IGNORED

Has Anyone Stayed at The Base Central Pattaya?

tokyojoe2010

I've just been to the Villa supermarket in the Avenue mall just along Second Rd from The Base, and I wasn't impressed.  Poor choices, expensive, targeted too much at farangs, out of stock of the sort of bread I wanted at 4.30pm.

If it were the only supermarket anywhere near I'm sure I'd get along perfectly well with it, but I prefer a combination of the basement of Central Festival and Big C on Pattaya Klang, depending on what else I'm doing just before shopping.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just been to the Villa supermarket in the Avenue mall just along Second Rd from The Base, and I wasn't impressed.  Poor choices, expensive, targeted too much at farangs, out of stock of the sort of bread I wanted at 4.30pm.

If it were the only supermarket anywhere near I'm sure I'd get along perfectly well with it, but I prefer a combination of the basement of Central Festival and Big C on Pattaya Klang, depending on what else I'm doing just before shopping.

Villa is not the best, but it is the closest supermarket to The Base and it stocks my Tiger Light beer, while 7/11, Family Mart and Tops do not.  Tops supermarket in Central Festival is better and has a take-out hot food deli bar which I use just for the reusable plastic containers w/covers for the frig.  Big C on Pattaya Klang is best, but it can be difficult to bring back all the stuff on a motorbike taxi.  The fruit stands across 2nd Rd by Mike’s Mall have good variety but crossing the 2nd Rd traffic is challenging because of the motorbikes driving in the opposite the flow of traffic when crossing 2nd Rd.

Daily and weekly are not allowed anymore. Is a notice in the buiding seems like teh hotels have been complaining. Big fines now

Yeah, but there are lots of other things that are not allowed in Thailand that just carry on.  Take a look at AirBnB and tell me that daily and weekly rentals in The Base are not taking place.

There are still many daily/weekly rentals on Airbnb since many are just carrying on but in 2016, Phuket condo owners were warned by the Phuket Provincial Land Office about holiday rentals < 30 days.  The next question is whether they will enforce their warning.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/298067-renting-your-condo-short-term-is-illegal/?hl=%2Bphuket+%2Bdaily+%2Brental

The day of reckoning may be coming like Thailand’s building height restriction laws which were often overlooked.  The day of reckoning arrived for The Wharf condo project in Pattaya, and now they must remove 8 floors to comply with the law to complete the project.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/307390-the-waterfront-can-go-on-but-must-removing-8-floors/

In my condo the wifi can be accessed from the foyer downstairs but this is a freeby and intermittent sometimes very good and sometimes non existent. You will have to make your own arrangements regarding wifi. 

The Base provides free wi-fi in the common areas on the ground floor and by the two pools.  In-room fiber wi-fi is also available from AIS with different upload/download speeds packages:  PowerHome Package (15/5, 20/7, 50/10, or 100/10 Mbps) and Power PRO Package (30/10, 50/20, 100/40, or 1000/200 Mbps).  The condo owner or the renter must sign a 12 month contract and my owner paid for the 15/5 package which was adequate for web surfing.

• 4 months later...

What is considered a southward facing apartment? I am looking at pictures and I see views from all different angles.  For example, I see the bedroom window facing another building, but the balcony you can see the sea. Is it considered a "city view"? 

I consider a south facing Base apartment to have this bedroom view (Notice the full width balcony rail.  Its the rail in front of the bedroom window that confirms that the apartment has the full width balcony).  Experts will spot that this pic was taken early in the morning - by late afternoon the sun would be directly ahead of the camera so the buildings would look ugly and dark.

10 PattayaDay.jpg

In the above pic the camera is actually pointing about WSW, so nearer West than South, as you can see from the rail that the camera is pointing over to the right hand side.  

The view towards approximately south looks like:

BaseRoofPool8.jpg

in which you can just about make out the Pattaya sign far right, and those white towers on the left are Jomtien.

Looked at from the entry gate, The Base development looks like

01 BaseEntry2.jpg

South is to the right of this picture, and IMO the best apartments are high on the right hand side of the right hand tower.  The apartments either on the left hand side of the right tower, or the right hand side of the left tower, are what I call "internal-facing", because pretty much the only view you have is of the other block, and since those condos are all looking at you, you might want to keep away from the windows and keep the curtains closed.  Meanwhile I've shagged a girl (at night, with the lights off) on the balcony shown in the top pic, with all Pattaya spread out below us.

Hi Sirl, I'm staying north facing but  considering moving to a south facing for the view. But I'm concerned about the noise from soi Diana. How noisy is it?

Also, how hot do the rooms get with the sun shining on the south side all afternoon.

