IGNORED

Has Anyone Stayed at The Base Central Pattaya?

tokyojoe2010

A couple reviews I read said the wi-fi is not very good or non-existent in some rooms here, can any of you guys confirm this?  The place looks pretty nice, but wi-fi is a must for me.  Thanks---

No WiFi in my room. It's case by case depending on whether owner has set up wifi and cable.

Wifi provided in public lounges though

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple reviews I read said the wi-fi is not very good or non-existent in some rooms here, can any of you guys confirm this? The place looks pretty nice, but wi-fi is a must for me. Thanks---

Cant comment on the Base, but VT6 had horrible wifi, always dropping out.

Will be interested in reviews on the base, I like the separate bedroom thing without the added cost of VT6 one bedders.

Cant comment on the Base, but VT6 had horrible wifi, always dropping out.

Will be interested in reviews on the base, I like the separate bedroom thing without the added cost of VT6 one bedders.

I used to stay at vt6. This is much better for a cheaper price imo. Can't compare the quality of the two. Vt6 feels like a run down hospital.

Vt6 is only better if you want to be on beach road and vt6 has good balconies.

I think vt6 has to drop their rate to 800-1,000/n to compete with the base or centric sea, which are both way nicer

cutter,

Are you in the 29 m2 unit with the balcony only in front of the kitchen, or the 34 m2 unit with the balcony full width including in front of the bedroom? [click 1a and 1b on Units Layout halfway down http://www.sansiri.com/condominium/thebase-central-pattaya/en/#tab-id-22 ]   It looks to me that the units with the smaller balcony also have a shorter length kitchen, which might (??) be a factor in the kitchen counter size.

Why is the one-bed preferable to a studio?  Personally I think I'd prefer no partition walls and a bigger feeling of space (which is fairly limited in these small apartments!)

I understand that wifi is "normally" only in the downstairs lobby at The Base, unless the owner of the unit you're thinking of renting has installed private wifi for only his apartment upstairs.  If important, you need to check the situation on wifi on the specific apartment with the agent/owner.

I think the direction of the view from the apartment and it's height are important.  Some views are far-reaching outwards, others are just inwards towards the other building.  Some people might prefer the shady north-facing apartments over the sunnier south-facing ones.

VT6 of course has the threat of building disruption/noise (covered in other threads here) and the cheaper north-facing apartments there have a wonderful close-up view of the side and car park of Central Festival building.

I hope the Base is as good as the pictures, I booked a 2 bedroom condo there for December/January (29 days).  I didn't book through Airbnb though, too few choices and some of the prices were insane.  For the Base I've seen $50-$70 per night for those small one bedroom condos (31 sq. meter), way too much.  I booked by two bedroom condo at the Base for about $35 a night (it's about 51 sq. meters).  

The majority of Centric Sea's condo for rent are for the small 30 sq. meter condos, with those stupid sliding glass dividers.  As for VT6, overpriced small studio condos with a view and construction going on next door.

"For the Base I've seen $50-$70 per night for those small one bedroom condos (31 sq. meter), way too much"

Yes, I agree USD60/night or so is a very high price for the smaller apartments, and it's believable that some owners are being optimistic in asking that.  I think the best prices available for the small apartments are about B600/night if booked for a month or more, or B900/night if booked for a week or more.  In post #18 on this thread I've linked to some B600/night (on a monthly basis) apartments.  Search around and I think you will find.

The things to look for in specific small Base apartments include:

which floor, most people will prefer higher

direction of view, whether it is just towards the other block, and sunny/shady

which building you are in, only one has the roof pool (though no doubt apmts in the other have access)

balcony full-width or half-width

private in-room wifi

television (wallmounted?)

some apartments have decoration in IMO very bad taste

cleaning

electricity/water/wifi charges

most apartments have the uncomfortable-looking standard sofas, a few have better-looking ones

What else is there to look out for, cutter?

"For the Base I've seen $50-$70 per night for those small one bedroom condos (31 sq. meter), way too much"
Yes, I agree USD60/night or so is a very high price for the smaller apartments, and it's believable that some owners are being optimistic in asking that.  I think the best prices available for the small apartments are about B600/night if booked for a month or more, or B900/night if booked for a week or more.  In post #18 on this thread I've linked to some B600/night (on a monthly basis) apartments.  Search around and I think you will find.

The things to look for in specific small Base apartments include:
which floor, most people will prefer higher
direction of view, whether it is just towards the other block, and sunny/shady
which building you are in, only one has the roof pool (though no doubt apmts in the other have access)
balcony full-width or half-width
private in-room wifi
television (wallmounted?)
some apartments have decoration in IMO very bad taste
cleaning
electricity/water/wifi charges
most apartments have the uncomfortable-looking standard sofas, a few have better-looking ones

What else is there to look out for, cutter?

