IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

On 12/11/2018 at 12:27, LDU said:

Ok so where can I get a chicken cashew for 60thb? That was be good to know

One place where you should be able to get it for even less than that is the new Terminal 21 Food court.  I've only been in the one in Bangkok and I've had it there, have a fried egg with it for a bit extra, forget exactly how much but around 40 Baht I think, great value....go back for seconds if you're hungry.

On ‎12‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 13:57, Evil Penevil said:

Thanks for all the suggestions.  That's what will make this thread a useful resource.  I tend to be focused on central Pattaya, so it's good to hear from BMs about restaurants in other areas.

Yup, the Deli Diner is fantastic value for money. I posted pics from my four-course meal there in another thread.  There's a lot on the Deli Diner's menu under 200 baht.

post-9139-0-74619600-1460442838.jpg

One response on another board suggested  Restaurant Le Freelax near the Buffalo Bar.  I'd never heard of it, but it's a small French restaurant that has a four-course set menu for around 220 (or maybe 250) baht. That has to be one of the cheapest set menus in Pattaya.  I plan on visiting it after Songkran.

post-9139-0-81155600-1460442817.jpg

So many restaurants, so little time.  Keep the suggestions coming.

I will.

I will.

Evil

Eaten at Freelax many times, always full of French between 7 and 9pm, which says a lot.

Lots of French classics... coq au vin, souris d'agneau etc. Great sauces.

3 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

I believe you but I haven't seen a portion in Thailand as big as I get in Canada.  Portions are half the size to about 3/4's at best.  I ordered a breakfast at a pub and it was served on what would be a dessert plate back home (about a 6 inch plate).  I couldn't believe it.

Cashews are expensive, but I just read that they are grown in Thailand...  I'd like to get in on that Cashew Chicken - but I know the portion size won't be like back home.

And how much do pay for the large portion serving back home?

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

7 hours ago, likeaking said:

And how much do pay for the large portion serving back home?

$12.  Cashew Chicken comes with chicken fried rice, chicken chop suey, egg roll, won ton soup.  Main is on a 12" dinner plate, I usually take some of it home for lunch the next day.  Never seen portion sizes like that in 2 trips to Thailand.

Pricing, we know that's as different as the portion sizes.  People are smaller there, they eat less food.

Edited by Gibsons1

52 minutes ago, Gibsons1 said:

$12.  Cashew Chicken comes with chicken fried rice, chicken chop suey, egg roll, won ton soup.  Main is on a 12" dinner plate, I usually take some of it home for lunch the next day.  Never seen portion sizes like that in 2 trips to Thailand.

Pricing, we know that's as different as the portion sizes.  People are smaller there, they eat less food.

Comparing apples to apples, maybe you could come close to your home serving if you paid the same 300 baht, or maybe not.

Every hole a goal.

Stop the Vagilantes.

7 hours ago, Gibsons1 said:

So the $3 portion of cashew chicken is smaller than the $12 portion of cashew chicken.

Imagine that!

6 hours ago, jiz said:

So the $3 portion of cashew chicken is smaller than the $12 portion of cashew chicken.

Imagine that!

And the $3 taxi ride is the same as the $30 taxi ride.

On 15/11/2018 at 12:43, likeaking said:

Comparing apples to apples, maybe you could come close to your home serving if you paid the same 300 baht, or maybe not.

KGgO2kg.jpg

Canada ^ , took some home for lunch the next day... (not cashew chicken, it's beef w/vegetable)

IMG_20180516_185226.thumb.jpg.865f8f3ed2e061bf1e6bd556a0b3bf8b.jpg

Thailand ^

And this Thai steak filet was around 700b.

I ate at the Terminal 21 food court in Bangkok, dirt cheap but the portions you were getting weren't anything close to a 'meal' that I'm used to.  If I doubled up on something then it would be a suitable portion.

Of course, in North America you get more food than you need, in a 3rd world country you get only what you should eat.

41 minutes ago, Gibsons1 said:

And this Thai steak filet was around 700b.

I ate at the Terminal 21 food court in Bangkok, dirt cheap but the portions you were getting weren't anything close to a 'meal' that I'm used to.  If I doubled up on something then it would be a suitable portion.

Of course, in North America you get more food than you need, in a 3rd world country you get only what you should eat.

Portion size is completely dependent upon the restaurant you go to in Thailand. I have two of my regular restaurants on Regional land Road that both provide meals that I rarely finish. 50b-80b but neither of these of course is chicken cashew.

