IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

On 07/11/2018 at 10:22, semi-retired member said:

Sitting chewing the fat about cheap-eats with some other long-term expats yesterday, and it occured to me that there was perhaps a need for a similar slightly-overlapping thread to this one, "Under 150-Baht-and-Acceptable".

A contender for "under 150B and good" would be Tequila Sunrise on the corner of Chaiyapreuk and Jomtien Beach Road. It also easily qualifies for "under 300B and good". The regular menu has many dishes for around 90B-150B, including a rather good liver, bacon, chips and peas for 90B. They also do various daily/weekly specials.
Sundays they do Sunday roasts for between 80B (small chicken) and 120B (large pork). I think it is a lot better than the Marquee offering, and for me it's local which is also an advantage.

For some reason this picture doesnt show the Yorkshire pudding you also get.

70-b-roast-available.jpg

It's the best value place I know of and is very busy on Sundays. Many good reviews on TripAdvisor etc.

Edited by KittenKong

On 06/11/2018 at 21:56, CuppaTea said:

Meat balls & spaghetti about 150 and GOOD + CuppaTea only 25 baht and a real big cup.

Chunky Monkey has hit the ground running.

Nearby competition Jollys, been crap for a while, Cafe Pitini is the real one and trust me man that's suffering now.

CM Sunday Specials include Roast Chicken (breast) + Mash + Roast potatoes + broccoli + carrots + peas + onion gravy 119 baht AND its a big plate full  !

Probably going to reduce the portions + increase the prices soon so get there now !!!

As far as I'm concerned its the best deal for price + portion sizes + taste for Western food in Pattaya now !!

Big call but I'm making it.

Went there last night after reading a few comments. The prices are very reasonable and quantity wise you could not complain .. but .. Roast pork dinner was more like 2 small pork chops ,very “white”  and not tender . Roast pork that is as thick as a chop needs a bit of chewing . The roast potatoes, all uniformed shape, were undercooked , some moreso than others , hard and gritty.. I hate that. The carrots were not “ al dente” as is the norm now , they were almost raw. Peas were great, cant stand broccoli, my problem , and the mash and gravy were good, but not much gravy, or not enough to add some taste to it. I wouldn’t complain as at 129baht it would more than adequately feed you but it lacked all the taste of a sunday roast. Will try some other dishes as the menu is interesting and the servers are lovely.

1 hour ago, Terryofcrete said:

Roast pork dinner was more like 2 small pork chops ,very “white”  and not tender . Roast pork that is as thick as a chop needs a bit of chewing .

A lot of places here use pork loin for roasting. You can see an example in the Tequila Sunrise picture I posted earlier. I suppose that they do it because it is quick to cook, cheap to buy and easy to carve and portion. As you say, it does need to be sliced thin but with a bit of gravy it's OK even if the lack of fat does make it a bit bland.
Nowhere near as good as nice bit of shoulder though, and no crackling. :sad: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Penevil said:

It's a grill menu with a U.K. rather than U.S. touch, as you won't find Cumberland sausage at many BBQ places in Memphis or Kansas City.
I wasn't in the mood for spare ribs the night I ate at the Hideaway and had the grilled chicken breast for 175 baht instead.  It came with a choice of French fries or rice and I took rice.

Strange that the chicken breast should be the same price as the Cumberland sausages. Chicken breast is about the cheapest meat you can buy in Thailand (around 60B/kg, with skin) but decent sausages can easily cost 3 or 4 times that per kg.

3 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

1615337950_IMG_01341.jpg.4400d6ef08a5ae88a3625ec4f52b8a49.jpg

The Hideaway Guest House and Bar on Soi 15 between The Avenue and Soi Buakhao has recently added a Rib Shack.

IMG_0133.jpg.b2509a5b756e6b868209afe1cff602c4.jpg

A sign at the front of the Hideaway says the hours are 6 p.m. to midnight, but a post by the owner elsewhere on this board  says the dinner menu is available from 5 p.m. to midnight.  The Hideaway also serves breakfast and has snacks like onion rings and chicken nuggets available at other hours.

IMG_0124.jpg.70de32ebae6568dd63d735a6abb2bc82.jpg

As the name indicates,  grilled spare ribs are the focal point of  its menu, which features a limited number of dishes.  That's an admirable approach I wish more Pattaya restaurants would follow.  It's far better to concentrate on a  few dishes consistently done well than a long list of mediocre offerings.  

It's a grill menu with a U.K. rather than U.S. touch, as you won't find Cumberland sausage at many BBQ places in Memphis or Kansas City.

