IGNORED

Has Anyone Stayed at The Base Central Pattaya?

tokyojoe2010

I agree and as I'on the other side the noise does not bother me at all and the walk from 2nd road gets annoying but it's a different world once you get into the grounds.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently sitting in a 35 m2 apartment in The Base, facing south with the PATTAYA sign view on a high floor.  I'm here for about the next two months, paying at the rate of B600/night, ie B18,000/month.

What the wifi is like in the room is specific to that room, ie what your owner has set up. There is no building-wide wifi, so no conclusions relevant to all apartments on wifi can be made.  My apartment has very fast AIS fibre internet, and my laptop is ethernet-plugged into the AIS wifi modem so I'm having no problems at all on internet connection speed or signal dropping.

Same for furniture, it depends upon what's in your specific apartment.

Different apartments have different size balconies.  My balcony is about 6m x 1.2m, which is IMO fine.  I'd like more furniture out on the balcony.

I'm surprised at the multiple comments that the shower fittings are flimsy.  Obviously all the apartment showers are the same, but the shower fittings seem fine to me.

I don't use the TV here as a TV at all.  The best way to get whatever English language TV channels you want is via your laptop using eg FilmOn HDi player or FreeTelly, plugged into the TV using the TV as a laptop monitor.  For instance, I've just fired up UK BBC1 projected onto the TV screen, just by opening an application on my laptop.  Darwinmonger, I can show you exactly what I mean in my apartment if you get in touch with me privately via this site's messaging.

Whether you prefer VT6 or The Base obviously depends on the price you're paying.  I'm paying a lot less than VT6 prices.

If anyone has any questions about The Base, ask away on this thread and I'll try to help.

What agency did you use to book and what was the original asking price?

What agency did you use to book and what was the original asking price?

I don't want to give personal details here.  I listed some Base apartments for rent at B18,000/month further up this thread, read the whole thread.

You have to bargain the price, don't necessarily accept the first price quoted.  There are a lot of Base apartments available for rent - it's a buyers market, so bargain hard.

Hopefully those who have booked at the Base will address this issue. Poor wifi is a deal breaker for me.

In my condo the wifi can be accessed from the foyer downstairs but this is a freeby and intermittent sometimes very good and sometimes non existent. You will have to make your own arrangements regarding wifi. 

A quick question to other Base residents.

My condo has the two hot plates in the kitchen currently permanently switched off.  I've asked the owner about this and he says it's to do with the law preventing short term rentals.  My total stay in The Base is actually in two separate periods, the first of less than a month and the second of more than a month, and the owner says he can and will turn on the hot plates for the second more than a month rental.

I'm not all that concerned about the kitchen hot plates, but I did bring some cooking stuff and might have used them.  What's the situation in your condo about the kitchen hot plates working?

A quick question to other Base residents.

My condo has the two hot plates in the kitchen currently permanently switched off.  I've asked the owner about this and he says it's to do with the law preventing short term rentals.  My total stay in The Base is actually in two separate periods, the first of less than a month and the second of more than a month, and the owner says he can and will turn on the hot plates for the second more than a month rental.

I'm not all that concerned about the kitchen hot plates, but I did bring some cooking stuff and might have used them.  What's the situation in your condo about the kitchen hot plates working?

what is the arrangement regarding the payment of the electricity used in the condo ?

is it included in one and not in the other?

what is the arrangement regarding the payment of the electricity used in the condo ?

is it included in one and not in the other?

I imagine electricity is subject to whatever agreement you have with the owner, they'll all be different.  I'd rather not reveal too many details about my situation that might unpick my anonymity.  I'm just interested in whether any other Base renters have this odd the hot plates are disabled, apparently for legal reasons re stays of less than a month, situation.  

I'm guessing that the legal situation is that in Phuket now aren't the police cracking down on condos being rented short term to tourists, and part of the definition of a condo is that it has cooking facilities(??), and the short term issue is stays of less than a month(??), so turning off the hotplates for stays of less than a month makes it OK re Phuket-style police cracking down(??)  This is all just my guess, other ideas welcome.

there are no legal reasons for this is thailand, where they cannot even enforce helmets on motorcy riders in pattaya.

how could hot plate use be enforced?

the renter wants to keep the thing clean or is worried about electricity consumption, something along those lines

It doesn't feel like a keeping the place clean or reducing electricity consumption situation.  I'm no expert on laws or how they are enforced in Thailand, but the "legal reasons" I'm guessing are the same sort of legal reasons about aren't the police cracking down on renting condos to tourists in Phuket now?  I expect to be able to confirm on this thread in a few weeks time that the hot plates are then working for me and I'm eating omelettes for breakfast.  The aircon here, which I'm not using, would consume far more electricity than the odd omelette.