Though inspired by these recent postings I will have to ask next time I'm there.

But I don't think a Thai steak at 700b is a particularly fair example as that portion size is also common in the west. Again dependant upon where you go

Tried the Oriental Trattoria today because I read a review in this section and it looked interesting.  12 nationalities included in the menu.  They only had a few items each, so there were not really that many choices.  I live here, so I get many chances to eat Thai food. Decided on the Cheeseburger and coke.  It was listed as 150 baht. 

The burger was ok.  It had an orange sauce on it?. The bun fell apart and the tomato and onions fell out. The fries had an odd off taste.  When I paid, the bill seemed too high for what I got.  It was 265 baht.  I asked to see the menu to check the price.  The waiter brought me a menu that was twice the size of the one I ordered from.  The cheeseburger was listed as 200 baht.  The hamburger was also listed as 200 baht.  I paid the bill, but was sure that I had seen a different price on my menu. As I left,  I picked up a menu and looked.  Sure enough, the price was 150 baht for the cheeseburger and 125 baht for the hamburger.  I know it's only 50 baht, but don't like being fooled like that. 

I told the waiter and tried to show him the menu.  He seemed to know already and didn't really look at the menu.  He said he would give me the 50 baht.  Well, that was something.

Big John

1 hour ago, Hound said:

Tried the Oriental Trattoria today because I read a review in this section and it looked interesting.  12 nationalities included in the menu.  They only had a few items each, so there were not really that many choices.  I live here, so I get many chances to eat Thai food. Decided on the Cheeseburger and coke.  It was listed as 150 baht. 

The burger was ok.  It had an orange sauce on it?. The bun fell apart and the tomato and onions fell out. The fries had an odd off taste.  When I paid, the bill seemed too high for what I got.  It was 265 baht.  I asked to see the menu to check the price.  The waiter brought me a menu that was twice the size of the one I ordered from.  The cheeseburger was listed as 200 baht.  The hamburger was also listed as 200 baht.  I paid the bill, but was sure that I had seen a different price on my menu. As I left,  I picked up a menu and looked.  Sure enough, the price was 150 baht for the cheeseburger and 125 baht for the hamburger.  I know it's only 50 baht, but don't like being fooled like that. 

I told the waiter and tried to show him the menu.  He seemed to know already and didn't really look at the menu.  He said he would give me the 50 baht.  Well, that was something.

Red Card. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hound said:

ordering a cheeseburger at a gaff called 'oriental trattoria'?? lol

You live life in the crazy lane, you lunatic :)

31 minutes ago, jiz said:

Red Card. 

1 hour ago, Hound said:

The cheaper one could have been a lunch menu and the more costly one a dinner menu. This practice is not unuaual in the States.

Every hole a goal.

Stop the Vagilantes.

8 hours ago, Iamkanga said:

But I don't think a Thai steak at 700b is a particularly fair example as that portion size is also common in the west. Again dependant upon where you go

I don't know where you've gone but I've never seen a portion size at a restaurant in Thailand even close to what I posted...

I know it's a little off topic but food is cheaper in Thailand even if they had the same portion size, but it's just the difference between the West and Thailand.  I guess it's one of the reasons why there are less overweight people in Asia as the portion size is much smaller.

Edited by Gibsons1

6 hours ago, likeaking said:

The cheaper one could have been a lunch menu and the more costly one a dinner menu. This practice is not unuaual in the States.

That place is open 24 hours. I really doubt they have different menus for different times there. They don't even serve most of what's on their menu anyway. 

On 17/11/2018 at 14:34, Gibsons1 said:

Exactly. The amount they serve in North America is the problem, not the other way around.

I'm a little late to the Arno's fan club... but onboard now...

Went for dinner... Had their traditional burger... 300grams... includes fries or salad... cheddar or blue cheese... comes with bacon...

The burger was big, fat, and juicy...  Don't see how anyone could eat the double traditional...

Suffice to say, best damn burger I've had in Pattaya...

And even better, the same burger at lunch includes a soft drink...

220b...  25b water (for those of you who cant live w/o knowing the price of water 555)..

Ordering was a clusterfuck... My friends ordered steak and went up to the counter to do that... I waited forever to get the attention of a service person to order my burger... WTF... why the fuck do they have 2 separate systems to place an order... 

