Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

The Robin Hood Tavern in The Avenue on 2nd Road

Evil Penevil

On 17/04/2017 at 11:59 PM, KittenKong said:

There's a Sizzler just 100 yards away in the Royal Garden, and another in Central. Can't see that there is a market for a third.

The only place that always did good business in the Avenue was the All Seasons buffet, but that closed many months ago and moved to the Harbor Mall. There's also one in Central.

I suspect that rents in the Avenue are just to high for anyone to make a go of it, though the Oishi Japanese place is hanging on.

I think the guys point may have been that an internationally known chain may have prospered there because it would be a reason to cross 2nd.

Avenue is on the wrong side of the road and its open design is firmly against it, combine those with probably high rents and its no surprise so many units are empty.

Maybe when all the condos being built behind are finished and occupied, although there is a problem currently with some, Avenue will get much more foot traffic passing through but that's still some ways off.

Edited by CuppaTea

On 18/04/2017 at 0:14 AM, longwayfromhome said:

Never stopped a 7-Eleven or Family Mart or McDonald's from opening up just a few doors down. Successful franchises have the overhead to do this type of thing. 

7/11s and suchlike open everywhere here because Thais wont walk 5 yards if they can possibly avoid it, and these shops sell a lot of items that many Thais buy every day.

But Sizzler and McDonalds only have a very limited demand, as do all brands of restaurant.

• 1 year later...

Three specials from the Robin Hood:

special.jpg.78ffcd7437fd5deda029040da033c62c.jpg

The Sunday carvery special includes the soup and dessert of the day plus an all-you-can-eat buffet.  The five imported meats are roast lamb; roast beef (rare and well-done); roast pork with crackling; and roast ham.  The normal price is 395 baht.  

The lamb shank is Saturday's special.

38921073_1860601210686428_1464137643783618560_n.jpg.68dd9b0f607642cb99899ec3fb595173.jpg

Source: Robin Hood Tavern Facebook page.

Evil 

• Like 2

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

On 4/18/2017 at 15:14, longwayfromhome said:

Main problem with Avenue is the design. I went for year's not knowing there was a supermarket there. Tear that whole complex down and build something that works. 

I love the absence of any logic in its design....knew right away theres a villa market inside because of the sign...depends where you approach from....if you cross from soi 13 or walk from TIMS bar, you'll see it. Cinema is great and uncrowded.

VILLA is great...has all the stuff I miss while travelling.

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

What a shambles this place is nowadays !

rt.jpg.814ae52e696cf2659366aa6f12c41151.jpg

Doesn't look good. That location is cursed.

Just now, hggcraig said:

It was my favourite place to eat when I was there in May. I was staying at the Baraquda so it was convenient 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Just now, Robbie Jones said:

It was my favourite place to eat when I was there in May. I was staying at the Baraquda so it was convenient 

Ive only been there once but the food was nice. Hopefully it will survive.

Just now, hggcraig said:

Retox guys sold out...suspect the costs aren't covered by the irregular footfall

Pity as I enjoyed the old Sunday Buffett...good staff too

The Robin Hood owner has recently expanded a few months ago by buying the Sports Lounge up Pratumnak Hill, and there appears to now be quite a home delivery business as well.  I somehow doubt he would have expanded if he was short of cash and the RH doing badly.

It appears that the regular menu is being served, and there is delivery up to midnight, so my guess is that there's just some kind of problem with the kitchen staff that'll be solved soon.  In a comment management write "gone from being over staffed on purpose to now well under staffed, hence suspended service"  There's a message on their FB saying they want to recruit good reliable kitchen and waitress staff asap.  Business seems to be carrying on as usual, they're serving fish'n'chips tomorrow and have just added Budweiser to the bar.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Robbie Jones said:

2 hours ago, hggcraig said:

Ive only been there once but the food was nice. Hopefully it will survive.

Once the food was decent here, but this last month or so, its taken a major nose dive, which seemed to come to a head when they managed to send out a delivery which included a very mouldy scotch egg, that was then discussed across social media.

I have sworn I will never go back after last week, when they could not get the simplest or orders correct, and what did come was just awful.

Competent staff seems to be a problem, which I believe the above facebook post refers to.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Posted on the BC FP today ....

By now some of you are aware that one of the owners of Robin Hood fled the country yesterday afternoon with debts running into the millions .

Leaving suppliers and staff unpaid .

I dread to think what we don’t know about .

Good friends of mine have lost money . Lots .

It’s a mess .

But at the moment in the short term I know that emergency measures are being put in Place in order to keep the business going on the short term .

However I am told it’s business as usual the place has not stopped trading so if your by the avenue pop in for a beer they may well need all the help they can get short term .

Good luck to those working on what will be a monumental and financially draining rescue package .

Along with Cheap Charlies, The Hood is also under new management.

59720174_10157595448008606_4309990494600953856_o.jpg.ec9e563ebb25380966eb7689904b5108.jpg

Robin Hood hasn't quite convinced me ever since the buyout from the Retox group.  I'd never buy a business in Pattaya from Retox or Nightwish - those guys are the best in Pattaya at making the most possible from their businesses.  They'll run their businesses well and squeeze everything they can from them (in a good way) and if they don't seem to be able to make it work, then it's unlikely anyone else will be able to do so.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, SirL said:

Robin Hood hasn't quite convinced me ever since the buyout from the Retox group. 

