Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Need Visa Advice Due to Change in Thai Policy

Sexyfarangman

My request today for a 60 day visa was rejected by the Thai Consulate because I didn't provide a bank statement and a copy of my airline ticket. This is the first time I've ever had this problem. The guy at the Thai Consulate told me that they started implementing the policy this week.

I know I can still enter for 30 days without a visa. My question is whether the extension I can get once in Thailand will be good for 7 or 30 days. I know that it's 30 days if entering on a 60 day visa. However, I don't know if it's still a 30 day extension if just entering for 30 days with my American passport. I seem to recall that there has been some confusion on the issue. If I can get a 30 day extension in Thailand, then I won't need the aggravation of getting a 60 day visa here in the US.

Any authoritative information on this subject is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always been a requirement.

Are they enforcing it everywhere now?

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Are you sure you didn't apply for a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa (METV) and not a Single Entry Tourist Visa (SETV)?

The METV requires extra evidence the SETV hasn't done so far.

They can still refuse if they want - it's up to them in the end - but would be a significant change otherwise.

No, it was a single entry. As I mentioned, the guy told me that the policy went into effect this week.

Sorry. Edited my post.

Ticket & finances have always been 'officially' required.

I wonder if they're insisting everywhere now?

I've never done it, but you can extend the 30-day exemption for a further 30 days. Same requirements as for visa - flight & proof of funds. I think passport copy and photo? Fill in the form and pay 1900 baht. Friends not had a problem.

Again, up to Officer. They 'could' refuse...

I've never done it, but you can extend the 30-day exemption for a further 30 days. Same requirements as for visa - flight & proof of funds. I think passport copy and photo? Fill in the form and pay 1900 baht. Friends not had a problem.

Is there a link to a government website explaining this policy?

Any authoritative information on this subject is greatly appreciated.

Doesn't authoritative information come, by definition, from an authority; in this case Thai Immigration?

This is my understanding as well, but I've only done it once several years ago.

Doesn't authoritative information come, by definition, from an authority; in this case Thai Immigration?

Yes, but I wanted to see the policy on a Thai immigration website. At any rate, it appears that a new policy went into effect in August 2014 that now allows a 30 day extension if you enter on a 30 day visa waiver. The new policy replaces the 7 day extension of prior law.

Sorry. Government websites tend to be unclear at best!

This is a link to the form:

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm7.pdf

I'm sure there's a BM who's done it recently. Hopefully, they'll post!

Edit: one thing is you 'may' have a problem at check-in if your return flight is over 30-days and you don't have a visa. Depends on the airline and the mood of the member of staff. I've only had an issue once in all the years I've been going to Thailand.

Some people book a cancellable flight out within 30 days, or a cheap throwaway flight to make sure.

Below is the application form from my Thai Consulate. No mention of requirements for SETV. Many for METV.

b93cb0f95f2f594fe2d3d3b27fb047d3.jpg

Below is the application form from my Thai Consulate. No mention of requirements for SETV. Many for METV.

b93cb0f95f2f594fe2d3d3b27fb047d3.jpg

That is the same form I use for 60 day tourist.

If they don't state it as a requirement then how can they insist on seeing it?

He is in the US maybe his consulate has gone rogue.

On a 30 day can I hope over to Cambodia for a couple of days.

Me no daft, me no silly, me wear condom on my Willy.

Yes, but I wanted to see the policy on a Thai immigration website. At any rate, it appears that a new policy went into effect in August 2014 that now allows a 30 day extension if you enter on a 30 day visa waiver. The new policy replaces the 7 day extension of prior law.

Are you sure this is correct as this would mean it is not worth getting a SETV

Are you sure this is correct as this would mean it is not worth getting a SETV

Apparently it is correct, the Thaivisa forum lot confirmed it also. But SETV is 60+30, visa exempt 30+30. Plus maximum of 3 visa exempts.

If you get a SETV you can get a 30-day extension and stay for 90 days.

If you get a SETV you can get a 30-day extension and stay for 90 days.

Correct

Apparently it is correct, the Thaivisa forum lot confirmed it also. But SETV is 60+30, visa exempt 30+30. Plus maximum of 3 visa exempts.

What is total cost of 30+30 

Correct

Free + 1900 baht.

Correct

Visa exempt is free, 30 day extension 1900 baht

If you get a SETV, then you can get 30 days on top of the 60. The SETV is good for anyone who wants more than 60 days. http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2014/08/new-regulations-for-visa-extension-in-thailand/

Yes I know that, I was just thinking out loud (well typing out loud)

:LOL2:

There was one post by a BM a few months ago saying a woman in Jomtien Immigration said she'd only give him a 7-day extension but if he paid 3000 he'd get 30 days.

He paid 3000 - but the receipt said 1900.

TiT

The requirements are on the official Thai Consulate website for New York.

Archived