Edited by Saddic

On 17/11/2018 at 16:46, Hound said:

My first experience with OT was good, good pizza and pasta but that was 12 months ago. This year I was hoping for the same. Didnt order a pizza but had the spaghetti with meat balls and wasnt impressed. The balls were microwaved to reheat them and the sauce tasted manufactured like something out of a jar. Might try the pizza next time but will give the pasta a miss.

Yes, I agree about Taco Taco. I had their smoky beef burrito and it was excellent. It was 350 which some may think is high but it was very large sized and delivered on flavor, especially the spicing of the beef. I was less impressed with the 120 baht margarita. It was OK. 

On 12/11/2018 at 06:51, Terryofcrete said:

Went there last night after reading a few comments. The prices are very reasonable and quantity wise you could not complain .. but .. Roast pork dinner was more like 2 small pork chops ,very “white”  and not tender . Roast pork that is as thick as a chop needs a bit of chewing . The roast potatoes, all uniformed shape, were undercooked , some moreso than others , hard and gritty.. I hate that. The carrots were not “ al dente” as is the norm now , they were almost raw. Peas were great, cant stand broccoli, my problem , and the mash and gravy were good, but not much gravy, or not enough to add some taste to it. I wouldn’t complain as at 129baht it would more than adequately feed you but it lacked all the taste of a sunday roast. Will try some other dishes as the menu is interesting and the servers are lovely.

I gave it another chance today and ordered the chicken cashew and rice special .. only 89 baht.. not expecting much. A fully loaded plate of food arrived with big white , not stir fiend , chicken chunks, swimming in what seemed more of a gravy  and loads of veg and loads of raw cashews (not stir fried) . Thought it was gonna be ok but one mouthful was enough to let me know that this wasn't Thai style at all and it was horrible . I had a few bit of the tasteless meat and a few spoonfuls of rice. The girl asked me what was wrong and I just said that I like Thai chicken and cashew... but this is for Farang... she laughed out loud ... dreadful ... that's it , no more chunky monkeys for Ter . 

25 minutes ago, Terryofcrete said:

chunky monkeys 

Have given up on CM the prices are very reasonable but the quality of the meals served are well below average CM is catering for the cheap Charlie market where price comes above quality.

Rather spend a few more Baht and get a decent feed at another restaurant.

Edited by Pheat

37 minutes ago, Terryofcrete said:

I gave it another chance today and ordered the chicken cashew and rice special .. only 89 baht.. not expecting much. A fully loaded plate of food arrived with big white , not stir fiend , chicken chunks, swimming in what seemed more of a gravy  and loads of veg and loads of raw cashews (not stir fried) . Thought it was gonna be ok but one mouthful was enough to let me know that this wasn't Thai style at all and it was horrible . I had a few bit of the tasteless meat and a few spoonfuls of rice. The girl asked me what was wrong and I just said that I like Thai chicken and cashew... but this is for Farang... she laughed out loud ... dreadful ... that's it , no more chunky monkeys for Ter . 

ha! I had it the other day as well. I've never had that meal before, so no benchmark.

I'm not fussy at all, but it didn't taste of much, but lots of chicken was a plus. It seemed boring to eat.

I tried the sweet & sour chicken. Better, but same style chicken.

I like the restaurant inside. Spacious, clean, can't hear other tourists jabbering on, aircon not freezing. I like to read my kindle ....food not so important lol. In and out quick.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some decent offers at the Robin Hood Tavern, although I haven't been too impressed by the food on a couple of past visits.

RH.jpg.98a4f4cbf2d145d71ed1173b9e1402df.jpg

RH-1.jpg.b5f525299475d3ba45107f7c4db85c93.jpg

RH4.jpg.03ce7a0b86019cb27a547ddd661efd91.jpg

They may, however,  be a bit optimistic with their Scotch egg promotion.  I wonder if they have been inspired by the story of Robert the Bruce and the spider?  "If at first you don't succeed ..."

RH3.JPG.832b988aae8e1bd4eec56a7992a2d163.JPG

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

On 25/11/2018 at 18:56, Evil Penevil said:

Good news for fans of tacos, burritos, quesadillas and other Mexico-inspired food!   Taco Taco Tex-Mex has opened a new restaurant on Soi  9 off Pattaya Klang, not far from its former stall in the Buakhao Night Market on Soi Buakhao.

Evil

Thanks once again. I am excited about giving this place a try.