IGNORED

How to extend validity of sim card with AIS , DTAC and True

Thought this would be a good thing to remember... 
Some guys asking about this regularly in other topics..

Now.. What about validity (in time) :   Very important for tourists who want to keep the same number and sim.

Validity = time / days / months.      Balance : the money on your card.

A SIM card needs 2 things to work, validity and balance.   Usually each time you top up, you will also get additional validity days.  The current rules state that you get 30 days of validity after each topup of any amount.
So for validity, it can be interesting to recharge your card with f.e. 10 baht. (AIS for certain - I don't know about other brands).
Every top up of 10 baht + 3 baht service charge in the machine will increase validity with 30 days and i think you can go up to a year. 
Later, when needing extra validity, you can use some solutions from home (i like mobile topup .com) and recharge for 50 baht , get one month too.

You would think that is not possible.. It IS possible when you use the machines outside 7/11.or Family Mart or just near other shops. photo : see orange box.. if i am not mistaken, this is the kind you need, outside 7/11 in this case.   711 recharge.JPG

Check your Validity

To check your date of expiry you can use these USSD codes:

• AIS –  *121#
  • DTAC – *101*9#
  • True – #123#
Extend your SIM’s validity

To extend your validity:

• AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#  Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package
  • DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.
    • Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
    • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.
  • TrueMove H   :      “Quick Add” Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month
    • Press : * 934 * 30 # for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 90 # for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : * 934 * 180 # for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht

Edited by hetepatat

Sometimes the worst decisions bring us to the best places

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

my DTAC is 12 months everytime i top it up?

you need to do the official reg with your passport etc

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Nice tip there. Hopefully that'll get more people to extend their SIM instead of buying a new one every trip.

I remember those machines outside 7/11 and Family Mart used to give 3 months for each topup. But yeah, it seems down to 1 month for each topup now.

I forgot to mention i was speaking for AIS but edited that in the text.

I have been using DTAC in 2013, True in 2015 and AIS in 2016.

It seems now, if i compare them, that AIS is the least nice in look and feel and in keeping things ok.
I stopped my internet package online. The text said the package would stop 5 days later. But it was stopped immediately and this way i lost money.
I called the call center and they said they could do nothing about it.   
AIS is also the least easy in keeping your sim valid longer.   This for , i think i will transfer the number i have to DTAC or TRUE.
I would never recommend AIS to tourists.    This is just my opinion. I am sure that many tourists have been happy with it.
Their network was ok on 3G / 4G in Pattaya.  Can't say anything bad about that. The speed was always ok and I always got the internet working.
No dead connections or none to speak of. 
Can not go on 2G with this card, but i think the more modern guys wouldn't mind about that.

Validity on AIS : if you top up 10 baht or 100 baht...  always +30 days. So it is maybe wiser to top up in smaller amounts and many times.

Can be different for other packages (i have the new 3G-4G sim package).

Dtac : i don't know about now. I read up to 12 monhts but also about 30 days. maybe it depends on the amount you recharge. 
Tourist sim does not have long validity. That is why it is a tourist sim all together.
Tourist sim is the product you usually get when you go to a shop and you have no specific other desires.

Registering : You always have to register a new SIM now if you want one.
I asked in many 7/11 and Family Market about if they can sell a new SIM. Most shops still have posters on the wall about it but no Sim Cards any more.

Registering is not an extra any more. It is a must !

Edited by hetepatat

See my trip reports    First time out there  Second trip report   Third trip report 2016

I just topped up my True Move card to check this.

I did the top up via my K-bank account (online) ... The minimum top up they will accept is 50 bt and that extends your time 30 days

I checked because I've been building a balance as I don't use my sim all that much anymore ... But I still want the card. Pain in the ass. Love to hear how to solve this... Some other True plan?

Ps ... I AM registered properly, so that is not it.

Thought this would be a good thing to remember... 

Some guys asking about this regularly in other topics..

Now.. What about validity (in time) :   Very important for tourists who want to keep the same number and sim.

Validity = time / days / months.      Balance : the money on your card.

