carriers, there is no premium economy class option.

On 29/07/2017 at 11:28 AM, ZRHuser said:

I did not see this seats in the last 6 flights on Oman Air. They replaced them with new seats who are less roomy, but you get more privacy. I like the new one better. 

Archived