I 100% agree with you, $50-$70 a night for a 30 sq.m. condo is very ambitious.  There are 1,112 units there, a lot of them are the smaller 30 sq.m. ones, I think a lot of the units are going to sit around for a while.  You can't "live" in a 30 sq.m. unit, it's a short term rental at best.  

Thanks for the heads-up about the pool, I thought they both had one.  As for the decor, tv's and wifi, good things to point out.  Also, it doesn't seem like many of these units have an in-room safe.  Kind of silly to me when you consider that most of these units are rentals and safes cost about $100.  

Also, if you are using Airbnb, make sure to look at the reviews before you book.  I've seen a lot reviews with an automated review: "host cancelled XX days before check-in.  Personally, I would never book with a host that had that in their reviews, especially if the host didn't have an explanation for it.  

"a lot of them are the smaller 30 sq.m. ones, I think a lot of the units are going to sit around for a while.  You can't "live" in a 30 sq.m. unit, it's a short term rental at best"

All of this agreed.  I assume most of the apmts have been bought by Bangkok people for occasional holidays themselves with plenty of renting in between.  I think that most owners are currently trying to get medium-term (ie many months) rentals, which may be unrealistic for the small apmts, which are really just holiday lets.  Perhaps by next year most of the apmts will be easily available for just several days/a few weeks at a time.

"Thanks for the heads-up about the pool, I thought they both had one"

No, I'm sure only the south building, called Building A, has the roof pool.  The north building has a lounge next to a roof garden on the top floor.  If you're interested there are loads of pics around showing details.  The pic below is the roof garden on the top floor of the north building, without pool, with the lounge in the distance.  The south building is a few floors taller.

"it doesn't seem like many of these units have an in-room safe.  Kind of silly to me when you consider that most of these units are rentals and safes cost about $100"

Agreed, only a few have safes.  I wish more did!  Maybe in time some clever owners will install them - it's a cheap way to differentiate from other apmts on something that many renters will value.

BaseRoofGarden1.jpg

I'm not sure if other one bedrooms have full balconies. If they did, then the balcony would be great size.

There is also wifi in rooftop lounges.

For up to a month, you won't be disappointed in the base, as long as your satisfied with what is offered regarding wifi, cable and cleaning for your unit.

If longer, the one bedroom may feel too small.

cutter, 

Thanks for your thoughts.  If open wifi in rooftop lounges that's good news!  Were the rooftop lounges and roof pool area very full of other people during the day?

AIUI there are two sizes/layouts of smallish one bedroom apartments, as shown as 1a and 1b within Units Layout tab halfway down  http://www.sansiri.com/condominium/thebase-central-pattaya/en/#plan-layout-data-box.  The 1a layout appears to be 29 m2, and the 1b layout appears to be 34 m2 with a larger kitchen and full width balcony.   I've attached the 1b floor plan below.  The larger kitchen appears to be about 50cm longer (ie one square tile on the plans)  I'm not sure of exact numbers but it seems to me that roughly a third of all the one bed apmts are the larger full width format.

For any floor and angle of view, you can almost work out which layout an apartment is from looking at the floorplan for that whole floor within the Floor Plan tab also halfway down that link.  The 34 m2 apmts are a darker brown than the 29 m2 ones, and tend to be the outwards facing ones on the upper floors.  You can also tell, if the owner/agent puts up a picture like the one at the bottom of this post captioned "View from bedroom", because there couldn't be a balcony rail in the foreground of the bedroom view from the half-width balcony apmts.  Or you could just ask the owner/agent if the balcony is full width, which is the easy giveaway of which format of small apmt any one is.

Corrections welcome, you're the guy there now with accurate info!

BaseBedroomView.jpg

BaseAptFloorPlan.jpg

Rooftop lounges open until 10pm.

There weren't any people, but most the units aren't occupied yet. If it gets busy, the pool would fill up fast as there aren't many seats at the pool. But the view is awesome!

"The Base" will be the new VT6. incredible place

For what it's worth, I can see The Base from my balcony and there are never many lights on at night. By that I mean the number of units that look like they are occupied.

On a typical night, I see 6 to 8 units lit up on the south side.

i had heard the units were sold out but a large number of these have appeared around pattaya recently

june 25 003 (Custom).JPG

i had heard the units were sold out...

I guess anything is possible, but I would be very surprised if that was even remotely true.

I guess anything is possible, but I would be very surprised if that was even remotely true.

Ha, I agree with you, there are 1,112 unit at the Base, it would be pretty impressive if they sold them all.  

For what it's worth, I can see The Base from my balcony and there are never many lights on at night. By that I mean the number of units that look like they are occupied.

On a typical night, I see 6 to 8 units lit up on the south side.

somebody say south side ?

nov 27 135_800x541.jpg

there was a time i thought lk renaissance in soi diana, the beige building was big

dec 31 002_800x600.jpg

march 1 005 (Custom).JPG

march 31 032 (Custom).JPG

from beach rd/tipp plaza

may 6 008 (Custom).JPG

may 10 010 (Custom).JPG

Other than Big Mango Properties (all seem to be on low floors) and airbnb, anyone know any places that rent by the week?