A SIM card needs 2 things to work, validity and balance.   Usually each time you top up, you will also get additional validity days.  The current rules state that you get 30 days of validity after each topup of any amount.

So for validity, it can be interesting to recharge your card with f.e. 10 baht. (AIS for certain - I don't know about other brands).

Every top up of 10 baht + 3 baht service charge in the machine will increase validity with 30 days and i think you can go up to a year. 

Later, when needing extra validity, you can use some solutions from home (i like mobile topup .com) and recharge for 50 baht , get one month too.

You would think that is not possible.. It IS possible when you use the machines outside 7/11.or Family Mart or just near other shops. photo : see orange box.. if i am not mistaken, this is the kind you need, outside 7/11 in this case.   attachicon.gif711 recharge.JPG

Check your Validity

To check your date of expiry you can use these USSD codes:

• AIS –  *121#
  • DTAC – *101*9#
  • True – #123#
Extend your SIM’s validity

To extend your validity:

• AIS
    • Add 10 Baht credit for 30 Days Validity
    • Alternative method: Dial *500*9#  Add 30 days validity for 30 THB via Mao Mao package
  • DTAC  –  Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month.
    • Press : *113*30*9# for 30 days extension.  Cost 2 Baht
    • Press : *113*60*9# for 60 days extension.  Cost 4 Baht
    • Press : *113*90*9# for 90 days extension.  Cost 6 Baht
    • Press : *113*180*9# for 180 days extension.   Cost 12 Baht
    • Conditions: Must activate SIM for at least 90 days or have usage of 200 THB.
  • TrueMove H   :      “Quick Add” Extend your validity for up to 365 days at a cost of 2 Baht per month

sorry if this sounds a dumb question;

if for example I top up on AIS, B10  every day for 12 consecutive days (or just B10 12 times consecutively in the same day), will my sim card validity still exist should I return anytime within the next 12 months?

,, if life is a ball can someone please lend me a pump quick ,,,

I did it with one minute interval. It worked. Every recharge is one month extra ... 
Even if one at 12.00 am, next at 12.01 am .. 
You pay 10 baht + 3 baht (x2) service charge and get 30 days + 30 days.

If you return in 12 months your load (money) will be valid, your card too if you increased validity for 12 months.

To check validity , see above for the code..  *121#

Be sure roaming is active if you want to check for it outside Thailand.

Edited by hetepatat
  • Like 1

I just topped up my True Move card to check this.

I did the top up via my K-bank account (online) ... The minimum top up they will accept is 50 bt and that extends your time 30 days

I checked because I've been building a balance as I don't use my sim all that much anymore ... But I still want the card. Pain in the ass. Love to hear how to solve this... Some other True plan?

Ps ... I AM registered properly, so that is not it.

These numbers above .. with star and dash.. Just type them like a phone number you want to call .. then after the # press the CALL button / green button ... It will be ok.

Use #123# afterwards to check if all ok.

Edited by hetepatat

These numbers above .. with star and dash.. Just type them like a phone number you want to call .. then after the # press the CALL button / green button ... It will be ok.

Use #123# afterwards to check if all ok.

Pleased if this is now working. In short it wasnt end of March it simply didnt register and TV members had same problem. Ideal if it now works properly

Wonder if it will work via Roaming if I slip Sim in phone

Edited by Harvey707

There is an AIS office downstairs in Central Festival next to Mcdonalds at the beach road entrance and they have a machine. They also have someone there to help you. You can load 10 baht at a time for 30 days but minimm note is 20 Baht, no change, so 2 months minimum extension.

• 1 month later...

Yes. Ussd codes work while roaming.

No doesnt work anyway just tried it......I think its because its a Truemove Tourist Sim that was originally free at airport. Tourist Sim issue has come up on Thaivisa before

Out of interest Brits with "Revolut" Cards can top up their Thai Number via the Line App without incurring overseas usage fee.

No doesnt work anyway just tried it......I think its because its a Truemove Tourist Sim that was originally free at airport. Tourist Sim issue has come up on Thaivisa before

Makes me think it's already too late for this sim.

Past validity date..

These sims have a short validity. Also depends if you did top ups or not.

Cause USSD codes do work while roaming IF you get network (roaming activated) and card is still valid.