IMG_0121.jpg.2ddb10993373b71d59e7b3ff021b0889.jpg

I wasn't in the mood for spare ribs the night I ate at the Hideaway and had the grilled chicken breast for 175 baht instead.  It came with a choice of French fries or rice and I took rice.

IMG_0127.jpg.736aaed8043de2ede0c83af020d3169e.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg.d6e896620b5b068d4bba51f9ed30aad3.jpg

The chicken breast was moist, tender and had a good charcoal taste.  It wasn't overwhelmed by the BBQ sauce.  The small portion of salad consisted of fresh and crispy ingredients.  I'm not a fan of raw onion on salad, so I pushed it aside. The condiment basket included a bottle of Heinz salad cream and I used it with an extra splash of malt vinegar rather than the thousand island dressing on the plate.

IMG_0129.jpg.2b83c8650a203d0b5e017d0e55eed8fc.jpg

The Hideaway is a clean and comfortable place to have a meal, a snack or a drink.  Customers can play pool for free and there's a big-screen TV for sports. 

IMG_0131.jpg.ff487a0a4409ec2a8ef604ef12752aa7.jpg

The service is very friendly.  I had never been to the Hideaway before and the owner greeted me warmly,  then came back and asked if everything was OK once my meal arrived. Two of the waitressed also asked me the same question. That sort of interaction with the customer is sadly lacking in many Pattaya restaurants.

Bottom line:  I'll be back to try the ribs and the Thai daily special.  

Evil

Many thanks for taking the time to review. So pleased that you enjoyed the experience.

I just like to point out that we don't open for full breakfast yet, maybe in the future. We do have great coffee (2 for 1 till 2pm) and we do have toast and jam. Paninis, fries and onion rings  are available all day..

Look forward to seeing you again. I am there most nights, but tend to have an evening off on Tuesdays to play in the Tuesday Night Pool tournament at Megabreak.

I always have a good meal at The Golden Ferret in New Plaza. Had the lamb roast last night for 250baht and tbh it was one of the best meals I've had in Pattaya. Worth a visit.

As we just saw a review of the grilled chicken at the Hideaway which still looks boring to me. Yeah, as said, seems more of a British approach to such meals than American which frankly have more mojo with that style of food.

I would suggest people looking for a wonderful grilled chicken platter in the Soi Buakhow area to try the thigh meat (fillets) "BBQ" platter at Simon's Israeli restaurant at the market area. Reviewed here before by others. It's very flavorful with Middle East seasoning and sides. Usually they include some random small Israeli side salads as well and you can order a small dish of hummus to go with the platter for 20 baht. I think you can get it with breast meat as well but the thigh meat of course is juicier. 

Here's a picture of the thigh BBQ chicken platter. The couscous shown is not a usual side choice. Usually it would be choice of chips, mashed potatoes, or rice.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293919-d12817929-r556502086-Simon_s_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#photos;geo=293919&detail=12817929&ff=289779787&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=289779787&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autoplay=

Edited by Kreggerz

On 10/11/2018 at 19:25, jpmelville said:

Never have eaten thai food in Kiss. Only some farang food after drinking at Rompho Complen in Jomtien as it's only place open 4-5am. It fills up your stomach but nothing more.

Those prices are pretty hefty for below average thaifood(my TGF said they are crap). 120bht for chicken with cashews is a joke. Worth 60bht max. Still I can see a lot of tourists there who don't know better. In Jomtien there is a food market near Kiss with good and reasonably priced food, still some people will eat at Kiss. Their loss...

Ok so where can I get a chicken cashew for 60thb? That was be good to know

• Like 1

On 11/11/2018 at 11:58, Taa_Saparot said:

Nothing to do with the Retox Group. 

Chunky Monkey is the latest venture from the original owner of Robins Nest(aurant) and Jollies.

Sorry I got it wrong you are correct spin off from Robins Nest

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LDU said:

Maybe 15 years ago.

Cashew nuts are expensive in Thailand this is why chicken cashew is  more expensive than similar Thai dish’s.

If you do find a cheap one can guarantee there will not be many cashew nuts in the dish.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2016 at 21:19, strawberrypi said:

Wow, I've hurriedly walked past that Harry's restaurant

I went there for 'dinner' yesterday about 4 pm the food was really lovely, tasty and not at all expensive. It was appetising and well presented and the service was very good.

14 hours ago, dave46 said:

Chunky Monkey

The Chunky Monkey is really good - was there night before last - very decently priced, appetising food

21 hours ago, Hideaway said:

I just like to point out that we don't open for full breakfast yet, maybe in the future. We do have great coffee (2 for 1 till 2pm) and we do have toast and jam. Paninis, fries and onion rings  are available all day..