a chateau striderman omelette

aug 23 001 (Custom).JPG

2 eggs, dash of water, dash of milk, some TLC and a hot pan with olive oil

a chateau striderman omelette

attachicon.gifaug 23 001 (Custom).JPG

Looks delicious, Striderman. I'm still looking for this elusive and mysterious CS restaurant serving these exquisite omelettes. It reminds me of Shangri-La and Atlantis - the stuff of legends, but lost to the mortal world.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

I rented a condo for one month from Airbnb.  When I arrived, the kitchen hot plates did not work because the electrical plug was not plugged in and the breaker switch was off.  After correcting these two problems, the hot plate worked, but I also had to ask for a pot, pan, and spatula to cook.  A prior guest did heavy cooking and left a mess, so this was a way to minimize clean up expenses and electricity cost for the host.

My hotplates were turned off at the wall only, quick flick of the switch and away I went, all the cooking utensils were supplied. It might just be an owner thing!

Sadly it is an owner thing, as my hot plates are very deliberately disabled, a little locked box surrounds what I guess is the master switch underneath within the oven space.  I won't be eating homecooked breakfast omelettes for now, but I hope to be able to post a striderman-style omelette masterpiece in a couple of weeks time.

Are there any booking agencies at or near the property where you can just walk in (like in VT6)?

If so, has anyone contact details?

Just signed an agreement to stay at the Base until May. My condo is similar to others, small 30sq meters, but I'm not here raising a family and taking care of dogs either.

I made my deal with an agent of the owner, scored 15k baht/month with free WiFi, have to pay electric +water. I even have a washing machine on my balcony.

I think value wide it's a great option. New and modern, amenities, and location is great. Also Villa supermarket a short walk away, and a new 24/7 gym was just built right next door to Villa as well.

My owner left the kitchen fully stocked with utensils and small stuff that you wind up needing, like cleaning supplies.

All in all, I'm very happy with my decision.

What/where is this Villa supermarket please?  Edit: Just found it myself in the Avenue mall(?)  Is it any good, I'll go around and look.

The Base has it's own (free for residents) in-house gym room.  Though not as well equipped as the best Gyms of course.  Good enough for me.

BaseGym1.jpg

Personally I think having an apartment where there is a far-reaching view in any direction from the windows has substantial privacy advantages over an apartment where there's another apartment 30m away straight ahead, in terms of having curtains closed, wearing clothes in the apartment, having girls around etc etc

What/where is this Villa supermarket please?  Edit: Just found it myself in the Avenue mall(?)  Is it any good, I'll go around and look.

The Base has it's own (free for residents) in-house gym room.  Though not as well equipped as the best gyms of course.  Good enough for me.

attachicon.gifBaseGym1.jpg

The Villa supermarket is in the Avenue shopping center (7 min walk) on the ground floor towards the back next to Fitness7 gym, but the Tops supermarket in Central Festival is a little farther away and better.

The Base gym shown in your photo is open from 07:00-22:00 and is very small because it serves 1,112 units.  The Gyms at Areca and August Suites are physically larger.  The quality and condition of the Matrix equipment is good, but there is no spray bottle/towel to wipe down the equipment after use and nobody brings a towel.  There is a cleaning lady, but she only wipes fingerprints from the glass.  There were 2 AC units in the gym, but in November 2016, the juristic office disabled one AC to save energy causing the gym to get warm when crowded.  The gym is used by many recreational vacationers who bring their cell phones to chat and leave it on the equipment, and mothers who bring in their 2yr old to ride side saddle on the bikes.  There are several users who bring a personal trainer and they tend to monopolize the bench and dumbbells for the hour they are there.

I've received a few private messages asking for information about The Base.  

Where the questions are of a general nature, I'd prefer them to be asked here, on this thread, so that everyone can benefit(??) from whatever answer I manage.

Where the questions are specific to the apartment I've booked and am now in, or my personal arrangements, I'd prefer not to answer them at all, because I'd like to keep my anonymity.  

I don't particularly want to increase demand for this one apartment, because I'd like this particular one to have time available for me to book it again, but I'm happy to increase demand for all apartments in The Base, since there are 1,100 of them and whatever I write won't change the supply/demand for them all much.  I recommend all the booking agents for Base apartments that can be found via google.  Googling and bargaining price are the things to do to get a good apartment at a good price.  There are many apartments here looking for short term tenants, you can find their agent's details easily enough yourself.

Daily and weekly are not allowed anymore. Is a notice in the buiding seems like teh hotels have been complaining. Big fines now

Daily and weekly are not allowed anymore. Is a notice in the buiding seems like teh hotels have been complaining. Big fines now

Yeah, but there are lots of other things that are not allowed in Thailand that just carry on.  Take a look at AirBnB and tell me that daily and weekly rentals in The Base are not taking place.

Archived