Great photos again, striderman.  On your third photo on #43 (ie side view with no cranes) I think you can see that the 34 m2 format small apmts are the white ones and stick out about a metre, which is what gives them the larger balcony.

There are loads of empty apartments here looking for occupants.  If you want an apartment for a short period, this seems to me to be a classic situation for being proactive and contacting agents/owners and making an offer of what you are prepared to pay for your short period.  From their point of view it might well come down to accepting your offer or being empty.  The problem with this is that you may well get a fairly bare apartment, ie no private wifi or kitchen hardware, and they'd probably only accept a short rental for a stay in the very near future, in order to keep fishing for medium-term tenants.  You can make whatever offer you like to the agent, and he'll pass it on to the owner who can't do worse than just say no.  I wouldn't be limited to those apmts which appear to be currently available short term - there's no harm done chucking in a short term offer in the near future to any owner who's got an otherwise empty apmt.

"Rooftop lounges open until 10pm."

Are the rooftop lounges actually locked closed overnight, or is it just that you're not supposed to go up there so you could quietly sneak in at midnight?

"never many lights on at night"

Remember that at night many occupants will be out around town doing nightlife with the lights of their apmt turned off.  I bet early-mid evening is the time when there are least human beings actually physically in The Base.

What exactly are these green things (on the ground floor?)  Are they just insecure mailboxes so of not much use for storage?  Or some sort of safe box?

GreenThings.jpg

STRIDERMAN, YOUR PHOTOS ARE GREAT!!!

OK, I'll tone it down a bit now, but I just wanted to express my appreciation.  :GoldenSmile1:

It's impressive how you can pull up photos from identical locations over the period of many months.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

STRIDERMAN, YOUR PHOTOS ARE GREAT!!!

OK, I'll tone it down a bit now, but I just wanted to express my appreciation.  :GoldenSmile1:

It's impressive how you can pull up photos from identical locations over the period of many months.

thanks. mostly done by checking other threads (sometimes on another board) i know there is a sequence of my pics, noting the dates on the pics ( hover over one) then going to the my passport ext drive . easy as long as i'm sober !

• 2 weeks later...

Great photos again, striderman.  On your third photo on #43 (ie side view with no cranes) I think you can see that the 34 m2 format small apmts are the white ones and stick out about a metre, which is what gives them the larger balcony.

There are loads of empty apartments here looking for occupants.  If you want an apartment for a short period, this seems to me to be a classic situation for being proactive and contacting agents/owners and making an offer of what you are prepared to pay for your short period.  From their point of view it might well come down to accepting your offer or being empty.  The problem with this is that you may well get a fairly bare apartment, ie no private wifi or kitchen hardware, and they'd probably only accept a short rental for a stay in the very near future, in order to keep fishing for medium-term tenants.  You can make whatever offer you like to the agent, and he'll pass it on to the owner who can't do worse than just say no.  I wouldn't be limited to those apmts which appear to be currently available short term - there's no harm done chucking in a short term offer in the near future to any owner who's got an otherwise empty apmt.

"Rooftop lounges open until 10pm."

Are the rooftop lounges actually locked closed overnight, or is it just that you're not supposed to go up there so you could quietly sneak in at midnight?

"never many lights on at night"

Remember that at night many occupants will be out around town doing nightlife with the lights of their apmt turned off.  I bet early-mid evening is the time when there are least human beings actually physically in The Base.

What exactly are these green things (on the ground floor?)  Are they just insecure mailboxes so of not much use for storage?  Or some sort of safe box?

hi   re the yellow boxes .. they are the  mail boxes  ...each have a  lock and key...  and  there is a pool in building  B as well.....when i bought april  all the condos  were sold out ,  i bought a resale and  lived in it for a week before returning to uk ..i was the only one on my floor  17 building A ....free electric and water  as  no meter fitted then ..happy days ..

"when i bought april  all the condos  were sold out"

Yes it may well be that all the condos have been sold out by the developers, but IMO a lot of them (almost all?) have been sold to owners who intend to rent them out.  Would the kind of owner who wants that level of finish want to live permanently in such a small apartment?  There seems to be a glut of these condos on the rental mkt, making the rental prices attractive (ie low).  Maybe visitors haven't yet really heard of this development.  I could imagine returning regularly as a renter, and the development needs to attract occupants.

"there is a pool in building  B as well"

The pool in building B is down on about the third floor, there are loads of pictures of it.  It's not up at rooftop level like the one in building A.

the very highest standards of safety procedures were used during construction...............

feb 11 028 (Custom).JPG

feb 2015

feb 11 029 (Custom).JPG

Archived