Wait, what? I always went to Soi Diana when i fancied something simple like toast with jam.. and i was staying just around the corner from The Hideaway at Baku :unsure: Can you please post your menu for the other food you serve?

11 hours ago, JohnDoesPattaya said:

Wait, what? I always went to Soi Diana when i fancied something simple like toast with jam.. and i was staying just around the corner from The Hideaway at Baku :unsure: Can you please post your menu for the other food you serve?

Toast and Jam are not mentioned. But a generous 4 slices with butter and jam for 50 baht and just butter for 40 baht.

We also regularly have croissants at 35 baht. However these are bought fresh and than frozen. Any left the day that they are not sold (once on display) are either eaten by me or binned. New ones out of the freezer.

Hence :

Q: "Are your croissants fresh ?"

R: "Yes, fresh out of the freezer."

However, apart from the fries, chicken nuggets and ice cream nothing else comes out of the freezer. When we have seafood specials the fish or seafood is from Naklua market.

Menu.jpg

On 12/11/2018 at 17:14, Pheat said:

Maybe 15 years ago.

Cashew nuts are expensive in Thailand this is why chicken cashew is  more expensive than similar Thai dish’s.

If you do find a cheap one can guarantee there will not be many cashew nuts in the dish.

I suspected the claim was BS by a know it all but I tried to give him benefit of the doubt and no reply means I was obviously correct.

I have left already but if anyone finds a cheaper decent one it would be good to share in this thread 

9 minutes ago, LDU said:

I have left already but if anyone finds a cheaper decent one it would be good to share in this thread 

Chicken cashew is one of my favourite meals have eaten in dozens of different restaurants in Pattaya over many years .

I have never found a cheap decent chicken cashew .

Cheap ones always skimp on the cashew nuts.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 18:31, Kreggerz said:

That's funny because it really isn't either. It's about average or somewhat below average. As a local, I consider it a convenient place for uninformed tourists but you really can't complain at their prices. So it isn't a tourist trap as that suggests it's a rip off. 

I hate the way the tax is addded when you get the bill and you are pestered every minute by hawkers . Other than that it’s always got a crowd and it’s not good or not bad. I like the spaghetti meatballs for a change from Thai food. 

On 12/11/2018 at 12:27, LDU said:

eh....No ! 

2 hours ago, LDU said:

I suspected the claim was BS by a know it all but I tried to give him benefit of the doubt and no reply means I was obviously correct.

Oregano restaurant, half way up the south side of Rompho Beer Bar Complex on Second Road, Jomtien, serves a large order of cashew chicken with a generous amount of cashews in it for 100 Baht. The pieces of chicken are dipped in batter before being cooked and the portion is large enough that I don't order rice with it, it's a meal in itself. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

17 hours ago, likeaking said:

Oregano restaurant, half way up the south side of Rompho Beer Bar Complex on Second Road, Jomtien, serves a large order of cashew chicken with a generous amount of cashews in it for 100 Baht. The pieces of chicken are dipped in batter before being cooked and the portion is large enough that I don't order rice with it, it's a meal in itself. 

+1 very good food there and large portions.

On 05/11/2018 at 19:39, SirL said:

I think I read that the new Taco Taco would be open from about 20 Oct, and my guess would be that it's located approximately under the red X here.  I haven't been there recently so all this needs confirmation.  Was that where you looked?

319730115_Screen2.thumb.jpg.67c70f94efa9c0663f52945e88c9d784.jpg

I've got to add that that's a part of town I hardly ever go to, in fact I don't think I've ever been on the side sois around there, so to me that isn't a great location.  I'm not sure Taco Taco is enough of a destination to make a trip up there, and I wouldn't normally be casually near there.  However, I do certainly wish her well.

I sent her a message 2 weeks ago on her Facebook about her restaurant that was supposed to open Oct 20  

No reply. 

17 hours ago, likeaking said:

Had chicken with cashew last night there and it was chock full of whole cashew nuts. 

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

1 hour ago, jiz said:

I sent her a message 2 weeks ago on her Facebook about her restaurant that was supposed to open Oct 20  

No reply. 

Now open apparently Pattaya Klan soi 9 between Buakhao and Big C

https://www.facebook.com/TacoTacoTexMex

Edited by socrates
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, likeaking said:

Had chicken with cashew last night there and it was chock full of whole cashew nuts. 

I believe you but I haven't seen a portion in Thailand as big as I get in Canada.  Portions are half the size to about 3/4's at best.  I ordered a breakfast at a pub and it was served on what would be a dessert plate back home (about a 6 inch plate).  I couldn't believe it.

Cashews are expensive, but I just read that they are grown in Thailand...  I'd like to get in on that Cashew Chicken - but I know the portion size won't be like back home.