From what I am reading, it was a part finance arrangement, which means Retox Group are still owed quite a sum from this deal.

35 minutes ago, Taa_Saparot said:

From what I am reading, it was a part finance arrangement, which means Retox Group are still owed quite a sum from this deal.

Oh OK.  There seem to be various different versions of recent events floating around the internet.  Outsiders like us don't and won't ever really know the full truth, and it's probably not worth the effort to try to find it out.  If Retox are owed money from the previous buyout, I imagine that they'll have the right to repossess so maybe that's what'll happen.  We all know that dodgy stuff like this is common in Pattaya.

2 hours ago, SirL said:

Robin Hood hasn't quite convinced me ever since the buyout from the Retox group.  I'd never buy a business in Pattaya from Retox or Nightwish - those guys are the best in Pattaya at making the most possible from their businesses. 

I don't think that's correct for Retox, just look at the menu and see what's wrong with it

8 hours ago, SirL said:

Oh OK.  There seem to be various different versions of recent events floating around the internet.  Outsiders like us don't and won't ever really know the full truth, and it's probably not worth the effort to try to find it out.  If Retox are owed money from the previous buyout, I imagine that they'll have the right to repossess so maybe that's what'll happen.  We all know that dodgy stuff like this is common in Pattaya.

That Retox is still owed money from the RHT deal, came from Simon Peatfield himself, on FB last night.

Also said, that him along with the new owner (!!) would keep RHT open at present, if only to try and cover the wages the staff are still owed.

But he was still not sure the full extent of the damage done.

Edited by Taa_Saparot

Forget all the financial stuff.....The real problem is Robbin Hood has been living under the Avenue curse sense day #1....And the curse is getting hungry for another victim..

But seriously the location of Robbin Hood makes it very very easy to forget about,out of sight out of mind....Just look how well the food court is doing there....I have seen more lively graveyards...  

Edited by fforest

The new food court there is shit, that’s the main problem.  Hardly any variety between the different providers and it’s desperately boring.

Robin Hood is in a good location, apart from the upstairs thing and those shonky stairs. There are lifts and escalator on the other side of course. 

Edited by nzwolfgang
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fforest said:

Forget all the financial stuff.....The real problem is Robbin Hood has been living under the Avenue curse sense day #1....And the curse is getting hungry for another victim..

But seriously the location of Robbin Hood makes it very very easy to forget about,out of sight out of mind....Just look how well the food court is doing there....I have seen more lively graveyards...  

The Roof was dead as hell last week, on facebook it looks like the place to be. 

10 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

I don't think that's correct for Retox, just look at the menu and see what's wrong with it

You may well be right, but please tell me, what is "wrong with it"?

(Remember that to be

13 hours ago, SirL said:

the best in Pattaya at making the most possible from their businesses

isn't a particularly great achievement.  The bar is set pretty low.  Most entrepreneurs around Pattaya seem useless copycats, better at telling us they know best than actually running an efficient innovative business.  I mean, just to own almost any business in Pattaya demonstrates they have little ability to judge a good opportunity, because the local market is so oversupplied)

You may well be right, but please tell me, what is "wrong with it"?

Retox appears to have a pricing model of a 99 baht breakfast (it varies per bar it seems), then the prices fly up, Thai food 165+ baht, farang food much more.

There's a reason places like Chunky Monkey are popular as it doesn't just give one cheap option but many plus medium priced dishes. Pitini also has a good choice, plus others around.

2 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

Retox appears to have a pricing model of a 99 baht breakfast (it varies per bar it seems), then the prices fly up, Thai food 165+ baht, farang food much more.

There's a reason places like Chunky Monkey are popular as it doesn't just give one cheap option but many plus medium priced dishes. Pitini also has a good choice, plus others around.

AIUI Retox isn't intended to be, or managed as, a restaurant comparable to Chunky Monkey.  AIUI they try to be a pub/sports bar, thinking the money is in selling high-margin drinks, whilst the low-margin food offer is just there to bring drinking customers in.  The food offer isn't trying to be all things to all men.  The food is trying to be whatever appeals to guys whilst drinking, hopefully just keeping them in the bar a bit longer to order another round or two of drinks.  It's a simple menu for drinkers, not a proper restaurant menu, and the prices "fly up" for items usually bought in the evening rather than items usually bought at breakfast time.

AIUI the bahtbuster breakfast is only somewhere near break even - it's more about using otherwise unused capacity (the kitchen and dining areas in the morning) to promote and make the Retoxes a familiar place known to drinkers, so that they'll return in the evening when the real money is to be made.  The bahtbuster breakfast gets Retox a lot of publicity and establishes them in the eyes of their target guys as the obvious lively place with low prices to go and have a few (high-margin) beers while watching the football on tonight.  Evening pricing is different from morning pricing.

Edited by SirL

Can we please keep this thread on the topic of the Robin Hood.

As has been said its already messy enough what has happened without this thread turning into a discussion about Retox.

There is already a lot of speculation going on - lets not fuel the flames with yet more Chinese Whispers (you can get all those in many facebook groups). I am sure at least some hard facts will emerge in the next few days.

Thanks

• Like 2

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!