hetepatat

How to extend validity of sim card with AIS , DTAC and True

Eichenbaum

Damn I just tried up to top up my Dtac sim and the number isn't being recognised. I was able to top up again after a few months last time but I guess they've changed things. Oh well, it's not a big deal to just get a new one when I arrive.

BkkApt

Thank you for this thread.

Buddy Edgewood

One option is to ask a friend living in Thailand to top it up for you every month for you at a kiosk, all they need is your number and whatever baht you give them in advance.

However, I was turned on to an even better way this last trip...  A fellow BM recommended AIS and taught me the 'trick' to extending the life of the SIM.  What I did was sign up in their Central Festival store (3rd floor, I believe) for whatever promo they currently had for 250 baht, and got the new pre-paid tourist SIM put in my phone, which was valid until 31 January.  Once I had the SIM, the trick to extending the validity beyond the 30 day tourist SIM is to go the AIS kiosk (in the same store) and top up with 20 baht (or whatever amount you want, 20 baht is the minimum).  I received a text msg saying that I topped up and my SIM was valid another month (28 February).  Topped up again with 20 baht and once again, I receive a text saying my SIM was good for yet another month (31 March).   I kept topping up 20 baht at a time, several times, and now the tourist SIM is valid until 31 December 2020.

I'm not sure if you can do that trick with other providers.

Melboy66
One option is to ask a friend living in Thailand to top it up for you every month for you at a kiosk, all they need is your number and whatever baht you give them in advance.
However, I was turned on to an even better way this last trip...  A fellow BM recommended AIS and taught me the 'trick' to extending the life of the SIM.  What I did was sign up in their Central Festival store (3rd floor, I believe) for whatever promo they currently had for 250 baht, and got the new pre-paid tourist SIM put in my phone, which was valid until 31 January.  Once I had the SIM, the trick to extending the validity beyond the 30 day tourist SIM is to go the AIS kiosk (in the same store) and top up with 20 baht (or whatever amount you want, 20 baht is the minimum).  I received a text msg saying that I topped up and my SIM was valid another month (28 February).  Topped up again with 20 baht and once again, I receive a text saying my SIM was good for yet another month (31 March).   I kept topping up 20 baht at a time, several times, and now the tourist SIM is valid until 31 December 2020.

I’ve been doing this since 2012. I’ve had the same ph number since then. You can also go to Family Mart and buy 50 baht top up card. I buy a couple of top up cards, do 1 straight away and the do the other the next day. Rinse repeat until you get 12 months in advance. This is the maximum that you can be paid up for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BkkApt
On 23/01/2020 at 09:19, Buddy Edgewood said:

Sorry but what's new in your post ? This is what has been said and explained since years. And you don't need to go to AIS,, just refill 10 thb at the orange machines in front of 711.

It has also been clearly explained for others carriers.

Bruno123
3 hours ago, BkkApt said:

Sorry but what's new in your post ? This is what has been said and explained since years. And you don't need to go to AIS,, just refill 10 thb at the orange machines in front of 711.

It has also been clearly explained for others carriers.

Seems neither perused the thread before posting. 

As you stated, 10 + 2 baht machines in front of 7-11/Family Mart is the cheapest way to max out a new SIM validity.

Though getting all those coins can be inconvenient. :)

hioctane

Seems neither perused the thread before posting. 
As you stated, 10 + 2 baht machines in front of 7-11/Family Mart is the cheapest way to max out a new SIM validity.
Though getting all those coins can be inconvenient.

The cheapest/free way as mentioned many times is to deposit the minimum every time since each deposit extends it by another month. However, I would not deposit more than I actually need because of the recurring plans that will drain your account dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiFlyer

I live here and use AIS. AIS will allow you to top off your load giving you another month each time you do so up until one year out.

GorGuy

RULES change, I used to have a 1 year SIM. Now they tell me they do not do them.

What I do...

DTAC prepaid, go into the DTAC booth and give them 100 baht for 5 times 20 baht top up's. That will last you 5 months.

Each time you put another 20 baht in, you get another month on top.

You do not need to take in your phone, just tell them the phone number that you want to charge up, and all good. Anyone can do this for you.

On from this, if you have a Thai bank account you can top up 20 baht via your bank phone app and it gives you another month.