Edited by hetepatat

AIS is 20b top up for 1mth...not 10b! The most months you can accumulate until expiry is 12mths...no more.

Just go to any AIS store & use their ATM's to top up, they have assistants working (usually at the entrance) who speak English if you need to ask any questions. 

• 3 weeks later...

For AIS the maximum validity is one year so if you already have that much time it does not extend each time.  An option for AIS customers needing more validity is that customers can move validity time from their number to another number.  As such if you have a friend here who typically does not have validity issues they can transfer to your phone number for a small fee.  You call *140 and you have the option to transfer either money or validity.

Common sense is not very common.

AIS is 20b top up for 1mth...not 10b! The most months you can accumulate until expiry is 12mths...no more.

Just go to any AIS store & use their ATM's to top up, they have assistants working (usually at the entrance) who speak English if you need to ask any questions. 

I did it on a machine, like explained ... 10 bath;  .. got 1 month validity. Had to pay 2 or 3 bath service charge... depends on the machine.

10 is a low amount and it can not be done in any other way, i think.

There are different colors of machines. Orange .. and purple , i think.

I wonder why some guys always need to think they know EVERYTHING better.

If you are in your home country, go to  Mobiletopup.com ... then you can recharge your card too, but not for 10 bath.

Hawkeye : indeed. Maximum is 1 year. I would advice to wait it out a bit and then do some topups with the website mentioned above.

But can ask a friend to do topup too..  Or swap from one to an other like you said. 

Edited by hetepatat

I did it on a machine, like explained ... 10 bath;  .. got 1 month validity. Had to pay 2 or 3 bath service charge... depends on the machine.

10 is a low amount and it can not be done in any other way, i think.

There are different colors of machines. Orange .. and purple , i think.

I wonder why some guys always need to think they know EVERYTHING better.

If you are in your home country, go to  Mobiletopup.com ... then you can recharge your card too, but not for 10 bath.

Hawkeye : indeed. Maximum is 1 year. I would advice to wait it out a bit and then do some topups with the website mentioned above.

But can ask a friend to do topup too..  Or swap from one to an other like you said. 

My Truemove wont advance more than 90 days whatever you do. I was told at Truemove office that it was because its a tourist Sim

Every operator has different rools.  Every simcard can have different rools.

Exactly....

I have an AIS tourist sim (10 day plan I think, topped up at least once) from last trip in November 2015. I think it was due to expire in February.

Can I reactivate this by top-up when I arrive (to use the same phone number) or must I forfeit the number and just get a new sim when I arrive next month?

Thanks

I have an AIS tourist sim (10 day plan I think, topped up at least once) from last trip in November 2015. I think it was due to expire in February.

Can I reactivate this by top-up when I arrive (to use the same phone number) or must I forfeit the number and just get a new sim when I arrive next month?

Thanks

Pretty sure you'll need new Sim......Credit validity is normally shown and will expire on a date but the Sim may stay active for 1-2 months after. I had one sim where credit was gone but Sim active 6 weeks after validity ended another time another provider it was dead 4 weeks after

Yeah Gandax, I also think you will just need a new sim. 
If you want to keep the same number, don't take a tourist formula.
There are enough add ons for internet etc.

Please all be informed that AIS does not have any 2G any more and you will need to connect on 3G or 4G.
Maybe you can consider DTAC or TRUE MOVE ? I had all 3 already and think AIS was the less nicer one of the 3.
That is not too bad if you have the right handset for it and if you don't mind the higher battery drainage on 3G / 4G.
Even if you just connect and not use it, your battery will run flat about 2-3 times faster.

Validity date : there are always 2 dates in a sim control. The end date on which your money will dissapear but the card can still be recharged again.

Second one is the date where the sim can not be used any more, not for anything. It can not be recharged, used for incoming calls, nothing.
Between these dates , most providers send messages to warn you something is coming up and also before the first date.

And then the day where the card is taken out of the system , the number becomes available again.

Edited by hetepatat

I'll mention again as worth it but you can use your "Line" app from anywhere to top up AIS Dtac and Truemove will a few simple clicks.