4 hours ago, cutter said:

Hi Sirl, I'm staying north facing but  considering moving to a south facing for the view. But I'm concerned about the noise from soi Diana. How noisy is it?

Also, how hot do the rooms get with the sun shining on the south side all afternoon.

Noise: see #21 on http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/310164-vt6-vs-the-base/   Of course the level of noise depends upon the height of your condo above street level.  Can you describe the level of noise on the soi Honey side for those interested in staying over there?  AIUI you're in The Base right now, so you can assess the soi Diana beer bar noise by going up to the top floor pool area at 7 or 8pm - of course the condos, being lower than the pool, will have slightly more noise than the pool area.

I didn't find the sun heating up the room was a problem.  I usually had the windows wide open, no a/c and a fan going, but that's my personal preference, and that worked well for me. (Note: I knew I was not going to be paying for electricity, so to choose fan was not a money-saving move).  I sometimes had the bedroom curtains closed to give darkness if I wanted to sleep in the afternoon.  I think I preferred the south side sunshine to the north side shadow all day except the early morning, but really my preference for the south side was for that view.

This pic is the classic setup for a pic of a TG to put on her FB.  It's the platform at the very top of The Base, above the rooftop pool.  The girl needs to stand on the left in front of that wide white mid-height condo tower.  I've taken exactly this pic quite a few times, with different girls trying to look sexy, funny or glamorous on the left.  Usually I've taken it using the girl's own phone so that they can put it straight on their FB, and they love it.  One problem is that, well this version of the pic is again taken in the early morning so the sun's angle is helpful, but I've usually taken it at about 4pm or 5pm for girls, by which time the sun has moved to straight ahead so the girl is silhouetted, all the buildings look shadowed and the whole thing doesn't look this good.

I've shown exactly this picture, with no-one standing there, to girls in their gogos, suggesting that if you go with me I'll take pics of you here and you'll want that for your FB, and that was a very persuasive line with smokin' hot gogo girls.

07 BasePlatform1.jpg

Just rotating to the right in the same camera position, this is the sea view from the top platform, which I think looks a bit boring.  It lacks a focal point (unless taken with sexy girl being the focal point).  The best focal point up here is really the Pattaya sign itself - that sign is what makes particularly Thais feel sexy and glamorous, and that's why rooms with a view of the Pattaya sign are IMO the best ones to try to rent.

08 BasePlatform2.jpg

In terms of having a great sea view from the balcony, I would say that The Base rates 3rd after Markland (1st) and Centric Sea (2nd).  Markland being on Beach rd and Soi 1 you get a full view of Pattaya bay which is just awesome.  Centric Sea has better view than The Base as it is a much taller building (pool on 44th floor) and also you get a more sweeping view of Pattaya bay as the condo is further up north.  I would image view from Northshore would be great as well but I have not visited personally.

14 minutes ago, xtremedude said:

In terms of having a great sea view from the balcony, I would say that The Base rates 3rd after Markland (1st) and Centric Sea (2nd).  Markland being on Beach rd and Soi 1 you get a full view of Pattaya bay which is just awesome.  Centric Sea has better view than The Base as it is a much taller building (pool on 44th floor) and also you get a more sweeping view of Pattaya bay as the condo is further up north.  I would image view from Northshore would be great as well but I have not visited personally.

Maybe that's true but they are further north so not in the middle of the action like The Base is.  I like being able to walk almost everywhere from The Base.  I have read the Centric Sea rooms are frustratingly laid out, something about an annoying partition separating different sections?  They're probably pretty similar though.

On 12/27/2016 at 9:26 PM, SirL said:

Go to Central plaza downstairs or the supermarket at the back of macdonalds 2nd road.

26 minutes ago, stew said:

Go to Central plaza downstairs or the supermarket at the back of macdonalds 2nd road.

Please forgive my ignorance, but in the part of my post that you have quoted, I show I know both the supermarket in the basement of Central Festival, and also the Villa Market in the Avenue mall.  Aren't the two you suggest exactly those two, or how are your suggestions different?

I never read the whole string. They are the nearest I know.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Well if you're quoting someone writing that they are not impressed by a specific supermarket because of poor choices, expensive, out of stock etc, isn't to reply suggesting that same supermarket kinda strange?

On 5/21/2017 at 0:36 AM, SirL said:

Well if you're quoting someone writing that they are not impressed by a specific supermarket because of poor choices, expensive, out of stock etc, isn't to reply suggesting that same supermarket kinda strange?

A wee bit strange coming to Pattaya and complaining about bread!

Mate, when you're in a hole stop digging.

2 minutes ago, SirL said:

Mate, when you're in a hole stop digging.

Did you complain the bread was not to your liking? I'm not in any hole.

Archived